Define Alcoholic

IhavenoFREAKINclue

If I ask how they strap bombs to terrorists..am I one of them and that I am on the track to being one?

No but it would possible indicate a compulsive paranoia with terrorism, if you're not likely to run into terrorists.

I'm just saying.

If you don't have a problem it would never occur to you to even explore this line of thinking.

But see... Just b/c i ask...doesnt mean I have a problem..I'm asking IF my situation is a problem.

If I ask how they strap bombs to terrorists..am I one of them and that I am on the track to being one?

I think it is who your are asking that makes my statment true.

If you ask YOURSELF if you have a problem.. then you do.. because non alcoholics do not ask this of themselves.

I don't think that by you asking us if you have a problem makes you an alcoholic..

But something tells me that before you asked us you have asked yourself the same question..

See where I'm coming from ?

If you don't have a problem it would never occur to you to even explore this line of thinking.

Thank BO.. that is what I was trying to say

Have to agree. A person with NO problem doesn't even really question whether they have a problem..because it's not a problem.

Why are you even questioning it? Does it bother you that you get drunk without meaning to? Why is your b/f even bringing it up?

If you have a problem it doesn't mean you're a bad person you know. It just means your brain is hard-wired differently from some other people.

It's good that you are thinking about this.

See... to me...Denial or not..I feel its to keep my hands busy b/c i get bored while watching a movie b/c i'm not doing something else.

And you do know this has nothing whatsoever to do with keeping your hands busy, don't you? It's to achieve an altered state of consciousness. You have an addiction plain and simple.

The knitting thing maybe have been a joke but if it were REALLY a simple matter of keeping your hands busy you WOULD take up knitting or needlepoint or some other thing, like puzzles or something. Some of us know this has nothing to do with your hands and EVERYTHING to do with your brain and your addiction.

And you do know this has nothing whatsoever to do with keeping your hands busy, don't you? It's to achieve an altered state of consciousness. You have an addiction plain and simple.

The knitting thing maybe have been a joke but if it were REALLY a simple matter of keeping your hands busy you WOULD take up knitting or needlepoint or some other thing, like puzzles or something. Some of us know this has nothing to do with your hands and EVERYTHING to do with your brain and your addiction.

It wasn't a joke. I was serious because she was using having to keep her hands busy as an excuse.

If you really do have a need to keep your hands busy I guess my question would be why do you choose to keep them busy with a joint or beer?

It wasn't a joke. I was serious because she was using having to keep her hands busy as an excuse.

If you really do have a need to keep your hands busy I guess my question would be why do you choose to keep them busy with a joint or beer?

Ok, sorry...bad wording on my part. I know you didn't mean it as a joke. I was actually agreeing with you. It was a VERY good point. There are other things she could be doing with her hands (that came out sounding funny!) other than holding an addictive substance.

That's why I called her on that.

• Author
IhavenoFREAKINclue

Well..I roll a joint with my hands..i hold the beer in my hands...That would be use of my hands.

It was a VERY good point. There are other things she could be doing with her hands (that came out sounding funny!) other than holding an addictive substance.

Like that..And l;ike i said..something that isn't borin...I would paint the room or something....But it just so happens i dont have paint lying around the house

See... to me...Denial or not..I feel its to keep my hands busy b/c i get bored while watching a movie b/c i'm not doing something else.

okaaaaaay.

You don't even realize how silly it sounds, to use the "hands need to be busy" excuse. I can think of a lot of other, non-inebriating activities, that you can keep your hands busy with much more effectively....

I mean how busy are your hands, smoking a blunt or levering a beverage from your hand to your mouth? I've rolled a million blunts, baby. And you and I both know that, from start to finish, the whole process takes less than 20 minutes. If your hands always have to be busy you must smoke like 4-5 blunts just during the time you watch a movie.

hello lung cancer.

Well..I roll a joint with my hands..i hold the beer in my hands...That would be use of my hands.

Like that..And l;ike i said..something that isn't borin...I would paint the room or something....But it just so happens i dont have paint lying around the house

and there is nothing else that you can think of that isn't boring to keep your hands busy?

Also if you get so bored watching TV that you just have to drink of smoke up why don't you do something more engaging. Like go for a walk, bake, get some paint and paint that room. Play video games. keeps your hands very busy.

I think you don't really want advice you more interested in justifing your behavior.

• Author
IhavenoFREAKINclue
and there is nothing else that you can think of that isn't boring to keep your hands busy?

Also if you get so bored watching TV that you just have to drink of smoke up why don't you do something more engaging. Like go for a walk, bake, get some paint and paint that room. Play video games. keeps your hands very busy.

I think you don't really want advice you more interested in justifing your behavior.

I dont necessarily have to roll a blunt or drink a beer....but i dont have another interest (meaning everything else is boring to me or i just haven't found something i'm interested in). See...when I play video games..I dont wanna drink or roll a blunt or do anything except concentrating on killing the guard at the front door.

Then if you don't HAVE to then what's the problem? Then just don't. And you never answered my questions...if it's truly not a problem then why did your b/f even bring it up.

You sound just like me some 20 some odd years ago. I was in denial too. Hope it doesn't take YOU as long as it took me to swim out of that river BO talked about.

Oh and one more thing. You asked me what other things you could be doing with your hands. Well I already mentioned puzzles and needlepoing and knitting was brought up.

But you know what? I could mention MANY more things but it won't matter. You know why? Because you'll shoot each and every one down. All so that you can continue to justify getting drunk and high. Of course you will choose that over any other activity. Why? Because you're ADDICTED. That's what addicts do.

She isn't ready to quit yet..

She hasn't reached her bottom and until that happens she is only going to justify her behavior..

That is what alcoholics do.. It is a denial based disease..

The fact that she is inquiring about her drinking shows me that she is on the track to sooner or later seeing the light , reaching her bottom and then giving up the drink for good and for all..

Being an alcoholic is not the worst thing that has ever happened to me..

The things that I did and ruined while drinking were however..

Stopping drinking Alcohol was the best thing I have ever done though..

It saved my life.. over 19 years ago

I love who I am..and embrace the fact that I'm an alcoholic and the fact that I no longer cause pain to those who love and care about me.

• Author
IhavenoFREAKINclue
Why? Because you're ADDICTED. That's what addicts do.

Ithink our definition of an addict is different. To me...Can't live with out and having it ruin your life is a SERIOUS addidction. I'm addicted to cigarettes but it wont ruin my life.

ANd i wouldn't shoot down anything..Puzzles, knitting, crocheting are all boring to me.

Ithink our definition of an addict is different. To me...Can't live with out and having it ruin your life is a SERIOUS addidction. I'm addicted to cigarettes but it wont ruin my life.

I have to call you crap on that one. Sitting next to my father while he is dying from lung cancer lately..... While he gasps for air even though he has oxgen 24/7. While he can't freaking eat because a tumor is compressing his esophegus. While he can't whisper more than 2 words at a time before he starts coughing.

No, actually. Smoking cigarettes is ruining your life.

But like with any other addiction, you never realize how much it ruins your life, until the damage has been done.

• Author
IhavenoFREAKINclue
But like with any other addiction, you never realize how much it ruins your life, until the damage has been done.

You are 1000% right. I just figured...cifgarettes is a long term effect. So yes your right. It does ruin your life but not til downt he road.

I'm talking about addictions that take immediate effect on someones like.

You are 1000% right. I just figured...cifgarettes is a long term effect. So yes your right. It does ruin your life but not til downt he road.

I'm talking about addictions that take immediate effect on someones like.

most addictions take a while to ruin your life.

• Author
IhavenoFREAKINclue

OK..Now let me get to my question....What am I? Borderline..Should I watch out..And I recrational user.

On a side note....When we go out to a bar....sometimes i dont feel like drinking (B/C I'm dancing and keeping busy...)

OK..Now let me get to my question....What am I? Borderline..Should I watch out..And I recrational user.

On a side note....When we go out to a bar....sometimes i dont feel like drinking (B/C I'm dancing and keeping busy...)

Come on...Are you even reading the thread ????

that series of questions is answered all thru it..

you just want to hear that you are not so you can go back to your hubby and say " See , I told you I'm not a drunk "

Read the thread.. Print it out if you have to.. but read it..

And I have lost 2 parents to lung cancer from cig smoking.. so yes you are doing damage to yourself..

Neither of my parents that died got a chance to see their grand children

since you're unable to controll you're alcohol consumtion. You husband has mentioned it and you're unsure and you get drunk and or stoned at least 4 times a week you're an addict.

I'm sorry but I'm getting a hundred different answers.

No, you're not. You're only getting ONE answer. And why won't you answer about your b/f. He's close to you right? What exactly does he say to you?

Ok, I'll spell it out. You're addicted to alcohol. Doesn't matter if you don't ALWAYS want it. Not all of us who are addicted want it ALL the time. So that doesn't prove anything.

Ok, let me help you out here. Let's probe inside the mind of a person addicted to alcohol.

. See if any of this rings a bell, ok?

"I would love to have a beer or two while watching this movie (or while doing the laundry or while doing nothing or just fill in the blank..could be anything). I'll only have a couple though. Two maybe and that's it."

Later on after the two beers have been drunk.

"Oh who cares? Who am I hurting...think I'll have a nother one. What's the harm. I'm perfectly fine anyway. Just chilling out. What's the big deal?"

And so it goes until you're drunk.

"Well I'm not addicted because I don't drink every day and lots of times I don't want to drink at ALL. Just because my b/f says I have a problem...well what does he know? He drinks too anyway."

Other things that might go through the mind of an alcoholic:

"Well I worked hard today, I deserve to have a few. If so and so doesn't like it, tough. I'm not bothering anyone."

"Ok, I'm going to go one week without drinking at all."

One week can be VERY difficult if not impossible. And that will be your first clue right there that you have a problem.

Can you go one full week? Even if you CAN doesn't mean you DON"T have a problem but something tells me one week wouldn't be that easy for you.

You're not telling us enough for us to know how deep you're in with it. But you've said enough for me to recognize alcolic/addictive type thinking.

Those of us who have addiction problems are especially good at recognizing it in others. Like the saying goes...it takes one to know one.

And I believe you're one.

I went on the wagon and have not had any alcohol for 18 days. For about the year and a half before I was drinking 2 to 3 beers per day on average. One day I may have had one and the next day 3 or 4. It varied. But I usually did not drink to get hammerd, just to relax. Was I considered an alcoholic?

About two and a half wks ago I just lost the desire for any booze at all. I don't know what happened.

That's all I'm gonna ask..No elaboration.

I haven't read through the whole thread, so if any of this has already been said, you know why.

IMHO, an alcoholic is someone who:

-Drinks just to get drunk and pass out

-Is incapable of having a few drinks with friends just for the sake of socializing

-Even after receiving a DUI, OWI, OWIL, or jail time, still continues to drink

-Can't say no to an alcoholic drink when presented to them