What can I do to strengthen my knees?

My knees have been really sore from jogging and the doctor's advice is stop jogging or cut it down.  I tried cutting it down, but I feel I am not getting enough cardio exercise as a result and feel crappy.  I would like to get more cardio exercise, but is there anything I can do to get it, that doesn't involve putting strain on the knees, especially since I am bored and do not have much to do in these covid times?

Edited by ironpony

I think you're fairly young, so this might sound odd, but maybe try something like Osteo -Biflex (Glucosamine/Chondroitin).  I started having knee pain in my early 30s and that took care of it for me.  My issue was crunchy cartilage.  

Compression knee wraps might also help if its more of a tendon/ligament thing.  And wearing really good running shoes designed to cushion the impact.   

Same here!  I'm not a runner and have been trying a beginner program - but my knee broke down after just three sessions.  I'm hobbling around the house at present.  Anyway I did a phone consult with my son's exercise physio this morning and he said it's really common for runners.  He gave me a heap of exercises to help my knee recover and also strengthen muscles around my groin.   He didn't say anything about avoiding running in future.  

So my advice is to work with an exercise physio (not a regular massage type physio) to help you recover from injury and strengthen for future running.

Edited by basil67
  • Author

Oh okay thanks.  Is there a way in the meantime while I am recovering to get good cardio exercise without running, while my knees heal?

1 minute ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay thanks.  Is there a way in the meantime while I am recovering to get good cardio exercise without running, while my knees heal?

😉 

4 hours ago, ironpony said:

Are you able to access a pool?   

• Author

Not in these covid times, all the pools are closed unfortunately.  However, I've tried the bike, but all it does is work out my legs.  I'm not getting a cardio workout from the bike.  Am I doing something wrong?  I've tried riding in the lowest gear, while peddling fast, and the highest gear fast, but still not cardio workout, and it's all leg workout.

• Author

Well I want to find out how to fix the problem, with my knees but is this possible if no one is willing to see me because of covid?  Is it possible to figure out the problem myself?

Well the first thing is you need to figure out what sort of knee issue you have going on. It probably is runner's knee. Rest and ice is really the only thing you can do to rehab it. As far as preventing it from happening in the future...

1. I suggest squats. Ideally weighted back squats. Like with a barbell if possible. That will build up your muscle and take some of the strain off of your knee. I know that did wonders for my runners knee.  It takes a while so don't expect overnight results. 

2. you might want to visit a high-end running store and make sure you are paired up with the right shoes and foot beds. That can cause a real issue. 

Best of luck!

Mrin

• Like 1
On 5/12/2020 at 6:03 PM, ironpony said:

Not in these covid times, all the pools are closed unfortunately.  However, I've tried the bike, but all it does is work out my legs.  I'm not getting a cardio workout from the bike.  Am I doing something wrong?  I've tried riding in the lowest gear, while peddling fast, and the highest gear fast, but still not cardio workout, and it's all leg workout.

You’re meant in theory to do high intensity spurts... so like 2 mins of furious, everything you’ve got speed, and then a minute at 40% ....should be enough to get your heart rate up

• Author

Oh okay thanks.  Could I be biking in the wrong gear then if I heart is not getting as worked out, compared to jogging?

On 5/13/2020 at 3:03 AM, ironpony said:

Incorporate hills into your ride.

• Author

Oh okay thanks.  I actually was doing this but maybe the hills do not go high enough?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 2:13 AM, ironpony said:

Oh okay thanks.  Could I be biking in the wrong gear then if I heart is not getting as worked out, compared to jogging?

Normally when you do ‘sprints’ you’d turn the gear right up as well (however not so high you can’t keep a rhythm)... might not work your heart as much as jogging because that’s full body but you should defo still get your heart rate considerably up and you should be out of breath!

Just adjust it to suit.. so sprint for longer if it feels too easy.

Do a search on You Tube for "chair workouts" or "non weight bearing workouts."  When I hurt my ankle last year, I found a lot of them and some were quite good!  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Well there is one thing I noticed.  My knees hurt more after I go on the treadmill, compared to jogging outside when they hurt less.  Does this sound normal, or is it strange that they would hurt less from jogging outside?  However, jogging outside is tough because it rains a lot where I live, and it just makes a lot less fun if you are trying to jog for an hour, when you are soaking wet.

Hello.

You can try 'Orange Triad' multivitamin with joint support, from Bodybuilding .com or GNC. Take as directed, and in about a week or two you should feel a reduction in knee pain. It does indeed work really well. 

I have a friend who takes it for hip pain, really helps her. Probably the best multivitamin in BB. Will keep your joints lubricated. Like others have said: get new shoes designed to better fit running. Stretch more. If you do squats, to strength your legs, get squat shoes ( helps a ton here ). Any flat shoe for this exercise will help. 

Again, definitely look into Orange Triad. I take it daily. 

simpycurious

Be careful with your knees as you get older...I am talking early 30s especially if you have been a very active athlete for years.  There are all sorts of issues that can arise but basically it's wear and tear.  Running (high impact) strains your knees so rotating or minimizing impact will help you in the long run.  Like people have mentioned, swimming, riding a bike, or even brisk walking may help you.  I feel it as well but mine is due to lots of wear and tear.  Also, ankles and hips are not immune to runners pain. 

• Sad 1

How often do you neglect stretching before running? if you do at all.

There's a plethora of leg-based exercises to help reduce risk of injury when you're putting a lot of strain on them via long-term running/cardio. These are of which do not require any equipment.

• Plyometric lunges
  • Straight-leg calf raise
  • Bent-knee calf raise
  • Eccentric calf raise
  • Farmer's walk (toe rise or widened stance)
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Yeah I stretch before I got but still experience wear and tear on the knees, and it's feeling worse lately.  I keep trying biking.  Swimming is not an option cause the pools are closed because of covid now.

I've tried biking but I'm not getting near as much of a work out compared to running.   When I ran I got such a cardio workout and I was breathing really hard after my jogging because of it.  When I bike, I do not get near as much of a cardio workout, with not heavy breathing at all hardly, even in the lowest gear.  My legs get a good work out but not the heart.  How do I work out the heart just as good as jogging, if the bike isn't doing it?

Interstellar

you didn’t give us many details but how’s your weight? you’ll need to cut calories to get your weight down in order to have less pressure on your knees when you run.

but in the meantime, body weight squats, and standing lunges should do the trick. put some headphones on and do it for 60 mins. everyday, you can always mix it with some upper body like pushups. you can do the squats with bands around your legs. I see a lot of Victoria’s Secret models do it with bands because it helps with flexibility and injury prevention although with body weight squats you really don’t have to worry about it. but they’re also on multimillion dollar contracts so they can’t be injured even for a tiny bit.

when I was young and neighborhood gyms weren’t as common back then I mainly did jumping jacks while watching tv but that may not be best for you. 

but the biggest thing really is to be in a calorie deficit. start cutting back on carbs and increasing your protein intake.

Edited by Interstellar

I'm a personal trainer, and have had several clients make real improvements with knee issues and evety time they needed to build muscle around the knees, expecially the quads (big muscles at front of thighs).

This has helped those with injuries, weaknesses, arthritis, old age etc.

As MRIN here suggested the squat movement is the things. That said, if you are in pain, or weak, you won't be able to do a proper or weighted squat, so start with sitting down on a chair, as slowly as you can. Be careful to keep everything in line: parallel legs and feet, knees staying behind ankles, and in line with hips and ankles. Look up videos on correct squat form (eg YouTube) and this will give you the pointers to help. You knees should never go sharper than 90 degrees (substantially less if pain).

There are different ways to do this movement: eg sitting on chair, squat exercises, gym leg extension machines, resistance bands, but the fundamental is the same: ie. leg extensions.

The crucial thing is to go only TO the pain, never THROUGH or INTO the pain. 

One more thing, if you are over weight this will strain your knees so always pay attention to weight loss first if necessary.

Good luck.