How is COVID-19 controlled until a vaccine is found?

simpycurious

I just don't see much social distancing especially at Private places.  Country clubs, private gated communities, lake houses, and private beaches.  

poppyfields
15 hours ago, simpycurious said:

I think that I discovered that it does NOT live a mile off shore on a boat with a single person.  That might not be new news but it's good news.

Hey simp, thnx for joining discussion!

How did you discover this?  

Curious minds and all that. ;)

Edited by poppyfields
19 hours ago, poppyfields said:

Oh trust me, I know quite well the difference between the flu and corona, that wasn't my point.

My point was that does the government have the right to intervene on a free society and impose restrictions on a free society that are affecting that free society in such a profoundly negative and detrimental way? 

I just don't know, but it's worth at least asking the question, no? 

In times of war, restrictions are imposed upon citizens of free societies.  Restrictions that are affecting the citizens in a "profoundly negative and detrimental way."  Also in times of terrorism.

As strongly as you feel that the restrictions are a bad thing for you and your society,  there is a very big chance that you don't have a concept of how negative and detrimental letting the virus "wash" over our population unhindered would have been.  

We have succeeded in "flattening the curve" for the time being.  We are now holding steady at on average 30,000 new cases per day and 2,000 new deaths per day.  4 weeks ago, March 19, we had 56 deaths a day and to me, anyway, that was alarming.  On 3/19 we had 206 deaths total, - FOUR WEEKS LATER, today, we so far have 39,103 

This leveling off is occurring at the PEAK of the ascending "curve" and we have not started to descend as of now; we are, however, getting used to the idea of losing 2,000 people a day to a new disease.  

I am no expert but there is little doubt that our efforts with shutdowns etc have contributed to the fact that we are not increasing cases and deaths on an exponential level like we were in the past 4 weeks.  There is no reason to believe that we won't have another similar spike if we just go back to normal.  "Herd immunity" takes more time than this.  It's not in play.

• Like 2

I haven't heard about masks being mandatory except in NYC.   Where else are they required now?  My City doesn't mandate them, but suggests they be worn when social distancing is difficult (like grocery stores).  I would say that about 60% of the people here follow that suggestion.  I'm in the midwest and live in a large city, but my state and the neighboring one close by have very large rural areas.    

Apparently I'm not very handy because my homemade masks weren't very successful at staying on, my face without smothering me.  Fortunately I was able to get some through Amazon.   

10 minutes ago, elaine567 said:

@Redhead14
Does your State provide facemasks or are they readily available to buy?

No, not pre-made.  Bandanas around the nose and mouth are acceptable.  Scarves, etc.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, FMW said:

I haven't heard about masks being mandatory except in NYC.   Where else are they required now?  My City doesn't mandate them, but suggests they be worn when social distancing is difficult (like grocery stores).  I would say that about 60% of the people here follow that suggestion.  I'm in the midwest and live in a large city, but my state and the neighboring one close by have very large rural areas.    

Apparently I'm not very handy because my homemade masks weren't very successful at staying on, my face without smothering me.  Fortunately I was able to get some through Amazon.   

New Jersey requires them.  They can be bandanas or scarves.  Pretty much anything you can use to cover nose and mouth.

19 hours ago, Redhead14 said:

Nope, it only takes a few people to decide to do whatever the F they want  which will guarantee that this virus continues to circulate and kill more people and take away the freedom of the older, yet still active/productive people who worked their whole lives only to become prisoners in their own homes and isolated indefinitely.  Sad indeed. 

No kidding.   We might as well just cease having medical advancements of all kinds, since folks who have "underlying conditions" like heart disease and cancer are the least likely to survive the coronavirus.  People who would have died from their heart attack or cancer 10 years ago can now survive due to these advancements. Now they can die from COVID-19 , but  I want to go to the beach with my gun and no damn libtards are gonna stop me.

Seriously, I think that most of those Americans who feel that it's not a problem if old, sick or weak people die so they can exercise their Constitutional freedoms every day might feel differently if their loved one - even a relatively young one, because cancer is not confined to the elderly - cannot survive because Americans were unwilling to let go of what they want for another month or even two.

It's a rich country.  We can survive a huge economic catastrophe.  

• Like 1

Thanks Redhead.  I've started limiting how much I'm reading on the Pandemic right now, it gets overwhelming at times and makes it hard to keep a positive outlook.

• Like 1
princessaurora

There is no easy solution to this. If you drop the lockdown the hospitals will get overwhelmed again and more people will die. If businesses stay closed for months, they will never come back. Where I live there are still some people who just don't care. They still won't stay six feet apart and will go to work with the virus until work notices their symptoms and makes them leave. This happened to a coffee shop in my town recently. She was riddled with fever and dripping sweat when her boss finally made her go home and now the whole place has been shut down for 2 weeks so her coworkers and family can self quarantine. Our 40 something termite guy came by to inspect the house the other day and his attitute was "i'm not 60 so i'm not worried about it. "People like this are the problem. They just don't give a crap about others and for that reason this will drag on and on.  So I've  already made my decision. Even if everything reopens, I will still avoid eating in restaurants, going to the movies, and any other place with large crowds.  Other than the grocery store every few weeks, I go to work and home. I have an essential job as a banker and I can tell you in our area people are dying young and old because many of our customer are family members of theirs and we've lost some customers to this as well.  Our deaths here range from ages 30-102 and some of the younger ones did not have preexisting conditions. You never know how this is going to effect you. I have an uncle in his 80's who is handling it at home and he's had cancer twice. I have a cousin who is in his 30's  with well controlled type 2 diabetes , but he's hospitalized and on oxygen .  I have 2 young children, parents in their 70's, and my husband is a type 2 diabetic. I will not risk my life or theirs. 

• Like 2
simpycurious
24 minutes ago, poppyfields said:

Hey simp, thnx for joining discussion!

How did you discover this?  

Curious minds and all that. ;)

How curious?

Well, it was a trial and error type scenario.  My theory is that the virus cannot reach someone fishing offshore.  More testing is needed of course

• Like 1
poppyfields
24 minutes ago, Redhead14 said:

No, not pre-made.  Bandanas around the nose and mouth are acceptable.  Scarves, etc.

In CA, or at least my city, wearing face masks is "required" for essential workers, and "encouraged" for others while out in public but not mandatory. Most folks are wearing them though.

However, yesterday I went to the market and a worker was outside the store telling customers they cannot enter without a mask. 

He had a box that store provided and was handing them out to those without one.

I don't mean to complain about wearing them, but they are so uncomfortable for me, I find it difficult to breathe.

But realize it's for my good and others so I wear.

Has anyone else experienced that?  A bit of difficulty breathing?  

I feel like I'm suffocating a bit, strange sensation but I suffer from a bit of claustrophobia so perhaps that's why.  :(

Edited by poppyfields
  • Sad 1

It doesn't have to be very tight.  Maybe loosen it up if you are making it tight.  But, yes, there could be a psychological effect to it for you.  Some people find that if they can force themselves to do something they have an aversion to for a period of time, they can overcome it.  Try wearing it for say, 10 minutes a day at home.  Do that for a few days and then keep it on a little longer for another few days, say 5 minutes and gradually build up your tolerance.  It is likely that we will need to be doing this for quite some time even after they open things back up so it would behoove you to try to get more comfortable with it.  You should also take a deep breath while wearing it every so often so as to remind your mind that you are able to breath freely.  It's a Jedi mind trick :)

Edited by Redhead14
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
thefooloftheyear
30 minutes ago, NuevoYorko said:

I am no expert but there is little doubt that our efforts with shutdowns etc have contributed to the fact that we are not increasing cases and deaths on an exponential level like we were in the past 4 weeks.  There is no reason to believe that we won't have another similar spike if we just go back to normal.  "Herd immunity" takes more time than this.  It's not in play.

It's good to clarify that you aren't an expert here and neither am I...

But you do also have to recognize that for one, we really don't know how "deadly" this virus is because we don't have a handle on the denominator.(the amount of people exposed/infected and cured without recognition)….That number can be(and probably is) enormous....That would cause the actual death rate to be substantially less than it is now...Not to mention the fact that the numerator here has deliberately been inflated at the request of the CDC....

And the seasonal flu has a vaccine, yet still killed like double the amount that this one has in one year......with a vaccine...

Another thing....

Seems as though no one is allowed to visit family in nursing homes and care facilities...If I am wrong here, please correct me..Within the last decade, I have had the misfortune of losing several of my aunts and uncles...One thing is certain...In ALL cases, there wasn't a single event that ended their life...They "expired" due to losing the will to live...Now...imagine being in a home...old and feeble...without your family there to uplift you and give you a reason to live...There is no doubt in my mind that these restrictions, whether justified or not caused untold many lives to be lost in the nursing homes and care facilities.....But then they are only counting these as deaths from the virus...Its a sad scenario and I only hope perhaps people rethink how they decide to treat their elders moving forward...

It is what it is at this point...and I am complying to the restrictions...But to discount all aspects here and blindly follow directives without question isn't the right approach either...Time will be the determining factor here..

TFY

• Like 1

I agree with the masks making it hard to breathe, although for me I think it's largely psychological.  I'm always amazed when I'm out on my walks how man runners are wearing them. 

I don't wear a mask when I'm out walking but I make sure and stay well away from others, frequently changing sides of the street for the sidewalk or even making brief forays into the bike lanes when necessary to keep proper distance.  It seems the bikers around here are sticking to specific areas so the lanes are almost always empty, and the automobile traffic is also light so the bikes use the regular car lanes when they are out. 

poppyfields
8 minutes ago, Redhead14 said:

It doesn't have to be very tight.  Maybe loosen it up if you are making it tight.  But, yes, there could be a psychological effect to it for you.  Some people find that if they can force themselves to do something they have an aversion to for a period of time, they can overcome it.  

Thank you Redhead, your post was helpful!! 

Re above quote, oh it's super loose, still same suffocating feeling so must be somewhat psychological.

I will take your advice, thx again. :)

simpycurious
24 minutes ago, poppyfields said:

In CA, or at least my city, wearing face masks is "required" for essential workers, and "encouraged" for others while out in public but not mandatory. Most folks are wearing them though.

However, yesterday I went to the market and a worker was outside the store telling customers they cannot enter without a mask. 

He had a box that store provided and was handing them out to those without one.

I don't mean to complain about wearing them, but they are so uncomfortable for me, I find it difficult to breathe.

But realize it's for my good and others so I wear.

Has anyone else experienced that?  A bit of difficulty breathing?  

I feel like I'm suffocating a bit, strange sensation but I suffer from a bit of claustrophobia so perhaps that's why.  :(

I have not worn a mask up to this point so I am probably not the best one to weigh in on this but it is SO STRANGE to see people wearing them.  I get that they are needed but just so strange to see.  I can definitely see they could be claustrophobic.  You need a NICE vacation I do believe.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, thefooloftheyear said:

I only hope perhaps people rethink how they decide to treat their elders moving forward...

Seems to me there is definitely a feeling that the high death rate in the elderly and sick is somehow acceptable. Elderly vs the economy to some is a no brainer - economy wins every time.
Many it seems would be quite happy to see them shut away so that "normal" life can continue for the young and fit.
My feeling is that some in long term lockdown as is mooted by some, as a "solution" to the virus will simply be "forgotten" as the time ticks by and life goes on without them...

Kitty Tantrum
6 hours ago, Redhead14 said:

Your choice to exposure yourself, your body and possibly, even likely in lots of areas, be a carrier of a disease that is deadly to many and has severe consequences in most, makes you a possible murderer

It takes a leap of epic proportions to compare a HEALTHY UNINFECTED INDIVIDUAL who chooses not to undergo a controversial medical procedure which MIGHT help prevent the spread of an illness IF they are at some point exposed to it... (and which is known in literally all cases to carry the risk of side effects including death)

With someone who is infected and knows they are infected and chooses to willingly and knowingly expose others.

Again, my body, my choice.

"Carrying this pregnancy to term could kill me." --- perfectly acceptable justification for absolute no-questions-asked defense of "bodily autonomy"???

"Getting this vaccine could kill me." --- deranged and unacceptable justification for literally choosing to be a murderer???

BUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ❤️

Edited by Kitty Tantrum

This is all still an unknown.  People who are asymptomatic and without widespread testing they'll keep spreading the virus.  People who have recovered are still testing positive 14 days and more out.  Are they still contagious?  Yeah, until a vaccine is available there's still significant risk out there.

6 hours ago, simpycurious said:

I just don't see much social distancing especially at Private places.  Country clubs, private gated communities, lake houses, and private beaches.  

You know what we discovered playing golf in single carts?  It's about a half hour faster.  Now all they need to come up with is single carts.  Build one that just fits one golfer.  Solves the slow play problem. 😉  Three of us played in less that 3 hours the other day.  Now we're very fast golfers, but it does speed up play.  Everyone goes to their own ball etc..

Also,  golf is built for social distancing.  They have the cups raised also so you don't touch anything.  We have been leaving the flag in anyway since they changed the rules.  Playing golf is much safer that going to the grocery store actually.

thefooloftheyear
1 hour ago, Piddy said:

Also,  golf is built for social distancing.  They have the cups raised also so you don't touch anything.  We have been leaving the flag in anyway since they changed the rules.  Playing golf is much safer that going to the grocery store actually.

Is it safer than people going to a "drive in" church gathering and staying in their own cars?   You wouldn't think so, but the local authorities handed out $500. tickets to people that actually tried to worship ….Peacefully...without leaving their cars...

https://www.wistv.com/2020/04/12/people-ticketed-each-after-attending-greenville-drive-in-church-service/

TFY

• Like 1
Kitty Tantrum

Ahhh, yes - worship is dangerous even without any possible contact with others.

And yet the word from Fauci himself is that meeting up and bumping uglies with strangers from the internet (Tinder, Grindr, etc.) is still A-OKAY under the heading of personal risk assessment.

11 hours ago, thefooloftheyear said:

If it lasts a year or more, which some are proposing,

who? Here in the US? We start our state's phased reopening at the end of the month.

8 hours ago, thefooloftheyear said:

Seems as though no one is allowed to visit family in nursing homes and care facilities...If I am wrong here, please correct me.

The visitors wave through the windows and talk on phone or computer.