I think I am actually addicted to chocolate and ice cream; I eat normal food most of the day but in addition I usually can't go a day without a chocolate bar and half a pint of ice cream.  I have these cravings just about daily.  I'm concerned that this is unhealthy and I'm consuming a ton of sugar.  By the way I'm skinny and I don't need to lose weight.  But just because you're thin doesn't mean you aren't at risk for health issues.  I need to break this cycle and not sure how.  Any ideas?  

For me, the technique is much the same as when I think my alcohol intake is too high and want to dial it back.  The first step is not having any in my house.  Don't shop when you're hungry.  And if your goal is to eat less, rather than giving up completely, choose some days where you can reward yourself.   

• Like 2
Happy Lemming
8 hours ago, ShyViolet said:

I think I am actually addicted to chocolate and ice cream...  I need to break this cycle and not sure how.  Any ideas?  

You are not alone!!  My girlfriend has a similar problem and can't seem to shake that "sweet tooth" craving when it hits her.  She has asked me not to stock sweets in the house, so I tried that. Then she'll come to me and ask me to make a home made batch of candy (Chocolate Peanut butter rolls) for her.

If you do figure it out... please post a solution and I'll pass it along.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

(Chocolate Peanut butter rolls)

You make these for her?  Lucky girl, um yummy!

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
3 hours ago, stillafool said:

You make these for her?  Lucky girl, um yummy!

Yes... they taste just like Reece's Peanut Butter cups.

She really enjoys them, but there are A LOT of calories, sugar and fat in them.  "V" can't stop eating them once I finish making them and cutting the rolls into pieces, so I started making 1/2 batches, instead of a full batch.  She said they literally call to her "come eat more, come eat more".  A 1/2 patch (about 20-25) pieces will only make it about 2 days (at the most).

Apparently it's genetic, like people who taste things differently. For example any type of artificial sweeteners(including stevia and alcohol sugars sorbitol/xylitol, etc.) have a horrible bitter metallic taste to me.

Unless it's  causing dental or health problems you'll be ok in moderation. Goggle "Twinkie defense", about the assassination of a San Francisco mayor whose assailant was found not guilty due to incapacitation secondary to eating sugar/junk food.

• Like 1
Cookiesandough

Girl I’m with you. I have a problem. What helps me stop is

Opting for other food or healthy sweets- Sometimes when I want cake I force myself to try to eat other stuff first. Sometimes I find I was just hungry in general. If im still feening I try to get a sweet that has healthier sugars 

Keeping that stuff out of the house- you’re a lot more likely shoot eat that candy bar if it is a few feet away then if you have to get ready, get in your car, and drive to the store to get it

Willpower- discipline is a state of mind. It’s a practice. Every time you say no you’re getting a little bit stronger like muscle you’re working out 

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
7 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Goggle "Twinkie defense", about the assassination of a San Francisco mayor whose assailant was found not guilty due to incapacitation secondary to eating sugar/junk food.

Great... Now I have to worry about "V" killing me in my sleep if there are not enough Chocolate Peanut Butter rolls available.

• Like 1
Cookiesandough
21 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Apparently it's genetic, like people who taste things differently. For example any type of artificial sweeteners(including stevia and alcohol sugars sorbitol/xylitol, etc.) have a horrible bitter metallic taste to me.

Unless it's  causing dental or health problems you'll be ok in moderation. Goggle "Twinkie defense", about the assassination of a San Francisco mayor whose assailant was found not guilty due to incapacitation secondary to eating sugar/junk food.

Interesting stuff. I get really bad with zebra cakes. When I need a zebra cake, I NEED a zebra cake. Call up Walgreens “Yo, you got any of that z cake in homie? “ Start scratching and getting the shakes. 

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 1
LynneVicious

Eating sugar creates the craving to eat more of it. Try going to bed after having a normal dinner with no snacks afterwards. Youll wake up fine. Then try eating a half pint of Haagen Daaz chocolate peanut butter ice cream before bed. Youll wake up starving. And craving more sugar. 

Do your best to go a few days without any processed sugar or chocolate. Have some fruit instead. Youll notice that your craving will have diminished greatly. It’s like an addiction. 

But man oh man. Chocolate and peanut butter are a woman’s best friend. When I was a kid I used to melt chocolate chips and then spoon it with some peanut butter directly. Sooo good lol. It must create feel good hormones for us too. 

• Like 2
Happy Lemming
24 minutes ago, LynneVicious said:

But man oh man. Chocolate and peanut butter are a woman’s best friend.

Yes... I learned that a long time ago.  I perfected my home made recipe many years ago, it has never failed me.

My Chocolate Peanut Butter rolls got her through those months of "lock down" during the start of the pandemic.  

I'm not so sure about the genetic component.  I didn't used to be a sugar addict, but living with my husband who has a sweet tooth has increased my proximity to sugar, then my intake...and now it's hard to not go a day without sugar.  

I beg my husband not to bake. But he loves baking and still bakes :( 

• Like 2

You can substitute sugared sweets for ones with maltitol and your bum/frequency to the toilet will kindly let you know how to regulate your intake. 

I like ice cream A LOT.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
45 minutes ago, basil67 said:

But he loves baking and still bakes :( 

There are some men who like to cook and bake.  Does your husband come from a family of chefs??

My grandfather (mother's side) was a chef.  Although I didn't know him all that well, my mother tells me that I cook and bake similar items to his.  Perhaps cooking and baking are in my genes?? 

1 hour ago, Happy Lemming said:

There are some men who like to cook and bake.  Does your husband come from a family of chefs??

My grandfather (mother's side) was a chef.  Although I didn't know him all that well, my mother tells me that I cook and bake similar items to his.  Perhaps cooking and baking are in my genes?? 

Yes, it could be in the genes - hubby's father was a pastry chef.   On the plus side, I've never had to make a child's birthday cake.  Woohoo!  

• Like 1

Grapes work for me......but they're still full of (natural) sugar, I guess that's slightly better than refined sugar.

I love to bake too, but my oven's out of order, so no brownies or caramel slice has been made in the last few months.

:classic_sad:

Sugar is so addicting.

When I started eating healthier I craved less sugar.

But put a box of Toffifay in front of me and those candies are toast.

They're like little drops of layered heaven.

12 hours ago, glows said:

You can substitute sugared sweets for ones with maltitol and your bum/frequency to the toilet will kindly let you know how to regulate your intake. 

Actually none of these are good for you. They're for brittle diabetics and to reduce dental caries.

They all have the side effect of osmotic laxatives which is also not a good thing.

As far as a sweet tooth, eating it in moderation is key. Diet sodas have been linked to obesity.

Even "natural' artificial sweeteners have been linked to tricking the brain and promoting obesity.(google it).

So artificial sweeteners are safe for human consumption but have quite a few drawbacks. The horrible taste is just not worth it.

"The unabsorbed sugar alcohols may cause bloating and diarrhea due to their osmotic effect, if consumed in sufficient amounts.

Erythritol

Xylitol 

Mannitol 

Sorbitol

Isomalt 

Maltitol"

3 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Actually none of these are good for you. They're for brittle diabetics and to reduce dental caries.

They all have the side effect of osmotic laxatives which is also not a good thing.

As far as a sweet tooth, eating it in moderation is key. Diet sodas have been linked to obesity.

Even "natural' artificial sweeteners have been linked to tricking the brain and promoting obesity.(google it).

So artificial sweeteners are safe for human consumption but have quite a few drawbacks. The horrible taste is just not worth it.

"The unabsorbed sugar alcohols may cause bloating and diarrhea due to their osmotic effect, if consumed in sufficient amounts.

Erythritol

Xylitol 

Mannitol 

Sorbitol

Isomalt 

Maltitol"

There is a drawback for almost everything if consumed in excess.

I disagree about the taste however some dislike it. That’s up to the individual.

Just because you crave something, doesn’t mean you have to eat it. The craving will pass. Regular cravings are often more habits than they are actual physical addiction. It’s more about what foods your mind goes to when you’re hungry or at a certain time of day. If it was an actual sugar addiction, then a few spoonfuls of sugar would do the trick. 

Low sugar ice cream is available for some brands and flavors. Keep the stuff on a high shelf in hard to reach area. Try eating a hot pepper or jalopena first that shocks your tongue and in this way put off the sweets til later. Or try puffing on a cigar first or eat candy sitting in an uncomfortable place. Floor or bathtub.  

Potentially it will increase blood sugar level too high

Also eat the mini candy bars instead. One or two bites. If you can.  I minimize my candy now because of big dental problems

I've heard before that mint helps suppress appetite. Googled it and apparently there are mints available that help suppress sweetness, something called Sugarkick.

ClearEyes-FullHeart

I love dark chocolate too. What works for me is a small bite at night after dinner. Right now I am obsessed with these sea salt brownie bites. I have one square per night (sometimes I skip but never more than one, and they are precut so it’s easy not to overindulge). As they need to stay refrigerated, I just put one in the cooling oven to warm up and that enhances the experience! I roast veggies all the time so the oven part is simple.

For me it’s a perfect balance - get my dark chocolate and it’s not too much. Sometimes I eat it with peanut butter.

https://www.instacart.com/products/86353-jlist-jane-sea-salt-brownies-12-oz

I know some people can’t just have a small piece but if you can, give it a try. I used to do that with Valrhona dark chocolate - eat one small piece each night.

• Thanks 1