Cousins and wild dog issues, need advice!

amaysngrace

So true Anika. I practically have to push mine off the couch to go outside now. The worst is when we come home and he’s laying in front of the door. We have to use the door with all our might just to move him so we can get inside.

Some guard dog.

• Like 2
Wallysbears

My lab was an AWFUL puppy. With obedience training and hunting training. He just was big, dopey and full of energy and didn't realize his own size. Then there was the chewing.

By the age of 2-3 he was awesome.

I'm convinced retrievers like labs and goldens are just gigantic bundles of energy when they are puppies that have no concept of their size. Once they mature a bit, they turn into the best pets ever.

Now at 8? My lab is basically a fixture like a couch. He's a lazy bum LOL

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic

Many breeds are like this. I'm currently watching my 4-month-old border collie bop up and down all over the couch because she didn't get her morning wrestle in with my 6 year old borcer collie (who overdid it yesterday and is in pain). She's driving us all nuts (the cats, the dog, me....). By the age of 2 most dogs really start to calm down.

• Like 1

It sounds fairly normal for an untrained puppy. A grown dog should not be biting, but dogs can bite playfully and not hurt. It may be that the family is more used to the dog than you and know when it is being aggressive or not.

Regardless, they should not let it jump all over you and lick and bite you. If it bothers you and saying something does not help, then don't visit them. If they ask why you are not visiting, tell them you don't like being jumped on by the dog.

Wallysbears

How often do you host this cousin and family at your house?

You all go there once a month for like the entire day.

Do you bring food and drink? Entertainment?

Because it sounds like you just show up to be catered to for a day.