4 hours ago, ironpony said:

I've been trying to see one but it's been hard because the psychiatrist office is only open during my work hours and it's been hard to get time off work to see when but I'm trying to figure that out.

You call in, get an appointment and request the necessary time off to go to that appointment if you have to. Psychiatrists often have their office in medical clinics, those will have after hours appointments a few times a week to accomodate people. 

Being afraid to ask for time off to go to a medical apointment is not an option. If you had a suspicious lump somewhere you'd take the time off to see a doctor right? Well this is important, so make it happen.

Edited by Gaeta
  • Like 1
  • Author
51 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

You call in, get an appointment and request the necessary time off to go to that appointment if you have to. Psychiatrists often have their office in medical clinics, those will have after hours appointments a few times a week to accomodate people. 

Being afraid to ask for time off to go to a medical apointment is not an option. If you had a suspicious lump somewhere you'd take the time off to see a doctor right? Well this is important, so make it happen.

Oh I can get time off once, I just thought therapy would be a weekly thing for a while which I could not get. 

But if it's just one appointment I can.

• Author
3 hours ago, smackie9 said:

there are more natural ways to help with sleep and anxiety. Eating bananas, taking St. John's Wort, relaxation breathing exercises before bed, staying off devices at night and read instead, drink warm milk, take a warm bath, take a brisk 10 min walk after dinner, cut out caffeine/alcohol, drink sleepy time tea. 

As for your GF don't discuss much about your treatment from your doctor. Be vague, say you are trying more natural ways to help...throw some things at her, and that should shut her up. 

I can try those.  I do most of my work on a computer for my job though.

5 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Oh I can get time off once, I just thought therapy would be a weekly thing for a while which I could not get. 

But if it's just one appointment I can.

Get that 1 apointment and let the professional decide what you need, then cross that bridge when you get there, but it starts with that first step. 

• Author
7 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

Get that 1 apointment and let the professional decide what you need, then cross that bridge when you get there, but it starts with that first step. 

Ok thanks.  I'll ask my doc to refer me.  Thanks.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ironpony said:

I can try those.  I do most of my work on a computer for my job though.

Need to stay off after dinner and relax before bed. I am on a computer through the day myself BUT when I get home I don't even look at my phone. 

• Author
1 hour ago, smackie9 said:

Need to stay off after dinner and relax before bed. I am on a computer through the day myself BUT when I get home I don't even look at my phone. 

But in my spare time I do a lot of movie editing in the filmmaking community.  My only time to do that is in the evenings and the only way to edit is on a computer.  Is it the blue light that is the problem.

Edited by ironpony
5 hours ago, ironpony said:

But in my spare time I do a lot of movie editing in the filmmaking community.  My only time to do that is in the evenings and the only way to edit is on a computer.  Is it the blue light that is the problem.

This might be part of the problem.  You doing this keeps you up when you shoukd be winding down.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well I want to improve my filmmaking skills but not sure how to do that since it all involves screens though.  I hear is the blue light, so maybe I can just block it out with some really orange glasses or cover my computer screen with layers of CTO gel possibly?

• Author

When it comes to having to wind down before going to bed though, I am not sure what I am suppose do to wind down.  I can't work on my editing projects and get those done, since that involves, looking at a screen, and I cannot exercise since that involves creating more energy within me.  So am I just suppose to sit and stare off into space for two hours and try not to think of anything too much?  Or what do am I suppose to do to wind down, if I cannot concentrate on anything, or cannot do anything physically challening since that gets the blood pumping more?

3 hours ago, ironpony said:

So am I just suppose to sit and stare off into space for two hours and try not to think of anything too much?  Or what do am I suppose to do to wind down, if I cannot concentrate on anything, or cannot do anything physically challening since that gets the blood pumping more?

Read a book.  Watch TV on an actual TV screen (as opposed to on a computer screen right in front of you).  Do a jigsaw.  See your girlfriend.  See friends. Draw.  Learn a musical instrument.  Practice a second language.  Learn some yoga moves which will help you relax into sleep.

Basically, do things which people did before we had internet.  

• Author
3 hours ago, basil67 said:

Read a book.  Watch TV on an actual TV screen (as opposed to on a computer screen right in front of you).  Do a jigsaw.  See your girlfriend.  See friends. Draw.  Learn a musical instrument.  Practice a second language.  Learn some yoga moves which will help you relax into sleep.

Basically, do things which people did before we had internet.  

Oh okay, but how long am I supposed to do these things for though, before bed?  But also, I was told that reading will keep a person up as well since reading requires concentration like a computer, if that's true?  I can try it. 

• Author

I thought that reading or learning an instrument for example is still concentrating on something and not winding down though?

16 hours ago, ironpony said:

Skip a few nights and see. 

6 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay, but how long am I supposed to do these things for though, before bed?  But also, I was told that reading will keep a person up as well since reading requires concentration like a computer, if that's true?  I can try it. 

It's not about the concentration, it's about the screen use.

Here is some information

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/how-sleep-works/how-electronics-affect-sleep

• Author

Okay thanks.  I already got myself a pair of glasses to block out the blue light, or at least that is what they are designed to do, but perhaps I need an extremely heavy duty very orange pair for this to actually work?

As for trying not to exercise late, I can exercise early on my days off.  However, a personal trainer I talked to said I should be exercising 6 hours a week, an hour a day.  But I was thinking perhaps I could do in on my days off and break it up to three ours a day for those two days off, but that will be tough at first of course to try going for that long.

As for not editing on the computer in the evening, it's tough because I have deadlines to meet at this point though.

Edited by ironpony
3 hours ago, ironpony said:

Okay thanks.  I already got myself a pair of glasses to block out the blue light, or at least that is what they are designed to do, but perhaps I need an extremely heavy duty very orange pair for this to actually work?

As for trying not to exercise late, I can exercise early on my days off.  However, a personal trainer I talked to said I should be exercising 6 hours a week, an hour a day.  But I was thinking perhaps I could do in on my days off and break it up to three ours a day for those two days off, but that will be tough at first of course to try going for that long.

As for not editing on the computer in the evening, it's tough because I have deadlines to meet at this point though.

Exercising an hour a day is desirable, but it's not compulsory.  Exercise 4 hours a week if you want - you'll be fine.   And even if you do exercise, it doesn't have to be high intensity.  Taking a good walk counts as exercise, but won't make your adrenaline spike like high intensity.  Given that you are yet to hire a PT to learn a good program for you and how to exercise safely, I suggest that three hours a day of exercise is likely to do you an injury. Also, if all this exercise is for weight loss, remember that reduced calories is where most of the weight loss will come from. 

As for the computer stuff, it's your life and you have to prioritise what is important to you.   Sleep vs exercise vs working on the computer at night vs working different hours.  Your choice. We can't help you make that decision.

Edited by basil67
  • Author

That's true, I just wonder if I can do something else besides a computer... Like what if I edited while projecting the footage through a projector, if that would be better maybe...

I noticed that after having sex with my gf though I sleep a lot better.  Like even the other night when we did I slept a lot better after, so there is something happening there psychologically it seems.

Edited by ironpony