Ex partner won't let go (update - he's threatening to show my pictures)

5 hours ago, AlphaFemme99 said:

he tells me his therapist...

Whatever he claims the therapist is saying is hearsay, because you are not present to hear it.

It's ok if you can't let go, but honesty with yourself about that is the first step.

• Like 1
  • Author
AlphaFemme99
56 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Whatever he claims the therapist is saying is hearsay, because you are not present to hear it.

It's ok if you can't let go, but honesty with yourself about that is the first step.

Well I am honest as I know I’d easily break ties if suicide wasn’t in the equation. It’s one thing to write it here and another when I witness how bad he’s hurting. I honestly think he’s serious that’s why it’s hard. 
he doesn’t want to do it but is struggling to find reasons to stay 

I’ve distanced myself and left town for longer periods to help him find other coping mechanisms but when I return he just seems to be slipping further into despair than the last times I saw him 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, AlphaFemme99 said:

I honestly think he’s serious that’s why it’s hard. 

Wherever his relatives are they need to be contacted and made aware of his mental condition.  I remember an aunt of mine was in a bad condition and her bf didn't tell our family  that lives in another state than them and the family was fighting mad when she died.  Please let his family know what is going on with him as it's their responsibility to help him since you aren't his spouse or gf.  If something happens to him they will fault you.

21 hours ago, AlphaFemme99 said:

I did leave the relationship.. almost 6 months ago.

No you didn’t. You are very much still invested.

when YOU remove YOURSELF from the situation is when you leave the relationship.

You can’t change him - you can only change the way you participate.

so step away completely and let him handle his own issues. You can’t do it FOR him.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, AlphaFemme99 said:

Well I am honest as I know I’d easily break ties if suicide wasn’t in the equation. It’s one thing to write it here and another when I witness how bad he’s hurting. I honestly think he’s serious that’s why it’s hard. 
he doesn’t want to do it but is struggling to find reasons to stay 

I’ve distanced myself and left town for longer periods to help him find other coping mechanisms but when I return he just seems to be slipping further into despair than the last times I saw him 

Good that you're distancing yourself. Keep doing this and move away from any obligations in the relationship.

• Like 1
  • Author
AlphaFemme99
2 hours ago, glows said:

Good that you're distancing yourself. Keep doing this and move away from any obligations in the relationship.

Yes I think so. The fact he’ll soon be moving for a job hours away is also really positive. He won’t feel hurt because I won’t see him more often like now when we’ve been in the same town. He’ll be forced to find other coping mechanisms and other people to confide in 

• Author
AlphaFemme99
7 hours ago, stillafool said:

Wherever his relatives are they need to be contacted and made aware of his mental condition.  I remember an aunt of mine was in a bad condition and her bf didn't tell our family  that lives in another state than them and the family was fighting mad when she died.  Please let his family know what is going on with him as it's their responsibility to help him since you aren't his spouse or gf.  If something happens to him they will fault you.

I don’t have contact details of his sibling and he’s not on fb. His mum used to make excuses not to have us visit and yet pretends to be lovely and to like me, even now. I can’t confide in her. It’s complex .. I honestly don’t think she can help as she’s a narcissist 

I have contacted a cousin of his and a long term friend last night, for what it’s worth. Any help it might do will be worth it 

11 minutes ago, AlphaFemme99 said:

I have contacted a cousin of his and a long term friend last night, for what it’s worth. Any help it might do will be worth it 

Did you tell his cousin to contact his mom?  Whether she's a narcissist or not she needs to be made aware of his suicidal threats and so does his siblings.  It's also not about you confiding in her, you just have to tell her what you know and whether she accepts it or not is on her but you will have done your part.  Then she and his siblings can decide what to do going forward.

• Like 3
  • Author
AlphaFemme99
50 minutes ago, stillafool said:

Did you tell his cousin to contact his mom?  Whether she's a narcissist or not she needs to be made aware of his suicidal threats and so does his siblings.  It's also not about you confiding in her, you just have to tell her what you know and whether she accepts it or not is on her but you will have done your part.  Then she and his siblings can decide what to do going forward.

I remember messaging her early 2020 when covid hit and he first started getting really depressed and talking suicide. She messaged me back asking if I said anything to his aunt that I know and I said no so she asked me not to. Then she asked me to delete our messages. She’s since made him stop talking to this aunt through other reasons 
That’s what I’m dealing with - a woman more interested in preserving the family reputation than her son’s life. This was while his dad was alive ..

I’ll get his siblings details  from the cousin I messaged. We’ll speak on the phone today 

Did you get a chance to speak with the siblings? The sooner you’re able to the more you can keep focusing on your own life and keep your distance.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, AlphaFemme99 said:

I have contacted a cousin of his and a long term friend last night, for what it’s worth. Any help it might do will be worth it

You do not need to contact his family. There are mental health hotlines, EMS doctors and other resources. He also can contact them if he wants. Stop injecting yourself this much as a resucuer. Contacting his family is more over the top lack of boundaries on your part.

No one is debating whether he has orthopedic pain. What you seem to hope to ignore is that opioids are strictly regulated for precisely the reason that they create physical dependence and have extremely high abuse potential. 

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

You do not need to contact his family. There are mental health hotlines, EMS doctors and other resources. He also can contact them if he wants. Stop injecting yourself this much as a resucuer. Contacting his family is more over the top lack of boundaries on your part.

I disagree Wise, if he's threatening suicide and won't get help on his own, OP should remove herself as his support and tell his family.   I would hate to think a family member of mine was threatening suicide and people knew but didn't tell me so I could help them.

Once you inform them be done with it and no more. Don’t keep staying involved when it’s no longer your issue or business to be involved. Let go.

• Like 1

Some of this sound like my ex. Not too the same degree due to your ex's issues but she couldn't set and stick to clear boundaries. Turned out she was still emotionally co dependent. Be prepared to be hurt if he gets past these issues and moves on and cuts ties with you.

On 3/29/2022 at 12:42 PM, S2B said:

No you didn’t. You are very much still invested.

when YOU remove YOURSELF from the situation is when you leave the relationship.

You can’t change him - you can only change the way you participate.

so step away completely and let him handle his own issues. You can’t do it FOR him.

So true

• Like 1

This thread has had a clean up with all assumptions about the ex being addicted to pain meds removed.  It is both off topic and members do not have the qualifications to give advice for this person's particular needs.   

• Author
AlphaFemme99
2 hours ago, Lisa said:

This thread has had a clean up with all assumptions about the ex being addicted to pain meds removed.  It is both off topic and members do not have the qualifications to give advice for this person's particular needs.   

Thank you 

• Author
AlphaFemme99
3 hours ago, hopper90 said:

Some of this sound like my ex. Not too the same degree due to your ex's issues but she couldn't set and stick to clear boundaries. Turned out she was still emotionally co dependent. Be prepared to be hurt if he gets past these issues and moves on and cuts ties with you.

So true

You mean you kept her hanging because you wanted to but when you felt better, left her? 
I’ve left the relationship so not sure how he’ll leave me lol .. u mean stop being friends? 
if I get that impression then I’ll cut him off completely. I’m just there for him because I honestly don’t think he’s faking - never seen better acting and he’s not in the industry.

Why would he have proposed within 6 months? I know he was practically obsessed in the first 6 months or so but started changing after depression hit. Is determined to have me back and his cousin told me he confided he loves me. I just can’t see it happening - he really needs to improve a bunch of these issues that came up outside his control 

13 hours ago, AlphaFemme99 said:

Is determined to have me back and his cousin told me he confided he loves me. I just can’t see it happening - he really needs to improve a bunch of these issues that came up outside his control 

AlphaFemme99, the one person whose needs are getting swept under the carpet in all of this is you. Are you getting counselling and support from a licensed professional?

Please get yourself into therapy if you haven't already done so. You need the kind of guidance and support that you're not going to get here. Can you do that or are you already doing it? Sorry, I can't remember from the earlier posts.

17 hours ago, hopper90 said:

So true

I've seen this too.  People who stand by to help others going through a hard time but then when healed they have nothing to do with the helper again.  Move on to a new life forgetting the condition they were in and not making their new partner aware of their past mental state.  OP doesn't have to worry about that because she is only helping him as his friend and has no desire to be with him again.  This is another reason to let his family handle him so you can move on with your life OP.

• Author
AlphaFemme99
9 hours ago, stillafool said:

I've seen this too.  People who stand by to help others going through a hard time but then when healed they have nothing to do with the helper again.  Move on to a new life forgetting the condition they were in and not making their new partner aware of their past mental state.  OP doesn't have to worry about that because she is only helping him as his friend and has no desire to be with him again.  This is another reason to let his family handle him so you can move on with your life OP.

You’re right. I’m a realist. He thinks after his operation and starting the new job etc, stopping the meds will help him get back to the man I used to love and that I’ll take him back. I’m not as sure because despite the fact he’s finally getting counselling over a year as he never needed coping mechanisms before - life used to be much easier for him. I have been in touch with some people he’s close to upon this groups suggestions so I hope that helps him. I do admit it would hurt me really badly if he ended his life .. I think he can get better especially after his surgery and would be such a waste. He’s got a lot to look forward to if he hangs on but apparently getting back with me is the only thing he’s clinging on for 

• Author
AlphaFemme99
10 hours ago, Acacia98 said:

AlphaFemme99, the one person whose needs are getting swept under the carpet in all of this is you. Are you getting counselling and support from a licensed professional?

Please get yourself into therapy if you haven't already done so. You need the kind of guidance and support that you're not going to get here. Can you do that or are you already doing it? Sorry, I can't remember from the earlier posts.

I am seeing someone and this is the only thing we’ve been discussing .. first the relationship, now the friendship. She knows how hard this is for me and the situation of feeling if I cut ties completely and he ends his life, I’ll have a really difficult time over that. 
they’re not allowed to give advice though .. some suggestions but not much.

she’s happy with how I’m making excuses to leave town and see him less than he wants me to as it’s less of a rejection of I’m away. Also happy with the fact he got a job further away as it’ll be good for both of us 

On 3/30/2022 at 9:37 AM, glows said:

Once you inform them be done with it and no more. Don’t keep staying involved when it’s no longer your issue or business to be involved. Let go.

OP what about doing the RIGHT thing which is to let his relatives know about his threats of suicide?  You should feel guilty if he does commit suicide and you didn't let them know. It really isn't your business since you aren't his live in partner nor his wife.  If his relatives assess his condition and decide what help he needs and he gets better, then he can contact you down the road and you can decide at that time if he's healed enough to be in a relationship with you.  In the meantime you need to bough out of it.

Edited by stillafool
  • Like 1
  • Author
AlphaFemme99
44 minutes ago, stillafool said:

OP what about doing the RIGHT thing which is to let his relatives know about his threats of suicide?  You should feel guilty if he does commit suicide and you didn't let them know. It really isn't your business since you aren't his live in partner nor his wife.  If his relatives assess his condition and decide what help he needs and he gets better, then he can contact you down the road and you can decide at that time if he's healed enough to be in a relationship with you.  In the meantime you need to bough out of it.

It sounds so easy on paper but his relatives are in a bad spot too. His brother tried saving his dads life .. he’s messed up as well and I don’t have his contact details. 
His mum has been clearly trying to mess up our relationship since she met me.. he started acting slightly differently after her inputs and I’ve literally seen messages she sent while he had his phone up on the screen using gps “she doesn’t love you . She wants a millionaire “ etc. so much poison in his ears constantly from her. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I confided in her when his depression badly hit early 2020 and the suicide talk but she just told me to not tell people and delete the message 

• Author
AlphaFemme99
Just now, AlphaFemme99 said:

It sounds so easy on paper but his relatives are in a bad spot too. His brother tried saving his dads life .. he’s messed up as well and I don’t have his contact details. 
His mum has been clearly trying to mess up our relationship since she met me.. he started acting slightly differently after her inputs and I’ve literally seen messages she sent while he had his phone up on the screen using gps “she doesn’t love you . She wants a millionaire “ etc. so much poison in his ears constantly from her. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I confided in her when his depression badly hit early 2020 and the suicide talk but she just told me to not tell people and delete the message 

I’ll add she won’t like anyone in her son’s lives. She’s a narcissist who used her famous husband to feel important and no other woman will be welcome in the family 

10 hours ago, AlphaFemme99 said:

That’s sad. Just extricate yourself and get out then. Don’t involve yourself any further. 

• Like 2