Bragging

Kittiecat

excuse me K_C...but are not your salary and how nice your Apt is related? I mean, generally, isn't it the folks with the big salaries who have the nicest "digs"???

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Not everyone flaunts how much money that they make and I am sure that they still get some action.

kitten chick

Depends. With rent stabilization and the large jumps in pricing within blocks you could be making little money and still have a sweet place. There are a lot of variables. The things that people take for granted in the rest of the country are huge deals to us. Like having a washer and dryer is absolutely unheard of. My friend's parents who are multi multi millionaires have them but I've never met anyone else who does. Let's not even get started on balconies.

kitten chick
Not everyone flaunts how much money that they make and I am sure that they still get some action.

Most of the most whorish guys I know are the ones that make next to nothing...if they're employed at all.

Most of the most whorish guys I know are the ones that make next to nothing...if they're employed at all.

I can imagine that. i was just saying that an individual does not have to show off how much money that they make just to get someone of the opposite sex to notice them.

that's usually how conversations go, though. is he really trying to one-up you? or just adding to the conversation?

Yeah, they are. I don't know if I can describe it, but it is glaring in person.

A lot of dudes from Detroit could beat the snot out of the SF metro/homosexuals :laugh:....In addition, where will everyone go when the "big one" hits SF, like something 8.9 on the Richter scale leveling 70% of the city.

A lot of the homosexuals in SF could beat the snot out of just about anybody. Go to the SF Eagle and call onr of those guys a f*g. I dare you. :laugh:

When the big quake hits they'll move to Nevada. They are doing that already.

I think it's okay for a person to draw other people's attention to their talents and abilities. Particularly if their talents are continually being overlooked because the focus is on some mediocre attention-seeker. Example: a writer has just had his/her "baby" published, and sees all the critical attention going to some celebrity who's pushing their ghost-written autobiography.

That writer has every right, in my view, to react by pressing home the point that they are a genuine writer who put the necessary time and effort into their work. That's a natural, indignant reaction to seeing an artistic parasite getting underserved plaudits.

As for people who brag constantly about their material possessions....if they're showing off something that they created then that's great. They're drawing attention to their talent and workmanship - and in a world where people have got used to simply buying whatever they need rather than making it, that's something to show off.

If someone's showing off something they've bought - well, fair enough straight after the initial purchase when they're excited about it, but anyone who seriously derives their self esteem from the things they own can't have a huge amount going for them other than their financial status.

kitten chick
I can imagine that. i was just saying that an individual does not have to show off how much money that they make just to get someone of the opposite sex to notice them.

True. I just like proving Alpha wrong.

• Author
Kittiecat

Wow! Great responses, thanks everyone!

It's funny that a lot of the responses are primarily about people who brag about material goods, etc. My friends hardly ever brag about those things, mainly because most of us are just trying to pay bills, save up a little cash, or take the odd weekend trip here and there.

I often ask myself if it really is the green eyed monster that makes me get annoyed with the bragging of this particular friend. Who knows, maybe she is extremely tuned in to any and all flirtations! Even if that is the case, she gives me far too many details and analyses, which makes me think she's maybe embellishing a bit. Lord knows I'm not without my own insecurities, so that could be a factor as well. I think sometimes I'm just too sensitive and need to learn how to tune out! :rolleyes:

As for the rich, with their shiny cars and huge houses -- I work for a relatively wealthy man, and you would never know it by looking at him (except when he drives his BMW). :cool: My thinking is that if you really do have lots to brag about, you don't need to brag at all because your accomplishments will speak for themselves!

• Author
Kittiecat
I think it's okay for a person to draw other people's attention to their talents and abilities. Particularly if their talents are continually being overlooked because the focus is on some mediocre attention-seeker. Example: a writer has just had his/her "baby" published, and sees all the critical attention going to some celebrity who's pushing their ghost-written autobiography.

Good point, it's extremely unfair when attention goes where it isn't deserved, but that's life unfortunately! I think that's why so many artists "sell out" - who wants to constantly be in the shadows? That's why TRUE fans of literature, music, or whatever, so deeply appreciate TRUE artists who aren't just in it for the money and fame.

HA! Did I use enough cliches? icon10.gif

• 2 weeks later...
ronnieromance

Pfft...I never brag. I don't have to. I have great hair (to hell with all you people who say mullets are out!), I'm Hung (It's my last name, Ronnie Hung, so you can save the jokes, I've heard tham all before) I got t3h real good grammer and sepeling in grade school, and I make enough money to be here

Did I mention humble?

-R-