I feel like I am going to snap but am I overreacting?

• Author

Yeah but the current position does not call for as much of driving so far.  The new position would call for a lot more of it.  Plus I told them when I started that I was committed to this position until it was over, so if I take a new job now, does that make me look bad when I said I was committed?

Or I guess I also want to see what else they have for me, since I like the current job?

Edited by ironpony
Happy Lemming
Just now, ironpony said:

The new position would call for a lot more of it.

OK... now I understand.

It still wouldn't hurt to "test the waters"...  You might find a GREAT job that requires no driving, whatsoever.

• Author

Oh okay sure.  However, I really the current job I have and feel like I want to ride it out till it ends, sometime in December.  Is that bad to ride it out till the end if I enjoy the job a lot or should I look for a new one, if I know this one is ending in December likely at some point?

Happy Lemming

December is less than a month away... start looking, NOW!!

You know you don't want the "winter driving" job, so start sending out resumes', NOW!!

If you find a new GREAT job, turn in two weeks notice and leave.

• Author

Oh okay, but I told them I would stick with them until December though, so is it unprofessional to break that and leave after two weeks if I get something?

Happy Lemming

Personally, I look out for number 1...  Unless I specifically signed an employment contract that stated I would work until a certain date, I leave after giving two week notice.

2 hours ago, ironpony said:

As for the ideas being great, in the filmmaking community the acting gets noticed a lot, and people view that as a problem over story to a degree.

That's because the actors, (especially known and trusted actors) are generally what brings the viewers and therefore the dollars.    One of my friends is a wannabe actor and currently gets AU$7,000 for a TV commercial.   Multiply that out over a whole movie....and remember that this is not someone who will draw crowds ....and you'll have some idea of what you're up against.

As much as I sincerely admire your work ethic and immense aspirations, I think the amount of difficulties you have faced over time has been way too detrimental to your health, your sanity and ability to succeed in the goal you are trying to reach. I really don't want to be that guy, but I think it's about time to re-evaluate some things more suitable for you to achieve.

• Thanks 1
  • Author

Well I was told to make a feature film for less money, by others because that is more suitable to achieve, but other filmmaker in the business say that's not possible, and you need as much money as you can do it, rather than cutting corners, so I don't know what to do if corner cutting will show as bad in a sense.

• Author
6 hours ago, basil67 said:

That's because the actors, (especially known and trusted actors) are generally what brings the viewers and therefore the dollars.    One of my friends is a wannabe actor and currently gets AU$7,000 for a TV commercial.   Multiply that out over a whole movie....and remember that this is not someone who will draw crowds ....and you'll have some idea of what you're up against.

Yeah so I thought I would use my money for paying better actors, but that does mean spending the money.  I don't think you can just post some zero budget shorts on youtube, hoping to get noticed if the acting is bad because it wasn't paid for, can I?

Happy Lemming
1 hour ago, ironpony said:

I don't think you can just post some zero budget shorts on youtube, hoping to get noticed if the acting is bad because it wasn't paid for, can I?

I think that may be your only avenue towards this dream.

As an example, Seth Mcfarlane... 

The way I understand it, he was in school and one of his teachers really liked an animated short film that he made.  That teacher submitted it to some producers/people in the industry (he knew) that might be interested in Seth's work.  "Family Guy" was actually based on that animated short film "The Life of Larry and Steve" and so began Seth Mcfarlane's career.

Do you have a similar "in" or "individual to help you" that will get this film noticed??

As a side note, I watched some home made short films on youtube last night and some were actually pretty good. One had 3.4M views, one (I really liked) only had 311K views and some had very few views (like 18K - over a 10 year period).

Before I would spend $150K, I would "test the waters" on youtube, I do think it would be a good barometer.  And if you are some dynamite movie producer with fantastic ideas, your video will go viral and someone will notice.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ironpony said:

Well I was trying to budget on a microbudget movie for about 150K

Have you suddenly had a huge injection of extra cash?

Please avoid the fantasy of "if I have more money, THEN I could make a good film." Nope. That's false. You want to technically improve your skills on a low budget. Until you can make some REALLY good on low-budget, it's foolish to think you can make something really good on a high budget. 

You have so many options. Now may be the time to improve your script-writing skills. Basically during this odd time, you want to find some way to work on filming without spending tons of money. What can you do now that will prepare you for a full-length film? You have a full script for your current film? How good is it? Who have you showed it to? What comments did they make? Most really good movies have to start with an excellent script.

Here are some keys you are going to need to even make a really good short!  And you'll need these skills in abundance to make a full-length film. One, you need to find a community of creatives (there are many online--and in person) that you can use as your support system to fight off the negativity you're feeling from family. You might even look for an entrepreneurs support group. Those folks face the same issue--whether to quit their current job, whether  their idea is good and so on, doubt and criticism from family and on and on. You need to join some young filmmaker communities and forums. 

You also are going to need to learn how to really coach and motivate actors. Really good directors coax great performances out of actors. So how are your people skills? If you have some money, look around and take some courses in managing people and motivating people, perhaps workshops on assertiveness training and negotiation. There will be times on the set when your actors are not getting it. And you will need to have the skill of coaching them, guiding them,  begging them, in a way that respects them and pulls the best performance out of them. How good are your speaking skills--about say coaching an actor to add a bit of anger to a scene or a bit of insecurity.  You could take online acting classes--method acting might be a good background skill to use. Method acting has its flaws but OMG, you will learn how to guide actors into tapping into their personal experiences to capture a certain emotion or feeling. 

Don't fall for the fantasy that once I have the money, I will produce something great. Life doesn't work that way. Hollywood and independents have a lot of money and produce tons of mediocre films a year, tons of utter bombs a year--not just bombs commercially but critically--movies that make no sense, that have no tension or suspense. 

BTW: how well do you know movies? Could you sit down--in a meeting with an investor-producer--and cite in detail ten films that you can draw on, films that you know everything about, from the lighting to the acting, to the plot points, the foreshadowing, the three acts and so on. What about 20? What about 50? Could you describe what makes the openings effective and powerful of 50 really good films? How well do you know Syd Field's work? Or Robert McKee's work. McKee's Story is a classic. And his recent book on writing film dialogue is also said to be excellent (if not the classic that Story is). How well do you know Michael Hague's work on story structure? He offers classes--take some. How well do you know the whole hero's journey structure?--tons of online courses out there on that, as well as books. 

Your job is to find a way to improve your skills now. Use this time to improve in some area. Film directing draws so many skills. Focus on improving some of them! What are your best directing skills right now? What are you weaknesses? If you had money, would you be able to tell a producer-investor exactly what your strengths are? ... and then what your weaknesses are such that you'd want to hire someone strong in that area?

There's tons of steps you can take, but you have to drop the all-or-nothing thinking. 

• Author

Oh okay.  I could try to coax performances out of the actors, but is it possible to do that if the actors were not considered good, by the viewers?  Is it possible to make not good actors good, if the directing is good?

As for comments on the script, so fair opinions have varied from bad to good, some liked it some didn't.  Opinions were mixed.  I was told this was normal and it's rare to get a majority opinion to be the same, and said I just have to pick a script and go with it.  I was actually told by other filmmakers though that turning not good actors into good actors is a myth though, and I need actors who have more talent to begin if that's true?

As for the Seth McFarlane example, I don't know how much he would have had to spend on his first cartoon?  Did he hire actors to do the voices and hire an animator for example?

And I know that Hollywood has tons of money and produce a lot of mediocre movies, but the acting is usually good in them though.  So I thought more money would bring in better acting, since you do not often see bad acting in more costly movies.

As for much I know of movies, I feel I know movies I like well, if that's what you mean.  I do not know if Syd Field or Robert Mcknee's work.  But I do know of other people's work and other filmmaker's work.

As for improving weaknesses right now, well I can't really direct actors right now, because no one wants to act with covid about so far, it seems.  I don't feel I have all or nothing thinking, it's just I feel that the industry has that thinking because eventually you have to make a film that you hope to market or hope to sell, so I feel its' the industry that has that thinking, that I have to go by, and I'm just responding off of the external situation.  I don't think that is my personal thinking.

But as for directing actors better, do I have to have a good feeling about the actor in the audition in order for the actor to be good?  Most of the actors in prior auditions, I didn't really have a good feeling about but I went with them because they were the best choice compared to the others.  But do you have to have a good feeling in the audition?  Or is it okay to have a bad feeling about the actor as long as you can direct them better and get a good performance out of them?

Edited by ironpony
  • Author

Another thing is one of the reasons why the short films suffered is because I was forced to make rewrites because people dropped out and had to be replaced.  I was told the way to get them to stick around is to sign contracts.  But would they be interested in honoring a contract if it was zero budget?  I thought paying everyone would help that.

Happy Lemming
57 minutes ago, ironpony said:

As for the Seth McFarlane example, I don't know how much he would have had to spend on his first cartoon?  Did he hire actors to do the voices and hire an animator for example?

I think his animation was a college project he submitted to his teacher for a grade.  I'm pretty sure he did both voices himself and all of the animation, but I don't know that to be fact.  I don't think any one was hired as this was a school project.

I think you are missing my point, he got a break in the industry because a teacher saw potential in Seth and forwarded his work to some contacts (known by the teacher). Did you take film production in college, is there a teacher who told you that you have potential in the industry?? Do you have any contacts or people that could recommend your film or script to these Hollywood "producers"??  How much networking have you done with these individuals??

Have you submitted any of your other projects to the Sundance Film Festival??

• Author

No I haven't submitted to Sundance, because Sundance is the top of the top, and a lot of movies that get distribution even, Sundance wouldn't have taken.  Plus Sundance is very unlikely to take a movie unless there is a named actor in it.

As far as networking goes, I have a group of filmmakers and other crew members and actors I have worked with before.  One filmmaker I am helping with her project for example, got 1.5 million in funding from investors to make her movie.  I'm surprised actually because she used the same actors I did for her prior projects, and I felt the acting was about the same as mine.  But she got it.  However, even though she is getting a directing credit, so far, other people are doing the directing for the investors, and she is kind of a figurehead role, so to speak.  But maybe that's good, because she still gets the directing credit, even though others are in control, but that is more important?

Cookiesandough

It’s understandable to me. I understand having a life goal and feeling like it is almost tangible yet just dangling slightly out of your reach like a carrot on the end of a stick. It is more than slightly maddening.  I am studying for a career that I am not all that much  interested in because it was my parents plan for me. However, I have my own passions and dreams that I’ve never felt I had the liberty to pursue because of them. My advice to you is to never give up on your dreams and keep moving towards them,  even if you have to also do more practical things in the meantime 

Edited by Shortskirtslonglashes
  • Author

Oh yeah for sure, I will do other things in the meantime, it's just I feel I need to actually do it, otherwise it keeps being put off.  And it's not just things like covid that are delaying.  First I was told not to make it three years ago, because of the metoo movement, and people said that it's not the right time politcally to make the movie.  Then comes covid I am told it's not the right time.  After that comes the George Floyd incident and I am told the script I have will work even less now with that and to wait.  So I feel like the more I wait, the more complicated it becomes to make.

Happy Lemming

So her film is better than yours and she was able to secure investors... you were not.

Obviously, she had the talent to write something that interested the investors and they secured their investment with some overseer(s).  Your script did not interest them.

Would this woman be willing to read your script and give you an honest critique??

8 minutes ago, ironpony said:

One filmmaker I am helping with her project for example, got 1.5 million in funding from investors to make her movie. 

• Author

Oh I didn't appeal to many investors yet.  I was waiting for covid to lighting up a bit, but should I start now?  I could get her to read it, but I think she is more of a director rather than a story writing critic though, if that makes any difference.  I wanted to get her to read it anyway but she is so busy with her own projects, and with the feature lately, that it's hard to get time from her.

Edited by ironpony
Happy Lemming
15 minutes ago, ironpony said:

I could get her to read it, but I think she is more of a director rather than a story writing critic though, if that makes any difference.  I wanted to get her to read it anyway...

Well she has what it takes to secure the investors, so yes I would seek her insight.  Covid-19 has put many things on hold, so yes you are delayed until the pandemic is resolved.

Yes, I would ask her to read it (when she has time) and give you an honest harsh critique on the script.  Who knows, she may like it and introduce you to the appropriate people. 

I have a few questions.... I didn't read your other thread about your parents, can you give me a shortened condensed version of what was said??  Do you live with them??  Where are you getting the $150K from??  Do you have those funds saved up somewhere??

• Author

Oh well what if she doesn't like the script, then she may not introduce me to them... What if I ask her to introduce me to them first, just in case, if that is better?

Yeah my parents were trying to seize control of the money, worried I was not right in the head for risking it on a business investment such as this.  Yes I live with them.  The money is my money saved up over the years since high school and from jobs I have been working a lot, whenever I can.

Happy Lemming
21 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Yes I live with them.

Don't you think it is time to move out and be on your own??  You are 36, time to leave the nest...  dream or no dream, film or no film, you need to move out and become an independent adult.

22 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Oh well what if she doesn't like the script, then she may not introduce me to them...

Look this woman knows what sells, if she doesn't like the script, then ask her why and try a re-write.

Why would she introduce you to her contacts, if she can't "sell you to them".  In order to "sell you to them" she has to know you have what it takes and have a worthy idea/script.

• Author
21 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

Don't you think it is time to move out and be on your own??  You are 36, time to leave the nest...  dream or no dream, film or no film, you need to move out and become an independent adult.

Look this woman knows what sells, if she doesn't like the script, then ask her why and try a re-write.

Why would she introduce you to her contacts, if she can't "sell you to them".  In order to "sell you to them" she has to know you have what it takes and have a worthy idea/script.

Yep that's true, I can show her then.

Well I wanted to move out on my own before, it's just my parents talked me out of it before, saying that I cannot make it on my own because I am autistic. So I just find that discouraging everytime I suggest moving out.  They also said before don't move out unless you buy a house that you are for sure you will want to live in for 10 years, but it's hard to make that type of commitment because I don't know what city I want to live in.  Somewhere with more filmmaking opportunities for sure, but not sure where, which is why I find it hard to commit to at least 10 years for living.

But now my friends tell me because of this covid thing, houses are not worth anything so don't by until houses are worth more again, because then it will be easier to resell if you want, they said.