Bench warrant

And to be sure look up warrants on your local websute to see if it’s in the system.

It’s public info. It will also show if he has any other warrants issued for something else. In fact - see if he’s in jail. That’s public info too.

• Like 1
  • Author
In fact - see if he’s in jail. That’s public info too.

Thanks but I think if he were in jail the superior court would know that since it’s a statewide database.

I’ll definitely check for a warrant though. Thank you.

You might have to spend $25 or something, but if he has been arrested, that's a public record. You can call the records clerk and ask how to get his records. If that doesn't work, spend $25 to do an online background check and see what pops up.

• Like 1
  • Author

So now I’m even more confused. I was texting with his second exWife and she tells me he’s married now. To that same one I knew about and her exH is a municipal judge in the town they live in. I don’t know if that will help or hurt.

She was married when my ex met her so I’m hoping it’ll help.

His exW #2 told me she hired a PI to get him to sign off of their house for a short sale and the PI only cost $200 and found him in 48 hours. She’s going to get me his name.

Can't hurt. Find out if he's in jail or what. If you are going to hire a PI, I'd have the PI take photos of their assets, like cars. You can check the appraisal district and see if he owns any properties.

• Like 1
  • Author

I’d be very surprised if he’d get approved for a loan. He’s gone bankrupt at least twice that I know about.

Everything is in her name. I’ve done property searches on her and the ones that came up are just hers. Her judge ex H sold her their home for $1.

I think I want to meet this man.

• 1 month later...
  • Author
amaysngrace

Checked into the child support website today to see what was going on, if anything.

I found out he’s ordered to pay $40 a week in back child support as of Monday. He also had his driver’s license suspended back at the end of February. lol

$40 a week means he’s going to be owing me money for back child support for over three years. That’s not even touching what he owes for medical and college tuition.

It looks like they generated another notice to withhold his income on the same date that they came up with that $40 arrears amount. I don’t know if it’s because he voluntarily reported to them or if that’s just periodically done automatically.

Knowing he’s driving around on a suspended license makes me laugh though. He might not even know that about himself.

• Like 1
loversquarrel

A bench warrant is simply an order from the court to bring someone in front of a judge, usually for failing to appear on a summons.

He will not be forced to stay in jail until he pays you.

• Author
amaysngrace
He will not be forced to stay in jail until he pays you.

You’re wrong. He has to post $4000 to get out if he were to be arrested. All that money would come to me.

The bench warrant is for his arrest.

The police may be able to tell, with the right equipment, if he is licensed or not just scanning his plate or tolltag. Anyway, he's more likely to be caught if he's driving without a license. $40 isn't much but it's better than nothing, I guess. I guess the medical and education might have to be a lawsuit, and you'd have to decide if it's worth it or how to pay for it because if he is without money, the attorneys won't be able to get funds from him. But if he married a woman with money and there's not a prenup, maybe they can take her money, which won't that be an awful surprise for her, though.

• Like 1
  • Author
amaysngrace

He may have put his vehicles in her name by now. He does that. Has his wives put things in their names then makes bad on the debt. If the car he drives now is in her name he won’t even show up if the tags are ran.

About the only thing that I can do is tip off child support about where he lives now. He may have gone in voluntarily though to make some sort of payment arrangement with them rather than run the risk of being arrested.

I’m just going to have to wait to see if child support kicks up again I guess. It’s been since November since he’s paid anything.

That $40 a week is in addition to child support so about $160 a month. I know it’s not much but I can treat the kids to a nice dinner out with it or something. Or even put it aside since I didn’t think I’d ever see it again to be honest.

That’s probably the best thing for me to do. Save it.

loversquarrel
You’re wrong. He has to post $4000 to get out if he were to be arrested. All that money would come to me.

The bench warrant is for his arrest.

No I'm not wrong. If he has 1,000$ in the bank and no other means of income do you really think they would keep him in jail for the rest of his life? Nope, it's unconstitutional. That's why wage garnishment is ultimately the strongest action the court can take along with taking tax returns and suspending a license. They can suspend a license to drive because operating a motor vehicle is a privilege, not a right.

Now if he has the money he can post the $4000 as court costs and fees (money owed to you). If he has the money and refuses to pay the court can take the money without his approval.

If he has the money and refuses to pay the court can take the money without his approval.

What do you think happens to him if he can't pay the 4k bond ? they just let him go ?

• Like 1
loversquarrel

Yes, but with conditions. As I stated if he has the money h'll have no choice, if he doesn't then the court will enforce child support via garnishment through pay, tax returns, inheritance, lottery winnings, etc.

If you don't have the money and no income they can not keep you in jail to languish until your death.

Wallysbears

If he has past due child support, they will keep him in jail until he pays a certain amount in the state of NJ. They don't play in NJ when it comes to child support. He will be given a specific % to be released.

• Like 1
He may have put his vehicles in her name by now. He does that. Has his wives put things in their names then makes bad on the debt. If the car he drives now is in her name he won’t even show up if the tags are ran.

About the only thing that I can do is tip off child support about where he lives now. He may have gone in voluntarily though to make some sort of payment arrangement with them rather than run the risk of being arrested.

I’m just going to have to wait to see if child support kicks up again I guess. It’s been since November since he’s paid anything.

That $40 a week is in addition to child support so about $160 a month. I know it’s not much but I can treat the kids to a nice dinner out with it or something. Or even put it aside since I didn’t think I’d ever see it again to be honest.

That’s probably the best thing for me to do. Save it.

You should always update that agency on his whereabouts when you know them. It saves them the time and trouble, so they'll be glad.

• Like 1

If you don't have the money and no income they can not keep you in jail to languish until your death.

Actually they do otherwise all criminals who owe bonds would be out free just because they don't have any money...it would negate the idea of a bond..

They jail them and work off an amount each day till they get out... I'd bet 4k would get him a min of 6 months

• Like 2
Actually they do otherwise all criminals who owe bonds would be out free just because they don't have any money...it would negate the idea of a bond..

They jail them and work off an amount each day till they get out... I'd bet 4k would get him a min of 6 months

Why would the government let him work off his child support in the form of jail time?

Every jurisdiction may work differently on this stuff and states have different laws, I wouldn’t rely on legal information from the people here when you have no idea what forms the basis for the advice.

• Author
amaysngrace

Failure to pay CS (child support) can land you in jail. Not showing up to court when you’ve been told you need to appear because you failed to pay child support can also land you in jail. We live in New Jersey.

It seems he made a weekly payment yesterday through either garnishment or voluntarily. I’m not sure which. I hope it means he’s now working but I have no idea. I online chatted with someone from CS yesterday and there’s still an outstanding bench warrant against him. I’m still unsure if the $40 extra is for money that’s accumulated since the court date he didn’t show to or the full amount he owes since November, or if I can only get the first $4000 he owes back just if he’s arrested. I guess I reached out too close to quitting time or something because the person on the other end of the chat abruptly ended the conversation at five minutes to four. Usually they ask if you have anything else they can help you with and I did tell her I had a new address for him but it seems like she couldn’t be bothered with any of that.

She got a 2 out of 5 review.

I don’t know what all this arguing about going to jail and posting back support for bail is about. I have a court order, signed by a judge, stating just that.

“Full Arrears As Purge” with the amount listed as of that date.

• Like 1

You've done your homework, so just prod the system along. Hopefully you can get someone else on the phone when they're not ready to go home next time. You certainly have a right to whatever info they have as you are the injured party.

I have to believe if he does jail time still doesn't expunge his duty to pay if he ever works.

• Like 1
  • Author
amaysngrace

You can’t have that forgiven. You can’t claim it in bankruptcy either.

About the only thing you can do is have it modified if you aren’t earning as much as you once had. He’s never asked to have it reduced. Not once. But I think he’s pretty much screwed there also. He signed our divorce settlement agreement stating that he was fully aware that the amount he was paying was more than what is required for him to pay.

I’m not sure how that got past his lawyer’s approval but his attorney did say “that poor girl” in reference to me when my sister died about a month after I filed. His attorney also read my complaint for divorce. It didn’t exactly put his client in a positive light so maybe that had something to do with it too.

Who knows? He may have tried to have it lowered in the past but by agreeing to those terms made it impossible to ever do so.

I don’t care, it works for me.

Why would the government let him work off his child support in the form of jail time?

They don't but they can with a bond or they just hold you over till court