September 2020 Updates to LS

10 minutes ago, max3732 said:

It doesn't work. I just logged in and the pictures are back.

@max3732 are you logging in from a mobile device? We did some testing here and it looks like when browsing on mobile, the choice is not saved as it should be. We've reported this bug to developers to investigate and find a fix for. Sorry for the issues!

If you log in via a desktop browser and change the setting, it appears that your choice is remembered, even when logging in again via mobile. That may be a temporary workaround for you if you try to adjust the setting in desktop mode in your mobile browser, or can log temporarily via desktop computer.

Sorry for the inconvenience with this!

22 hours ago, Paul said:

@max3732 are you logging in from a mobile device? We did some testing here and it looks like when browsing on mobile, the choice is not saved as it should be. We've reported this bug to developers to investigate and find a fix for. Sorry for the issues!

If you log in via a desktop browser and change the setting, it appears that your choice is remembered, even when logging in again via mobile. That may be a temporary workaround for you if you try to adjust the setting in desktop mode in your mobile browser, or can log temporarily via desktop computer.

Sorry for the inconvenience with this!

I'm on a desktop, but clear my browser history after each time I logon. It's not the end of the world, but it does make navigating the site more difficult/annoying for me and I wish it would just save my preference.

Yesterday I typed up a post and when I hit submit reply I got a colorful page of gerbils looking at me. 🐀  They were quite large and a little intimidating. lol  Anyway, the gerbils told me to try again.  Which I did, but my post was gone.  Had to type it up again. 

After that I copied my post in case the gerbils showed up again.  Luckily they did not.  

Edited by Piddy

I've been gerbiled before too, but it happened when I was submitting a comment on a thread that appeared maybe was removed while I was typing my comment, because I never found that thread again, even when searching for one of the words that was in the title.  

3 hours ago, Piddy said:

Yesterday I typed up a post and when I hit submit reply I got a colorful page of gerbils looking at me. 🐀  They were quite large and a little intimidating. lol  Anyway, the gerbils told me to try again.  Which I did, but my post was gone.  Had to type it up again. 

So sorry that happened, Piddy. We try to keep your posts in all cases (they're actually stored on your computer in a cookie as a draft until you hit submit). In most cases, you should be able to go to the same thread/private message you were replying to, open the editor, and your post should be magically restored. You can test this by starting to type a reply here, closing your browser window, and coming back. You should get a message that your post was restored and see your draft post.

This is a huge improvement over the days of yore when things would get eaten by the gerbils in the event of an error. At least they try to help now. We deployed some fixes yesterday that probably were at the same time you were posting.

1 hour ago, FMW said:

I've been gerbiled before too, but it happened when I was submitting a comment on a thread that appeared maybe was removed while I was typing my comment, because I never found that thread again, even when searching for one of the words that was in the title.  

Oh no! If you send some details to us about what the post or thread was about, we can try digging through the filing cabinets to see if we can find it and give you some insight into what happened. The gerbils are highly audited.

On 9/19/2020 at 9:21 AM, max3732 said:

I'm on a desktop, but clear my browser history after each time I logon. It's not the end of the world, but it does make navigating the site more difficult/annoying for me and I wish it would just save my preference.

Our developers are aware of the issue and we think we've identified the root cause of this bug. A fix is in the works, though we don't have a timeline for when it will be ready. In the interim, if you don't clear cookies, it should remember your preference as a workaround.

2 hours ago, elaine567 said:

Why has the ability to post an image been removed, along with all embedded images posted?

This was actually a bug that was fixed in our last update. While it's neat and can be useful to sometimes embed an image directly into a post, we think that should only happen if the image resides on our servers and not those of third-parties. The issue was that the images you were seeing were not being copied to our servers and hosted by LoveShack.org, but rather were being loaded from other web sites. This is often referred to as hotlinking.

Hotlinking is bad for a number of reasons, including not being good neighbors by making other web sites host images that are viewed here and in creating a scenario where the operators of those third-party servers could monitor and log information about you and your connection. Also, while those images are there at the moment they're linked to, often these images will be moved or deleted and result in broken links in the future.

The only way we'd want to have a feature like that would be if we were hosting the images ourselves, and at this point it doesn't make economic sense to take on the additional costs of maintaining the infrastructure that would be required to do so. Most of the conversations we have here would not benefit from images, and in many instances, individuals may be confused and think that they should share images of themselves to ask questions about their physical appearance, inadvertently risking their own privacy and identity.

Our apologies for the confusion. It was nice to see things like various charts in some of the discussions regarding trends with appropriate attribution being used in creative ways, but we believe that the risks outweigh the benefits at this time.

• Like 1

First time I've logged in lately.  Life ate my online self.  But this update is definitely not my cup of tea.  White background, site is sluggish.... please Please PLEASE undo whatever was done.  This thing is hard on the eyes and on my patience.

For some reason in one particular thread, the main Coronavirus thread in the Covid forum, it's saying my content is moderated and will need to be approved. But nowhere else I can tell. And I haven't posted in there for days that I can remember.

That's something I haven't seen before. Is the forum software messing with me, are individual threads subject to auto moderation, or is giving likes now something that can get you moderated? 

44 minutes ago, gaius said:

are individual threads subject to auto moderation

Yes, that's what's happening here. Given current events involving the US president, we implemented this at the thread level to ensure that political discussions remain in the Politics forum.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, gaius said:

For some reason in one particular thread, the main Coronavirus thread in the Covid forum, it's saying my content is moderated and will need to be approved. But nowhere else I can tell. And I haven't posted in there for days that I can remember.

That's something I haven't seen before. Is the forum software messing with me, are individual threads subject to auto moderation, or is giving likes now something that can get you moderated? 

Me too.

I have a new phone and the forums come up with pictures for each forum which is annoying.  My laptop still has just the list of forums with no pictures.  Any ideas on how I get rid of the pictures?

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2020 at 11:30 AM, Paul said:

Our developers are aware of the issue and we think we've identified the root cause of this bug. A fix is in the works, though we don't have a timeline for when it will be ready. In the interim, if you don't clear cookies, it should remember your preference as a workaround.

Just wanted to give an update. Now when I click to remove the photos and get the page back to how it was so it is easier to navigate it loads an ad that blurs the rest of the page that requires hitting an x on top to close it. When I first saw that I thought I had gotten a virus. 

Also, just logging in now takes longer than it used to before the update. To me things seem to be a lot worse on the page now. 

• Like 1