My boss says I have to work a lot of OT but I can't.

I am somewhat surprised at how many people seem completely unphased that the employer is breaking the law and the original terms during the hiring process.

Probably some cultural differences at play.

I live in the U.S. in an "at will" state. This means an employer can fire you for any reason at any time. Of course there are federal protections for race, religion, sexual orientation, disability, etc, but the reality is that if a company wants you gone, they'll get you gone. They'll either find a not protected reason to terminate or they'll drive you to quit, usually by cutting you to nearly 0 hours or continuously dumping the ****ty assignments/job duties on you until you just walk.

Not to mention, blue collar areas have a different work ethic(?). Where I live, 41-49 hours is typically paid at 1.5x hourly rate and 50+ hours is 2x hourly rate. People seek out and compete for jobs that offer more than 40 hrs a week for that sweet, sweet, overtime. For those folks, OP's job is living the dream.

Oh not sure as I am more new, but it doesn't seem like it's seasonal, at least the employees don't talk like it is. I assume people want these products all the time, and they don't care what time of the year it is.

Actually the boss recently got in a bit of heat I've heard from others, from the higher ups, because of all the overtime and all the money spent on it. So he is not allowed to have any more overtime till further notice now. But who knows how long that will last, before the boss convinces them otherwise, right? So I should still probably look for another job, assuming it's not going to last?

It tends to be cyclical. Big bosses complain about too much overtime, overtime is cut, a few new hires come in, they get fired or quit, overtime is required, after a while the Big bosses complain, rinse, repeat.

Have you thought about seasonal work? If you're frugal you can work seasonal, save, and pursue your passion during the off season.

• Author

Oh, maybe what kind of seasonal work? I guess more people are making movies in the summer, so that would be the season to do that, if I chose seasonal work.

As for why the other employees are unphased, this is just my theory after asking a friend, but my friend says a lot of the workers there are immigrants, and immigrants are a lot less likely to open their mouths about such issues of bosses breaking labor laws. If he is correct?

my friend says a lot of the workers there are immigrants, and immigrants are a lot less likely to open their mouths about such issues of bosses breaking labor laws. If he is correct?

Yes. When people feel disenfranchised they rarely seek institutional help because they don't trust the system to help them. They feel on the outside.

As for why the other employees are unphased, this is just my theory after asking a friend, but my friend says a lot of the workers there are immigrants, and immigrants are a lot less likely to open their mouths about such issues of bosses breaking labor laws. If he is correct?

There's the other side of the equation where the workers, newly arrived or not, need the money and appreciate the chance to earn the extra income OT brings.

Since you don't fall in that category, do a good job in your 44 hours and, well within your rights, go home...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2
  • Author
Yes. When people feel disenfranchised they rarely seek institutional help because they don't trust the system to help them. They feel on the outside.

So if I want a job that doesn't require overtime, then I should get one where the workers are typically not the type to feel on the outside then...

I should get one where the workers are typically not the type to feel on the outside then...

Rather than looking for another company where the workforce is vocal, why not speak up for your rights on this job? Work your hours, decline the extra OT and go on with your life...

Mr. Lucky

• Author

Well that's what I have been doing for the past two weeks, now, until the boss's higher ups told him to put a stop to the overtime. However, the boss called me into his office, and said that I was not working enough of the overtime hours, and if I am not willing to make this job my life long career goal commitment, than maybe this is not the place for me, he said. Does he have a point?

Edited by ironpony

Well for boss it's beneficial that workers do overtime. That's why they want people who work hard and a lot. But he have a point about career and such. Cause if there's really oprtunities to climb the career ladder then it's always nice to progress over the years. Besides if there's many imigrants and you are native then it should be easier and more natural for you to progress in that job and have people under you.

Still you are on of those rare people in factories who is interested in something. You have passion and hobby that you want to pursue. So it might pay off by saying the truth-That you don't give a damn about job and work to live, that you have a real life and staying in job only until something better comes up or you progress in your passion of filmmaking to make a living out of it.

I work in factory too. And boss knows that it's useless to talk to me about overtime cause I care more about myself that work. I have busy sheldure after work to do what I love so there's no space for overtime cause extra money is not worth it for me to sacrifice my life. Sure some guys at factory do a lot of overtime and they get paid very sweetly at the end of the month but they don't know what they are doing cause when they get old at deathbed they ussualy wish, they haven't worked so hard and allowed themselves be happier cause no one else cares about your happiness. Also those overtime guys sucks life out of guys who have a balanced life.

I don't think it's smart to do a lot of hours to earn more. Work smarter not harder. Educate yourself and earn more by working normal hours in higher paid job. Or do what you love for yourself - create your own business and work a lot more than 40 hours a week but you will be doing what you love and doing it for yourself not to make already rich people richer.

The Beatles worked in bottles factory but they risked it a and quit to pursue their dream despite that no one of them knew note ?.

• Like 1
afewscrewsloose
Well that's what I have been doing for the past two weeks, now, until the boss's higher ups told him to put a stop to the overtime. However, the boss called me into his office, and said that I was not working enough of the overtime hours, and if I am not willing to make this job my life long career goal commitment, than maybe this is not the place for me, he said. Does he have a point?

Many people take jobs that aren’t they’re long term goals. I made a mistake of following my job path because I thought I liked it but was really driven my greed. I can’t tell you if your jobs right for you but I do generally feel the more invested you personally feel in it the easier it’ll be to do it. I can personally understand not wanting to invest too much extra time in a job and would encourage to find a job you enjoy if it becomes too much of your life.

The Beatles worked in bottles factory but they risked it a and quit to pursue their dream despite that no one of them knew note ?.

The Beatles were in their late teens early twenties,

Ironpony is in his thirties...

The Beatles were in their late teens early twenties,

Ironpony is in his thirties...

I'm aware of that. That's why its harder for Ironpony to change. More fear and insecurities when you are older. I was reading this story about The Beatles in my early twenties and then it seemed like a lot of courage and great risk.

Still, whats in common is that Ironpony doesn't have a family to support and he has to only fend for himself. I understand it takes great courage to start something completely new in life. We all want something to fall back on in case our dreams don't work out. But just like Batman movie sometimes that rope we are tied to not to fall from heigh in case we fall, need to be cut off in order to climb higher so that nothing holds us back from reaching the top of the pit.

Hard to tell which scenario is this but I think no matter how slow you go as long you don't stop.

Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.

Even if you fail, the strength of character gain will be the measure of your true success.

I think, man that you need mentor or life coach. Think they shouldn't be too expensive. At least try one or few sessions, but choose carefully.