My boss says I have to work a lot of OT but I can't.

• Author

Okay thanks, I tried the HIPPA lie, and we'll see how long it can play out for, before they try to come up with something to counter it.

Do you think maybe I should just go back to school and get a job I like better, without so much overtime, or that I happen to like enough, that I can stand the overtime more?

How do you find out what I am good at? Friends and family say I should go back to school and be a doctor or a plumber, or where I have more control over my time, but should I?

Friends and family say I should go back to school and be a doctor or a plumber, or where I have more control over my time, but should I?

I'd assume plumbers have some control over their schedules, but studying to be a doctor means committing way more than 60 hours a week during residency and internship. Long, long road to completion...

Mr. Lucky

You said something about being considered a bad employee, but what specifically would happen to you if you only worked 44 hours a week? Don’t think you can be terminated for refusing to work overtime...

Mr. Lucky

• Author
You said something about being considered a bad employee, but what specifically would happen to you if you only worked 44 hours a week? Don’t think you can be terminated for refusing to work overtime...

Mr. Lucky

Well I've tried it so far so we will see. However, I noticed another employee is cutting back on his overtime too and leaving early. Two weeks ago they even told me he had to stay a few times, and he said no and walked out. So not sure, since nothing is happening to him so far. What do you mean I am considered a bad employee before though? I thought I was fine, unless I'm wrong...

So are you going to be a plumber or a doctor as a side gig to your career as a filmmaker? Do you want to fund your filmmaking with these side jobs?

What do you mean I am considered a bad employee before though? I thought I was fine, unless I'm wrong...

I thought you'd said in this or one of your other threads you feared repercussions if you refused the overtime, they saw you as "not a team player". Just wondered if any of that had come to pass...

Mr. Lucky

I thought you'd said in this or one of your other threads you feared repercussions if you refused the overtime, they saw you as "not a team player". Just wondered if any of that had come to pass...

Isn't someone who lies about why they take time off in order to pursue other work in essence not a team player ?

I don't have a problem with him saying something to his employer, he seems to have the law and labor board on his side, but like another poster upstream does to get time off for vacations to lie about time off is anti team player and not really a good side of your personality to present..IMO

I think in the end employers almost always know they are lying...

I had an employee who used to use his child being sick (she was an infant) and other excuses to get out of work, one time he mentioned the child bit someone in daycare 3-4 times (over about 2 months) and he had to leave work each time to go get her... I'm not a dummy and he also no longer works here as I phased him out because I needed a team player on my team instead of someone willing to lie to my face to get out of work that other workers had to cover.

I think he should have just been honest and taken on his boss rather than lie.. I think in the end he will have to continue to lie to not work past his normal hours.

• Like 1
Isn't someone who lies about why they take time off in order to pursue other work in essence not a team player ?

Understand your point but the OP's contention is the employer has stretched the "team player" definition beyond the original job description to include additional overtime. Agree that he would be better off by being honest about his availability and the reasons for it.

Unfortunately OP, these types of things are rarely resolved in the employee's favor...

Mr. Lucky

• Author

Well the employer told me 40 hours a week, but then after I start, then he changes it to 50 and now 60. So I feel like he deceived me. If I am lying to him I feel like it's just to counter his initial deception.

ironpony this is one of those life situations where you need to prioritize what is important to you.

As I see it, you have several choices:

1. Do nothing.

2. Tell your factory supervisor that you have another work commitment from your other job, and need 2 weeks off of work.

3. Burn the work-candle at both ends; do a crappy job at the factory and do a crappy job filming the documentary...

4. Tell your factory supervisor that you can't work 60 hours a week and that you need to cut your hours down to 20 hours a week instead. You do not owe your supervisor a reason either.

5. Quit your factory job and apply for other part time jobs that have more flexibility. i.e. temp agencies, substitute teaching, coffee barista, retail, part-time film related jobs as a film programmer. ANYTHING film related that is part-time, inf act.

The worst thing you can do, is inaction. You need to prioritize what is important to you; not working your factory job during the 2 weeks you film this documentary OR quit the documentary project and work the 60 hours OT at your factory job. But you clearly cannot do both. One job will always suffer. I don't know how people juggle multiple jobs without suffering some consequence that affects their mental and/or physical health not to mention their relationships.

• Author

Okay thanks. About option #4... Would an employer be okay with hours being cut down to 20 hours a week, when I agreed to work 40 before?

I can't speak for your factory supervisor. You'd have to ask that question to find out. What are your priorities right now? Filmmaking, or factory work?

• Author

I really wanted to devote some time to filmmaking, which is why I wanted a 40 hour a week job, but it seems that factory jobs, want your entire life to be that job. However, I've been looking for new jobs, and it's been difficult to find work outside of factories, where I live for some reason.

I am somewhat surprised at how many people seem completely unphased that the employer is breaking the law and the original terms during the hiring process.

I would make like your other employee and tell them that you can only work the legally mandated 44 hours a week. That you took this job with the understanding that it was 40 hours per week because you have other commitments outside of that time.

You are allowed to have a life. I understand this may make you unpopular and you may need to gear up to leave the job. But, if you don't stand up for yourself, you will never know. You are not even passionate about this job, so I don't see why you should allow yourself to be taken advantage of by them.

Ps. I have a friend in the film industry, she was once a roommate of mine, and she had to do all sorts of free and low paid film gigs in order to build a resume. Now she has worked on huge name projects that almost anyone here would recognize produced by major stars. So you have the right idea with building your resume if you are serious about film. She was also taken advantage of legally with her hours/OT/pay, etc. even in these gigs and did not pipe up, but now she's at the point where that doesn't happen to her anymore.

People tend to not pipe up because they can't.

They have no no clout or influence, they need the job and the money, their coworkers will not back them up, their employer knows he can replace them easily with a more willing worker, they don't want to get a reputation as a trouble maker and become unemployable...

• Like 1
Okay thanks. About option #4... Would an employer be okay with hours being cut down to 20 hours a week, when I agreed to work 40 before?

Not if it is a full time position, why would an employer accept a person moving to part time and not refill that position with a full time person if they need a full time person ?

If they have an open part time position then you could move to part time from full time if they agreed.

You seem to be all over the place, working over 40 hours seems to be the issue in the thread opening post but now you want to possibly work 20 ?

I'm not sure what it is you are looking for.. your employer like many is pushing you to work more hours and you don't want to.. you have the law and labor board behind you, why not just discuss it with them to cut your hours back to something you can work with ? not every person is built to work long hours and some require more down/recharge time.. nothing wrong with that.. your mental health is your mental health...

It's not really mental health though is it?

It is about his dream of working in the film industry and wanting to have loads of flexible time off work, so he can be away doing film and acting projects, most of which will be unpaid...

He needs loads of money to finance his film dream, but does not want to put in the actual work to get it.

He is not 20, he is in his thirties.

Few regular factory employers are going to be very sympathetic I guess.

• Like 2
  • Author

I wouldn't say I want loads of time off of work, I just didn't want a job that goes over 40 hours a week. That's not loads is it?

I see that I typed 20 hours before. I meant 40, I mistyped, sorry.

Edited by ironpony
I wouldn't say I want loads of time off of work, I just didn't want a job that goes over 40 hours a week. That's not loads is it?

I see that I typed 20 hours before. I meant 40, I mistyped, sorry.

What is causing the need for OT? Is it consumer demand or that the employer doesn't want to hire new people? Is this a seasonal thing like it is for HVAC?

In my experience, OT in factory work comes and goes and is tied to economic ups and downs or a temporary increase in orders. When it was available, everyone worked as much as possible because there could be some lean years ahead and woe be it to those who started a new life style based on a temporary pay increase.

If the OT comes and goes, my advice is to drop everything and work until you are zombie. It will pass soon enough and you will have something substantial to show for it.

Whether that benefits you or not is your decision.

• Author

Oh not sure as I am more new, but it doesn't seem like it's seasonal, at least the employees don't talk like it is. I assume people want these products all the time, and they don't care what time of the year it is.

Actually the boss recently got in a bit of heat I've heard from others, from the higher ups, because of all the overtime and all the money spent on it. So he is not allowed to have any more overtime till further notice now. But who knows how long that will last, before the boss convinces them otherwise, right? So I should still probably look for another job, assuming it's not going to last?

Edited by ironpony