Reasons for not getting Covid vaccine?

What are the reasons for those who are not going to get the covid vaccine or are going to wait?

- Possible long term side effects because of shortened/rushed testing phases. Especially with the  newer mRNA based vaccine.

- Possible ineffectiveness against other variants/mutations.

- User errors administering the vaccine. Apparently the dosage needs to be very small, there are reports of dosages having been overshot.

Edited by darkfoxjj
Added 3rd point
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
32 minutes ago, darkfoxjj said:

- Possible long term side effects because of shortened/rushed testing phases. Especially with the  newer mRNA based vaccine.

- Possible ineffectiveness against other variants/mutations.

- User errors administering the vaccine. Apparently the dosage needs to be very small, there are reports of dosages having been overshot.

But the science behind mRNA vaccines has been studied for over a decade according to the CDC so isn't it theoretically the same research process applied to the Covid 19-virus?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Alpaca said:

It's really best to research CDC , WHO but most of all discuss your personal situation with your doctor.  There are contraindications such as immunodeficiencies and cancer treatments. No internet or browser that copies info from Google can replace your doctor's advice or specific questions.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Discussion of moderation practices.
  • Like 1
introverted1

- No data on how long immunity is conferred for (trial was 2 months so nothing beyond that is known, although there are lots of suppositions)

- No date on how effective the vaccine is against the latest strain of covid. From my reading, it appears that there is a different protein structure in the new strain, and this structur is less likely to produce the needed antibodies from the vaccine.  Scientists seem to agree that efficacy will be reduced but no one knows by how much.

- No data on long term effects (same is true for covid itself)

- mRNA vaccination is brand new technology and any new technology has problems to be ironed out

- much higher than average quantity and seriousness of side effects, especially after 2nd dose

I'm glad that I don't have to decide now whether to be vaccinated - I am not in a group being offered the vaccine at this time, so I have time to study the science as it unfolds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There’s no reason not to take the vaccines unless you have a condition that makes it harmful to take it (ex. If you’re allergic to it). Everything else is just unwarranted speculation. The people who are actually experts on these things (I.e. nobody on this forum as far as I know) deemed the vaccinations safe, and therefore, like with pretty much everything we do, we trust the experts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had Covid in December for nearly 3 weeks and despite my fears of vaccines, I plan to get the Covid vaccine. I have asthma and other immune compromised conditions. But I never, ever want to get Covid again. And, if this vaccine will help me not get Covid, or at the very least lessen my Covid symptoms then I’m better off. I still don’t know the long term effects of having Covid, aside from no taste or smell and vertigo and leg pain that has been ongoing since early December when my Covid symptoms started. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I’ll share my reasons for getting the vaccine the moment it’s offered to me:

• England announced tonight entering its second total lockdown in the last 12 months.
  • My daughters school is closed again.. she doesn’t get to see her mates, she has to do virtual learning which causes her a lot of stress, her GCSEs (end of school exams) will probably now be cancelled.
  • My fiancée is now looking at the real potential losing her job soon because everywhere is struggling for money
  • I have spent my adult life working for charities and I’m watching that money dry up and people/animals/the planet suffer.
  • I want to get married in 2021, I want my friends to be there. I want to take my daughter to Africa, to see where I used to live. I want to travel again, and go down the pub and hug my godkids.

^ I don’t really need the science! Those are the only reasons I need. If there’s even a potential chance that enough folks having the vaccine could end this, then count me in! 🤷🏼‍♂️ As far as I’m concerned, to steal the phrasing from those old WW2 posters “you’re country needs you” 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Ollie180
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
11 minutes ago, Ollie180 said:

I’ll share my reasons for getting the vaccine the moment it’s offered to me:

• England announced tonight entering its second total lockdown in the last 12 months.
  • My daughters school is closed again.. she doesn’t get to see her mates, she has to do virtual learning which causes her a lot of stress, her GCSEs (end of school exams) will probably now be cancelled.
  • My fiancée is now looking at the real potential losing her job soon because everywhere is struggling for money
  • I have spent my adult life working for charities and I’m watching that money dry up and people/animals/the planet suffer.
  • I want to get married in 2021, I want my friends to be there. I want to take my daughter to Africa, to see where I used to live. I want to travel again, and go down the pub and hug my godkids.

^ I don’t really need the science! Those are the only reasons I need. If there’s even a potential chance that enough folks having the vaccine could end this, then count me in! 🤷🏼‍♂️ As far as I’m concerned, to steal the phrasing from those old WW2 posters “you’re country needs you” 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yes, returning to some resemblance of normalcy would be fantastic.

I've been lucky enough to know very few people personally who have had Covid - but whatever stories I have heard are far from pleasant (a couple of posters here, for example). I wouldn't want that for myself or any of my friends or family (or, well anyone really). So if it's as simple as taking a vaccine, of course I will.

In terms of safety, realistically we've been tracking safety across multiple vaccine candidates for around 6 months at a minimum, and across a large number of people. Adverse events have been rare, and there isn't really anything new about the overall method used for vaccination (introduce something to train the immune system). Sure, the mRNA approach is somewhat new, but I can't see how it would cause significantly greater problems than existing vaccines.

In terms of whether they actually work, I'm choosing to trust the scientific process and the trial methodology to determine that they do actually work. I'll be a little skeptical until I can see it having an effect on transmission rates, but, hey, if it's safe, for me it's a no brainer since something is better than nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

people who have had allergies to drugs, auto immune conditions, they will be more hesitant to take it,

also the trials have no results from people with significant auto immune problems.

I always remember having a negative reaction to ventolin as a child for example, so that would be at the back of my mind,

I suppose ill have to chance getting it though when the time comes  hard to see any other choice. 

Edited by Foxhall
  • Thanks 3
Emilie Jolie

Many of the people I know around me (UK) are medics, and most of them have been vaccinated in the last few weeks. No side effects but obviously too soon to call (they are waiting on their 2nd jab). The problem is that there are more than one vaccine, competing providers and a sort of pressure to get it out asap. 

Tbh, I don't know anyone who won't take it.

As @Ollie180said, we are about to start yet another 6 weeks of lockdown (until mid-Feb). I'm already treading a thin line as it is mentally because I feel my whole life is now online (which I hate), and one of the things keeping going is the thought of this vaccine.

I'm sure those who won't take the vaccine have good reasons, but for me it's a no brainer.

Sorry @Alpaca, I've not exactly answered your question.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
2 hours ago, Emilie Jolie said:

Sorry @Alpaca, I've not exactly answered your question.

No worries, the comments thus far have been helpful.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:32 AM, Alpaca said:

What are the reasons for those who are not going to get the covid vaccine or are going to wait?

Hey Alpaca, I like your work on LS...

I had the virus 🦠 in mid December. Took until now to feel ok. I will not get an injection cause I am already immune AND I hate needles.

• Like 2
  • Author
4 hours ago, alphamale said:

Hey Alpaca, I like your work on LS...

I had the virus 🦠 in mid December. Took until now to feel ok. I will not get an injection cause I am already immune AND I hate needles.

Thank you!

Glad to hear you and Watercolors are on the mend.   

• Like 1
15 hours ago, alphamale said:

I will not get an injection cause I am already immune AND I hate needles.

You may not be immune and even if you are, for how long?

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, elaine567 said:

You may not be immune and even if you are, for how long?

Who cares elaine567? I’m not putting any substance in my body that took six months to get approved

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, alphamale said:

Who cares elaine567? I’m not putting any substance in my body that took six months to get approved

So you want to risk getting Corona again?

12 minutes ago, alphamale said:

Who cares elaine567?

Lots of folk care!

...I mean your choice mate if your prepared to take that level of risk or not but, lots and lots of folk care.

Way I see it, if we were being asked to fight for our freedom, I’d enlist and risk getting shot for it, so it’s a really easy choice to risk a little injection that’s been signed off as safe 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, elaine567 said:

So you want to risk getting Corona again?

If it is proven safe over the next year or two then I would get it...

• Like 3

Anyone remember Thalidomide in England? They said it was ok for pregnant women. Turns out it was not...thousands of babies were born with grotesque birth defects. You can’t even begin to imagine.

• Like 5
Cookiesandough

Don’t like being pricked and mRNA vaccines might turn people into living zombies. OK, maybe that’s not likely and I just like that plot a little too much

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

Yes - I would get one. If I have a choice, I would get protein based candidate rather than mRNA, because the effects of protein based vaccines on humans have been studied for decades.

I don't see international travel ever being a possibility without getting a vaccine. I will be in no rush to get it ASAP though, Australia is pretty safe for now.

• Like 2
Ruby Slippers
On 1/4/2021 at 7:31 PM, Emilie Jolie said:

Tbh, I don't know anyone who won't take it.

I'm not getting it, and everyone I know personally is not getting it.

• Like 2