Great female bodies, lifestyle or genes?

IME, sampling the breadth of life, all else being equal, genetics rules.

All else also includes being medically healthy. Often what people perceive as a less than great body can be traced to medically correctable conditions with no other lifestyle changes. One example I was reminded of when caregiving was hypothyroidism. That gland affects a lot of body functions, including those related to appearance.

• Like 1
Disagree...

A fit body consumes calories FAR more efficiently than a soft and out of shape one...even when sleeping...Imagine eating practically anything you want(within reason) and not gaining a significant amount of weight...It just takes more calories to support a fit body, so you are really never or rarely are, in a hunger situation...

I say to people that its easier to get conditioned to training, then being strict with a diet on a day in and day out basis.....I don't regularly eat pizza, but I am at a point where I won't sweat eating 4-5 slices a sitting and have absolutely no guilt whatsoever...Because it will have about as much of an effect on my body as a salad would...

But if you don't like exercise, or can't deal with the pain(sigh), then its a moot point...Stick to the greens and rice cakes and wallow in guilt over a bite of cheesecake....Its everyone's choice...;):p

TFY

Personally, I eat real foods and do sports activity (tennis, hiking, dancing, etc.) mostly. But if being like Arnold is your idea of a fit body, then no thanks :laugh:

thefooloftheyear
Personally, I eat real foods and do sports activity (tennis, hiking, dancing, etc.) mostly. But if being like Arnold is your idea of a fit body, then no thanks :laugh:

You don't get it.....but that's ok....most don't....

;)

TFY

Just by casual observations, I think genetics affects one’s body shape in at least a couple of aspects. First, the body proportions (e.g., some East Asian individuals tend to have more fat/weights around their mid-sections). It seems that one’s “natural appetite” may be governed by genetics. I have a friend who has been obese almost her whole life. Every few days, she would eat two full dinners in a row (maybe an hour ir two apart), even though she is full from the first dinner. She also naturally likes foods high in trans fat, sat fat and sugar.

Edited by JuneL
  • Like 1
[/b]

But Beautiful People have always been in the media/hollywood/movies. As a matter of fact, IMHO, they were even more beautiful back then. Why now, does everyone feel entitled to look like them or get depressed, anxious, starve themselves, plastic surgery, botox, etc.? Back then, people accepted the fact that some people in this world are beautiful and some of us aren't and that's just the way it is.

Yes, beautiful people have always been in media and Hollywood. But media is more pervasive than at any time in history. And there's still the point that the US does movies and TV very differently to many other countries. The TV and movies that I see from Commonwealth countries don't cast like the US. They don't use beautiful people - they use regular people.

I can't speak for what is common in Europe.

• Like 2
Not having the time is the oldest excuse in history....You make the time....If most people spent half the time they waste on the net/fb/forums and other social media getting to the gym and actually going to work, they could probably be champions or have exactly the body or level of fitness they want....And just because you go to the gym, if you spend that time as well on your smartphone or talking to other people, then you aren't even getting anything done there either...

There are no excuses, really....Either you want it or you don't...its as simple as that...;)

TFY

One of my friends is a carer. The demands on her time are so significant that she hasn't had a professional haircut in 15 years and has missed family weddings and funerals. At home, she's lucky that one of her dogs will let her know if the son is having a seizure in another room.

Many other carer friends struggle to find respite to mind their disabled kids even just to go out to dinner.

I think you have no concept of what it is to be so overwhelmed with life demands that you can't make it to the gym.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear
One of my friends is a carer. The demands on her time are so significant that she hasn't had a professional haircut in 15 years and has missed family weddings and funerals. At home, she's lucky that one of her dogs will let her know if the son is having a seizure in another room.

Many other carer friends struggle to find respite to mind their disabled kids even just to go out to dinner.

I think you have no concept of what it is to be so overwhelmed with life demands that you can't make it to the gym.

You're right....running two businesses, working for close to 30 years without ever once not showing up for work. looking after an elderly mother, being a dad, suffering debilitating injuries and setbacks, etc...just a walk in the park...yep...you're right....I haven't a clue...:rolleyes:

It takes maybe a half hour to 45 minutes in a day ...out of approx 1,500 total minutes in a day.......

I'm done here.....the rationalizing and jive is beyond ridiculous.....If you want it, you make it happen...you find a way...If you don't then it's just not that important......and that's fine too!!:)

TFY

• Author
(apologies to the OP, seems like we're veering way off track).

Te absolvo. Yeah, I opened a 'can of worms'. Apparently people feel strongly about diet, exercise, and how attractive they want their bodies to be. To me, my most important question was and is how valid the assumption about 'you can't stay hot as you age' is. If I can boil down the consensus, I think people agree that the assumption is invalid but that to obviate it requires a degree of effort that many people won't buy into. Personally, I 'feel good' when my body is 'better' (and I'll never be a male model or an Arnold). How much that is physiological and how much egotistical emotion, who can say.

You're right....running two businesses, working for close to 30 years without ever once not showing up for work. looking after an elderly mother, being a dad, suffering debilitating injuries and setbacks, etc...just a walk in the park...yep...you're right....I haven't a clue...:rolleyes:

It takes maybe a half hour to 45 minutes in a day ...out of approx 1,500 total minutes in a day.......

I'm done here.....the rationalizing and jive is beyond ridiculous.....If you want it, you make it happen...you find a way...If you don't then it's just not that important......and that's fine too!!:)

TFY

No, I'm serious. Who minds the person who needs *full time* care when you're the only option? I'm glad you cared for your elderly mother, but who cared for her when you weren't around?

Same with low income working single parents of young children. The kids are in school/daycare when the parent is working, but if they can't afford a sitter on a regular basis who minds the children after hours while the parent is at the gym?

Well, I think it certainly helps to have an objective third party's opinion. I mean, one of the things I did with my ex-wife was highlight the areas of her body that she needed to work on with a Sharpie marker. I carried on the practice with my next ex-girlfriend but I made it more of a game by drawing silly sad faces on the area I highlighted. My next ex-girlfriend appreciated it so much she once said, "wow, it is so helpful Mrin for you to tell me exactly what you think of me!" I'm a very good communicator. The best. I'm really looking forward to doing this with all of my future ex-girlfriends too!

/sarc

• Like 1
littleblackheart
Te absolvo. Yeah, I opened a 'can of worms'. Apparently people feel strongly about diet, exercise, and how attractive they want their bodies to be. To me, my most important question was and is how valid the assumption about 'you can't stay hot as you age' is. If I can boil down the consensus, I think people agree that the assumption is invalid but that to obviate it requires a degree of effort that many people won't buy into. Personally, I 'feel good' when my body is 'better' (and I'll never be a male model or an Arnold). How much that is physiological and how much egotistical emotion, who can say.

Honestly, beyond genes, I think it comes down to a mix of practical stuff (just life in general and your priorities at certain stages in your life), your own sense of worth and what 'hot' means to you.

To me, 'hot' means smart, intellectually curious with a dry sense of humour. I don't rate abs, I don't care about muscle tone and have zero in common with fitness nuts. I'm not a model, I don't care to be one, I am normal healthy 43yo mother of 2 and I'm comfortable in my skin. Having a great body (I'm not even sure what that means) is the least of my concerns, in truth - for myself pr for a partner.

• Like 3
Honestly, beyond genes, I think it comes down to a mix of practical stuff (just life in general and your priorities at certain stages in your life), your own sense of worth and what 'hot' means to you.

To me, 'hot' means smart, intellectually curious with a dry sense of humour. I don't rate abs, I don't care about muscle tone and have zero in common with fitness nuts. I'm not a model, I don't care to be one, I am normal healthy 43yo mother of 2 and I'm comfortable in my skin. Having a great body (I'm not even sure what that means) is the least of my concerns, in truth - for myself pr for a partner.

I think I love you LBH.

As I said earlier, I have a perfectly serviceable 50yo body. It does everything I need it to. I am healthy. To me, this is a great body. I swim, walk and gym to a level that I am healthy. If someone wants more, they need to find a different partner.

• Like 2

Mass media makes everyone look the same. Workout is what I do to keep fit. If you want to look good these women won't be with you if you not fit. Sometimes love means more than having a large gut an etc. What matters most you are who you are in and out. Not everyone is made for each other. I don't know much about 50 and 60 an up crowd. Some of those here look like they just gave up on life. Why not be young always and feel it and be it!

TBH I don't like the look of bodybuilders. Most of the time they are so out of proportion it looks funny. They'll have this massive big chest but these short small legs and hands. LOL. And the women look strange. Sure, some definition is nice but these women get all big with veins and think they look fantastic. To me it looks freakish.

• Like 1
Well, I think it certainly helps to have an objective third party's opinion. I mean, one of the things I did with my ex-wife was highlight the areas of her body that she needed to work on with a Sharpie marker. I carried on the practice with my next ex-girlfriend but I made it more of a game by drawing silly sad faces on the area I highlighted. My next ex-girlfriend appreciated it so much she once said, "wow, it is so helpful Mrin for you to tell me exactly what you think of me!" I'm a very good communicator. The best. I'm really looking forward to doing this with all of my future ex-girlfriends too!

/sarc

OMG...

If my husband did that to me he'd be eating the Sharpie.

OMG...

If my husband did that to me he'd be eating the Sharpie.

...rectally....

• Like 1
...rectally....

Just to preserve my reputation here - I did post that as a satirical offering.

CautiouslyOptimistic
Just to preserve my reputation here - I did post that as a satirical offering.

We got it ;). I laughed :lmao:

Just by casual observations, I think genetics affects one’s body shape in at least a couple of aspects. First, the body proportions (e.g., some East Asian individuals tend to have more fat/weights around their mid-sections). It seems that one’s “natural appetite” may be governed by genetics. I have a friend who has been obese almost her whole life. Every few days, she would eat two full dinners in a row (maybe an hour ir two apart), even though she is full from the first dinner. She also naturally likes foods high in trans fat, sat fat and sugar.

^ This.

Having a great body (or even a good body) is 90% genetics and 10% fine tuning, considering that you're at normal weight and good health.

Yeah, you can shape your muscles and stay skinny, but that's pretty much all you can do against your genetics. The thing is it gives people 'sense of accomplishment' that they can shape a bit, that's why we are 'conditioned' to pretend great bodies are work not genetic gift.

In the end of the day what makes a body great is proportions & shape - and that comes big time from your genetic make up. You can't make short legs appear gracious, and you can keep as skinny as you want and still not have a defined waist.

• Like 1
MaleIntuition
^ This.

Having a great body (or even a good body) is 90% genetics and 10% fine tuning, considering that you're at normal weight and good health.

Yeah, you can shape your muscles and stay skinny, but that's pretty much all you can do against your genetics. The thing is it gives people 'sense of accomplishment' that they can shape a bit, that's why we are 'conditioned' to pretend great bodies are work not genetic gift.

In the end of the day what makes a body great is proportions & shape - and that comes big time from your genetic make up. You can't make short legs appear gracious, and you can keep as skinny as you want and still not have a defined waist.

Fat distribution, where it is stored, is based on genetics and so is muscle connection and bone structure (ie short legs).

You can work with fat amount and muscle size. Today’s beautygoals for women normally revolve around resistance training for lower body. If you muscles get bigger you waist will appear smaller.

• Like 1

One of the female PTs at my gym is super strong and has a body which is brick shaped. Genetics at play there.

thefooloftheyear
^ This.

Take a typical flat chested and wiry 110/120 lb woman, get her to squat some to get her glutes to pop, add a boob job, and its like a miraculous transformation..:laugh:

Genetics sure are important, no doubt, but don't discount the impact of a good boob job on the right type of woman...

TFY

• Like 1
Fat distribution, where it is stored, is based on genetics and so is muscle connection and bone structure (ie short legs).

You can work with fat amount and muscle size. Today’s beautygoals for women normally revolve around resistance training for lower body. If you muscles get bigger you waist will appear smaller.

If you muscles get bigger you waist will appear smaller.- sure, to an extent. Some fine tuning would make things better, and still it's never going to make an average proportioned woman look like a VS model...

Whereas a woman with naturally (genetically) good proportions can afford putting way less effort and still look great. Genetics is unfair by default...

• Like 1
Take a typical flat chested and wiry 110/120 lb woman, get her to squat some to get her glutes to pop, add a boob job, and its like a miraculous transformation..:laugh:

Genetics sure are important, no doubt, but don't discount the impact of a good boob job on the right type of woman...

TFY

LOL plastic surgery obviously can change proportions... I was thinking more to 'natural' measures like exercise of 'healthy' (whatever people refer to) eating.

I have issues with boob jobs because to me they are always too obvious but I'm not a guy so can't judge on their effect on sex appeal.

Is add-2-cups bra reasonable substitute for a clothed woman? These look too fake to me too but change proportions...