LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Friendship

Speaking online versus in person (pros and cons)

Friendship Having issues with a friend? Get it off your chest!

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th June 2015, 10:06 AM   #1
Established Member

Speaking online versus in person (pros and cons)

Speaking online:

Pros: You have the conversation forever, can speak about private things easier. You have more time to think.
Cons: Not as "real". More anonymous.

In person: pros body language.
Cons: Other people can overhear. Has to be in person.

Can anyone add anything?

Last edited by Liquinn; 25th June 2015 at 10:32 AM..
Liquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Established Member

You can always have sex after you're done talking in person.
gaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 11:15 AM   #3

The pros of online conversation are that you can have it forever, you can talk about private things and you have time to think??

I don't understand the first two at all, but I'll agree that when you're writing as a primary means of communication you have more time to think about exactly what you want and how to say it.

Generally speaking, direct, in person communication, which allows for facial expressions, tone, and of course touch, is much more effective and satisfying.
wizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 11:18 AM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizer View Post
The pros of online conversation are that you can have it forever, you can talk about private things and you have time to think??

I don't understand the first two at all, but I'll agree that when you're writing as a primary means of communication you have more time to think about exactly what you want and how to say it.

Generally speaking, direct, in person communication, which allows for facial expressions, tone, and of course touch, is much more effective and satisfying.
Well, you can talk about things online you may not speak about in public/in person. Plus you have written conversation's forever. That's what I mean.
Old 25th June 2015, 11:31 AM   #5

Not sure I'd want my most private thoughts to be out there in writing forever.

Some day you'll meet a person with whom you can tell your private thoughts to face to face and you'll realize how much better it is.
Old 25th June 2015, 11:35 AM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Not sure I'd want my most private thoughts to be out there in writing forever.

Some day you'll meet a person with whom you can tell your private thoughts to face to face and you'll realize how much better it is.
You have a very important point. What if I have to wait years for that?
Old 25th June 2015, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
You have a very important point. What if I have to wait years for that?
Why would you have to wait years to speak to a person face to face?
Old 25th June 2015, 12:08 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Why would you have to wait years to speak to a person face to face?
I mean - wait years to meet a person with whom I can tell my private thoughts to face to face.
Old 25th June 2015, 12:10 PM   #9

Why do you think it will take years to meet a person with whom you can have a face to face private conversation?
Old 25th June 2015, 12:12 PM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Why do you think it will take years to meet a person with whom you can have a face to face private conversation?
I mean what if I have to wait a few years to tell my private thoughts face to face?
Old 25th June 2015, 12:14 PM   #11
Established Member

It's weird... when I talk in person I feel as though I don't know the person :/
Old 25th June 2015, 12:15 PM   #12

Why would you have to wait a few years to tell your private thoughts to someone face to face?

I don't know what your situation is, but I'll guess your single and looking to meet someone.

At a ripe 52 years of age with a failed marriage behind me and the last 10 years of dozens of first dates and a few long term relationships including the one I'm in right now which is 3 years long and going strong, I can tell you that generally speaking it's easy to meet women, I use online dating sites primarily. I have never been single for more than a month or two my entire life, I am not bragging, nor am I suggesting it's a good thing to go from one relationship to another, I am merely saying that it's not at all difficult to meet new dating partners.

So you put yourself on there, you start chatting and messaging with women, suggest a first meetup, and before you know it you've got someone to talk to with whom you can share your private thoughts face to face. Is there a reason why you cannot do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
It's weird... when I talk in person I feel as though I don't know the person :/
Maybe you don't know them that well. How long have you been with these people with whom you feel that way?
Old 25th June 2015, 12:17 PM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Why would you have to wait a few years to tell your private thoughts to someone face to face?

I don't know what your situation is, but I'll guess your single and looking to meet someone.

At a ripe 52 years of age with a failed marriage behind me and the last 10 years of dozens of first dates and a few long term relationships including the one I'm in right now which is 3 years long and going strong, I can tell you that generally speaking it's easy to meet women, I use online dating sites primarily. I have never been single for more than a month or two my entire life, I am not bragging, nor am I suggesting it's a good thing to go from one relationship to another, I am merely saying that it's not at all difficult to meet new dating partners.

So you put yourself on there, you start chatting and messaging with women, suggest a first meetup, and before you know it you've got someone to talk to with whom you can share your private thoughts face to face. Is there a reason why you cannot do this?
Well, I go into town a lot but I'm much more comfortable speaking about my foot fetish online - but if I speak to a female in person (I never mention it in person). There's no reason. =)
Old 25th June 2015, 12:18 PM   #14
Established Member

It seems like I'm playing it safe by speaking about my fetish online... versus not talking about it in person.
Old 25th June 2015, 12:20 PM   #15
Established Member

For example, I saw a female have a go at a guy over the phone about a month ago. :/