Reasons for not getting Covid vaccine?

hippychick3
2 hours ago, ASG said:

That makes literally no sense whatsoever. It's definitely not how vaccines (or any intramuscular injections) work. An intramuscular injection is absorbed by your bloodstream. Once that's done, it is evenly distributed through your body. Period. The nurse that administered your vaccine was full of it, or is completely ignorant of how vaccines/injections and the body works.... 

I agree. It made no sense to me. 🙄 I think the only reason to do that may be to possibly reduce arm soreness in same arm. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hippychick3 said:

I agree. It made no sense to me. 🙄 I think the only reason to do that may be to possibly reduce arm soreness in same arm. 

Indeed, that would be the only reason to do it, though vaccines (and injections in general), tend to be administered in the non dominant arm, so that if you do get soreness, it doesn't affect your daily life as much. 

But saying that it is to have the vaccine evenly distributed through the body is dangerous misinformation. Imagine they said that to someone with little education or knowledge, that would then spread this as fact (because it was said by a health worker!). You could get people thinking being vaccinated twice in the same arm means it«s not effective or something like that!

• Like 3
Commongoal123
On 3/21/2021 at 1:16 PM, hippychick3 said:

I just had my second shot and it was given to me in the opposite arm from the first shot. I had no idea they would do that until I was there. She said it was done so the vaccine would be distributed equally to both sides of your body. 

My point exactly regarding why I am waiting a long time until I get it.

I exercise regularly, eat healthy, get ample sleep and as a result I have not been ill for longer than a day in well over a decade. In my case, the side effects from the covid vaccine would outweigh any trivial benefits, so I'll pass. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 7:13 PM, Bantosm said:

trivial benefits

If you consider “not dying” a trivial benefit, fair enough. 

• Like 1

I am an ER nurse who lived and breathed covid through its worst days. And I witnessed how terrible it was to watch a patient come in gasping for air. Check in and deteriorate in days without family. I was the last person to speak to patients before intubating them, reassuring them, knowing they likely won’t come out of it. I lived through mask shortages, reused single use N95 masks for days, worked tirelessly and reminded by administration “be happy you have a job”. 
The vaccine rolled out in record time! And I was apprehensive. I didn’t get it though it was offered to frontline workers immediately. And everyone rushed to sign up. And I waited on the sidelines. Unsure of such a rushed vaccine. And the topic was almost as bad as a political or religious topic. When people found out I hadn’t been vaccinated, their opinion was written all over their face. The scrutiny. They assumed I was a “conspiracy theorist”. They assumed I was one of “those anti vaxxer”.  My only response was that I chose to wait. I encouraged them to get the vaccine if they wanted to. I explained how the vaccine worked. 
I picked up extra days to helped the vaccination process. Worked 12 hour non stop days helping vaccine my home town. 
Present day. The vaccine was offered to me and I decided to finally get it. No long thought process. Thought everything is opening up. Vaccination proof will be required for everything. A second wave might come. And without a second thought I got the vaccine. 
Only to learn that the J&J was being put on hold for side effects. 
And now I’m worried. I’m playing a waiting game for the next 3 weeks. Will I develop a blood clot? I fit risk factors. Gender, age and contraceptive use. The anxiety is real. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
7 hours ago, Sol Flor said:

Only to learn that the J&J was being put on hold for side effects. 
And now I’m worried. I’m playing a waiting game for the next 3 weeks. Will I develop a blood clot? I fit risk factors. Gender, age and contraceptive use. The anxiety is real. 

But surely you know that the risk of developing a clot with contraception is MUCH higher than with the vaccine. 

I mean, I'm glad that so much attention is being paid tot he vaccines, but considering the benefits of it far outweigh the risks, it seems counterintuitive to create such a widespread fear on some vaccines, when they pose less of a risk than thousands of other things you do without even thinking about it. 

Obviously I get the apprehension... Am I gonna be the ONE in a MILLION? But usually the answer to that is no...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had the J&J Vaccine 20 days ago.  I won't lie, I'm a little unsettled by all the news stories right now, but I'm aware that statistically I am at higher risk for life threatening effects from other things I choose to do or am exposed to.  The fear is magnified right now because the vaccines are such a hot and much-debated topic.  I think most people just don't pay attention to statistical information in their everyday life and so aren't putting this into context.    

• Like 4