Can you be unbaptized?

• Author
So what is the criteria to be excommunicated?

I think abortion is one as a ill friend was pregnant and the fetus had downs syndrome and her preist said she would be tossed outta the church.

H may opt for an abortion to get out of the church :lmao:

I still don't think excommunication can 'undo' a baptism?

I think abortion is one as a ill friend was pregnant and the fetus had downs syndrome and her preist said she would be tossed outta the church.

H may opt for an abortion to get out of the church :lmao:

I still don't think excommunication can 'undo' a baptism?

Well , you could try knocking up your husband , good luck.Perhaps just get a doc to write up something for him , just like for work.

I personally have never been tossed out of a church , sounds as if it is a bit painfull...couldnt they just ask you to leave? Well, perhaps its more dramatic and final if they toss you out. On the other hand the preist may be responsible if your friend miscarries due to being tossed about. Im sorry , Im having a very insensitive day today.

Don't worrk A4, surely between all of us we can come up with an unbaptizing ritual , but remember to patent it.

• Author
Well , you could try knocking up your husband , good luck.Perhaps just get a doc to write up something for him , just like for work.

I personally have never been tossed out of a church , sounds as if it is a bit painfull...couldnt they just ask you to leave? Well, perhaps its more dramatic and final if they toss you out. On the other hand the preist may be responsible if your friend miscarries due to being tossed about. Im sorry , Im having a very insensitive day today.

Don't worrk A4, surely between all of us we can come up with an unbaptizing ritual , but remember to patent it.

yes it must have a patent and we can sell it on an infomercial for 3 easy payments of $19.95 :D

Well heck you can get save on TV for a personal check why not unsaved.

I think we need to involve some incense or something that smokes in this ritual.... maybe burning biscuits or flaming marshmallows?

yes it must have a patent and we can sell it on an infomercial for 3 easy payments of $19.95 :D

Well heck you can get save on TV for a personal check why not unsaved.

I think we need to involve some incense or something that smokes in this ritual.... maybe burning biscuits or flaming marshmallows?

I don't know A4, it could become too much of a cultist thing . We would want to come across as idol worshipers , so well really have to work on this thing . Incense could be good , but it seems too much like buddhism. Whats not already taken, marshmallows was a good idea , or perhaps we could burn Styrofoam instead , just to get the chemical compounds swirling . No checks by the way , too risky , Visa MasterCard discover and debit cards are really the way to go these days. Ahh , i missed you my fellow entrepreneur.

• Author

I believe a marshmallow is the perfect tool for a debaptism.It is soft, yet holds it shape..... combustible, smooth, powdery, flat and round,

(Form a circle of 13 around the subject.)

yes all behold the power of the flaming marshmallow.... bow before it and say onto thee....... oh fine and fun foodstuff made of ground hoof and bone I ask thee to to debaptise me in the name of the snowcone, the fudgebar, and the holy marshmallow.

Now cast ye flaming marshallows at the debaptisation subject.

and it is done.

Ohh thats good ,the flaming marshmello would however leave a scar notifying the rest of the world of the unbaptism ceremony .Personally , I take unbaptism to be a private thing , so if anyone asked the H about his scarring he could tell them to mind their own Fing business. This just adds to the allure .

no, as others have said you can't be unbaptised unless you have a time machine.

but why would your hubby want to be? surely the church only has any hold over him while he's a part of it. baptism is a relgious convention, not a legally binding agreement, and once you've broken bonds with the religion it should cease to be important what they did to you.

trying or wanting to be unbaptised would suggest he's giving baptism validity, for other people if not for him, and it looks like he's wanting to make a statement against it. but if you simply don't believe in god, the ceremony was only a ridiculous service when a strange man watered you. it has no meaning. so why seek to undo something that has no meaning?

when i tell people i'm no longer a catholic, some of them say 'once a catholic, always a catholic'. who the hell made that one up? is that like a genuine rule? because if it is it's made up by people who probably want to strike the fear of god into me for leaving the church. but since i've left the church i clearly don't have a fear of leaving it.

so it's a made up rule by people who don't scare me and who i give no power to. you think it bothers me what those sorts of people think or how they want to label me? not even a tiny bit. i know i am no longer a catholic. tell your husband he's answerable to no one and he doesn't need to contemplate giving validity to a ceremony, by seeking to reverse it, that has no meaning for him.

burning 4 revenge

i think once a catholic always a catholic means part of your personality was influenced in its formative years by your catholic upbringing. in this day and age of so many laxadasikal catholics it has less validity. if someone was baptised a catholic, but rarely went to church or cathecism growing up and they attended public schools and were raised in secular households then the influence that the church may have had on them was only marginal at best.

if, on the other hand, you had relatives who were priests, went to church every sunday and oftentimes more, went to catholic school from day one and your mother said the rosary every day and gave you books to read about the saints like some kids read about baseball heros then it probably left an impression on you. it certainly did me. i will always be a catholic at my core despite my lack of belief in the supernatural. it is a part of me more fundamental than being an american. much more. for some reason i identify with being a catholic more than ethnicity and nationality and certainly much more than political affiliation.

i think that's what they mean.

I am no longer a catholic either. Religion in my opinion is a joke. I mean, when I WAS attending catholic school earlier in my life, I went to confession. Years later, I found out that priest was arrested for molesting alter boys about 20 years later.

So...does that mean my sins weren't forgiven then? Telling them to a bogus priest??

I just don't respect religion. I've 'de-religioned' myself years ago.

I believe in God and he IS a VERY big part of my life. Just don't trust nuns, priests...and all that garb.

Um...a4a, I haven't been following this whole post, but is your H atheist?

i think once a catholic always a catholic means part of your personality was influenced in its formative years by your catholic upbringing. in this day and age of so many laxadasikal catholics it has less validity. if someone was baptised a catholic, but rarely went to church or cathecism growing up and they attended public schools and were raised in secular households then the influence that the church may have had on them was only marginal at best.

if, on the other hand, you had relatives who were priests, went to church every sunday and oftentimes more, went to catholic school from day one and your mother said the rosary every day and gave you books to read about the saints like some kids read about baseball heros then it probably left an impression on you. it certainly did me. i will always be a catholic at my core despite my lack of belief in the supernatural. it is a part of me more fundamental than being an american. much more. for some reason i identify with being a catholic more than ethnicity and nationality and certainly much more than political affiliation.

i think that's what they mean.

you could well be right. but, i have to say i'm one of those people who doesn't tend to carry bad experience baggage. i can carry it, i have at times carried it, but i can also choose not to and mostly i choose not to.

i kind of sail through life without the cares that other people seem to have, i genuinely do. so i don't feel my catholic upbringing (fairly strict, though it was) has affected me negatively. one day i just looked catholicism in the face, saw it for what it was and for what it wasn't, decided it wasn't for me and moved on unhindered. i don't look back at it with regret or feel it stole anything from me. it simply gave me a chance to grow past it, and for that i'm grateful.

but i will never be a catholic again, despite my experience of god. i will never belong to any religion again.

trying or wanting to be unbaptised would suggest he's giving baptism validity, for other people if not for him, and it looks like he's wanting to make a statement against it. but if you simply don't believe in god, the ceremony was only a ridiculous service when a strange man watered you. it has no meaning. so why seek to undo something that has no meaning?

Exactamundo. It's like flying into a rage every time the ex is mentioned; the true sign of not caring is precisely that - indifference. By paying baptism so much attention, he's giving it too much significance. It's not like he was tattooed or scarred. It was a bit of water and oil, long since washed away.

There are a lot of kids with no parents in Africa. Perhaps your troubled man could devote his spare think time to a genuine problem.

I happen to be a religious guru. I can answer the question any way you want. And if you want me to unbaptize you I can do that too. Just as soon as I'm finished unburning my incense and un-spinning my prayer wheel.

• Author
Exactamundo. It's like flying into a rage every time the ex is mentioned; the true sign of not caring is precisely that - indifference. By paying baptism so much attention, he's giving it too much significance. It's not like he was tattooed or scarred. It was a bit of water and oil, long since washed away.

There are a lot of kids with no parents in Africa. Perhaps your troubled man could devote his spare think time to a genuine problem.

:lmao: :lmao: give me a break Guest, we spend hours and hours everyday thinking how we can solve the problems of the world! :lmao: famine, war, and disease.

Careful you might fall off that high horse one day and smack some sense into your melon.

H is still considered a member of his church... an inactive member... he has not attended church since he was a child. He is still counted as a catholic by the catholics. I think a person has a right to remove their name from a church and declare themselves not affiliated with a religion. Their name should not be able to be used when they are an unwilling participant. IMHO.

If his parents signed him up for the NRA as a child as an adult he certainly should have the right to remove his name from their list of 'willing members'.

He does not give a crap about proving he is not a catholic to them, but does not like the fact that they still sent solicitations, prayer propaganda, and most likely still use his name and member count records for their own agenda.

This is not a huge life changing event. Far from it. It was a dinner topic. :lmao:

And yes he is a devout athiest.

H is still considered a member of his church... an inactive member... he has not attended church since he was a child.

Being on a parish list means little - except possibly to historians and genealogists. Is this all up his nose because he gets occasional mailings? If so, it shouldn't be a problem to get his name off the mailing list. He doesn't need to be 'unbaptized' to do that.

He is still counted as a catholic by the catholics.

Again, huh? What - they send him a membership card every year? Publish a list of members with his name on it? If so, again, ask to have it removed. If not, then why do either of you give a flying flip?

I think a person has a right to remove their name from a church and declare themselves not affiliated with a religion.

People completely misunderstand the concept of 'rights' but that's another story. Tell ya what - why doesn't he take out an ad in the New York Times and the Washington Post declaring himself not Catholic anymore. That would really get the message out there.

Their name should not be able to be used when they are an unwilling participant. IMHO. [\quote]

Again, not exactly an earth-shattering issue.

He does not give a crap about proving he is not a catholic to them, but does not like the fact that they still sent solicitations, prayer propaganda

So the real gist of the problem is he's on one parish's list and that parish wastes a ton of bucks every year mailing out mailings to people who should have been declared 'non-responsive' years ago. If anything, he should be pleased that he's sucking funds out of their hated coffers because they're too dumb to cull their mailing list. It's an administrative issue. So write a letter. How big a deal is that? Geeze.

and most likely still use his name and member count records for their own agenda.

Oh lord help us. Now it's the Catholic 'agenda'???? ROTFLMAO!!! oooo ooo - one Catholic parish has bad administrative practice - run in fear, ye atheists - for the Day of Doom cometh - ye shall be part of an Administrative Count!!!

IMHO this is small stuff that didn't need this level of sweating.

• Author
Being on a parish list means little - except possibly to historians and genealogists. Is this all up his nose because he gets occasional mailings? If so, it shouldn't be a problem to get his name off the mailing list. He doesn't need to be 'unbaptized' to do that.

Again, huh? What - they send him a membership card every year? Publish a list of members with his name on it? If so, again, ask to have it removed. If not, then why do either of you give a flying flip?

People completely misunderstand the concept of 'rights' but that's another story. Tell ya what - why doesn't he take out an ad in the New York Times and the Washington Post declaring himself not Catholic anymore. That would really get the message out there.

Their name should not be able to be used when they are an unwilling participant. IMHO. [\quote]

Again, not exactly an earth-shattering issue.

So the real gist of the problem is he's on one parish's list and that parish wastes a ton of bucks every year mailing out mailings to people who should have been declared 'non-responsive' years ago. If anything, he should be pleased that he's sucking funds out of their hated coffers because they're too dumb to cull their mailing list. It's an administrative issue. So write a letter. How big a deal is that? Geeze.

Oh lord help us. Now it's the Catholic 'agenda'???? ROTFLMAO!!! oooo ooo - one Catholic parish has bad administrative practice - run in fear, ye atheists - for the Day of Doom cometh - ye shall be part of an Administrative Count!!!

IMHO this is small stuff that didn't need this level of sweating.

Well guest you don't seem to want to even be affliliated with your own post ..... unwilling to identify yourself. But preach on about wanting to not be counted or have your name used. :rolleyes:

The point is he does not believe or support the beliefs or the REAL POLITICAL AGENDA of the church. He does not feel that he should be called a catholic and used for that purpose. So it is real. He is not anti gay marriage, he is not anti birth control, he is not anti abortion.....but being counted as a church goer and a baptised catholic they do happily use those numbers as leverage for their purposes.

So it is something to sweat if indeed you have strong beliefs. You do want any affiliation with a church erased. Would church goers like brochures from satanist delievered to their home? Actually the waste of trees to make the paper mailings is probably more annoying then the actual crap written on it.

they do happily use those numbers as leverage for their purposes.

Oh really? Boy it's fun when people talk about the gay 'agenda' or the Catholic 'agenda'. So what, exactly, is this 'agenda'. Please do enlighten us. What are 'their purposes'????

Would church goers like brochures from satanist delievered to their home? Actually the waste of trees to make the paper mailings is probably more annoying then the actual crap written on it.

SO ASK TO HAVE HIS NAME REMOVED FROM THE MAILING LIST.

This is not rocket science.

Trust me......it only matters to God.

One of your concern is if they're going to use his name as a, "Church goer", or his body count to their advantage......can you please listen to yourself for a second, and realize how ridiculous that sounds?

First of all, they can't use his name without his consent.

Being a member doesn't give the Church a right to use his name for ANY agenda unless HE knows about it first hand!

Another concern of his/(yours), (I'm guessing), is that he/(you) want to be seperated from the Church completely.......

From the sounds of things, he already is.....

Catholics don't wait until the age of accountability to babtize their flock. So your husband didn't have a chance to make a choice whether or not he wanted to follow that particular sect.

It didn't lock him into any comittments......call the Church, make sure he's not on the member list, and if he is, tell them to remove him.....it doesn't take an act of congress.....

Then, I would suggest to look for a Church home that is comfortable to you, WITHOUT thinking about political agendas. That's not what Church is for.....

• Author
Trust me......it only matters to God.

One of your concern is if they're going to use his name as a, "Church goer", or his body count to their advantage......can you please listen to yourself for a second, and realize how ridiculous that sounds?

First of all, they can't use his name without his consent.

Being a member doesn't give the Church a right to use his name for ANY agenda unless HE knows about it first hand!

Another concern of his/(yours), (I'm guessing), is that he/(you) want to be seperated from the Church completely.......

From the sounds of things, he already is.....

Catholics don't wait until the age of accountability to babtize their flock. So your husband didn't have a chance to make a choice whether or not he wanted to follow that particular sect.

It didn't lock him into any comittments......call the Church, make sure he's not on the member list, and if he is, tell them to remove him.....it doesn't take an act of congress.....

Then, I would suggest to look for a Church home that is comfortable to you, WITHOUT thinking about political agendas. That's not what Church is for.....

Church is not for political agendas........ :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

okay....... ummmm hummmmm...... maybe a few but most are about pushing their beliefs through politics.

For cripes sakes I gotta tell you if you can stand up and say churches and religions do not have political agendas you are a tad on the ......... well lets say your head is in the sand.

No thanks to any church....we don't believe in Santa or god. :lmao: Although both are great money makers... hell of a marketing ploy. :D

being counted as a church goer and a baptised catholic they do happily use those numbers as leverage for their purposes.

lol ... A, they do not "count" him among the numbers unless he is a registered member of a parish. If you're not on a particular parish roster, and you've identified yourself (or someone has ID'd you) as Catholic, the assumption is that you belong to a parish somewhere. Unless you announce that you're lapsed and don't belong to any parish.

the baptism thing, I think B4R nailed it: even if you are baptized into the Church, the depth of your Catholicism is reflected in your practice of it. If he was dunked as a baby but really has not practiced his faith, he's still considered one, and only excommunication can remove him from the circle, so to speak. But that still doesn't address the baptism question. Unless he publicly renounces it? Must check with the collars up the hall, maybe they've got a better understanding of this.

For cripes sakes I gotta tell you if you can stand up and say churches and religions do not have political agendas you are a tad on the ......... well lets say your head is in the sand.
You think??

I'm well aware of the secular views of the Church.....so I can understand why you'd say something like this.......

• Author
being counted as a church goer and a baptised catholic they do happily use those numbers as leverage for their purposes.

lol ... A, they do not "count" him among the numbers unless he is a registered member of a parish. If you're not on a particular parish roster, and you've identified yourself (or someone has ID'd you) as Catholic, the assumption is that you belong to a parish somewhere. Unless you announce that you're lapsed and don't belong to any parish.

the baptism thing, I think B4R nailed it: even if you are baptized into the Church, the depth of your Catholicism is reflected in your practice of it. If he was dunked as a baby but really has not practiced his faith, he's still considered one, and only excommunication can remove him from the circle, so to speak. But that still doesn't address the baptism question. Unless he publicly renounces it? Must check with the collars up the hall, maybe they've got a better understanding of this.

Well according to the research I found the catholic church will not allow you to resign like other or some other religions will. And they will still count you as a catholic regardless even after death.

So when using stats of catholics of voting age to get leverage yes my H could be counted as one who should hold the same views as the catholic church. Which is a pisser because it certainly is not true at all.

As for the actual belief that a ritual of unbaptism is needed .......that is not the desire..... he is not catholic in him mind or heart in any way shape or form. But would like the papertrail to clarify this......does not give a crap about the spiritual sense of it at all...... as there is no spiritual sense involved.

If you find a quick way out to divorce the church I am sure he would deeply appreciate it. :D