I'm concerned about my girlfriend's weight.

38 minutes ago, elaine567 said:

What is her weight?
How tall is she?

Even weight vs height is only a guideline.  My 22yo has a a tiny frame and BMI of 16 and yet is perfectly healthy.  Good skin colour, generous bust, no visible ribs.  She’s just got an epic metabolism, and has had since she started walking.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, basil67 said:

Even weight vs height is only a guideline.  My 22yo has a a tiny frame and BMI of 16 and yet is perfectly healthy.  Good skin colour, generous bust, no visible ribs.  She’s just got an epic metabolism, and has had since she started walking.  

I realise that BMI is not always a helpful measure but it is a guide which is useful for most.
I just wanted to put some numbers to the assertion she is "too thin"

• Author
3 hours ago, elaine567 said:

Her already told her he can't get aroused by her and has to think of other women when having sex.
He can only get aroused if she gets upset and they have angry sex...
Now she is too thin and looked better 5 years ago.
Demolishing a person's self esteem is not fair, it is nasty actually.

Sorry I don't need a demolt herself esteem. I just am worried about her not eating enough if that's an unhealthy issue. However she did say that she knows she needs to eat more before I even had this conversation with her about her old picture. So she did say it and she actually said she does like it when I encourage her to eat more. It was only the photo comment that made her upset.

13 minutes ago, ironpony said:

It was only the photo comment that made her upset.

Exactly. You're old enough to know criticizing her appearance is hurtful. She's not asking, so don't comment.

• Like 1
ClearEyes-FullHeart
8 hours ago, ironpony said:

Anemia was not mentioned, just the doctor told her she was undernurished.  She said that he could tell from her blood test.

Got it. It’s great her doctor ran the labs and I am sure your gf will follow medical advice on how to improve her nutrition. 

• Author
22 hours ago, ShyViolet said:

Be very, very careful in what you say, because you can do much more harm than good in nagging her about this or making comments.  Do not say that she looked "better" when she was heavier before, don't nag her about whether she ate today.  I am pretty skinny myself and I tend to sometimes become a bit too thin.  I have never had an eating disorder, it's just the way I naturally am.  My mom has had this tendency to make comments to me about it, "why are you so skinny?  I don't like this.  You need to eat more."  And it makes me REALLY angry when she does that.  It's not helpful one bit.  

Oh ok thanks.  But she actually told me to ask her if she's eaten today because she said that helps remind her too.  So is it good for me to ask that when she said she wants me to ask that and it's her suggestion?

I don't think you can be or want to try to be her eating manager. That's not your job. 

But sounds to me like a serious eater disorder. I've known two people in the past few years who suffered anorexia.  There's a good chance she is NOT eating much when she's away from you.

I remember eating lunch with a young person I work with ... and she barely touched her food. It was like she was faking like she was eating.

Google for partners of people with eating disorders and see what you come up with.  I can't diagnose here, but if you're saying she's skeletal thin, that's a pretty strong piece of evidence. Has she talked about anxiety or OCD? 

• Author
13 hours ago, elaine567 said:

What is her weight?
How tall is she?

She's 6 feet, but not sure how much she weighs exactly.

5 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh ok thanks.  But she actually told me to ask her if she's eaten today because she said that helps remind her too.  So is it good for me to ask that when she said she wants me to ask that and it's her suggestion?

If she actually told you that she wants you to remind her to eat, then go ahead and do it.

• Author

Oh okay. And I am actually legitimately concerned about her not getting enough neutrition.  I am not wanting to 'skinny-shame' her, if I have given off that impression.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, ironpony said:

Then ask if she's eaten out of kindness or care as she has asked, the focus is nutrition or not skipping meals if that's her concern. There's no need to go overboard and become too concerned about her weight or size. If she's concerned or has questions about her health point her in the direction of her doctor. 

4 hours ago, ironpony said:

I am not wanting to 'skinny-shame' her, if I have given off that impression.

It's not your issue. She is a 21 year old woman who goes to doctors, has a job and can eat whatever and whenever she wants and can have whatever body and looks she wants.

Your job is to tell her you care about her, that's it. Not be her dietitian, therapist, doctor or trainer. 

If you don't like her appearance, stop dating her. It's that simple.

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Author
2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

It's not your issue. She is a 21 year old woman who goes to doctors, has a job and can eat whatever and whenever she wants and can have whatever body and looks she wants.

Your job is to tell her you care about her, that's it. Not be her dietitian, therapist, doctor or trainer. 

If you don't like her appearance, stop dating her. It's that simple.

But I think it's okay that if someone needs help it's okay that they do though. If someone were to drink too much for example or did drugs for example, it would be okay to say that person has a problem rather than just say meh, they're 21 let them do what they want... Unless I'm thinking about it the wrong way?

On 11/18/2021 at 10:42 PM, ironpony said:

I still feel she is not eating enough though even if it's a little bit.  I mean she is still undernurished like the doctor said.  I guess I also have trouble understanding why she is self conscious about it.  If you tell an overweight person they should loose weight, it can hurt them, because loosing weight is hard. But putting on weight is easy, so I thought she shouldn't have a problem doing that since it's easy and healthy for her in this case.  But I don't want to seem insensitive to her, just want to eat more to be more healthy of course.

Telling someone they are too thin is none of your business.

it took me 10 years to gain 10lbs when I was too thin. No matter what I did I couldn’t gain weight.

people who commented on my weight - I considered it none of their business.

if you don’t like it then break up with her. You are judging her looks. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ironpony said:

But I think it's okay that if someone needs help it's okay that they do though. If someone were to drink too much for example or did drugs for example, it would be okay to say that person has a problem rather than just say meh, they're 21 let them do what they want... Unless I'm thinking about it the wrong way?

If someone drinks too much or does drugs that’s their choice. If you don’t like her choices you end it - you don’t try and change her to your liking. That’s your problem, not here.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay. And I am actually legitimately concerned about her not getting enough neutrition.  I am not wanting to 'skinny-shame' her, if I have given off that impression.

You are not her doctor, you're not her therapist, you're not her Dad, you're not her nutritionist.  There's really nothing you can do about this.  If she truly does have an eating disorder, then you making comments or trying to remind her to eat is really not going to make a difference anyway.  You need to stop thinking that you can fix this girl's problems or figure out issues for her.  

• Like 1
  • Author
17 minutes ago, ShyViolet said:

You are not her doctor, you're not her therapist, you're not her Dad, you're not her nutritionist.  There's really nothing you can do about this.  If she truly does have an eating disorder, then you making comments or trying to remind her to eat is really not going to make a difference anyway.  You need to stop thinking that you can fix this girl's problems or figure out issues for her.  

Ok then.  Its just that if SOs have a concern with something I am doing they will tell me.  D6o I thought it was normal unless it's not?

Yes but your preoccupation with every thing that she does is excessive.

At some point, it's only going to push her away.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Its just that if SOs have a concern with something I am doing they will tell me.

Which GFs have done this and in reference to what? How you look? Your body? Your weight? Your eating habits? Or something that was hurting them?

On 11/20/2021 at 4:28 AM, elaine567 said:

Her already told her he can't get aroused by her and has to think of other women when having sex.
He can only get aroused if she gets upset and they have angry sex...
Now she is too thin and looked better 5 years ago.

Demolishing a person's self esteem is not fair, it is nasty actually.

OP, if the above bolded is true you could be the reason she's not eating and losing weight.  The relationship is putting enormous stress on her.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ironpony said:

Yes, you are thinking about it the wrong way.  If you'd spent years together and your partner's habits started to change and become unhealthy, then you have a right to say something.

But if it's someone you haven't been with long, then it's about figuring out if you can accept them for who they are without complaint, wanting them to change or feeling the need to help.  If you do feel any of the latter things, then they are simply a poor match for you.   And it is DISRESPECTFUL to ask someone to change.

As far as your previous SOs telling you about things which worry them, the same rule applies.

Edited by basil67
  • Author
4 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Which GFs have done this and in reference to what? How you look? Your body? Your weight? Your eating habits? Or something that was hurting them?

Oh well for example my gf was concerned about my health when it comes to my insomnia issues and has brought it up quite a bit recently.

Edited by ironpony
12 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Oh well for example my gf was concerned about my health when it comes to my insomnia issues and has brought it up quite a bit recently.

But your insomnia is something which bothers you and you've actively been looking for answers - it's already an open topic.   This is different to raising discussions about someone's body weight when they are happy with their weight.

• Like 1