Live alone or stay with mom * Update* mom kicked me out

amaysngrace

Totally agree stillafool but it’d be nice if she got to leave on her own time rather than being kicked out.

It just throws unnecessary drama into the mix.

It just throws unnecessary drama into the mix.

I have a strong suspicion that this relationship is very codependent and full of drama.

OP, find your support and take some deep breaths. You can do this.

• Like 2
amaysngrace
I have a strong suspicion that this relationship is very codependent and full of drama.

Yes I’ve just read through since mods merged the threads and would have to agree.

Kristen, how can your mom let you inherit a house she rents?

• Like 2

I think her mom is kind of using her for financial reasons. She has been able to write her off as a dependent and don't know if she's on welfare, but if so if this is the last kid, then she's not anymore and would have to work.

I think it's great you're trying it on your own. I think you'll grow a lot without having someone always influencing you, and yet you'll still have your family. Your mom will get over it eventually.

I think her mom is kind of using her for financial reasons. She has been able to write her off as a dependent and don't know if she's on welfare, but if so if this is the last kid, then she's not anymore and would have to work.

This “kid” is in her forties. Although, I don’t disagree with the thought that there is a financial motivation here. I also think, based on reading other posts, that this mother likes to tell her children what they can and can not do, and if Kristine moves out of the home she will lose some control...

amaysngrace

It’s what it sounds like to me too Bailey. Because she was ready to branch out on her own her mom got the final say by tossing her out first, making it into mom’s decision.

I hadn’t realized Kristine is 40. Yes, it’s time to fly that coop.

I’m still perplexed on how you can inherit a house that’s not yours.

It’s what it sounds like to me too Bailey. Because she was ready to branch out on her own her mom got the final say by tossing her out first, making it into mom’s decision.

Agree. There was also a lot of guilt and manipulation when the discussions about moving first started... it doesn’t feel like a good situation.

It takes strength to leave home, at any age. I hope you are managing ok Kristine.

some mothers are better than others when it comes to kicking her babies out of the nest

some mothers are better than others when it comes to kicking her babies out of the nest

This mother wanted her to stay, until she decided to leave and then the move date got moved up... apparently.

• Author

Mom has come around. Let me stay at her house while I get apartment together. Helped me move headboard and boxes. Helped me put bed together. Very happy. She says apartment is nicer than she remembered. She actually came over. She thinks I'll stay there a long time. Because I'll get comfortable. Still need a couch but I'm looking.

• Like 3
amaysngrace

She may have realized how badly she was behaving about everything. It sounds like she’s come around though. I’m glad to hear it’s working out.

Congratulations on your new place!

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic
Mom has come around. Let me stay at her house while I get apartment together. Helped me move headboard and boxes. Helped me put bed together. Very happy. She says apartment is nicer than she remembered. She actually came over. She thinks I'll stay there a long time. Because I'll get comfortable. Still need a couch but I'm looking.

I wish you all the best in your own place!

• Like 3

See, this is how mothers do. They stomp their feet and fight tooth and nail to keep control over you, but once they know you're going to grow up and go down your own path in spite of their need to hold on, they have no choice but to get on board. Glad to hear! Do not let her move in. Do not give her a key. Listen to me right now on that.

• Like 2
goldengirl11

Good luck. It will probably take some getting used to, but try to make an effort to invite friends over regularly. Otherwise, it is too easy to become quite isolated, in my personal experience.

• Like 1