September 2020 Updates to LS

38 minutes ago, Piddy said:

In the song thread it will only display as a link now.  Not as good as before.

That seems to be a bug. We'll work to get it sorted!

6 hours ago, mark clemson said:

I liked having the original poster flag on the avatars; hope we can bring that one back. It can help in longer threads...

This is still here, just a bit different. Look for the "Author" tag above a poster's post if they're the thread starter.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Paul said:

This is still here, just a bit different. Look for the "Author" tag above a poster's post if they're the thread starter.

Ah - appreciate it, Paul!

Just posted in the Movie thread and I put two links in (N.Y. Times and Oprah Magazine) and it said the URL wasn't allowed and it needs moderator approval.  I hope this is just a glitch because getting rid of the moderator approval for links was a HUGE step in the right direction. 

No one wanted to use links in a fast moving thread like the Elections thread because by the time they got approved the post with the link was buried and no one would see it.  It was working fine for the short time the link restriction was lifted.  If anyone used an unreliable / not credible source it could just get reported for someone to look at.

Fingers crossed this is just a glitch.  🤞

Edited by Piddy
15 minutes ago, Piddy said:

Just posted in the Movie thread and I put two links in (N.Y. Times and Oprah Magazine) and it said the URL wasn't allowed and it needs moderator approval.  I hope this is just a glitch because getting rid of the moderator approval for links was a HUGE step in the right direction. 

This would be a glitch. We're looking into it. Thanks for your patience!

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
10 hours ago, mark clemson said:

I liked having the original poster flag on the avatars; hope we can bring that one back. It can help in longer threads...

Was just coming here to say that! I really liked that.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Piddy said:

Fingers crossed this is just a glitch.  🤞

We think we fixed this, though the issue remains with YouTube video embedding (and other embedded content).

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Piddy said:

In the song thread it will only display as a link now.  Not as good as before.

And, we think we've sorted this as well! Sorry for the errant gerbils.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, max3732 said:

Is there any way to get rid of the pictures for the different topics? It makes it much harder to navigate and they're distracting

Sure! You can change your default view by clicking on the forum view selector at the top of the page:

pickyourpoison.png

• Like 1

Site is running real slow.  I get an error message with error codes at times saying something about gerbils and try again.  SSL Handshake error.

Edited by Piddy
17 minutes ago, Piddy said:

Site is running real slow.  I get an error message with error codes at times saying something about gerbils and try again.  SSL Handshake error.

Thanks for the heads up! Those pesky gerbils.

Is this something that has just started for you?

8 minutes ago, elaine567 said:

In the "Reply to this topic" box, the back and forward edit arrows have disappeared.

We've been going with a new organic pellet, and some of the gerbils have been organizing sit ins. We've found and fixed this. Thanks for the heads up!

• Thanks 1

There used to be a down arrow that directed you to the new posts after you last visited a thread.  Can that come back?  If it exists, can somebody please point me to it.   The horizontal line is helpful but I may still have to scroll a bit to find it

4 minutes ago, d0nnivain said:

There used to be a down arrow that directed you to the new posts after you last visited a thread.  Can that come back?  If it exists, can somebody please point me to it.   The horizontal line is helpful but I may still have to scroll a bit to find it

I can't for the life of me recall a down arrow, yet I'm sure it was there and that it's just time for a top off of coffee. It may still be here somewhere. 🤷‍♂️

There's a new option in your Account Settings that allows you to choose what happens when you click on a link to visit a thread by default. You can find it by going to your Account Settings and the Content View Behavior tab. You can choose to jump to the first comment you haven't read yet, the first comment (take me to the beginning), or the very last comment by default.

image.png

You can also jump to the first unread post by clicking the little dot (🐹) in front of a topic in the forum listing:

image.png

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Paul said:

image.png

You can also jump to the first unread post by clicking the little dot (🐹) in front of a topic in the forum listing:

image.png

Can we insert .jpg files into a post from our own hard drives??

Kind of similar to what you did here?? 

Just curious...

7 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

Can we insert .jpg files into a post from our own hard drives??

Sorry, but that's not available at this time. We don't have that turned on for non-moderators simply because of the additional cost of hosting images for everyone beyond some limited places (avatars, profile banners, journal images, etc.). Keeping things mostly text cuts back on our operational costs.

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Keeping things mostly text cuts back on our operational costs.

OK... thanks.  I completely understand. 

I was just curious.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Paul said:

Sure! You can change your default view by clicking on the forum view selector at the top of the page:

pickyourpoison.png

Thanks, much better! Is there a way to make that the default so I don't have to click on it each time I login?

2 hours ago, max3732 said:

Is there a way to make that the default so I don't have to click on it each time I login?

Your choice will be remembered automatically. 🤖

On 9/16/2020 at 9:04 PM, Paul said:

We've been going with a new organic pellet, and some of the gerbils have been organizing sit ins. We've found and fixed this. Thanks for the heads up!

They have disappeared again...

6 hours ago, elaine567 said:

They have disappeared again...

The newest batch are a particularly petulant breed. 🐹 We've fixed it again, and have reported a bug to our developers. It seems that whenever we perform an update in the backend, buttons go wonky.

• Thanks 1