Small talk?

Alpacalia

I went out on one date with this man a couple years ago.

Mirroring [UPDATED] - Cheating, Flirting, and Jealousy - LoveShack.org

As our date came to an end, I kindly declined his offer for a second date. I expressed that I valued our connection as friends, but felt nada romantically.

Flash forward a couple of years: We hung out a couple of times as friends. He wanted to clarify if I am still only interested in friends because he wants to make sure he handles his interactions towards me appropriately moving forward.

We haven't met up since, but he frequently texts me with random things like invitations to his shows or funny videos.

He sent me a clip related to sex out of the blue. It was a spoof on something and it made me laugh and I didn't find it offensive, so I just responded with a smiley face. Then he mentioned wanting to book a hotel for back-to-back shows, and while I thought it was his personal business, I couldn't help but wonder why he was telling me.

Since then, he has been flooding my inbox with messages with memes and jokes making our conversation lighthearted and fun.

He messaged me before he started the second half of his show, and I wished him good luck.

I suppose he's just making small talk. But he's just mostly sharing memes and videos? Normally he's very talkative.

I’m not sure if I should be ignoring these messages which I've been doing for the most part but I have responded occasionally. 

Gebidozo

If I were sending lots of funny memes and videos with sexual innuendo to a woman and telling her about booking hotels, that would mean I’m interested in that woman romantically. 

• Like 1
Wiseman2
11 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

.We haven't met up since, but he frequently texts me with random things like invitations to his shows or funny videos.Since then, he has been flooding my inbox with messages with memes and jokes making our conversation lighthearted and fun. But he's just mostly sharing memes and videos? 

It sounds like you're on his fan mailing list and he sends them to everyone. Like newsletters to stay on his fans radar. Doesn't seem like personal communication.

• Author
Alpacalia
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I don't think he's sending those messages for romantic reasons. It was just friend dates. I did wonder if he was hinting at being up for 'casual fun' which is why I haven't really responded.

If he were interested in more than friendship, I feel like he would be more direct and not just send funny videos and memes. But maybe then he's okay with us now hanging out as friends only? He did infer from the last time we were supposed to hang out that he wasn't sure if meeting up was a good idea in the event that I only viewed this as 100% platonic.

So maybe he values my friendship but doesn't feel the need to pursue anything more romantically.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 1
Weezy1973
7 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

So maybe he values my friendship but doesn't feel the need to pursue anything more romantically.

Do you value his friendship? It’s really hard for most folks to just turn off attraction. His desire to not meet in person anymore suggests he’s okay with an arms length (I.e. online only) “friendship”, but would have a hard time keeping this romantic feelings at bay were you to meet in person. 

• Thanks 1
  • Author
Alpacalia
On 4/23/2024 at 5:05 PM, Weezy1973 said:

Do you value his friendship? 

I do value his friendship but I wasn't sure how to navigate this because I've not been in a situation where we went on one date and then became friends after that. My one male friend, never dated or had romantic interest in the other I have had since I was eight, another for 10+ years, never dated, albeit he did tell me a few years after we had been friends that he fell in love.

We are still friends but it took some distance and time before we could close that chapter. 

Foxhall

Some guys will hang around-keep the friendship up in the hope it might eventually escalate to more,

I dont mind personally having just friendship- even enjoy brother /sister type relationships on occasion,

but it can become draining perhaps where there is an indication that one side wants more and you dont feel that way yourself,

you can become bored at the thought of meeting them continuously,

Its hard to force attraction either, its either there or its not -Could I call that Za Dater syndrome- you know you cant force attraction or make yourself attracted to someone and vice versa if your not feeling it,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Author

Yeah, I mean, everyday he is sending me memes and videos. I feel like sending memes and videos isn't really quality friend time...