Does it seem people are more materialistic nowadays than prior?

l'm surprised there's not more posts like this . Just reading forums if l lived over there and single l'd def' be changing countries, the women just sound so bad , l honestly dunno why you guys even bother with them.

Must be some good ones around though surely.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear
l'm surprised there's not more posts like this . Just reading forums if l lived over there and single l'd def' be changing countries, the women just sound so bad , l honestly dunno why you guys even bother with them.

Must be some good ones around though surely.

Absolutely..

Bottom line is its not nearly as bad as it appears

TFY

Do you think back in the 50’s

And 100 years before that too. His job was to provide and father babies, her job was to run the home and raise the babies.

• Like 1
  • Author
When I’m working I make 6 figures and I wouldn’t really want a man who makes less than me. Shoot me? It’s kind of funny you’re surprised women would want someone in the same educational and intellectual level and that they try to gauge your situation. That’s just normal. I don’t “need” their money but I want someone with the same socioeconomic background or above mine.

At the same time, I would not be with someone I don’t connect with or our personalities don’t match only because they’re doing well financially. So your assumption that all women are only after your money might be a little skewed.

It would be nice that money wasn't the main issue. I've yet to date a woman who makes over me, and this is New York Metro. If a woman seems to be too much in to $$$, I don't even bother.

you have to stop socializing with gold-diggers

Guess I'll have to move to Ohio then.

To be honest many men who bashing women on their standards are losers themselves, that's why they get so bitter.

No all men, but many.

It's funny cuz men can go after hot girls but women can't choose rich guys? Lol

Actually, I do not even bother to shoot for the "hot girls" as you say. Average and in shape, that's all I ask. Oh, and one that doesn't ask how much I make. I've been asked that on the first date. I excuse myself and just leave.

If the woman is a high roller herself then nothing wrong if she wants you to be on the same level. Besides, many guys these days arent really assets but liabilities. Women cook, clean, do housework, take care of herself, and the man, and now she even makes more money than the man, seriously , why would she wanna do that..

If you can find a woman who makes six figures who also cooks, cleans, does housework, take care of herself, the man and the offspring, that would be amazing. No woman, nor man, could do that; unless either inherited tens of millions.

• Author
Oh god no! Who the heck cares what their date makes especially in the beginning?? Like I’ll go out with pen and paper and compare and contrast our salaries and investments :D

People are more materialistic now than before but yet of attraction and love are there, they trump all numbers (money, height, weight, age, you name it) :)

This is what I am basically stating. It seems the man has to meet the 6x6x6 theory. I miss on one, I'm not 6ft tall. Yet, many, not all, modern women seem to think them just being attractive is enough. Looks fade. People get fat/out of shape. Life happens. It should be more than just $$$ on either side. If I am naive to think this, then okay.

• Author
And 100 years before that too. His job was to provide and father babies, her job was to run the home and raise the babies.

Pretty sure social media wasn't around yet. :D

I'veseenbetterlol
They are not gold digging they are being realistic. You have a steady job/career? great. Can you support yourself? great. You have a car and a roof over your head? good so do I. You make as much as me or more? fantastic. At least you are not homeless, or living in your mother's basement, between jobs, or financially in transition from a bad divorce. They are looking for reliable, and stable.

Def agree about this! Yes they are materialistic people out there, but a lot of women (men too) are looking for someone financially stable. I never asked how much a guy made, but I would question what he does for a living and I see whether or not they can support themselves.

I dated a lazy dude long distance and I promised myself no more. I have a professional job and have earned my degree. He graduated high school, had no college ambitions and barely worked. He lived at home so saving money would be super easy, yet he was always broke. I live at home as well, but I have constant work. Even when working a min wage job, I was never broke because I knew how to save and I was always working.

I assure you that in the past, women (or rather, their father) would be MORE concerned about your job and social status than in the present. Marrying for love, and "wanting you for you" is an extremely modern concept.

You would probably have better luck in the future.

• Like 4
Marrying for love, and "wanting you for you" is an extremely modern concept.

As is waiting until you're 30+ years old to do so. Both sets of my grandparents were married by the time they were 21, their parents probably even earlier...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

If you can find a woman who makes six figures who also cooks, cleans, does housework, take care of herself, the man and the offspring, that would be amazing. No woman, nor man, could do that; unless either inherited tens of millions.

If you are in the NY Metro area, there are a LOT of women who do just this. And most don't even blink about it.

Six figures-ish in the more urban Mid Atlantic is a pretty standard compensation level for professionals with 10 years or so of experience.

When you get past the 250K range as a household is when you tend to see more Nannies, housekeepers, etc. coming into play.

And yeah...people want to know what other people do for a living and approximate income when they are first dating.

• Like 1
  • Author
If I was single again I would just use hot young guys like paper dolls, who cares how much they make lol.

Thinking like this makes relationships haphazard these days. No one, man or woman, should be used like that. No one. Shame how far the human race has fallen.

Just curious - do YOU take care of her and the offspring as well, clean, cook, do housework, or is it the “woman’s job” only — even when she makes her own money? What a charmer.

As mentioned above there are zillions of women in NY Metro who do just that.

Edited by edgygirl
  • Like 1

I haven't been dating in decades, but my friends who do tell me they ask about a person's job ( not their income..where i"m from , that incredibly impolite to ask) and their martial status. They don't want to date a married guy, but they wold like a guy with a stable job ( less drama) and if they know his occupation, it can provide a discussion topic and give them something to talk about.

• Like 1
This is what I am basically stating. It seems the man has to meet the 6x6x6 theory. I miss on one, I'm not 6ft tall. Yet, many, not all, modern women seem to think them just being attractive is enough. Looks fade. People get fat/out of shape. Life happens. It should be more than just $$$ on either side. If I am naive to think this, then okay.

Just being attractive is not enough of course. There are factors like compatibility and chemistry which are non-negotiable for good relationship.

But seriously, the 6/6/6 or whatever metrics is meaningless EXCEPT for preselection in OLD, the same way how listing your achievements in your resume is not going to bring you any further than getting preselected during online application.

Money, weight, height, age matter if and only if love is not there and the person is trying to rationalize their choice of mate.

I think the modern day issue is people try to find mate, and find it fast. It's not a competition or numbers game, except for pacifying one's impatience. When it happens (you find your person), no metrics matter.

• Author
Just curious - do YOU take care of her and the offspring as well, clean, cook, do housework, or is it the “woman’s job” only — even when she makes her own money? What a charmer.

As mentioned above there are zillions of women in NY Metro who do just that.

Why yes. When I was married, I always cooked the meals four days a week, did the housework and had a cleaning company come once every other week as well. I don't need anyone to take care of me. I can take care of myself and others just fine. I just do not like to be looked at as just a wallet. I am sure women, in general, do not like to be looked at as only a sex object too; which they are generally not.

• Author
I haven't been dating in decades, but my friends who do tell me they ask about a person's job ( not their income..where i"m from , that incredibly impolite to ask) and their martial status. They don't want to date a married guy, but they wold like a guy with a stable job ( less drama) and if they know his occupation, it can provide a discussion topic and give them something to talk about.

Have no problem disclosing my job, marital status, etc. However, I draw the line at how much do you earn. If we were going into an LTR or marriage, that's completely different. First date or so, no good. I'm a business owner with no debt and multiple locations. I'm getting by fine. Not bragging, just making a statement for the stable job aspect.

• Author
Just being attractive is not enough of course. There are factors like compatibility and chemistry which are non-negotiable for good relationship.

But seriously, the 6/6/6 or whatever metrics is meaningless EXCEPT for preselection in OLD, the same way how listing your achievements in your resume is not going to bring you any further than getting preselected during online application.

Money, weight, height, age matter if and only if love is not there and the person is trying to rationalize their choice of mate.

I think the modern day issue is people try to find mate, and find it fast. It's not a competition or numbers game, except for pacifying one's impatience. When it happens (you find your person), no metrics matter.

Very true.

I doubt every woman has asked you that on a first date. The one who did is just rude and has no social & dating manners.

However, I draw the line at how much do you earn. If we were going into an LTR or marriage, that's completely different. First date or so, no good.
  • Like 1
  • Author
I doubt every woman has asked you that on a first date. The one who did is just rude and has no social & dating manners.

The last few, including a STR. My standard answer, is I'm getting by. None of them liked that. It shouldn't be just about $$$. It seems that is all that is on their minds these days.

Apparently you’re not the only one frustrated. I saw the below on the dating profile of a late 40s man :D Wow... But note - even he knows women want a “financially secure” man.

“Confident, curious, financially secure.

Financially independent women only. Zero interest in supporting you in any way, shape, or form. Models, actresses, artists, photographers, yogis, personal trainers, bartenders, backpackers, sugar babies, prostitutes, and/or any one else living in a really tiny, cluttered, crappy apartment (specially with roommates) is a hard pass. Sound tough? You ought to read your sister profiles. You all need a little humility.

6’2” 200, divorced, two kids, one dog.”

:lmao::lmao::lmao: I found it off putting but perhaps you can get inspired.

Edited by edgygirl
  • Like 1
  • Author
Apparently you’re not the only one frustrated. I saw the below on the dating profile of a late 40s man :D Wow... But note - even he knows women want a “financially secure” man.

Financially independent women only. Zero interest in supporting you in any way, shape, or form. Models, actresses, artists, photographers, yogis, personal trainers, bartenders, backpackers, sugar babies, prostitutes, and/or any one else living in a really tiny, cluttered, crappy apartment (specially with roommates) is a hard pass. Sound tough? You ought to read your sister profiles. You all need a little humility.

Regretfully, he has something women find very attractive which I will never have.. He's 6'2'', I'm a hair under 5' 10''. Women do not like to date short men, so I'm screwed there as well. I find that ironic, as all three of my brothers are 6'0'' or taller. Sigh..

Haha this is funny. Why is it offputting though? I don't st anything wrong if he wants that

Ha! I don't find that off putting at all! If I were single that is the kind of ad I would responded.

Except for the two kids part. I wouldn't want to get serious with anyone who has children that arent already adults themselves.

• Like 1

He was not good looking tbh. But goes to show a lot of men feel like you.

Hey there’s a lid to every pot. I see plenty of shorter men happily coupled. Why don’t you start approaching it in a different way? - you’re financially stable which is one of the many assets one can have - not something you should feel guarded about. Learn to read who the gold diggers are but don’t get paranoid. When they ask, instead of “I’m doing fine” (which sounds suspicious) just say you’re a small business owner and financially secure. That’s all they need to know on the first dates / months. What most women are really asking is whether you work and are not a bum.

Regretfully, he has something women find very attractive which I will never have.. He's 6'2'', I'm a hair under 5' 10''. Women do not like to date short men, so I'm screwed there as well. I find that ironic, as all three of my brothers are 6'0'' or taller. Sigh..