Bragging

Kittiecat

It is true that SF has way too many hipster douchebags, but it is still pretty and has some really fun bars. Of course, I don't think it is all that cool or I'd move there. I mainly go to see shows, as most bands I like don't come to where I live.

Actually, when he insults SF it is as if to say it isn't REALLY urban, only Detroit is urban. SF is really a bunch of hicks who don't really know what a city is all about. He bags on NYC a lot, also. Nothing cool has ever come from there, and it isn't all that badass or urban or have any good clubs or whatever. He has never been there, either (I have and I love it).

Now that I think about it, the even worse kind of braggart is the one hwo has to one-up everything. Like someone will ask me how my weekend was, and I will realte a funny instance or whatever and then here comes the "oh, once when I was out blah blah blah" as if it is funnier and cooler and my weekend was lame compared to whatever happened to him however long ago. I hate it. It's funny that these guys are always the ones who try to invite themselves along with me and my friends when we have plans to do something.

NYC is a great city. I used to live there and I can attest to that.

TeaCooler
I

Now that I think about it, the even worse kind of braggart is the one hwo has to one-up everything. Like someone will ask me how my weekend was, and I will realte a funny instance or whatever and then here comes the "oh, once when I was out blah blah blah" as if it is funnier and cooler and my weekend was lame compared to whatever happened to him however long ago. I hate it. It's funny that these guys are always the ones who try to invite themselves along with me and my friends when we have plans to do something.

that's usually how conversations go, though. is he really trying to one-up you? or just adding to the conversation?

Trust me there is something seriously wrong with a city that produces Ted Nugent, Eminem, Kid Rock and Insane Clown Posse.

Please don't judge Detroit based on these clowns listed above. Yes the city is a mess financially and they do have lots to do before the city is considered nice again but they have made some amazing strides in the downtown area. All that you need to do is stay in the downtown area and it is a great time.

As far as bragging is concerned, I believe that people do brag to make up for the parts in their lives that they may lack in. You can be proud of your accomplishments, but bragging is a whole different level.

alphamale
It is true that SF has way too many hipster douchebags, but it is still pretty and has some really fun bars. .

A lot of dudes from Detroit could beat the snot out of the SF metro/homosexuals :laugh:....In addition, where will everyone go when the "big one" hits SF, like something 8.9 on the Richter scale leveling 70% of the city.

A lot of dudes from Detroit could beat the snot out of the SF metro/homosexuals :laugh:....In addition, where will everyone go when the "big one" hits SF, like something 8.9 on the Richter scale leveling 70% of the city.

Yeah...with their 357's.

blind_otter
that's usually how conversations go, though. is he really trying to one-up you? or just adding to the conversation?

This is my thing. I don't know, because if I don't add my experience, the conversation usually dies because I go, "OH, that's really cool. I love that place." or whatever and then where do you go with the convo?

Things like this make me all woogy when it comes to socializing with people. I get freaked out that they will misinterpret me so I end up not saying anything and look like a bitch. Well more of a bitch tahn I really am.

I think it's a fine line. I've heard people follow a someone else's story with "You think that was crazy, let me tell you what happened to me when..."

Sometimes that sentence goes unsaid but it's implied in the way they almost interrupt you to tell you their story, emphasizing points that are all matched up to the points that you've made in yours.

A story merely inspired by yours will go off on its own tangent and won't directly correspond to your points and emphasis. I am still careful with these kinds of stories because in some cases even if it is just inspired by the conversation and not meant to one-up someone, it can still be stealing someone's thunder.

I agree with Moai - this kind of braggart is the most annoying because they really aren't interested in you but in being better than you.

Yeah...with their 357's.

Hey I got one of those sitting on my kitchen counter (legal and lic.)

SW 500........ I am just bragging. :lmao:

It has a name:

The Solution. :lmao:

SOB is so heavy I cannot hold it up to fire it, I guess I could club a burglar with it tho? :lmao:

I guess some people define themselves by the "stuff" they collect more than others and can't stop talking about it. It is annoying when you mention you have a modest new toy coming and are immediately told "dude, you need to get ..." someone's more expensive version at home with features you don't want enough to pay for. Like it's not okay to be excited about upgrading unless it's to the very best available. Well, this is the kind of person I don't get too close to because shopping and stuff are not on the forefront of things I care about.

Hey I got one of those sitting on my kitchen counter (legal and lic.)

SW 500........ I am just bragging. :lmao:

It has a name:

The Solution. :lmao:

SOB is so heavy I cannot hold it up to fire it, I guess I could club a burglar with it tho? :lmao:

Gives new meaning to... don't mess with a4a's a$s. (ref a4a's avatar)

alphamale
I guess some people define themselves by the "stuff" they collect more than others and can't stop talking about it. It is annoying when you mention you have a modest new toy coming and are immediately told "dude, you need to get ..." someone's more expensive version at home with features you don't want enough to pay for.

Americans have written the textbook on consumerism...

Art_Critic
Well, this is the kind of person I don't get too close to because shopping and stuff are not on the forefront of things I care about.

I know it has been my experience that the younger I was the more emphasis I put on things.. Fast Boats or Fast Cars.. Stereos Big Houses..Cool Expensive Clothes

The older I got I learned that that s*** doesn't mean anything and now I just care how fulling my life is regardless to the stuff in it..

I think they call it Maturity

Adunaphel

People who brag a lot either bore me or really get on my nerves.

I can't stand expecially those that brag AND always -I mean always- have to get much more than their fair share of attention when hanging out with friends.

I tend to see it this way: if we both are in a group, the attention is never reparted equally, but if you are always bragging and showing off, you are taking attention away from everyone else, *including me*.

I am shy, and I find bragging very tacky, but shy people need attention too. :)

I found out that irony and an "I am not impressed" attitude have helped me a lot. After a while, most braggers will find someone else to brag with.

On a side note, the person who annoyed me the most is an ex friend of mine, a *very* beautiful girl who was always bragging about about nice things guys did for her, hot, funny and rich guys she dated, places she went to on holidays, presents she got from her boyfriends.

This is probably due to the fact that I'm very insecure about my looks, and certainly not one of the hot chicks. ;)

Had she been of the insecure kind herself, I wouldn't have bothered me so much. :)

A male friend of mine would often brag about how intelligent he is, also, because of what his idea of "being honest" is, if he believes that he is more intelligent than his girlfriend or any of his friends(95%of them), it is perfectly natural for him to tell them so.

I find it very amusing. :)

People who brag a lot either bore me or really get on my nerves.

I can't stand expecially those that brag AND always -I mean always- have to get much more than their fair share of attention when hanging out with friends.

I tend to see it this way: if we both are in a group, the attention is never reparted equally, but if you are always bragging and showing off, you are taking attention away from everyone else, *including me*.

I am shy, and I find bragging very tacky, but shy people need attention too. :)

I found out that irony and an "I am not impressed" attitude have helped me a lot. After a while, most braggers will find someone else to brag with.

On a side note, the person who annoyed me the most is an ex friend of mine, a *very* beautiful girl who was always bragging about about nice things guys did for her, hot, funny and rich guys she dated, places she went to on holidays, presents she got from her boyfriends.

This is probably due to the fact that I'm very insecure about my looks, and certainly not one of the hot chicks. ;)

Had she been of the insecure kind herself, I wouldn't have bothered me so much. :)

A male friend of mine would often brag about how intelligent he is, also, because of what his idea of "being honest" is, if he believes that he is more intelligent than his girlfriend or any of his friends(95%of them), it is perfectly natural for him to tell them so.

I find it very amusing. :)

Most of these type are just trying to get recognition and approval from others. They feel as though a part of their life is missing or they are not happy with the way that their life is going, so they have to use what they have to the fullest extent, or the person is just FOS.

I know it has been my experience that the younger I was the more emphasis I put on things.. Fast Boats or Fast Cars.. Stereos Big Houses..Cool Expensive Clothes

The older I got I learned that that s*** doesn't mean anything and now I just care how fulling my life is regardless to the stuff in it..

I think so too.

alphamale

like I said earlier...there is nothing wrong with "bragging" as long as you have the goods to back it up.

like I said earlier...there is nothing wrong with "bragging" as long as you have the goods to back it up.

But why brag? If you have got the goods, then you should be proud of yourself. Why would you need assurance from others? There is a fine line between sharing your good news with someone and rubbing it in their face.

Adunaphel
Most of these type are just trying to get recognition and approval from others. They feel as though a part of their life is missing or they are not happy with the way that their life is going, so they have to use what they have to the fullest extent, or the person is just FOS.

You are surely right, I will try to keep it in mind next time I find myself in front of one of those type. :)

Isn't it sad that some people brag just because they would like more approval, and yet by doing so they get exactly the opposite effect?

You are surely right, I will try to keep it in mind next time I find myself in front of one of those type. :)

Isn't it sad that some people brag just because they would like more approval, and yet by doing so they get exactly the opposite effect?

Don't let it get to you. Just be proud of yourself and your accomplishments. In one ear and out the other, thats what i think.:D

Nah Art you are just used to having that kinda stuff around. So to you it is no big deal.

I tell ya people are impressed by stuff even if they want to deny it.

Come on now..... :lmao::p

Lets say you got a new swimming pool and were telling your friends about it, inviting them over ect.... cost comes up in the conversation with a group ect.

It is not always bragging, but conversation itself. However some person in that group who would like a pool and is jealous may think that I am bragging about a concrete hole in my back yard. To me it is conversation about a pool is all.

Like my our friend and the ferrari.... it is just a car to me. Good for him if that is what he wants, take me for a ride after you buy it :D ..... zoom zoom more power to him :D

Adunaphel

Yes, but never, ever:

-brag about your brains with someone whose brain is sharper (and has a good sense of humor)

-brag about your looks with people who have a reputation for being brutally honest.

- brag too much about your money/income/car with some girls. They'll think you suck in bed. :)

alphamale
- brag too much about your money/income/car with some girls. They'll think you suck in bed. :)

money/income/car are much more important to many women than you think they are...

Art_Critic

the trick is to brag about your money/cars WHILE your banging them :D

kitten chick

Here it's all about your apartment. People couldn't care less how much you make and nobody has cars, it's all about your digs.

alphamale
Here it's all about your apartment. People couldn't care less how much you make and nobody has cars, it's all about your digs.

excuse me K_C...but are not your salary and how nice your Apt is related? I mean, generally, isn't it the folks with the big salaries who have the nicest "digs"???

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.