My girlfriend wants 50% of my business

I know if we tot up pure figures then she has no case, but this is also a relationship and I can kind of see her point.

She doesn't want to be at a disadvantage - "the junior partner", the 40% stake, the one with little or no say in the business, the one who has always has to defer to you.

Whilst that situation may be fine for more "traditional" women, it is probably not a dynamic that any woman who believes in equality would like to be in.

if it was two platonic friends, two equals, in the picture ... the one wanting 50% would have a cheek expecting it to be handed over, to expect her life to be funded, after just 18 months ... I have a friend who funds me a bit, but we have known each other 40 years

Edited by darkmoon
todreaminblue

no i dont think it fair at all for her to expect 50 per cent "on paper"...i feel that you should work out a budget where the bills at home are shared equally...and what others have suggested about paying her a salary seems fair enough for her time.....her energy.....its nice she can be a struggling artist without the struggle of finances...but in reality as i tell my daughters and my sons.....life isnt a free ride.....relationship....marriage...boyfriend/girlfriend.....single....you pay or put in for your ticket to ride......builds character and life experience......the struggle is real....why should someone else struggle for her.....she should put in....even if you were to marry...no difference.....

i do know money...changes people.....changes dynamics in relationships....being a business partner and an intimate partner....is a difficult situation....especially when that business partnership is only recognised on paper and no security with a marriage on paper behind it...she can leave at any time she chooses...with half your retirement.....hence...the unfairness...you are a paralegal and would know whats right to do ...use your studies to make your appropriate business decisions..as in wages and salaries etc...your brain...and not your heart....if you feel you cant do that keep your heart in check hire a business adviser or seek a free advisory organisation and or lawyer of your own....deb

Edited by todreaminblue
I already said if you look at the numbers they do not stack up and she has no case, but this is not only a business arrangement, this is a relationship.

It is not really just about money. This is about their life moving forward.

He thus has to decide whether he wants to put his faith into the relationship or not, as I guess no 50%, no relationship.

So he has to pay 10s of thousands for the honor of keeping her company? I think there's a term for that.

I mean, if you are dating a guy and think it is starting to get serious, do you ever feel the need to put his name on the deed to your house so he feels equal and you can keep him around? I don't quite see how faith in a relationship means putting up 1/2 your assets and future income potentially for life, to someone that doesn't have a pot to p*ss in. How would his gf "show her faith" equally in return, exactly?

I understand you are saying that OPs relationship with his gf may come down to giving her 50% or her leaving (she won't, she needs someone to pay her bills and let her live the easy life), but defending it as a woman that believes in equality would never accept less than 50% is just so odd and entitled it boggles the mind. OPs gf is not asking for "equality". She is asking for a handout.