My mom treats me like an ATM

SweetCharity

I don't see how you could misinterpret my post but it's clear you're nitpicking on the basis of semantics. I'm definitely not costing more than I give her.

I'm not misinterpreting your post. You were literally saying two completely different things.

How is it possible that you are not costing her more than you're giving her? If that were true, if you could genuinely get all- inclusive room and board anywhere else for $500 a month... what is stopping you from moving out? :confused:

Im not well versed on Florida Law but I'm pretty sure landlords are legally required to provide pest control regardless of unauthorized tenants.

[/Quote]

They may be obligated to do so, but you won't be reaping the benefits anyway because you would have been EVICTED.

Presuming the housing unit is a HUD-subsidized (voucher) unit, it's pretty simple. A unit made uninhabitable/out of standard is reported to the HA, they inspect and give the landlord details on bringing the unit into compliance. A pest infestation would be one example.

If a voucher tenant wishes to add a family member to their household, they first get permission from the landlord, usually a slam dunk if within code for occupancy, then submit to the HA for processing. Main thing they look at is income sources for adjustment to the voucher amount.

Details vary around the country but most of it is pretty standard. HA and HUD care about the money. They don't want people who wouldn't otherwise qualify for their housing program taking units that other people in need can utilize. Most programs are full up with a waiting list.

Since the OP apparently is being used as an ATM, she's adding income to the household. Plenty of people fly under the radar on this. Very common. We'd do pest inspection inspections around dinner time on units just to get a head count to compare and of course look for pest and any other unit problems. That's part of a property manager's or landlord's job. The HA and HUD put a lot of restrictions and rules on landlords to participate so landlords generally don't like surprises.

Anyway, that's my take as a historical landlord who's interfaced with the programs.

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm not misinterpreting your post. You were literally saying two completely different things.

How? Saying I didn't want to be treated like an ATM is pretty straight forward.

How is it possible that you are not costing her more than you're giving her? If that were true, if you could genuinely get all- inclusive room and board anywhere else for $500 a month... what is stopping you from moving out? :confused:

I'm not costing her anything because I'm not adding to her bills. She buys the same amount of groceries that she would regardless if I were there. She also has foodstamps. I'm barely at the house so I don't run up the electric bill. The only thing I'm doing is taking up space.

They may be obligated to do so, but you won't be reaping the benefits anyway because you would have been EVICTED.

Our landlord has evicted people in the past but usually for non-payment of the rent. I think he actually knows I'm living there. In any case I don't see how an unauthorized tenant is more important an issue than a health hazard that is a nasty cockroach infestation. If anything I'm doing him a favor by handling it.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed rude remarks
The problem is that she'll let two months of an electric bill go by without telling me,

When I was in a similar situation, I took over the paying of the bills that could potentially cause the greatest problems...not that I funded all of it, but that I made sure it was paid,

even if just the minimum payment required.

I would call for a 'family meeting' with all directly-affected adults, and suggest that you (or someone else who is more financially responsible than your mom) get to see each and every utility bill,

so that, between all of you, you can make sure that it's getting properly taken care of. If they don't like that idea, ask them to help you brainstorm a solution that will work for your actual situation.

Best of luck...I know that dealing with some types of family dynamics can be quite challenging and frustrating. :(.

• Author
I'm very sorry to hear your situation OP. Some of the things you were writing felt like I was reading things about my own mother. My mother needs help financially every single month, and while I don't live with her, she has the attitude that its her kids job to help her. <SNIP>

Thank you so much for saying that. I'm sorry you had to go through what you went through. I'm just sorting out how I feel and how I should proceed.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator