LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Abuse

Rape culture.

Abuse Support for and discussion of psychological, physical, and sexual abuse.

Like Tree139Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th December 2015, 5:11 PM   #46
Established Member

For the record no woman should ever be blamed for rape and any rapist should have the book thrown at him. That being said laws should not be vague and open to interpretation. If it is just a big grey area that nobody really understands then all it does is make every single male into a suspected rapist.
Old 16th December 2015, 7:43 PM   #47
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
No, just men who don’t talk to and care about their prospective partner(s).

Know the person you’re having sex with. Care about him or her. If you don’t understand and trust someone it isn’t a good idea to have sex with him or her whether this law exists or not.

I didn’t read the CA Code section you’re referring to, but here’s something on the “Yes means Yes” laws generally. I agree with this view:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/op...ating-sex.html

I see many benefits to people talking openly with each other, and if it is too awkward or difficult for someone to talk and listen to someone that he or she wants to have sex with, that’s a problem that he or she ought to solve. Be as comfortable talking about sex as having sex.

I can see this impacting stranger hook-ups or people in bad relationships (uncaring, dishonest, intimidation or threats, and the like) but I don’t see the value of protecting those situations outweighing the value of preventing rape.

There are communities that already recognized the importance of affirmative consent and continuing consent by making safe words a standard. So this isn't completely out of left field.
Did you even read the wording of the law?

“Lack of protest or resistance does not mean consent, nor does silence mean consent. Affirmative consent must be ongoing throughout a sexual activity and can be revoked at any time.”

If we are all being honest here, many people don't really ask for sex anyway, it just happens. I have never once in my life came out and asked a woman if I can have sex with her. Now, not only must we come out and ask for sex like a child asks for candy, but as the part in bold states, we must continue asking for permission during the act of sex. This law reminds me of one of those stupid laws that have been on the books for 150 years and people laugh about. Except this law is new. Thanks to feminism, I, along with many other men posting in here, are technically rapists, according to their idiotic law.
enigma32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 8:38 PM   #48
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma32 View Post

“Lack of protest or resistance does not mean consent, nor does silence mean consent. Affirmative consent must be ongoing throughout a sexual activity and can be revoked at any time.”

If we are all being honest here, many people don't really ask for sex anyway, it just happens. I have never once in my life came out and asked a woman if I can have sex with her. Now, not only must we come out and ask for sex like a child asks for candy, but as the part in bold states, we must continue asking for permission during the act of sex. This law reminds me of one of those stupid laws that have been on the books for 150 years and people laugh about. Except this law is new. Thanks to feminism, I, along with many other men posting in here, are technically rapists, according to their idiotic law.
We should actually do this. Stop right in the middle of the act and ask, "Are you ok with continuing?" If they say yes, then ask her to sign an affidavit to that effect.

Then watch what happens.

::grabs popcorn::
sambolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 9:08 PM   #49
Established Member

You guys lack imagination.

"Yes! Yes! **** me! Give my your **** ****! YES!" <--verbal consent
xxoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 9:12 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxoo View Post

Exactly.

And what's sexier than saying, "what's your safeword?" Nothing!

Talking is an aphrodisiac.
BlueIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 9:16 PM   #51
Established Member

Quote:

Great in spirit, lacking in execution.

All she has to do is say "he raped me", in spite of the fact she enthusiastically gave her consent during. But with no documentation to that effect, it's his word against hers. Who would the courts believe based on how the law is written?

Even if we accept the assertion that the number of false accusations are low, it's prudent not to put oneself in a potentially dangerous situation.

Never have sex in California (unless you're David Dochovny).

Last edited by sambolini; 16th December 2015 at 9:24 PM..
Old 16th December 2015, 9:41 PM   #52
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambolini View Post

Even if we accept the assertion that the number of false accusations are low, it's prudent not to put oneself in a potentially dangerous situation.

Given the rate of false accusation vs. the rate of sexual assault, by this logic advise to women would be: never be alone with a man.

Of course, that's absurd.

Women (and girls) live with the risk of sexual assault. The fact that we need laws defining what is and is not consent stems from the high rate of sexual assault.
xxoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 9:54 PM   #53
Established Member

Quote:
Given the rate of false accusation vs. the rate of sexual assault, by this logic advise to women would be: never be alone with a man.

Of course, that's absurd.

Women (and girls) live with the risk of sexual assault. The fact that we need laws defining what is and is not consent stems from the high rate of sexual assault.
And some women never choose to be alone with a man. That's their right.

It doesn't matter if you believe it's absurd. The decision is not up to you, and your feelings are irrelevant.

Consent is a two way street. And some men choose to not consent.
Old 16th December 2015, 11:45 PM   #54
Established Member

Quote:
Great in spirit, lacking in execution.

All she has to do is say "he raped me", in spite of the fact she enthusiastically gave her consent during. But with no documentation to that effect, it's his word against hers. Who would the courts believe based on how the law is written?

Based on how the law is written, the onus is on the man to prove he is not a criminal. This is unlike any other law I can think of, where we are deemed innocent until proven guilty. Luckily, most women are not like the nut jobs that push for laws like this one, so most guys don't have to worry. This is all just another reason to stay away from California. They're doing their best to destroy dating out there.
enigma32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 12:14 AM   #55
Established Member

Quote:

Oh please. Now you are the one sounding ridiculous.

What they are trying to get to are people who have sex with those who are passed out.

All this gobbeldy gook you are dreaming up is likely based on overblown fears some guys might all of a sudden start to worry about if they've become accustomed to having sex with strangers or women they pick up in bars.

There is no crisis here... Just don't stick your d*ck in a stranger, and you are probably A-OK. Sorry. I realize lots of guys have become accustomed to not having consequences for ONS, etc... but you know... fair is fair.
RedRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 12:17 AM   #56
Established Member

Quote:
Based on how the law is written, the onus is on the man to prove he is not a criminal. This is unlike any other law I can think of, where we are deemed innocent until proven guilty. Luckily, most women are not like the nut jobs that push for laws like this one, so most guys don't have to worry. This is all just another reason to stay away from California. They're doing their best to destroy dating out there.

haha... 'dating'. You mean, total strangers having sex with each other is called 'dating'... ok.

California? They invented the hook up culture, lol. Maybe not a surprise that they had to s.p.e.l.l. things out, because, oh... maybe in other states people don't eff randoms with half the frequency that good 'ol CA does.

Gotta love it.
RedRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 12:23 AM   #57
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRobin View Post
don't stick your d*ck in a stranger
Likewise, women should not consensually accept a stranger's dick. I mean, if they don't know the guy, then who knows what could happen?

Like you said, fair is fair.
Old 17th December 2015, 12:25 AM   #58
Established Member

Quote:
Pretty much. I'm from Oregon, but I never go to California. Have no reason to.

Well, I've thought about flying down to southern Cali and staying at a resort, just...because. Why not? But you can be darned sure I wouldn't touch a woman with a ten foot pole while down there. No orgasm is worth that much trouble and a potentially life-changing false accusation.
Old 17th December 2015, 12:32 AM   #59
Established Member

Quote:
Pretty much. I'm from Oregon, but I never go to California. Have no reason to.

Well, I've thought about flying down to southern Cali and staying at a resort, just...because. Why not? But you can be darned sure I wouldn't touch a woman with a ten foot pole while down there. No orgasm is worth that much trouble and a potentially life-changing false accusation.
You have a better chance of being struck by lightning.
jay1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 12:38 AM   #60
Established Member

Quote:
I have been accused of victim blaming on this very website for suggesting that women take practical steps to avoid becoming a victim of rape. Carrying a weapon, avoiding dangerous situations, ect.
If you're suggesting it in a context where the act of rape is being discussed, that's not appropriate. USUALLY, and I have seen it on this site more than once, there is a clear implication that a woman SHOULD have done whatever, and then she WOULDN'T have been raped. That is victim blaming.

Quote:
This is one example of how feminism affects dating:

California Love: Only Yes Means Yes For Sexual Consent
How is that an example of how feminism affects dating? I think it is an example, and a result of how rape has affected the concept of consensual sex. If rape wasn't such an issue, this would not be necessary. It has nothing to do with feminism. I'm sure glad I don't live in California though, that doesn't sound very sexy to me.

Quote:
Aside from the fact that unlike every other instance of crime in the world, the onus is now on the accused to prove that they committed no crime.
Well ... this has NOTHING to do with the California law. And it's not true.

Fortunately, now a rape victim can at least be an "eye witness" to her own rape and her word can count, which is a new development. In very recent history it was quite difficult for a woman to be able to prove that she had been raped. It is a very shameful experience to go through; the steps to PROVE that you've been raped. Believe me, there is a good reason that only 2% of accusations of rape are false, a woman (or a man) would have to be completely nuts to put themselves through that just for revenge or attention.

Anyway, there is no way I am going to get into a discussion of false rape accusations in the same post where actual rape is being discussed.
SoleMate likes this.

Last edited by Rejected Rosebud; 17th December 2015 at 12:40 AM..
Rejected Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote