I feel like I am going to snap but am I overreacting?

Happy Lemming
24 minutes ago, ironpony said:

But now my friends tell me because of this covid thing, houses are not worth anything so don't by until houses are worth more again, because then it will be easier to resell if you want, they said.

Real estate is all over the place, it is crazy busy here and most stuff is selling, quick.

I do have an acquaintance/business associate trying to sell a high end home, he has had two contracts fall through in the last month.  So I really can't make any generalizations about real estate during this pandemic.  As far as reselling, it is best to stay in a home at least 2-5 years before you resell it (unless you paid cash for it).

27 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Well I wanted to move out on my own before, it's just my parents talked me out of it before, saying that I cannot make it on my own because I am autistic.

Is you autism so severe that you can't live on your own??  I mean you've been holding down a job, so you must be able to function in society, correct??  Can you clarify??

You need to find a mentor. Someone who can lead you through the ropes. The mentor doesn' t have to be a film person. Someone with autism who's a successful profession in the same way you aspire to be ... would be good. 

I would focus on the script ... get to to where 75 percent of the people you show it to think it's amazing! And the others still recognize the craft ... they just may not think it's the kind of film they're into. The script can often get you investors and attract others ... with more money, you can hire better actors. There are some directors who can coax good performance out of actors. I'm not sure they loudly announce this, because they fear they will be insulting the actors. But in the old days, of DVD's with little extras on directors, you could see which directors were really hands on with the actors. 

You've got the right enthusiasm. Just find some element of film making to work on right now. To improve yourself and your odds of getting a movie made. If you like your script and don't want to share it further, then start another. It really takes multiple scripts to get good at writing. 

Wanna say I love your enthusiasm and energy. And some mentor you meet with love it as well. 

• Author

Oh okay.  Well I have a couple of mentors, who are filmmakers I helped before.  My film school professor is kind of one as well.  He says I should make the movie and that this is normal for everyone to reach the point of make or break. So he is definitely more about sending an end result for sure...

Sure I will concentrate on the script during this time thanks.  Right now I have been budgeting and storyboarding the project, but if I change the script than I will have to put the storyboarding and budget on hold though of course.  Thanks for liking me enthusiam and energy though.

Versacehottie

You have been getting some great advice from Happy Lemming and the others.  Being from LA, I've been around the film business A LOT.  Here are a few things you should really wrap your head around immediately if you are going to do this.  The film business requires tremendous flexibility and creative thinking--not only when it comes to the story and the true creative side but literally with everything, including and especially logistics.  So you need to get that right away.  

Happy L keeps telling you to get some of your ideas up onto a social media platform like youtube, tiktok or instagram which is an excellent and valid way for people to get noticed, not to mention practice your skills in all parts of filmmaking.  So many people are getting discovered as on-camera talent this way as well as filmmaking, story making talent--basically if you AREN'T doing this you are missing a great opportunity and most people trying to get their foot in the door ARE doing some version of this.  Also you know why they are?  Because if they are blocked financially or from getting great talent in their projects, or trying to do things on a budget/no budget, this is a very low cost way to GET UNBLOCKED.  Even $200 million dollar movies with a-list actors have obstacles, with all sorts of things so you need to work on creatively addressing the obstacles you have right now.

Directors are creators.  If you don't have burning stories inside of you, or something you want to do with some material right now, there is TOUGH competition that it will be difficult to overcome..  Utilizing an easy to enter platform like YouTube etc can get you noticed.  The best creative ideas are still the best even without a ton of money behind them.  If you are studying filmmaking, you should run into or make an effort to research the classic examples of this that turned into success.  Also you can learn from the "failures", of movies out there that DESPITE a large budget, a good actors still DID NOT succeed.

Also you keep speaking of the actors you need in your projects, good writing and clever filmmaking & editing--all of which you can showcase on youtube for example will make you "hot" and give you traction where you can attract great talent people to  your projects--even the tiniest ones.  Just like there are aspiring and growing directors who are essentially out of work, ie not getting paid technically, there are many actors in the same position.  They may not be famous yet but it can change almost overnight if the material is good.  The benefit of the last few years is that these mediums are EXACTLY a valid place--some would even say PREFERABLE place due to the audience you get on them--to show your work.  

One of the most important things in film making is getting good actors "attached" to you projects.  If the biggest stars want to do your work, the funding will come.  How does that happen?  Basically you are either represented by agent (often packaged with talent/project) OR if starting out and unrepresented, you send unsolicited scripts, network to do the same or get noticed from putting out clever or moving content with the tools you have NOW.  See what I said about that flexibility?  It's always in play. You will need it every step of the way.  Good actors are desperate for good work--and well known ones have more power to do something when they find it.  Like someone said, it will help if you know movie history, director or actor career trajectory--if only to provide you some examples of how they confronted obstacles.  Also there are EXCELLENT actors who may not be name recognized yet that would do a project for free if the material is good and you've shown some clever aspect.  Good example, if you can't get live actors, fall back on animation---I just saw a really clever piece animated the other day, ironically from someone who is a name.  So network with actors via theatre, drama schools, watching what they are creating on social media.  There are more talented people than there is paying work so they are certainly out there.  So you need to network and research.  The research part is relatively easy if you think about it--it's pretty easy to see what people are up to & bump into talent people thanks to internet & social media.  If you can find them, they can find YOU---provided you start putting out content.  good luck.

btw, story is everything :)

• Like 1
  • Author

Oh okay.  Yes I don't want to spend any more money than I have to, but I do need the acting to be good of course.  But I don't think I am going to get known actors though, so shouldn't I try to get unknown actors, and try to market a movie anyway?  What about movies that have had unknown actors in and where still successes though?

I also considered doing an animated film, especially during covid, but I was told by others that animation is much harder to do, than live filmmaking, and it would be much harder to pull off, and it would cost a lot more, if that's true? 

Edited by ironpony