Glad to see life is almost back to normal, but how?

Quite a few places in the UK are still under local lockdowns due to the emergence of clusters of infection.
Also the number of new cases has risen again to June levels.

• Sad 1
  • Author
21 hours ago, QuietRiot said:

From what I've been reading...there are talks of how a portion of the population will be immune or build immunity to it....that the virus will still be around...but, it'll go from pandemic mode, to more so epidemic outbreak at the community level. This explains why we see resurgences in areas where the numbers were once low. I'm sure even New York will have it's bout or resurgences....and..don't forget the seasonal effects.  It was a cake walk in the summer, come Winter time, we'll probably be likely seeing numbers sky rocket in the colder months.

Outbreaks will be more spotty. More  here and there as oppose to all at once. Don't be surprised come cold weather (winter) that you'll see numbers spike.  

The caveat there is, just wear a mask and social distance. AMC theaters are opening back up again with these guidelines. Of course you'll have those unbelieving types crowding establishments, maskless, cramped in like sardines like I saw with the "moms gathering after dropping their kids off as school" gathering. Blows my mind when those city businesses pushed for mask mandates on the Mayor...then I see THAT happen?

That makes it going to epidemic since now it seems like just clusters and pop ups. I wouldn't go to a theatre, but I'm sure it will be fine like everything else that reopened.

Yes masks are clearly the answer, it seems like as long as you even have a mask you're safe. I saw like 10 people clustered together outside were just holding their mask, some below the nose, like 2 had it on correctly. They were right on top of each other. I just see so many people having their masks around their chins, nose out, so not sure of masks matter outside. 

I feel at this point being outside is back to normal and especially if you have a mask. I guess even if you're close to someone the particles just fly away. 

• Author
21 hours ago, basil67 said:

If they were wrong, how do you explain your death toll?

I honestly think more than half were 60+ and also had underlying conditions, nursing homes, minorities, also they didn't know how to treat people and put them on ventilators too soon and that killed people. 

I think probably 30% percent were young and healthy if that high. Not saying it's not tragic and scary, but so is life. I hated when people compared the virus to car accidents and other diseases, but honestly it looks like the the same risk percentage of getting seriously ill and dying from this if you're in good health. There was quite a few 100+ year olds who made a full recovery.

It's scary you don't know how this will hit you, but honestly you just have to look at it like another risk. I can't stay home forever and hide.

Things do seem better, people are out they were my ginny pigs. It's not like hospitals are overwhelmed and I hear someone I know has it all the time.

• Author
21 hours ago, basil67 said:

If they were wrong, how do you explain your death toll?they're wrong 

They're just wrong about how contagious this virus was. I understand it's a new virus they didn't know. Touching surfaces is not a risk anymore, and clearly being outside and even inside just being apart. 

Most of America has gone back to normal at least for everyday life. I know big events and crowds aren't as frequent but they happen.

I guess people could be sick at home and didn't get tested, testing is messed up. At least they're not in hospitals. 

The news barely reports about the virus anymore.

Edited by Spring1234
CaliforniaGirl
22 hours ago, Spring1234 said:

Watching General Hospital the soap opera today. They're back filming as well as the other soaps and Christmas movies have been filming for months, I don't get it. How can these shows film and have no outbreaks??? I know they have precautions, but still if this virus is soooo contagious i thought outbreaks are inevitable.

I don't think this virus makes any sense. I'm going on vacation this week to my shore town. I just don't think it's as contagious as they say or used to say. I can't keep staying at home when everyone is everywhere. I'll wear a mask, stay out of crowds etc. 

I just think they should say they were wrong about the contagiousness of this virus. Like they should update people on what's safe, well never mind I guess everyone can surmise it's pretty safe to go back to life based on everyone everywhere. 

Again no crowds, however did anyone see the RNC tonight, I'm sure they'll all be fine. How could that be though, no masks, distancing, thousands chanting 4 more years. 

It's ridiculous..

Okay, okay, we get it. You don't believe covid is real.

You're allowed to go out...you want to go out...so go out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
CaliforniaGirl

For sure not normal here, but I'm in Los Angeles County. We're never normal anyway. 😃

We're in distance learning and we hope to be moving along to a hybrid model but God knows when. I don't even remember any more what it felt like to just get up and go, go to parties, he on school campus, shake hands with someone. It's almost like all of that happened in a dream.

I'm sorry. Just feeling a little down tonight.

• Like 3
CaliforniaGirl
10 minutes ago, Spring1234 said:

They're just wrong about how contagious this virus was. I understand it's a new virus they didn't know. Touching surfaces is not a risk anymore, and clearly being outside and even inside just being apart. 

Most of America has gone back to normal at least for everyday life. I know big events and crowds aren't as frequent but they happen.

I guess people could be sick at home and didn't get tested, testing is messed up. At least they're not in hospitals. 

The news barely reports about the virus anymore.

Oh my God. 

So just go out!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
15 hours ago, QuietRiot said:

I am starting to wonder if the OP is "lawyering" his way to possibly join in the fray of people getting back out there to "normalcy" not that I entirely fault him / her for it, but I can see people who have been a good boy/gal since March getting "the itch" especially now that infected people seem to recover after a time and not attached to ventilators as much (hospitalized). I think some that have been good this entire time are trying to read the articles, see people out and about...unmasked even...and figure "F-it...I'll join in too!"

Hell, even I'm considering joining a couple of friends for a gathering, (masks on) or even go on a date at this point....but, meet halfway by not joining crowds of people doing live music. If anything, I'll have one-on-one meetings with   individuals.

I think Thanksgiving through Christmas is when people who have been good the entire year will pretend the virus doesn't exist and partake in huge family gatherings and with friends during the holidays.

People , who played nice this entire time will feel it's time to let it go, honestly.

I absolutely love your post and completely agree! 

Haha I am lawyering because you see everyone on social media, news, just when taking walks, driving, out and about. Our beaches are packed, everywhere is. There are cases and deaths, but considering how many people there are in my state of PA it's not that bad for a supposedly contagious deadly virus when life has mainly returned to normal. 

Even schools are remaining opened!

I have barely left the house since March. This virus scares me and i just could see catching it. I am still worried, but like you wrote it comes a point where you're like f***it, it's been 6 months, I miss living!

I'm not saying I'll go to some crowded place, but there are things to do safely. 

Dating is still a bit risky to me because you have people that don't even believe there is a virus and then you're really with them no distance or mask. Obviously people are dating, a friend never stopped. I think I'll hold off with that. 

Definitely going to get together with friends again, going away this week to my shore town with family that I live with. When I get home I will go mini golf, outdoor dining now the weather is cooler, maybe indoor dining there are a few restaurants that are never busy, go into the city, malls, walks, visit family indoor and just go back to somewhat normal.

I have gone to the lake with family and friends, my aunt's pool with fam and friends, mall, stores. This vacation will be the first major thing I've done since March. Staying in a hotel, boardwalk, beach, pool etc. I will be smart about it and wear a mask, distance, go off times to avoid crowds. This is a big step for me.

Again I'm still concerned, I mentioned indoor dining and my mom snapped at me saying I'm over it and she couldn't believe it because I was SOOO worried in March-June. I guess I've just seen the crowds, reopening of everything and things seem okay. Like I never thought things could go back to this normal so fast. I just couldn't see how anyone could be with anyone when this is so contagious. I never thought I could go on vacation this summer and everything be opened! 

Of course Thanksgiving and Christmas families and friends will get together and I'm sure it will be fine. 

It's not that I let it go, just realized there are things you can safely do and you just see literally everyone everywhere, like sometimes I think WTF am I still doing home??

Edited by Spring1234
  • Author
13 minutes ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

Okay, okay, we get it. You don't believe covid is real.

You're allowed to go out...you want to go out...so go out.

Of course I believe it's real, I just question the contagious of it. You have to wonder how can everywhere i named operate even with precautions when there's a deadly contagious virus.

I just feel like it was overblown a bit, of course it is serious, but I think indoor with crowds is the high risk situation. Experts made you think touching your cereal box will kill you or talking to a neighbor over the fence, they like scared the crap out of everyone! 

People went and lived and most of those people that I called dumb, crazy, selfish, reckless, stupid, risk takers that don't care about their life, have been living their lives and having a great summer. I don't know how they did it and what made them so sure they wouldn't catch this and get sick and die. I still wonder about these people in crowds, but they're fine mainly. 

Don't you agree it's not as contagious as they said??

CaliforniaGirl
3 minutes ago, Spring1234 said:

Of course I believe it's real, I just question the contagious of it. You have to wonder how can everywhere i named operate even with precautions when there's a deadly contagious virus.

I just feel like it was overblown a bit, of course it is serious, but I think indoor with crowds is the high risk situation. Experts made you think touching your cereal box will kill you or talking to a neighbor over the fence, they like scared the crap out of everyone! 

People went and lived and most of those people that I called dumb, crazy, selfish, reckless, stupid, risk takers that don't care about their life, have been living their lives and having a great summer. I don't know how they did it and what made them so sure they wouldn't catch this and get sick and die. I still wonder about these people in crowds, but they're fine mainly. 

Don't you agree it's not as contagious as they said??

No, I don't agree, but who cares? You need to make your own decision. You think it's overblown and you want to go out. Go. Who's stopping you? Enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
25 minutes ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

For sure not normal here, but I'm in Los Angeles County. We're never normal anyway. 😃

We're in distance learning and we hope to be moving along to a hybrid model but God knows when. I don't even remember any more what it felt like to just get up and go, go to parties, he on school campus, shake hands with someone. It's almost like all of that happened in a dream.

I'm sorry. Just feeling a little down tonight.

We're distance learning here too. I know it's hard. I used to go on cruises all the time, big charity events with hundreds of people, I was in the city with friends all the time at bars, clubs, always went out to dinner, I owned a speed dating business and had events all week, I took business trips all the time and flew around the country, I had big family get togethers, festivals and parties. It's hard to believe what's happened and that seems like a lifetime ago and we're living in an alternative reality and someday we'll wake up and it will all be a dream

This pandemic has literally taken over my life. It's amazing how some people haven't been affected by this. My friend has continued to work as a secretary, gone out to dinner, got take out, taken walks with friends and seen them , go to stores, beach, this hasn't impacted her life at all. This is what she always did. She doesn't watch news and barely knew the seriousness of it. When restaurants were closed she would go to dinner parties, take out, she always just jogged, doesn't go to the hair salon anyway. Nothing of her daily life was altered. 

Edited by Spring1234
  • Author
4 minutes ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

No, I don't agree, but who cares? You need to make your own decision. You think it's overblown and you want to go out. Go. Who's stopping you? Enjoy.

I guess I just wanted to see why others thought places can remain reopen without any outbreaks? Like seriously the precautions are barely anything, hand washing is not an answer, you get it through particles in the air, temp checks are stupid because plenty of people have it without a temp, people dont wear their masks correctly and distancing isn't always perfect, How could places operate everyday if it was so contagious? 

CaliforniaGirl
2 minutes ago, Spring1234 said:

We're distance learning here too. I know it's hard. I used to go on cruises all the time, big charity events with hundreds of people, I was in the city with friends all the time at bars, clubs, always went out to dinner, I owned a speed dating business and had events all week, I took business trips all the time and flew around the country, I had big family get togethers, festivals and parties. It's hard to believe what's happened and that seems like a lifetime ago and we're living in an alternative reality and someday we'll wake up and it will all be a dream

This pandemic has literally taken over my life. It's amazing how some people haven't been affected by this. My friend has continued to work as a secretary, gone out to dinner, got take out, taken walks with friends and seen them , go to stores, beach, this hasn't impacted her life at all. This is what she always did. She doesn't watch news and barely knew the seriousness of it. When restaurants were closed she would go to dinner parties, take out, she always just jogged, doesn't go to the hair salon anyway. Nothing of her daily life was altered. 

I don't know a single person who hasn't been impacted at all. I do have a lot of family in NEPA. Are you really rural? I don't know anybody in PA who's this cavalier about it. But perhaps it's different in different areas of PA. I don't know. Anyway, enjoy and good health to you.

• Author
15 hours ago, clia said:

Well, yeah.  People aren't going to stay in their houses all year, especially when they look at the current stats and start running the math for themselves.  Until this thread, I really hadn't realized that people who aren't in high risk categories were still living under lockdown.  Where I am traffic is nearly back to normal, restaurants are packed, people are out and about, etc.  

Yes plenty of people are still home. I know people that literally haven't stepped foot out their door since March and they're in their 20's. 

Exactly life is back to normal, but how when there's still a deadly contagious virus on the loose? Makes you wonder is it so contagious, is it dying out possibly??

• Author
5 minutes ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

I don't know a single person who hasn't been impacted at all. I do have a lot of family in NEPA. Are you really rural? I don't know anybody in PA who's this cavalier about it. But perhaps it's different in different areas of PA. I don't know. Anyway, enjoy and good health to you.

Plenty of people I know haven't been truly impacted like maybe they can't do indoor dining but they work, see friends, outdoor bars, outdoor dining, beach. 

I'm 20 minutes outside the city, NE Philly. Not rural at all. Nobody cares here. Like everywhere is packed.

Are places packed in Cali? How are things where you are?

Thank you and same to you ❤

On 8/23/2020 at 5:48 PM, QuietRiot said:

What's interesting, theaters have announced they are opening up again...provided Covid protocols are in place...so...no worries? 

Where I am, they are opening. But also, they can only have 10 people in an entire theater. And they have to wear masks unless they are eating or drinking. Are they even able to make rent if they only have 10 people per showing? (If so, they sure have been over-charging for years and years!)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Spring1234 said:

Makes you wonder is it so contagious, is it dying out possibly??

YOU want to believe this but there is actually no scientific proof that this is the case.
Yes some places seem to have little virus around at the moment, but when it is around and people are careless, then people naturally get infected.
That is how it works.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Spring1234 said:

I just see so many people having their masks around their chins, nose out, so not sure of masks matter outside. 

I think it depends on where you are outside. If you use a bike trail to walk, run, jog of bike, the heavy breathing can spew a lot of particles in the air as you move along. People shedding the virus can pass it onto those they pass by or linger in their wake.

3 hours ago, Spring1234 said:

Makes you wonder is it so contagious, is it dying out possibly??

Viruses don’t just die out. It is super contagious, but that can be mitigated by taking precautions. Stay six feet away from others, wear a mask, if you’re feeling sick, stay home. Also treatments are getting better. Viruses do evolve, and usually to less lethal strains. But that takes  time. If that happens it could just be another virus that we deal with, like the flu, but we’re not at the point yet.

You can go out. Wear a mask. Physical distance. Wash your hands. And chances are, if you’re already healthy, if you do catch it, you probably won’t die.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Weezy1973 said:

Viruses don’t just die out. It is super contagious, but that can be mitigated by taking precautions. Stay six feet away from others, wear a mask, if you’re feeling sick, stay home. Also treatments are getting better. Viruses do evolve, and usually to less lethal strains. But that takes  time. If that happens it could just be another virus that we deal with, like the flu, but we’re not at the point yet.

You can go out. Wear a mask. Physical distance. Wash your hands. And chances are, if you’re already healthy, if you do catch it, you probably won’t die.

You could say this virus is the equivalent to the viruses Europeans brought to the states when the indigenous peoples got infected with what we brought over.  Same with the Aztecs and other south american counterparts....ie  small pox.

Don't forget Easter Island

Those viruses were also "novel" to the Native Americans, so it had to be passed from one to the other to build immunity.

• Author

Okay maybe they don't die out, but I think people that died were in nursing homes. I think it's turned into just another virus, like people realize healthy people don't die from it and even if you do catch it you might not even know it.

Like another poster said that restaurant worker was asymptomatic and didn't wear a mask and interacted inside with like 30 people, nobody caught it. Doug Pederson the coach of the Eagles was asymptomatic nobody else tested positive. I just can't see it being as contagious anymore. If this was still a serious issue people would still be lockdown. I think there's a lot we don't know obviously and one day they'll find out why some people got sick or sicker than others, how it truly spreads etc.

Plenty outbreaks in the UK. In one UK city the pubs opened up. One infected guy went on a pub crawl one night and infected people in 20 pubs in the city plus golf courses and restaurants close by.
I really do not see this contagiousness of the virus lessening at all, France is seeing an exponential rise in cases.. and the UK is preparing for a second wave in the winter...
If you are not in a high risk group and are not mixing with high risk friends and relatives then just go out.
There is no need to make up stuff about the virus to justify it.

• Like 1

I wonder why people over 65 are high risk, as I know some rather active and in-shape seniors that have a clean bill of health, including some people close to me.

10 minutes ago, QuietRiot said:

I wonder why people over 65 are high risk, as I know some rather active and in-shape seniors that have a clean bill of health, including some people close to me.

It is about immunity.
Being unhealthy puts a person at greater risk but  being active and in shape is not that protective.
Their immune system is still old...

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, elaine567 said:

It is about immunity.
Being unhealthy puts a person at greater risk but  being active and in shape is not that protective.
Their immune system is still old...

You know, I had read there will be NO true immunity unless you take the vaccine, but I have this one friend that wouldn't take that vaccine...even if you put a gun to her had (her words)...said something she had a bad experience with her son almost having died from a previous vaccination in the past of sorts.