I love drinking...way too much...

• Author
I am trying to quit, I have been a heavy drinker for 5 years now. I managed to stop for 3 months last year but the dreaded drink pulled me back. I wouldnt class myself as an alcoholic as such, I mean I dont get up in the morning and drink, but I will drink 3-5 cans a night. It's definately something that im trying to stop.

Morph.

It seems to me that it would be even harder to quit in the UK, since there's quite a "drinking culture" over there, am I right? Three months is nothing to sneeze at! Did you completely quit or did you

only drink on the weekends or with friends, etc.?

RecordProducer

Maybe you're depressed. But in Europe a general practitioner doesn't diagnose clinical depression - psychiatrists do. So I think it's a bit unserious to read a list of questions and derive a conclusion like that. You could very well have a 100 other disorders together with depression that causes you to drink.

Just because I am not a doctor doesn't mean that I should blindly trust every doctor. If some people do, i think it might be dangerous for their own health. I've seen doctors making mistakes due to lack of skills.

You said yourself that you think people get depressed from drinking, not necessarily vice versa. I know women who are not depressed and drink. I was one of them. i was drinking during the happiest times of my life just like during the lonely or boring or medium or normal or busy times. It made no difference.

Finally this is your life and whatever helps you is good. So you got the Prozac and Ativan... and what are you going to do with your drinking? Simply stop? Do you think that Prozac and Ativan will make you stop drinking? I certainly hope so.

In North America, the medical societies have developed practice guidelines for family physicians to diagnose and treat depression.

whichwayisup

Start going to some AA meetings, get a sponser too.

And, I do hope this DR is helping you as well - You can't just take the stuff he gave you and that's that. Therapy is important. Talking and sorting out WHY you're turning to booze.

Keep posting and stay strong. You can do this!

Well, in my case I already know why. I'm addicted. I turned to alcohol when I was 17 to deal with my social anxiety and it worked like a charm. I came to rely on it more and more and became addicted. It's as simple as that.

As I got older, I used it as an escape. I escaped bad boyfriends, boring jobs..you name it. It was my recreation, my down time. It was everything.

It enhanced the good times and let me wallow further in my misery when I was miserable.

So I already know all the sorry ass reasons WHY I turned to it. And now, I know and understand and realize WHY I need to turn my back on it.

Today is day 6 for me. I had a very hard time earlier this evening. The desire gripped me like a vise and wouldn't let go for awhile. But I remained strong while feeling very weak.

If I can do it, anyone can.

• Author

T - glad to hear you made it through the day, I know it's hard.

This is day 2 for me, and it hasn't been that bad. Maybe it's because I kept busy today. Maybe that's my problem...need more hobbies...

Anyway, thanks to everyone here at LS for your support. It's nice to have folks to talk to about this. You guys rock! :)

T - glad to hear you made it through the day, I know it's hard.

This is day 2 for me, and it hasn't been that bad. Maybe it's because I kept busy today. Maybe that's my problem...need more hobbies...

Anyway, thanks to everyone here at LS for your support. It's nice to have folks to talk to about this. You guys rock! :)

I'm so glad you made it through yesterday, KC! Yes, keeping busy does help. The first few days weren't bad for me. I'd say yesterday was the toughest but it was tough for about an hour only. I can live with that.

Today is officially a week for me. Haven't gone this long in a long time.

Yes, it's really great that you started this thread KC. I'm so glad you did. Thanks!

I am trying to quit, I have been a heavy drinker for 5 years now. I managed to stop for 3 months last year but the dreaded drink pulled me back. I wouldnt class myself as an alcoholic as such, I mean I dont get up in the morning and drink, but I will drink 3-5 cans a night. It's definately something that im trying to stop.

Hey Morphius and KC,

The label of alcoholic can be all sorts of things... It doesn't have to mean that one wakes up in the morning and drinks. I certainly don't.

There are tests one can take on line to see if one is an alcoholic. Or go see someone. Binge drinking actually qualifies.

The label of problem drinker is one that I thought I was for a long time. But then I realized that pretty much any problem with it at all makes one an alcoholic. I don't have the kind of control over it that I thought I did. I'm working hard on having it. The last black out made me realize that I was farther in that I thought I was. Since then, I've cut way back.

Good for you on being able to say that you need to stop!

I wish that I was ready to do so too. Not just yet. I mean, hey, I had control for 8 years, right? I can do it again. I'm probably fooling myself and lulling myself into a sense of complacency about it. But I'm still drinking. Just not like I was 3 weeks ago.

Kudos!

KC, how's it going?

I'm on Day 8. Yes, it's gotten easier. I had no desire yesterday. And I think it's a little easier when you're busy.

• Author

I've been feeling pretty good, actually. I've made it a point to go out and be around people. Wednesday I hung out at a local bookstore, people watched, etc. Yesterday I kind of did the same, at Starbucks (which I normally hate but that's neither here nor there :p ). I took care of some things around the house and spent a good hour or so on the phone with a friend listening to her problems. It sort of felt good not focusing on myself all the time. Tonight a friend and I are going to hang out; we'll probably watch Sex and the City and bitch about men. Usually we do this with wine; we'll probably replace it with chocolate and other junk foods. :laugh:

IME, the initial phase is not half as difficult as later one, for me it was about 3 months into my sobriety, and then 6 months.

This is why it is essential to have a support system in place as well as plans for what to do when you are overcome with the urge.

The worse is, of course, when you experience difficulties in your personal life. Breakups. Death of a family member. Loss of a job. Natural disaster. It could be 5, 10, 15 years down the line. You must always be vigilant.

• Author
IME, the initial phase is not half as difficult as later one, for me it was about 3 months into my sobriety, and then 6 months.

This is why it is essential to have a support system in place as well as plans for what to do when you are overcome with the urge.

The worse is, of course, when you experience difficulties in your personal life. Breakups. Death of a family member. Loss of a job. Natural disaster. It could be 5, 10, 15 years down the line. You must always be vigilant.

Did your support system come mainly through AA or did you have friends and family helping you as well?

It seems to me that it would be even harder to quit in the UK, since there's quite a "drinking culture" over there, am I right? Three months is nothing to sneeze at! Did you completely quit or did you

only drink on the weekends or with friends, etc.?

Lol. Yeah we love a good pi** up over here, Completely quit last time, And gonna have to do it again if I want another shot (no pun intended. lol) with the Ex.

Morph.

I myself am a functioning alcoholic. I went to counseling which was to help me get out of a legal problem. I was arrested for trespassing, wouldn't have been sober. Anyway here's the scary and sad part:

One counselor pointed out that the majority of us in the group would be back in treatment at some point, especially the younger functioning alcoholics like myself. The reason is we have not yet experienced bad enough consequences to really take abstinence seriously. I think he is right. I did not stop drinking. People like us will have to hit rock f***ing bottom before we really quit.

He was telling the truth. I verified this by talking to people at aa meetings, they agreed. Unless you can find it in yourself to really stop for good you're on a long downward spiral that will eventually bring you to your knees. I worry for my future. Yours too.

• Author

T - So far, so good.

Outcast - Tell me about it. Sometimes I think the alcohol and I take turns being in control; sometimes I'm in control, sometimes its in control.

That probably makes no sense. :rolleyes:

Blue Streak - I agree, it's very scary. Alcohol and socializing go hand in hand, at least in my world. Take away the alcohol, and the socializing is a lot harder to do, which is why I'm reluctant to give it up completely. That, and I'd have to explain to everyone in my family why I'm not having wine with dinner, as usual.