Seeing Loved Ones Again After We Pass

So I've been thinking about this for a long time and haven't yet found an answer that satisfies me.

I've read books about after-life, near-death experiences and spoken with my dad's priest when he was alive.  So thought I'd ask LS'ers insight, since you helped me so much in my two previous threads. 

Do you believe after we die, there is some sort of after life wherein we will reunite with loved ones who have previously passed?  

My dad took a bad fall back in 2014, developed a very bad bleed in his brain and went in and out of consciousness for a few days before he finally died. 😢  He wasn't in pain, and died peacefully and my siblings and I were thankful for that.  

As weak as he was, during one of his conscious moments he conveyed to me as best he could about "seeing" or feeling a very bright light and my mom and stepmom (who both died before him) appearing to him with their arms wide open as if to welcome him into their "world" or other-world or spiritual realm, not sure what to call it.  Eeery.

I've also read books authored by those who had near-death experiences who claimed they were in "heaven," reunited with loved ones, and felt a sense of peace and euphoria unlike anything they ever experienced while alive.

Anyway, I never forgot what my dad told me about my mom and stepmom literally welcoming him "in" with wide open arms.  I get chills thinking about it!  

What do y'all think?  Is he with my mom and stepmom now?  Will I reunite with him after I die?  Or was it simply a dream?  

So many questions, no answers that make any sense.   

Thanks guys!  

• Like 2

As I'm sure you know, that's one of those very personal issues that I think you have to listen to your own heart and intuition to find your own answer.  

Some people believe this life is it and there is nothing before or after and any thought otherwise means you have a mental issue. 

Some believe being reunited in heaven with those that have passed, and that not believing means you will be doomed to eternity in hell.  

And there are probably a thousand beliefs somewhere in the middle.  

I don't think any belief in this area necessarily makes any sense, again, it's a very personal issue. What feels the most right to you?  What does your personal spiritual experience tell you?

I was raised Southern Baptist and definitely taught that we will see each other again someday.  I'm not as solid on that as my mother and grandmothers and all the other Sunday School teachers and preachers that were in my family, but if I had to pick yes or no, I would say yes.  When my father was dying at one point he had a big smile on his face and had his arms lifted upwards like he was reaching for someone.  Who knows if he was experiencing a hallucination or if it he was really seeing something/someone.  My mom is thoroughly convinced it was the latter.  

• Thanks 1
  • Author
1 hour ago, FMW said:

I was raised Southern Baptist and definitely taught that we will see each other again someday.

When my father was dying at one point he had a big smile on his face and had his arms lifted upwards like he was reaching for someone.  Who knows if he was experiencing a hallucination or if it he was really seeing something/someone.  My mom is thoroughly convinced it was the latter.  

Bolded - omg I got chills reading that! 

And you're right, I was looking for some sort of definitive answer but there is none.  However, I do lean towards what my dad experienced and your dad experienced.

Believing it gives me peace and something to look forward to; I do not fear death, not at all. 

Thank you so much for responding FMW and for sharing the story about your dad.  It helped a lot. 

Edited by poppyfields
  • Like 1
major_merrick

I tend not to believe too much in near death experiences.  I think that when we approach death, lots of weird things happen in the brain.  People's descriptions of being near death vary widely.  My husband has been near death twice - one of those times was when he was shot and bled so badly that he had no pulse and stopped breathing.  He hasn't described anything that resembles the "common" near death experience of seeing bright light and people who've gone before. 

My Christian faith tells me that there is life after death.  And that belief in Jesus makes the difference between that Life being a pleasant one in the presence of God, or an unpleasant one without God.  Whether you see the people you love depends an both your belief and theirs.  For me, since my parents (to my knowledge) both died as unbelievers, I do not expect to see them again.  But friends and relatives who died in faith?  I trust I will see them again, and it makes grief a bit easier to bear.  We don't grieve like those who have no hope. 

Before I had definite Christian beliefs, I had more of a pagan belief in an afterlife that resembled Valhalla.  Drinking and fighting and revelry, reserved for the brave who died in battle.  I think that many cultures have similar beliefs, which tells me that people have eternity kind of written into their brains.  The first principle of many faiths is, "This is not all that we are."  Make sure that as you're searching for answers, you ask the right questions so you end up in the right place.  Eternity is at stake. 

• Thanks 1

Absolutely. I have no experience with near death experiences. Crossing over etc but I have had profound spiritual experiences in my life. Experiences of I guess a closeness to God like you describe. The peace and joy and overwhelming sense of happiness that comes from his presence. Because of this I have no doubts about what comes after. It makes sense to me that these expereinces of closeness to God come as someone is in the process of leaving the physical realm. 

My understanding is it is our spirits which live on when our physical body dies. And thus its important we nurture and protect our spirit in this life. By following spiritual teachings. The golden law. By helping and assisting others - by trying to serve and draw close to God now while in the physical world. Guiding others to right actions and helping those in need. If we do this then we have assurances we will go to higher planes when we pass and be reuinted with those we love. 

I think its a great blessing your father was able to convey to you these things before he passed - so you know he has gone to that place and is waiting for you and watching over you. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Near death experiences are not fully understood and currently science has no definitive explanation for them.

No one knows if there is such a thing as an "afterlife" but I think what brings you inner peace is what's important.  

Some things just can't be explained.

• Thanks 1

I don't know, but I hope so. My great uncle had an experience when he died on the operating table. He was angry that he was brought back. Said that he was floating somewhere, and felt totally at peace. It changed his outlook/attitude towards life. 

Edited by Angelle
  • Thanks 1

Like everyone else on Earth, I don't know. I don't believe it personally. I believe that after-death is the same as pre-birth. However, I know nothing, and wouldn't it be so nice if we could reunite with loved ones? I hope I'm wrong, I would love to see my family again. 

• Thanks 1
  • Author
On 11/29/2020 at 2:57 AM, Curious-Sam said:

Absolutely. I have no experience with near death experiences. Crossing over etc but I have had profound spiritual experiences in my life. Experiences of I guess a closeness to God like you describe. The peace and joy and overwhelming sense of happiness that comes from his presence. Because of this I have no doubts about what comes after. It makes sense to me that these expereinces of closeness to God come as someone is in the process of leaving the physical realm. 

My understanding is it is our spirits which live on when our physical body dies. And thus its important we nurture and protect our spirit in this life. By following spiritual teachings. The golden law. By helping and assisting others - by trying to serve and draw close to God now while in the physical world. Guiding others to right actions and helping those in need. If we do this then we have assurances we will go to higher planes when we pass and be reuinted with those we love. 

I think its a great blessing your father was able to convey to you these things before he passed - so you know he has gone to that place and is waiting for you and watching over you. :)

What an inspirational post thank you!  And yes I am very grateful and thankful that he was able to share this!

He had been unconscious and when I arrived, he sat up, held my hand and told me.  After which he lay down into unconsciousness again and never woke up.  

I hope he is with my mom and stepmom.  I need to believe that and that one day I will join them. 

• Like 1
  • Author
17 hours ago, Angelle said:

I don't know, but I hope so. My great uncle had an experience when he died on the operating table. He was angry that he was brought back. Said that he was floating somewhere, and felt totally at peace. It changed his outlook/attitude towards life. 

Oh wow, that is both chilling and beautiful.  

• Like 1

Poppy you know I respect you. I am one of those Atheist skeptics when it comes to believing in the existence of an afterlife. 

I could link you a few peer-reviewed studies from legitimate medical journals that prove how the brain created the soul, how the brain secretes a chemical that makes people crave religion, why the brain creates a white tunnel as the person lays dying, that supports my skepticism. But I won't do that. Because this is not about convincing you that your beliefs are wrong (or right). 

I don't support the belief in the afterlife at all. I'm sorry. 

On 11/28/2020 at 3:54 PM, poppyfields said:

Anyway, I never forgot what my dad told me about my mom and stepmom literally welcoming him "in" with wide open arms.  I get chills thinking about it!  

What do y'all think?  Is he with my mom and stepmom now?  Will I reunite with him after I die?  Or was it simply a dream?  

No one can literally answer that question for you, because no one really nows. All people can do is speculate based on what their religious/non-religious beliefs are; what their personal values are; what their experiences with death and out of body experiences are. There is no definitive answer to your question; just a lot of theorizing from all sides. 

Do you need an answer? Will that quell your fear of death at all? Before we all shuffle off this mortal coil (a la Shakespeare), it's best to just focus on the present moment and be grateful to be alive (whatever that means on the spectrum of life's good -- s***ty scale). I'm not too worried about what will happen to me after my time comes. I'm not worried because I won't know until I die, if there is an afterlife or not. 

I don't know where your dad is. I think, whatever comforts you, is what you should believe. I think that's more important than worrying about the "what if's" regarding an afterlife. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, poppyfields said:

Yes I am very grateful and thankful that he was able to share this!
He had been unconscious and when I arrived, he sat up, held my hand and told me.  After which he lay down into unconsciousness again and never woke up.  
I hope he is with my mom and stepmom.  I need to believe that and that one day I will join them. 

I think its beautiful you have gained a direct insight from a loved one - which many people don't get. This should I think firstly - give you a sense of peace and calm. Knowing your father and other loved ones are in a better place. This can help to lessen the burden and worry regarding their passing because you know they are safe and well and you will see them again. Its not a goodbye - its just until we meet again. So you don't have to stress or worry about this unnecessarily.  

But secondly I would hope it also gives you a sense of priority and purpose to your life. When you know their is a higher cause and a higher purpose - it can also help us to lift our eyes and hearts above the earthly, materialistic desires we are often consumed with. Often these special spiritual insights can really change our perspective for the better. Show us whats really important in life and help us to dedicate more of our time and energy towards them. 🙏 

• Like 2
On 11/28/2020 at 1:54 PM, poppyfields said:

Do you believe after we die, there is some sort of after life wherein we will reunite with loved ones who have previously passed?

Alas, no, I don't think there is an afterlife.  I think the whole concept is a primitive response to loss and a way to both control behavior via religion (do this and you'll be rewarded later) or lessen the hardships of life now (suffering is noble and you'll be rewarded in an afterlife).  So I think it's wishful thinking.

• Like 1
  • Author
16 hours ago, Watercolors said:

Poppy you know I respect you. I am one of those Atheist skeptics when it comes to believing in the existence of an afterlife. 

I could link you a few peer-reviewed studies from legitimate medical journals that prove how the brain created the soul, how the brain secretes a chemical that makes people crave religion, why the brain creates a white tunnel as the person lays dying, that supports my skepticism. But I won't do that. Because this is not about convincing you that your beliefs are wrong (or right). 

I don't support the belief in the afterlife at all. I'm sorry. 

No one can literally answer that question for you, because no one really nows. All people can do is speculate based on what their religious/non-religious beliefs are; what their personal values are; what their experiences with death and out of body experiences are. There is no definitive answer to your question; just a lot of theorizing from all sides. 

Do you need an answer? Will that quell your fear of death at all? Before we all shuffle off this mortal coil (a la Shakespeare), it's best to just focus on the present moment and be grateful to be alive (whatever that means on the spectrum of life's good -- s***ty scale). I'm not too worried about what will happen to me after my time comes. I'm not worried because I won't know until I die, if there is an afterlife or not. 

I don't know where your dad is. I think, whatever comforts you, is what you should believe. I think that's more important than worrying about the "what if's" regarding an afterlife. 

Thank you WC, I am always open to different perspectives.

I am not a religious person, but I am spiritual.  I have no idea whether or not it's true, but believing it gives me comfort.  I guess it's about having faith, that's all. Gives me strength.  

I do not have a fear of death.  To the contrary, I welcome death when my time comes.  Hopefully I have many many years left, but no I am not afraid of death at all. 

Anyway, thank you for your thoughts WC and I respect you too!  

Thank you to everyone who chimed in.  I am absorbing all of it!  

Edited by poppyfields
  • Like 3
  • Author

To add, I'm an agnostic. I don't believe in "God" per se or a "heaven."  I do not attend church or any religious services.  

My spirituality exists within.  

I do believe in the Universe and energy.  Physical (and spiritual) energy while here on earth and spiritual energy after we die.

I believe there is another dimension of the Universe after we pass, where our spiritual energy survives.

I know it sounds hokey, but that's my belief.  Right or wrong.  😂

Edited by poppyfields
  • Like 2

I read a book a couple of months back called "Your soul''s Gift".  It was an intriguing concept involving reincarnation and souls who are part of the same "soul family" making pre-life contracts with eachother.  There were all sorts of discussions via mediums (which isn't something I'm into) with the dead and departed.  The idea is that we sign up to all sorts of experiences in the earthly life as part of becoming more evolved souls.  Some of it was decidedly dodgy (eg the idea of a soul contracting "you will abuse me" in our next life)...but as a general concept I quite liked this idea of people agreeing to taken on certain experiences before being born, as part of evolving.  It makes you consider things from a new perspective.  

People often choose to watch disturbing films, or read books that deal with highly distressing situations - even though they know it'll be an upsetting experience.  Since we do that, it stands to reason that if there's such a thing as a soul that is capable of living many lifetimes, it might choose to experience very difficult lives at times in order to broaden its understanding of the human experience.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, poppyfields said:

To add, I'm an agnostic. I don't believe in "God" per se or a "heaven."  I do not attend church or any religious services.  

My spirituality exists within.  

I do believe in the Universe and energy.  Physical (and spiritual) energy while here on earth and spiritual energy after we die.

I believe there is another dimension of the Universe after we pass, where our spiritual energy survives.

I know it sounds hokey, but that's my belief.  Right or wrong.  😂

Doesn't sound hokey. I'm a Christian and aside from your first statement my beliefs are basically identical to yours. 😊

The main thing that changes with belief in God is that your aiming to connect with a "higher" spiritual energy rather then just rely on your own. That profound, euphoric energy of love that your father encountered shortly before his passing. That's what I'm talking about. Connecting with that higher divine energy is possible not just as we die - but while we are alive. This is the true aim of the spiritual lineages. It's not just going through the motions and performing dead religious ritual - and "believing" but not really having any experiences to validate the belief. Sacrificing or suffering and hoping we get rewarded in the next life. It's about striving for and seeking reward in our lives now - real and ongoing experiences of that higher spiritual energy like what your father had. Those profound experiences of divine love. We can have these same experiences now while we are still here. Non believers often think people of "faith" are just blindly believing things they have never experienced. The first steps do require faith - you have to take steps in the direction in order to have the experiences - but once you do this it changes. 

Just as a personal example I attend a regular prayer group meeting. Around 30-40 random people who just come together in private to seek experiences of this higher energy of God. Those sessions last for about 2 hours and it's just like being bathed in love. I walk into the room where they are held and this peace and love and joy just envelopes me. In the eastern schools they talk about meditation - like sitting down and stilling the mind  in these sessions I walk in the room and it's like that happens automatically. Without effort or action on my part. Your mind just goes into this deep place of peace and calm. It's like everything stops and my heart just gets filled with this warm glowing sense of love. It's my most treasured time of the week.

So for me what you called the "other dimension for after we pass" .... Isn't just for after we pass. It's something we can connect with and be tranformed by the in the here and now and it changes us for the better so we can then spread that energy to others 😊

Anyway that's all from me - just thought I would share a little more - I wish you the best.

Edited by Curious-Sam
  • Like 4
Ruby Slippers

I believe the soul lives forever in some form. And yes, when we leave this world, we're freed of all the pain and suffering of the material world, and our soul reconnects with the rest of the souls on that plane. 

• Like 2

I’ve had a near death experience. I also used to be very religious.

now I believe that everything and everyone is just energy... and that energy can survive after someone/something dies.

and I also have evidence of being capable of communicating with energy after someone/animals die.

if any person is extremely “open” to this belief - it’s easy to hear what they tell us. 

my “God” lives within everything and everyone. It doesn’t differentiate unequally. 

Edited by S2B
  • Like 3
Ruby Slippers
16 minutes ago, Curious-Sam said:

So for me what you called the "other dimension for after we pass" .... Isn't just for after we pass. It's something we can connect with and be tranformed by the in the here and now and it changes us for the better so we can then spread that energy to others 😊

I agree. I think the modern world has lost a lot by being separated from God. You don't have to buy into any particular religion to develop a spiritual connection to a higher power. Religions tend to breed corruption - but spirituality can be free of that. Call it God, love, energy, whatever you like. There is a force beyond rational understanding, and tapping into this force is powerful and healing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Poppy, I can't believe I forgot to reference one of my favorite Al Brooks/Meryl Streep movies of all time, "Defending Your Life." If ever there was a resource that could sway this curmudgeon to "believe" in the afterlife, it would be this Brooks' movie. I adore it. It's hilarious. I wish this is what the afterlife was like. And hopefully, I'd get a lawyer that didn't screw me. 

• Like 2
On 11/28/2020 at 3:54 PM, poppyfields said:

Sorry for your loss. When my dad died I took to having conversations with him in my head, and I still think about him a lot and imagine seeing him again. I don't think it matters whether the afterlife is real so much as the comfort the thought of it gives me, and a channel for the grief. 

Many of the things he did in life still help me today, I paint with his brushes and paints he sent me, the money he saved and left us helped cushion the Harvey flood damage, and he raised us siblings to always treat each other well. 

His life still touches mine daily.

And just to kick the dish around....

If I'm a believer of Islam, 72 virgin maidens will be waiting for me in paradise when I become a martyr.... Why any bloke would want 72 females of any sort in his life is beyond me!!! 

What ever helps you get through the day, I guess... 

I was raised in a fairly religious protestant family, I know a lot of the teachings. Evolution plays too much of a role in our lives to be discounted. It's not black and white....

Afterlife: Maybe play it on the safe side...