LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > General Relationship Discussion

I just destroyed another engagement


General Relationship Discussion Everything else under the sun. Not sure where to post? This is the place!

Like Tree66Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th December 2017, 4:17 AM   #31
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,001
Wouldn't waste my time on a third one even if ya do make it next time l feel a divorce coming on .,
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 2:00 PM   #32
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
Wouldn't waste my time on a third one even if ya do make it next time l feel a divorce coming on .,
I'm positive sure there won't be any serious mistakes on the 3rd one. I've already solve the past cheating issue. Now I'm working on the anger issues.

I still want marriage and kids (at least one kid) one day.
AlteredStarrling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 2:13 PM   #33
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 57,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredStarrling View Post
Hi it's been so long, I wanted to update you all.

I just destroyed my 2nd engagement. On the night of Dec.16 I punched my now ex fiance in the mouth during an argument about our stressful jobs and his meddling parents. It was hard enough to draw a bit of blood. I feel like garbage all over again, the same exact way as when I cheated on my past fiance.

He wanted the ring back immediately after it happened and I gave it. His family and him don't want to hear from he. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.

First I cheated and got caught way back in Sept 2013 (my 1st ex fiance even wrote about his version here long ago; that was really him).
Now this time I committed assaulted and don't know why. I've worked on my issues long ago.
If you were a man hitting a woman like that, you'd be in jail by now. My advice is the same to you that I would give a man...

Get back to therapy. Go to anger management. Fix whatever is still broken inside of you and do NOT enter ANY relationship until your anger and abusive issues are under control.

Good luck and I hope you stay well.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 3:05 PM   #34
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 47,784
Did a quick scan.... 30, engaged twice, socked the last guy, engagement over.

Questions:
After the first engagement ended, boom done, how long were you alone before getting involved? I mean alone. No dating, no gathering male attention, not even flirting but alone working on your stuff. How long?

Why did your mother hit your father? What was going on at home from age 7-12? How old was your mother/father when this occurred?

Since you're apparently still quite young, 30, and engaged twice, men like you, even with your issues. That tells me you're attractive to men. A tall, attractive woman. Can you put down the bottle (men) long enough to get healthy? IDK. Reproductive drive is strong and you mentioned the marriage and kids thing. You may have to handle it like an alcoholic. Today I won't touch those men in any way shape or form. Tomorrow is tomorrow. Sounds easy but it won't be. It'll be hard because, unlike the bottle, the men come to you. They want you. They desire you. Difficult drug to resist.

I'd start with a professional clinical psychologist who has long experience with childhood psychological issues. My bet is you'll find your answers there. Good luck!
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 3:59 PM   #35
Established Member
 
Rockdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredStarrling View Post
It feels as if I were cursed into never getting married or as if the universe was punishing me.
It may "feel" to you some mystic curse is upon you or the universe is against you but I assure you that is not the case. I think your feeling is wrong. The lack of self control by cheating and assaulting a person is all you.

It's not a new thing for any of us to sabotage our own selves at one time or another and some people frequently. When we do we need to look inside of our self even if it takes a professional to help do that.
__________________
Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?
Rockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 6:07 PM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Into the great wide open
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredStarrling View Post
I'm positive sure there won't be any serious mistakes on the 3rd one. I've already solve the past cheating issue. Now I'm working on the anger issues.

I still want marriage and kids (at least one kid) one day.
Don't count on it. You have solved and nailed down cheating and punching issues. There are about a million more things that can come up in the course of complex human beings interaction.

So you resorted to punching . What.were you arguing about? How long did you argue about it. Obviously you were frustrated beyond the point of return and resorted to punching.

You may have anger issues. You may have other issues you aren't mentioning to telling us. What happened and what did they say to you when you.were.in psych ward.

You seem to obsess on the fact that you are 30 and need to have a family. Why? Maybe the fact that you are forcing things is what it causing your interpersonal issues.
jjgitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 1:58 AM   #37
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Depends on the day
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdraw108 View Post
What a ridiculous and sexist thing to say. It's never ok for a man to hit a woman, but sometimes it's ok for a woman to hit a man if they "deserve it"?

That is some really twisted logic.
Why?

Some times itís her only defense. A man can be really aggressive and intimidating with out hitting, to a point where a females only choice is to fight back. I know it has happened. My sister did this in her early twenties and broke up with the guy. The bully was arrested a couple years later for putting his gf at the time in the hospital. So yes, females sometimes have to fight back just to show they wonít be intimidated or bullied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
Ridiculous. The only time a person ever "deserves" to be punched in the face is in self defense (e.g. if he was actively trying to rape her). Clearly that is not the case in the OP.

For everything else, the only thing they "deserve" is to be dumped to the curb.
I am glad you live in a perfect world where everything goes just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredStarrling View Post
Why would a loved one deserve it?
I was never in any danger when this happened.
Why would a loved one bring the person they love to the point that they strike out?

I am glad to hear that you were in no danger. 50% in jest, the rest not so much. I thought you were getting knocked around enough as it was.

There must of been something building up to this point. Just need to figure that out. More then likely better off with out this one if he can get you to the point that he did. Really donít need a repeat.

And yes my wife hit me once, I scared the piss out of her when we were dating as a joke. She didnít see it that way and I took it as what was coming to me. I sure as hell did go running off to mommy crying that she hit me.

Or was it two or three times.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 30th December 2017 at 2:16 AM.. Reason: Merge
usa1ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 2:16 AM   #38
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Depends on the day
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillafool View Post
Yeah, OP is lucky she didn't punch the wrong man. Some men would have punched her back.
This unfortunately is too true.
usa1ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 2:25 AM   #39
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Depends on the day
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredStarrling View Post
It should be assault either way. I did something very wrong and the consequence is losing a wonderful person for good. If he wanted to he could have charged me with assault, which I would have admitted to it.
I'm trying to understand your logic but really can't. If I were the one getting hit, many people would say leave ASAP. He's doing what I would have done too.
As I has said, the times my wife struck out was in play on my part.

Also think about it Iím 5í11 a weighed 188 back then in the military.

My wife was almost 5í2Ē and weighed 105.

She couldnít hurt me if she really wanted to. I would gather her up until she calmed down then start kissing the back of her ear until she was giggling/laughing and trying to get away. We always made up afterwards.
usa1ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 2:50 AM   #40
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Depends on the day
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanman View Post
Curious to hear why you don't agree the idea that it is not right to hit anyone. If you think women should hit men, that is certainly sexist and stupid. Hit someone(anyone) else at the risk of losing your own life. Hit someone bigger and they may just snap and hit you back harder. Being small is no excuse for a lack of self control.

To the OP, I agree with what others have said, you say you have worked through your issues. However, present circumstances disagree with your assessment. Healing is a lifelong process. Work through it with a professional. You may need to be more aware in your next relationship of continuing to work through issues as you progress in your relationship to avoid repeating this pattern. There is a reason you won't allow yourself to be happy.
Because some of my best friends growing up weíre boys I got in a scuffle with or fought by their side.

Sorry but todayís society is raising a bunch of pansies. I was brought up with no blood no foul. We played and played rough. Back yard football was full contact. We were boys, camping, fishing and swimming. I never got into hunting, never could pull the trigger on a deer. Did shoot some coyotes that killed my cat though. Anyway, I guess some people are brought up different then others.

I also believe one more thing, if someone is being a **** because they know they can get away with it. That no one is going to do anything like stop them. What was the phrase he used, what you going to do hit me. Well I did, he stopped be a **** after that. Yes this happened in my early 20ís and maybe shouldnít have but I did. The thing is we got along pretty good afterwards. Buying a beer after it happened could have helped with that.
usa1ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 2:57 AM   #41
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Depends on the day
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredStarrling View Post
I agree there is never a good excuse to get violent except in self-defense, which this wasn't the case and for that I can't be in any relationship at this point.
I'm coming to an understanding where it's coming from and it's among the various things I've listed on my previous post. Though none of that excuses it just like it didn't excuse my past cheating.

I must admit there is something worrying me at this moment. I'm currently 30 years old and clearly not getting any younger. I would love to form a family one day but have to solve my issues at a faster pace. I can't take too long.

I am going to disagree just a little with this. Something triggered your fight or flight response during your argument. If you donít punch people as a everyday thing or this was the first time this has happened. The response was there because of something.

Or you have watched to many tv shows where this has happened and you were conditioned to do it at that point in the argument.
usa1ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 3:05 AM   #42
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Depends on the day
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredStarrling View Post
I'll be booking up an appointment shortly after New Year. Thank you Elswyth.

I'm afraid I disappoint my parents again. I've received the great scolding of my life back then in 2013 for the cheating. This time, they just shook their heads in silence.
I am sorry to hear this. Yes the cheating is on you but for your parents to do this. I could never turn on my kids like that. They mess up and we talk it out now that they are older but to scold you like your a kid. This doesnít help you at all, just makes you feel, well you know how you felt. Sorry, hope you have some good friends to help you with this and to help figure out why you have done what you have.
usa1ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 3:11 AM   #43
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Depends on the day
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1ah View Post
Why?

Some times itís her only defense. A man can be really aggressive and intimidating with out hitting, to a point where a females only choice is to fight back. I know it has happened. My sister did this in her early twenties and broke up with the guy. The bully was arrested a couple years later for putting his gf at the time in the hospital. So yes, females sometimes have to fight back just to show they wonít be intimidated or bullied.



I am glad you live in a perfect world where everything goes just right.



Why would a loved one bring the person they love to the point that they strike out?

I am glad to hear that you were in no danger. 50% in jest, the rest not so much. I thought you were getting knocked around enough as it was.

There must of been something building up to this point. Just need to figure that out. More then likely better off with out this one if he can get you to the point that he did. Really donít need a repeat.

And yes my wife hit me once, I scared the piss out of her when we were dating as a joke. She didnít see it that way and I took it as what was coming to me. I sure as hell did go running off to mommy crying that she hit me.

Or was it two or three times.
Should have been ďdidnítĒ.
usa1ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 6:12 PM   #44
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by carhill View Post
Did a quick scan.... 30, engaged twice, socked the last guy, engagement over.
Yes, that's correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carhill View Post
Questions:
After the first engagement ended, boom done, how long were you alone before getting involved? I mean alone. No dating, no gathering male attention, not even flirting but alone working on your stuff. How long?
After my 1st engagement (at the time, that was my longest relationship ever) ended on Sept 8, 2013 I was single until the ending of 2014. I went on several dates, trying to forget Kent (my ex fiance) but I couldn't get over him. Part of me kept wishing he would just come back and we can start all over again. By late August 2015, I was admitted to the psych ward for trying to overdose myself. Then after spending nearly 2 months in there, I resumed back my dating life. Towards the beginning of Dec. of that same year, I met James (my current ex fiance) and he proposed in Oct 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carhill View Post
Why did your mother hit your father? What was going on at home from age 7-12? How old was your mother/father when this occurred?
She used to be an alcoholic. At the time, she would be drunk and either hit my father or chase both my younger brother and I around the house. My parents are currently 54 years old, both are the same age. My mother is just older than him by two months. She got helped eventually and stopped with the physical abuse but can sometimes still be sarcastic and verbally antagonizing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carhill View Post
Since you're apparently still quite young, 30, and engaged twice, men like you, even with your issues. That tells me you're attractive to men. A tall, attractive woman. Can you put down the bottle (men) long enough to get healthy? IDK. Reproductive drive is strong and you mentioned the marriage and kids thing. You may have to handle it like an alcoholic. Today I won't touch those men in any way shape or form. Tomorrow is tomorrow. Sounds easy but it won't be. It'll be hard because, unlike the bottle, the men come to you. They want you. They desire you. Difficult drug to resist.

I'd start with a professional clinical psychologist who has long experience with childhood psychological issues. My bet is you'll find your answers there. Good luck!
I'm aware of this. I've always looked younger than my actual age; just taller. I'm going to be single for the meantime. Thank you carhill.
AlteredStarrling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 6:33 PM   #45
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgitties View Post
So you resorted to punching . What.were you arguing about? How long did you argue about it. Obviously you were frustrated beyond the point of return and resorted to punching.
Our argument was about our jobs and his meddling parents. He kept working on double shifts sometimes and as a result would come later; that would result in little time for intimacy. His mother's frequent calls asking how everything was going and too many other questions bothered me. In my mind all I could think of is ''Geez let your child breath already, he's not a little kid living with you''.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgitties View Post
You may have anger issues. You may have other issues you aren't mentioning to telling us. What happened and what did they say to you when you.were.in psych ward.
I just remembered an incident I didn't mention and perhaps this is the foreshadow towards the punch. A month prior to that, we had an argument in the morning. After a very stressful day at his workplace, he informed me that he was going to have a couple drinks with his friends and come home right away, which he did. I was sleeping by then.
The following day, I was upset that he chose to hang out with his friends instead of coming home right away. He argued that he hardly even drinks (true, he's not the type to drink a lot) and that he still has time for me now. At that moment I yelled ''that's not enough'' and knocked a couple empty coffee cups and flower vase off the table, all of them fell on the floor and broke. I apologized and he dismissed that.
The psych ward helped a lot at the time. My diagnose was borderline disorder. I slept on a small sofa the first night and then it was on the bed the following days. I was integrated with others who had problems growing up; my support group. We began talking and sharing our experiences. It was a good experience overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgitties View Post
You seem to obsess on the fact that you are 30 and need to have a family. Why? Maybe the fact that you are forcing things is what it causing your interpersonal issues.
I know and yes you're right. Lately I've been obsessing about getting older and not making it on time to form a family. I wasn't that obsessed when I was younger.
AlteredStarrling is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am destroyed.. ApexTitanium Breaks and Breaking Up 14 9th March 2015 3:53 PM
I'm So Destroyed murphomatic Infidelity 437 20th December 2014 11:27 AM
Destroyed Johndoe310 Separation and Divorce 57 29th June 2012 5:30 PM
Destroyed... xx.Kael.xx Breaks and Breaking Up 6 31st December 2009 10:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 6:37 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.