• Author
I might be. I know Ms. Otter struggles with things far greater than employment issues. Although I'm sure she didn't need this at this particular time. She knows I hope the best for her, but I think this employment thing is something I cannot offer any particular advice or assistance on. So if I was at least able to make her smile or laugh that's about all I have. If I failed even to do that, then at least Alpha and I got something out of it.

I laughed, and then I thought about it for a second. Then after about 15 minutes had passed I had to wash my hands,too.

Hey B_O !!

Sorry about your job !!

The guy was a dumba!! and not a very good employer.

It had more to do with him and nothing to do with you. and I applaud you for sticking up to him and just being yourself.

:)

• Author
Hey B_O !!

Sorry about your job !!

The guy was a dumba!! and not a very good employer.

It had more to do with him and nothing to do with you. and I applaud you for sticking up to him and just being yourself.

:)

AC! good to see you. I thought it was "smell you later" for good, this time...:laugh:

AC! good to see you. I thought it was "smell you later" for good, this time...:laugh:

I'm just popping in.. I needed a fix.

Thanks..

Nice to see the clown has entered the ring...

Thanks girl .... i've been swamped with all the new server changovers here at work as well as I'm in a new relationship ( going on 2 months )

• Author

Thanks girl .... i've been swamped with all the new server changovers here at work as well as I'm in a new relationship ( going on 2 months )

Art's got a girlfriend! Does this mean the position of "asian ball polisher" is no longer open?

Art's got a girlfriend! Does this mean the position of "asian ball polisher" is no longer open?

Yeppers that postition has been filled. :(

I was so looking forward to having you polish my balls :lmao:

I did meet her on match.. she is the only non-crazy I was able to find.

We will see if it lasts.. who knows..

My future has not been written yet

I'm just popping in.. I needed a fix.

Not my fault...........:p

B_O you'll find a better job! And if not, when I win the lottery and buy a StarBucks franchise, you can work with Merin! :laugh::p

I would strongly suggest you not be a personal assistant to anyone, especially some ******* like that. Who needs that ****?

napoleandynamite

actually, some managers really need to cut out the whole "do my personal errands" deal. as an assistant myself, i've come across things such as having to do work for my manager's spouse's job! which i feel is totally wrong in itself. we are all here to work for one company, so why am i doing work for another company because it happens to be my boss's husband? when you sign a contract that states your title to be exec asst,etc, and the contract mentions nothing about performing work that invovles personal errands, that you should not be doing that! legally, that's considered harrassment, unless the job was contracted as a personal assistant or an executive assistant/personal assistant-or even if it mentions in the employee contract that taking care of personal matters for your boss is an expectation of the job.

where i work, one of my boss's gave me a personal assignment to do for her husband's company. as cruel as it sounds, i make it the least of my work priorties. i am in charged of two people in uppper management-the vp and the president/ceo. that's a big job, especially since it requires getting together reports, presentations, meetings, travel, etc for them (at all times) . and the reports & presentations i do for them require quite a bit and even the little things are a "task" since things NEVER work out easily, and it winds up taking up most of my work day. my job is to walk in there and work for these people so OUR COMPANY GROWS. So my question is, why should i be doing research, typing, notes, etc for my boss's husband's company when i wind up putting in overtime to do work, real work, for THE COMPANY WE WORK FOR??? i can see, if i have down time, i will get right on it, but if she sees i'm busy supporting her & the president, maybe doing work for the company is more of a so-called "top priority".

BO....

you really have to watch out for some of these "ASSISTANT" jobs or any job that requires you play support role, as they may really invovle the title Personal Assistant, and mislead you with the word Executive Assistant, Secretary, Administrative Assistant, Office Manager, Paralegal, etc. Don't be afraid to ask on you next few interviews if the job you are applying for requires you be a personal assistant...even if an interviewer will tell you there may be some instances where you will take care of their personal problems, that may be their way of telling you , you'll be more like a second wife or husband to them.

BO, if being a PA is what you like, by all means, do it and good luck. if this is not what you want, NEVER be afraid to be COMPLETELY HONEST about your career goals and the type of job YOU are looking for. All I am saying, is be more thorough in your job search and especially on your interviews. dig as much as you can and be honest about your motives. this will avoid a bad match in the future and both you and your future employer will be much happier.

Good luck!:)

If you are a manager and you can't manage your own piddley social life without an assistant, if I was the boss I would fire your ass.

napoleandynamite

To be perfectly honest with you, assistant jobs are not as easy as people think. Now, I'm not saying it's a bad job-granted, it has it's good points such as diversity. But overall, an assistant job means you deal with tedious details that are headaches and no one else wants to deal with them, that is why they hand it over to the assistant. "Make me six copies of this document, "call my client and tell him I'm stuck in traffic and running late", "the airport lost my luggage, go find it and fill out these forms", "book me a flight to San Francisco, and I only want a specific airline at a specific time", "get my husband's winter jack at the dry cleaners." That's what being an assistant really is for the most part. Some project can be fun, otherwise a majority of the work is like being their slave to tedious details and the worst of it can managing the details in their personal life-and for one, I think that is totally wrong. But whatev-

As I told you previously, try to do some career soul searching and see what other jobs may suit you. Do you have a degree/certificate? What is it in?

burning 4 revenge

Many eons ago I worked as a runner at a law office and was fired for screwing up their lunch order. I never did anything else wrong, but I'd only been there two weeks, so I guess I was disposable.

Many eons ago I worked as a runner at a law office and was fired for screwing up their lunch order.

you should have filed a lawsuit :laugh:

call 1-800-AMB-CHSR

• Author
But whatev-

As I told you previously, try to do some career soul searching and see what other jobs may suit you. Do you have a degree/certificate? What is it in?

Eh, I have a BS in psychology. A useless undergraduate degree if there ever was one. I'm applying to grad school right now in the hopes that I too will one day be able to have an assistant that I can harass with issues I drag into work from my personal life, and vent all of my personal frustrations on.

Have you ever seen the movie "swimming with sharks"? Ok so it involves some horrific violence, but it's darkly funny.

I don't even know. I'm 27 years old and I don't know what to do with my life. There I said it.

Anyways I'll probably end up doing taxes again this year. That was a great job. Cake.

Have you ever seen the movie "swimming with sharks"? Ok so it involves some horrific violence, but it's darkly funny.

I think some bosses would see the Buddy character as a role model of manliness rather than as a caricature. In these days of so many people wanting to play the bad guy, perhaps we should all start stocking up on duct tape, rope and sharp edged paper.

napoleandynamite

Holy sh*t! you sound like my twin!!!!

I mean in regards to your life.

Anyway, yes, I have seen swimming with sharks~my favorite movie (speaking from someone with a BA in Film & Communications!). Best movie! I alway tell my co-workers to watch it!

Hi BO,

A really good friend of mine has a BS in Psych too. She's not in the field, but its really helped her along the way.

I have a Hon. BA in Philosophy. Tell me, what's more useless? LOL.

Actually, I'm grateful for my degree on a daily basis. I write everyday... its part of my job, I use logic all the time... its part of my job, and if I did some psych courses, I would have much better interpersonal skills... a must for my job and I can be much better at it.

At 27, I was still deciding which direction I wanted to take my career. 6 years later, I'm really happy with what I do.

As per hoping to have an assistant to take your frustrations on, there's such thing as Karma. You're x boss will get his. I found that in all the years I've managed various teams, I found that you get much more out of people by being kind and setting clear boundaries than being like that x boss of yours. Great to keep staff retention too.

I have also found (in my line of business, I rely on various groups of resources) that feeding people you work with is fabulous. It is so hard for people to yell at you or refuse you help after you fed them. What's that saying again about biting the hand that feeds you?

Good luck with your application to grad school, I think you'd be great!

Eh, I have a BS in psychology. A useless undergraduate degree if there ever was one. I'm applying to grad school right now in the hopes that I too will one day be able to have an assistant that I can harass with issues I drag into work from my personal life, and vent all of my personal frustrations on.

I don't even know. I'm 27 years old and I don't know what to do with my life. There I said it.

Anyways I'll probably end up doing taxes again this year. That was a great job. Cake.

I'm applying to grad school right now in the hopes that I too will one day be able to have an assistant that I can harass with issues I drag into work from my personal life, and vent all of my personal frustrations on.

So you are applying to grad school in the sciences, then? Law school or med school maybe? Cause any kind of humanities grad degree? = no assistant. Just thought I'd give you the heads up. :lmao:

Yay for applying to grad school - - no matter what kind you choose, you will be appreciated there.

napoleandynamite

grateful:

What do you mean when you say "any kind of humanities degree=no assistant?"

I find degrees in the arts or an arts-related field can end up nowhere, so most humanties-type majors wind up playing support roles in the workforce. Hint-the saying "a starving artist".

Disregard this if I misunderstood you.

• Author

Actually that was an emotional response. I don't want an assistant. I wouldn't know what to do with one because I would never give them anything to do because I am a control freak. :rolleyes:

I don't even know wtf to do in gradschool. oh lord. I could do psych. I could get a MFA in creative writing. THat seems like a fun, but ultimately useless degree. I could go back ang get an accounting degree. Yarg. I could lay here like a head of broccoli. I mean all those options sound nice.

Why does everyone else seem to just know what they like to do? I like to do everything. I hated having to get a specific degree in anything because I really just liked and did well in all my classes. I chose psychology because it gave me enough elective classes to get a minor in asian religions and take accounting classes too.

I keep reading books, looking online, I have a journal with information about various career aspirations that I began 13 years ago when I started high school. 13 years I've been trying to figure out what the hell to do with my life and I can't figure a g-d- thing out.

why don't you test for one of those assessment for vocation?

they ask you a million questions - then tell you what field would best suit you...

• 2 weeks later...

Do you take any responsibility for your inability to stay employed? Seems like it was more important to you to make a point to your boss that he shouldn't mix work and personal life than it is to just do the job. Why do you resent him getting a soccer schedule faxed to him? Why is it so much trouble to just get it to him? What's the big deal? You don't have to LOVE being an assistant but why not just do it?

I don't want to sound harsh but i think it might help you to figure out how to keep a job and leave on your terms. It doesn't matter how smart you are, or even how right you are. You need to learn how to be a grown up and live in the world. I don't think it makes sense to be pure adn self righteous victim--the only person it hurts is you. Also, unless you have a trust fund or can live off family, how are you going to take care of yourself? There are millions of workers in the USA who don't have the privledge to let themselves get fired. It's not fair, it's not right but it is what it is. If you want to change it you need to first be able to take care of yourself. Then you can be in a position to do something about the fact that workers are treated like **** in the USA and can get fired for absolutely NO REASON. It's a paradox but it is what it is.

A very good friend of mine lost a well paying job with excellent benefits. Someone called about not getting a fax. It wasn't her fax so she didn't think it was her problem. Technically it wasn't her problem but it was more trouble to take the message than it was to run down what the hell happened to the fax. IT probably wasn't that particular fax debacle that got her fired--it was just indicative of a resentful attitude that the office didn't want to deal with. So they didn't. The company was wrong. They suck. But she's the one who doesn't have a job.