What is the weirdest thing you've had happen on a date?

Trail Blazer

Not exactly a date, but an entertaining "date-like" situation. A new restaurant had opened up near my office. A vendor wanted to try it out, so I met her there for drinks on Monday. I took a date to the same place on Wednesday. Finally, I went there again with a coworker/friend on Friday. Our waitress that night recognized me and blurted out: "Weren't you here with two other women this week?" My friend, having a flair for the dramatic said: "Why, I never!" and gave me a fake slap, to the stunned silence of the waitress and nearby tables. She held it for a few seconds before she burst into laughter and said we were friends.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

An internet hook up, not from an app or site, we had just began chatting on a blog and ended up setting up a meet at a bar years ago. I got there early and ordered a beer, she shows up already drunk and 20 years older than the pic she had sent me (I was 35, she was in her 50's). I check out right there and start thinking up an escape plan as this was a terrible situation I had got myself into. She had downed 5 drinks in about 10 minutes, chugging them and ordering another each time the waitress walked past. These would have cost at least $7.00 each and I wasn't paying for it!

I then just bluntly tell her I have to get going and pass a $10 to the waitress for my pint as she walks past. She then says I cant leave her there as she didn't bring any money and I say sorry but I gotta run and that's all I had. She starts to freak out and I tell her I'll just go grab my credit card in the car and come back.

I walked out of there like I just escaped from prison. Came home to a dozen emails filled with death threats and everything else from her.

• Like 1

Ahh great thread and many interesting stories!:laugh:

I was going through a pretty crazy phase at 18 after I had moved out into an amazing apartment to live on my own - I was clubbing often, sometimes in the middle of the week while still working extra hours + studying, etc etc.

Well I was out one night and the girl I was with decided to give my number to a guy I had been dancing with. I honestly had no idea what he looked like, I didn't know what his name was, I didn't know anything about him.. I was drunk, nightclubs are loud and dark, you don't expect to see them ever again anyway (or recognize them).

Me and the girl left at 4AM and 3h later the guy texts me, asking if I wanted to go out for lunch the same day.. I blew him off because I was starting to feel a bit hungover. So he said that we should meet again in a week, that he'll be out of town for some time. I agreed but pretty much just forgot about it, to be honest. I had no idea who I was talking to.

So one week later, he texted me again. He wanted to take me to dinner in a romantic French themed restaurant. I was very reluctant because I didn't know who he was and I don't like romantic dinners as first dates, that's too intimate too soon for me. But my friend convinced me to go! What's the worst that could happen?

We met. Well, I was a bit early and waited outside in -20C weather in my dress and light coat (my stupidity there), he was 5 min late. He brought me one of those chocolate surprise eggs which was adorable! He was good looking, had an interesting story, but just not my type. There were many awkward pauses, my phone was constantly buzzing (work e-mails, couldn't turn off my phone), it was a bit bizarre, that date.

Then at 11PM we decided that it would be a great idea to go back to the nightclub where we met! It was Wednesday! We went, half of the time I was dancing with a group of girls, we all got pretty drunk. At 2AM we went to Mc Donald's, I got a happy meal and was very pleased with it. Then we decide that since it's around -20C outside still, we should go to a hotel. So we go, poor guy wasted money on the room and we happily ate our burgers in a warm hotel room. Then we went to sleep and every single time he tried to come underneath my blanket I gave him a good kick.

For whatever reason, he was fascinated by me. He wanted to introduce me to his friends the next day. I told him that I was sorry but I couldn't offer more than a friendship, which he gladly accepted, still.

We were in contact on and off. A few months later, my lease ended and after wrecking my motorcycle, I couldn't offer to rent out another apartment. I also had many issues with my family at the time so I couldn't move back home. That same day, as I was packing my belongings and worrying about what's going to happen, he sends me a text where he invites me to a housewarming party. He's moving to my city! I figured that knowing him, it must be a nice cozy apartment. If I asked nicely and offered to pay rent and help with household jobs, how could he say no to me!

It was a dorm. He had his own room but lived with 6 other guys. I told him about my issue and he was happy to welcome me. A month later, another friend of his, a guy, ends up moving in as his apartment was being renovated. I'll have you know, me and the 8 guys developed such an amazing bond. I was like their little sister, we'd play video games every night, go out to pubs and just have a blast! The guy who moved in latest became my best friend. We have helped each other through many difficult times. Those 1,5 months I lived in that dorm (illegally, of course) - I'd NEVER do it again but God am I grateful it happened haha!

We have all followed our own paths now but still meet up every once in a while. Contact is scarce but once we meet, it's like we were never apart, really.

(Sorry for a long post)

• Like 2
rightondude

I've told these stories here before but:

1) This was like the 4th date but dude (not sure if ex or current boyfriend) came into the girl I was seeing's house and tried to stab me

2) after first date, went back to woman's house where she asked "what my kink" was and then bit my wiener. Hard.

3) woman showed up drunk to the date, got drunker, told me she was in love with me, then got married and moved away a week later (she got divorced like 3 months later).

• Like 3
I've told these stories here before but:

1) This was like the 4th date but dude (not sure if ex or current boyfriend) came into the girl I was seeing's house and tried to stab me

2) after first date, went back to woman's house where she asked "what my kink" was and then bit my wiener. Hard.

3) woman showed up drunk to the date, got drunker, told me she was in love with me, then got married and moved away a week later (she got divorced like 3 months later).

dude, who are you dating? wtf

• Like 3
Not exactly a date, but an entertaining "date-like" situation. A new restaurant had opened up near my office. A vendor wanted to try it out, so I met her there for drinks on Monday. I took a date to the same place on Wednesday. Finally, I went there again with a coworker/friend on Friday. Our waitress that night recognized me and blurted out: "Weren't you here with two other women this week?" My friend, having a flair for the dramatic said: "Why, I never!" and gave me a fake slap, to the stunned silence of the waitress and nearby tables. She held it for a few seconds before she burst into laughter and said we were friends.

Hahaha! Well, that was a "bad waitress" story, for sure.

Philosopher

A few years ago, I met up with someone I met from Tinder. She was a Secondary / High school teacher. We decided to go to a coffeeshop near the station where we meet. About 30 minutes into the date, she bumped into one of her former pupils at the coffeeshop, which was somewhat awkward and we quickly left the coffeeshop.

Neither less to say, there was no second date.

A few years ago, I met up with someone I met from Tinder. She was a Secondary / High school teacher. We decided to go to a coffeeshop near the station where we meet. About 30 minutes into the date, she bumped into one of her former pupils at the coffeeshop, which was somewhat awkward and we quickly left the coffeeshop.

what was weird about that??

• Like 3

The weirdest date I had was a few years ago. I met a guy online and we met at this nice restaurant and we had hit it off really well. So we're laughing and chatting it up eating a nice dinner when his WIFE shows up out of the blue confronting him about cheating. I had no idea he was married. Then she's confrontational with me saying I knew he was married making a big scene.. We were all kicked out of the restaurant.. I walked off to my car and left them arguing outside. Needless to say I blocked him and deleted his number and never heard from him again lol.

• Like 4
rightondude
dude, who are you dating? wtf

I seem to have a way of getting into some crazy situations. Makes for good stories later, though. Fortunately things have settled down at the moment but at the beginning after my divorce I was meeting some wild ones.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
I seem to have a way of getting into some crazy situations. Makes for good stories later, though. Fortunately things have settled down at the moment but at the beginning after my divorce I was meeting some wild ones.

Sounds like you were probably going for quantity over quality....

My date (who'd just flown in from Hong Kong) and I went to dinner at a restaurant In Cambridge, MA and ran into Stephen Hawking.

Another date (2nd date) invited me for the weekend, but was called away in the middle of a cold winter night to deliver a baby. She did return before morning, though!

Yet another invited me over for dinner for the first time. it turned out that she still lived with her ex-bf, who made us dinner (he was a gourmet chef).

There are others, but not quite as weird.

• Like 1
Penguin_hugs

My BF is a secondary school teacher- it's pretty common for him to see students when we are out. Weirdly one of my colleagues came in to work after I changed my FB profile pic to one of the two of us and shouted "OMG you are dating Mr XXX!!!" It was pretty strange- but she was 18 and leaving school when he started working there as a newly qualified teacher- and now she's 24 and qualified in her own profession! Another colleague came in to work and told me that her daughter is in his tutor group too.

My weird date was a few years ago. Went for drinks with a guy who seemed obsessed with wealth. He started the conversation by telling me the difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance... I should have realised at that point. After drinks we went for a walk as the place was closing. When we got back to our cars- I had parked in the car park next to the pub- which was £3 for the evening. Whereas he (in his fancy vintage convertible) was being really cheap and parked in the staff car park for free and boxed in all the bar staff... who were angrily waiting by their cars to leave... he wasn't apologetic but did try to move the car.

But here is the thing with fancy vintage cars... they are not reliable- and his battery was flat... he had to beg me to bring my car around to jump start his with jump leads- while the bar staff got more and more angry at the delay!!

I was completely mortified. He was supposedly so wealthy that he wouldn't pay for parking!

• Like 2
Twizzlestick

OP Ha ha that story awesome :D! It’s also really nice and what great encouraging advice too :).

My weirdest, well not that weird, more a mistake, happened when I was younger. I went on “speed dating”. You know that awful format where you sit at a table for 3 useless mins opposite a stranger wearing a badge, ask a few icebreakers before the twenty somethings that run these things decide it’s a great idea to give you ten seconds to get to the next one. This sees people furiously scribbling down at best sketchy details using a blunt pencil onto a stubbornly hard to write on shiny A5 note sheet while attempting not to bump into the chairs on the way to the next table :D.

Well, it was the furiously scribbling bit that got me. I put “A”s brief yet useless twizzlestick description under “B”s section. Knowing me “brown hair - likes frogs” or something utterly useless like that.

I got matched via an email! (It was mid 2000s). We changed numbers and arranged a date. Mm, odd she seemed less bold in her messages than at that table :rolleyes:.

Yeah you guessed it. Rain man here spent ten mins wondering around the pub looking for “A” whilst a crest fallen “B” sat on wandering why her date incessantly walked past her back and forth, mouth agape like a goldfish, seemingly looking for a lost possession.

Finally with a text prompt to sit down opposite a girl who, let’s say, was the polar opposite of who I thought I had matched with ha ha. I hid my disappointment well and worked with all the might I could plunder not to let it show I’d made a cock up so as not to cause hurt. We didn’t go on a second date :D

• Like 1
Lotsgoingon

Oh my, great stories, lovin' this thread.

Here's mine. This was in the months after the divorce that ended my disastrous marriage, and I was let me say, "casually" dating quite a bit.

Somehow I end up at this woman's apartment late one night. I'm talking 2 a.m. in the morning on a weeknight. This was in a tough neighborhood of the city--an area I would typically not go to.

Anyway, turns out ... this woman really likes me ... gets a kick out of me ... starts calling me something like "professional man." She made it plain she never hung out with guys as nerdy as I was ... but she was having a great time talking.

About 3 a.m. in the morning, she turns on some music. Note, she had kids and they were sleeping of course. Well 3 a.m. in the morning, she turns on some music ... loud! ... I mean PA system concert-level loud. And we start dancing ... She's shocked that I can dance ... I think I asked about the noise level and the kids ... and as I recall, she opened the door to the kids' room ... not a peep. Sound asleep. Maybe she played music that loud all the time.

Maybe we kissed some and made out but no sex ... Mainly we danced and laughed and told stories. It became this innocent fun time.

It was as this was expecting one kind of guy, got polite respectful me (polite even when seeking a hookup) ... and was just so pleasantly surprised and let herself enjoy the moment. Across economic class barriers, income barriers, education barriers, we had a connection.

I think about that woman occasionally ... and those surprising and innocent and fun hours I spent with her.

• Like 1

I was dating somebody at the time (but we weren't exclusive). So I agreed to go on a date with another guy who had asked me out. We went to the movies and I suddenly noticed, that the other guy I was seeing was sitting right behind us. And even though I technically wasn't cheating. it still sure felt like it. When the movie was over he waited near the exit to chat. So I had to introduce him to guy no2 and it was all just extremely awkward and embarassing. That was 20 years ago though.

Edit: Ooooh, and I just remembered a very recent one (this year). Matched with a guy on Tinder and texted back and forth with him for a bit. He asked me if I wanted to grab a drink with him that same evening. I didn't have plans, so I agreed. We met in a cocktail bar, had a G&T, date went quite well. At one point he leaned in for a kiss and I went along with it... And then he suddenly mentions that he's actually not from around here but only visiting the city for the weekend (so much for skipping the old "So, where do you live?" question after matching with a guy). I asked him: "So, are you staying in a hotel?" And he's like: "No, visiting a friend. I was actually out with him tonight when you agreed to come meet me. He's sitting at that table over there." So he points to his poor stood-up friend over at the table next to us. At that point it's quite obvious that the guy is a douche bag. Not telling me that he's just visiting for the weekend. Flaking on his best friend who he only sees about once a year to have a drink with a random woman. So weird. So I invited his friend over to our table. The three of us had one more drink and then I decided to take a cab back home (alone of course). Date guy tried to persuade me to take him home, but I obviously didn't (which he didn't like and he even said something along the lines of "Your loss!"). Well, I don't think so.

Edited by LauraXX
  • Like 2
Maybe she played music that loud all the time.

Yes, exactly. It always makes me laugh when people have babies and then want everyone to tiptoe around them. Babies get used to whatever is the norm. Why raise them to be sound-sensitive. I grew up under a flight path during sonic boom testing, with very, very low flying jets and planes you felt you could reach up and touch going over all hours.

• Like 1
  • Author
Trail Blazer
OP Ha ha that story awesome :D! It’s also really nice and what great encouraging advice too :).

Thanks. The date tanked though. I wasn't interested in seeing her again. She was nice enough, but way too quiet, seemed to lack confidence. I tried my best to get her out of her shell, but in the end it just seemed like too much effort. It just didn't flow.

I had another date on the Saturday just gone. It was an awesome date. Two hours flew in a blink of an eye! We just clicked. But she's as extroverted as I am, so it worked well. I wasn't sure about her before the date, but I'm sure as hell certain I want a second date. I didn't need any dating advice with this girl, that's for sure. It was effortless.

newyorker11356
I was dating somebody at the time (but we weren't exclusive). So I agreed to go on a date with another guy who had asked me out. We went to the movies and I suddenly noticed, that the other guy I was seeing was sitting right behind us. And even though I technically wasn't cheating. it still sure felt like it. When the movie was over he waited near the exit to chat. So I had to introduce him to guy no2 and it was all just extremely awkward and embarassing. That was 20 years ago though.

I'm guessing this was in a small town? What are the odds of that? Haha

mortensorchid

Strangest thing EVER? There are two from my arsenal:

1) Junkie - In the MySpace days I connected with this guy and we met up. He was about an hour late (I was about to leave) and he showed up looking like he had just rolled out of bed (hair sticking up in spikes, pillow creases on his face, etc.). I think he apologized about it, but he said he used to be a nurse and he got hooked on drugs. He didn't eat or drink a thing, I realized he was high. He was drooling all over himself and ended up nodding off. I stood up and went to the hostess station and said to the hostess that the man at that table over there was high and had nodded off. I gave the woman $20 and said I was walking away from this, and I was really, really sorry to leave this on the staff but it's for the best. I never heard a word from him again. I went to his MySpace page a few weeks/months later and saw a blog he had posted about getting arrested for drugs, breaking his ribs around his heart, and how he was a musician and all people care about in this town is image. Where's his music? I never knew.

2) The No Show - Many years ago I had an OLD with someone. He went to the wrong location and ended up circling around the place a million times and calling me from pay phones. I asked him why he wasn't picking up his phone I called him a million times, he said he didn't have a phone. I screamed "I am talking to a person in 2007 with no phone?!?!?" I left the place, and he called about two hours later when he finally decided to ask someone for directions. He called me a few weeks later and said he wanted to apologize and I accepted it. The end? No ... He kept calling me for almost 10 MONTHS afterward. I eventually stopped picking up the phone when I saw that he called, and there were times he would call from 10 different numbers until I picked up the phone. Almost 10 months later when I picked up he identified himself and I said "Please don't call me again." He asked "What did I do?", I hung up and he never called me again.

• Like 2
toomanyquestions123

I went on a first date with someone on Bumble when i first started OLD, the guy was ridiculously handsome and charming, i knew he didnt want something serious so i just let it go and just enjoyed the night. While we were having drinks, a bunch of his friends joined us. One of his friends, a guy his age, was very weird and I remember saying to my self that i would never date such a guy; He was unemployed, it was obvious that he does hard drugs. I felt that the whole thing was not comfortable and I couldn't wait to go home. 5 months later, I matched with someone on Bumble and we went for dinner on the same day. When my date arrived, my date looked very familiar and It took me 10 minutes to realize that my date is the friend of the ridiculously hot man i went on a date with 5 months before. I told him that i figured out how he is familiar to me, he also remembered me as well. I bluntly told him that there's not gonna be a second date and I forced myself to have dinner because i wasn't hungry anymore. I deleted Bumble the same day and I'm never gonna do OLD ever again.

• Like 1
newyorker11356
I went on a first date with someone on Bumble when i first started OLD, the guy was ridiculously handsome and charming, i knew he didnt want something serious so i just let it go and just enjoyed the night. While we were having drinks, a bunch of his friends joined us. One of his friends, a guy his age, was very weird and I remember saying to my self that i would never date such a guy; He was unemployed, it was obvious that he does hard drugs. I felt that the whole thing was not comfortable and I couldn't wait to go home. 5 months later, I matched with someone on Bumble and we went for dinner on the same day. When my date arrived, my date looked very familiar and It took me 10 minutes to realize that my date is the friend of the ridiculously hot man i went on a date with 5 months before. I told him that i figured out how he is familiar to me, he also remembered me as well. I bluntly told him that there's not gonna be a second date and I forced myself to have dinner because i wasn't hungry anymore. I deleted Bumble the same day and I'm never gonna do OLD ever again.

Bumble isn't the only dating app out there, and why would you not use it again in general because of those situations?