I have Covid-19

I just found out today via a virtual visit with a doctor. The problem is, he won't issue me the test because he said he had Covid-19, took the nasal test 3 times and all 3 times it was negative, but he knew he had it b/c blood tests later showed his body developed antibodies.

My question is: do I find a way to get the free Covid-19 test kit that my university library offers for free? Do I go onto a testing website and order a home mailed test kit?

I'm day 6 of my Covid symptoms; crushing fatigue, plus all of the cold/flu symptoms. I have my sense of smell and taste intact. But otherwise, its like Mono on steriods with the fatigue.

I'm more worried about the post-Covid-19 side effects that are long term. Those seem scary.

• Sad 1
Ruby Slippers

I'm sorry to hear you're sick! I've also heard the tests can be very inaccurate. Personally, I wouldn't bother, but it's up to you. I hope you're feeling better soon. Do you have family/friends around to reach out to in case you need anything?

• Like 1
  • Author
3 minutes ago, Ruby Slippers said:

I'm sorry to hear you're sick! I've also heard the tests can be very inaccurate. Personally, I wouldn't bother, but it's up to you. I hope you're feeling better soon. Do you have family/friends around to reach out to in case you need anything?

Thanks for your well wishes Ruby. Well, I don't want to bother either, but I can't return to work without a negative Covid test. I guess that's a given, if they are so inaccurate.

I reached out to a sibling who was awesome enough to grocery shop for me and leave it outside my front door. Despite having their own job and their own family with responsibilities, they told me they are available to help me with whatever I need. So, I feel very fortunate. Obviously, I'm not ready for the hospital ventilator yet, b/c I can post here. But, the crushing fatigue is literally the worst. The doctor doesn't know how long that symptom will last for me, b/c everyone who gets Covid has a different response to it. Stay healthy and safe yourself, Ruby!

• Like 2

Some national chain pharmacies offer the test without a prescription.  You go on the website, make an appointment, give your insurance info & it should be free to you.  DH & I did it at the drive through; we stuck the swab up our own noses & then you put it in a test tube, seal it up & send it back through the drive through.    The at home tests are similar but you have to wait to get the test, then send it back, then wait for the results.  Do you really want to be looking everywhere to find the drop box to send it back when you don't feel well?  

I'm sorry you are not feeling well.  I wish you a speedy uncomplicated recovery.  

Keep us posted.  You can be LS's version of Chris Cuomo when he was doing his CNN show from his basement while he was sick last spring.  

Edited by d0nnivain
  • Like 1
  • Author
7 minutes ago, d0nnivain said:

Some national chain pharmacies offer the test without a prescription.  You go on the website, make an appointment, give your insurance info & it should be free to you.  DH & I did it at the drive through; we stuck the swab up our own noses & then you put it in a test tube, seal it up & send it back through the drive through.    The at home tests are similar but you have to wait to get the test, then send it back, then wait for the results.  Do you really want to be looking everywhere to find the drop box to send it back when you don't feel well?  

I'm sorry you are not feeling well.  I wish you a speedy uncomplicated recovery.  

Keep us posted.  You can be LS's version of Chris Cuomo when he was doing his CNN show from his basement while he was sick last spring.  

Ok, I'll check out the websites of those located near me. My biggest fear of course is getting ARDS and having to go on a ventilator.

Your Chris Cuomo reference made me laugh a little.

• Author
27 minutes ago, Ellener said:

Get well soon!

Thanks Ellener! I'm worried that my second week of Covid will be worse than the first. Hopefully not, though.

The nasal tests are more reliable than antibody tests so it's likely your doctor didn't actually have it but enjoys saying he did. For whatever reason.

Sorry you're sick but until you have a test you can't know for sure that it's Covid. I would recommend getting one if you do have the option. It would be helpful to know for sure in deciding what treatment to seek out in the future.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear this! Please take care of yourself!

Advice from my sister (a nurse - I've seen other nurses suggest the same): buy a pulse oximeter or have a friend bring one over to you. Use it however many times a day you need to; if it's ever under 95, go to the hospital. Otherwise you SHOULD generally be okay at home. She says to stay hydrated and rest, rest, rest. And of course you know your body best and if you feel extremely out of sorts or fatigue so bad you can't move, get help immediately.

• Like 1

The pulse oximeter is an excellent idea.  My main worry would be the respiratory problems, so keeping close tabs on your oxygen levels would be very wise.  

I hope you get through this very soon!

I'm sorry you're sick.  Your doctor is refusing to let you get tested?  That doesn't sound legit.  That is ridiculous.  Covid tests are not wildly inaccurate.  The rapid test is very inaccurate, but the PCR test is reliable.  You should get tested.  I don't know where you are located, but here in New York City we have city-run testing centers where you can go and get tested for free.  Doesn't your area have testing centers?

• Like 1
  • Author
5 hours ago, Allupinnit said:

Oh no I hope you're on the mend soon!  

Thanks, Allupinnit! Me too. 

5 hours ago, Shortskirtslonglashes said:

Get well soon.

Thanks Shortskirtslonglashes!

5 hours ago, Foxhall said:

raw garlic Ive heard has helped people shake it off

Thanks Foxhall! Unfortunately, I can't eat garlic. Otherwise, I would. I'm relying on vitamins, rest, fluids, all the regular things done for the flu. I just pray the fatigue goes away. 

5 hours ago, lana-banana said:

I'm so sorry to hear this! Please take care of yourself!

Advice from my sister (a nurse - I've seen other nurses suggest the same): buy a pulse oximeter or have a friend bring one over to you. Use it however many times a day you need to; if it's ever under 95, go to the hospital. Otherwise you SHOULD generally be okay at home. She says to stay hydrated and rest, rest, rest. And of course you know your body best and if you feel extremely out of sorts or fatigue so bad you can't move, get help immediately.

Thanks lana! I have an Applewatch, so I use that pulse oximeter app and so far, the range is normal. Lowest was 94. I called urgent care about that, and the dr. told me not to come to the hospital unless it gets to 88%. I boiled a pot of water earlier, poured it into a metal bowl, and breathed in steam for about 4 minutes. I need to get a neti pot. I've been gargling salt water too. I'm terrified of the hospital because once you go on oxygen or a ventilator, you can get an infection from both of those machines in the lungs. So, I'm trying everything I can to stay at home. 

5 hours ago, FMW said:

The pulse oximeter is an excellent idea.  My main worry would be the respiratory problems, so keeping close tabs on your oxygen levels would be very wise.  

I hope you get through this very soon!

I agree FMW. I've been taking my blood pressure and pulse oximeter using my apple watch a lot. So far, both are in the normal range. I hope I can get through this soon too!

5 hours ago, ShyViolet said:

I'm sorry you're sick.  Your doctor is refusing to let you get tested?  That doesn't sound legit.  That is ridiculous.  Covid tests are not wildly inaccurate.  The rapid test is very inaccurate, but the PCR test is reliable.  You should get tested.  I don't know where you are located, but here in New York City we have city-run testing centers where you can go and get tested for free.  Doesn't your area have testing centers?

hi ShyViolet. Yeah. I called urgent care back and spoke to another doctor, who gave me my state's health website that offers community testing sites for COVID19 that is free. So, I went on the website and booked a saliva test for myself tomorrow. I should know my results by Friday or Saturday. Thank god I called urgent care back to talk to that other doctor. 

3 hours ago, MsJayne said:

Sorry to hear you're sick - hope you're well for Christmas :) 🎅

Thanks Jayne. I don't know if I will be. My family and decided to wait until January to exchange our Christmas presents with each other. To give me time to get over this and hopefully get over the fatigue too. 

• Like 1
LivingWaterPlease

So sorry you're sick, Watercolors! I had it mid September and the fatigue lasted three days for me. I just chilled out, sat in a chair or rested as I was able to take the time off of work.  I've had no symptoms since recovering.

I took anti viral herbs which helped me a lot, I believe. Of course, I take them when I have a cold, flu, or any virus. At this point I know quite a few people who've had it and recovered with no lingering symptoms except for one guy whose taste/smell sense has not returned totally to normal. Seems it will bc it's slowly coming back.

Get your rest! You're fairly young, I believe, so that's in your favor.

Edited by LivingWaterPlease

You probably just have a cold. I just went through this. My son was positive. I had to wait 7 days from my last exposure. he had no synptoms other than the lost of taste and smell I acquired a cold after he left ,my test was negative and my cold subsided two days later.  Those 50 and above are the highest risk. and it's hit and miss how it effects you. My neighbor spent 8 days in the hospital ,he's 52.   I don't know why they didn't allow the test The old test were 30% effective. they told me the new ones they use today are 99% effective. 

Edited by ajequals
  • Author
5 hours ago, LivingWaterPlease said:

So sorry you're sick, Watercolors! I had it mid September and the fatigue lasted three days for me. I just chilled out, sat in a chair or rested as I was able to take the time off of work.  I've had no symptoms since recovering.

I took anti viral herbs which helped me a lot, I believe. Of course, I take them when I have a cold, flu, or any virus. At this point I know quite a few people who've had it and recovered with no lingering symptoms except for one guy whose taste/smell sense has not returned totally to normal. Seems it will bc it's slowly coming back.

Get your rest! You're fairly young, I believe, so that's in your favor.

Thanks LivingWaterPlease. It truly sucks. So you had it as well? Sounds like your fatigue was short. You are so lucky. How long were your symptoms? How did you self treat and avoid going to the hospital? Did you get the nasal or saliva test? I’m awake again full of sweat right now. Ibuprofen is a godsend. What anti viral herbs do you recommend? I am willing to try anything extra. I’m low on vit d and iron so I’m craving eggs, which have both of those. That is great that you don’t have any lingering symptoms like the fatigue or permanent loss of smell and taste. 

3 hours ago, ajequals said:

You probably just have a cold. I just went through this. My son was positive. I had to wait 7 days from my last exposure. he had no synptoms other than the lost of taste and smell I acquired a cold after he left ,my test was negative and my cold subsided two days later.  Those 50 and above are the highest risk. and it's hit and miss how it effects you. My neighbor spent 8 days in the hospital ,he's 52.   I don't know why they didn't allow the test The old test were 30% effective. they told me the new ones they use today are 99% effective. 

If I only have a cold, that would be ideal. So, your son had a positive nasal swab covid19 test but you had a negative one? And you just had a cold? That must have been one helluva cold.  I hope your neighbor is ok.

I think that doctor who diagnosed me without testing me, seemed gung-ho to diagnose me. I definitely have all the covid19 symptoms but i also have all the cold and flu symptoms, b/c as of right now my eyes are watering and I’m sneezing. And, why on day 5-6 did i develop nausea and throw up? Why did i start getting low grade fevers days, 3,4,5, and 6? I’m just very confused. Colds and flus are more straightforward. You have the symptoms all upfront. My cough is dry, and i have this crazy thick white rubbery-ish mucous when i can get it loose from my sinuses through saline spray and steam from a boiled pot of water. The post nasal drip is annoying but ibuprofen has helped me with the unbearable body aches. 

If the tests aren’t effective how are we supposed to know? I’m going to get my saliva test done in 4 hours. I’m supposed to have the results of today’s test tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. 

The crushing fatigue has thrown me for a loop. I have had fatigue before with colds and flu, but going on day 7 now I still have the fatigue but its not as bad as it was days 1-6. I’m hoping the fatigue goes away completely. I’m really hoping the saliva test has a higher accuracy rate than the nasal swab test. 

Hope you get well soon.   Also hope you stay home and do your utmost not to spread it - along with all the others you have been in contact with.    Hopefully the vaccines turn out to be safe and effective and this will be over soon.   

Take it easy.  Drink fluids.  Sleep.  If you develop severe breathing difficulty, call 911 (per instructions given to my sister who was in a similar situation). 

• Author
On 12/17/2020 at 6:16 AM, elaine567 said:

Most accurate - PCR test, nasal swab and performed within first 5 days of developing symptoms.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

I went to the community testing site today. A 5 minute drive that felt like it took me forever. Then, a long walk inside the convention center to the testing area. Thought I would pass out I felt so nauseous. But, I stood at a table with my spit kit, and spent 10 minutes spitting into the vial that I screwed a blue top on, that dropped the test solution into my saliva. Then, I walked it to the table where they collected everyone's test samples. I got an email notification today that I will get my test results by Saturday at the latest. 

Today marks Day 7 now for me. I just need to make it another 7 days without developing any respiratory distress symptoms and I'll feel calmer. 

On 12/17/2020 at 10:30 AM, introverted1 said:

Wishing you a speedy recovery, WC. 

Thank you introverted. Thank you. 

On 12/17/2020 at 3:05 PM, notbroken said:

Hope you get well soon.   Also hope you stay home and do your utmost not to spread it - along with all the others you have been in contact with.    Hopefully the vaccines turn out to be safe and effective and this will be over soon.   

Take it easy.  Drink fluids.  Sleep.  If you develop severe breathing difficulty, call 911 (per instructions given to my sister who was in a similar situation). 

Thank you notbroken. Thank you. Other than needing to get the test done so that I can return to work eventually in the new year, I never leave my studio apartment. I use InstaCart now for anything I need to replenish which is convenient. Except, today's delivery driver complained of feeling Covidy and so I wiped down all my groceries with Clorox wipes. 

Sorry to hear that your sister had Covid too. How is she doing? 

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Removed personal message.
  • Like 2