Great female bodies, lifestyle or genes?

Says 166 views, I'm guessing about 100 are women.

In a site where arguably 2/3 active posters are female, this makes logical sense. Not sure what the point is though....I think many of us look at most posts.

I think a lot of women put pressure on themselves to look like the best looking women out there. They aren't trying to be their best but more what they see on TV or look the way the majority of males think makes a woman "hot". That's why all of this botox and plastic surgery exists these days. Everyone seems to be so vain.

I think that Hollywood and US Television has a lot to do with it as well.

I don't know how often you watch UK TV and movies, but you may have noticed that they are cast very differently to the US. In the US, everyone is beautiful except those who have oddball personalities - but in the UK, most of the cast look like regular people.

When we're surrounded by Beautiful People in so many facets of the media, it's understandably hard for some to keep perspective.

• Author
But for one to get through all the effort to the result, they must love and embrace the pain and suffering to get there.

I don't know if this is relevant any more. But FWIW I don't go to a gym but exercise at home. (I don't know what the women I posted about do. I know that lots of people prefer gym memberships for various reasons. I assume those reasons have as much to do with self-motivation as the apparatus but that is purely speculative on my part.) To me the 'cost' of exercise is the TIME commitment. There is no pain or suffering to love or embrace. It's just another time-consuming 'chore' whose purpose is to improve something. I compare it to mowing the lawn, raking the leaves, shoveling the snow, or weeding the garden. Exercise does have to be done more often than those other chores though.

thefooloftheyear

The feeling of regret I get when I occasionally miss days. FAR outweighs any pain I have ever endured in my training regimen..

But that's me.....I am a bit of a wack job...:laugh:

TFY

• Like 1
The feeling of regret I get when I occasionally miss days. FAR outweighs any pain I have ever endured in my training regimen..

TFY

And that's the attitude which brings success. If I miss a day at the gym, I feel guilt for about 10 seconds and then I get over it.

However, the thing I put a lot of work into is sewing. Others say "I wish I could sew" and I tell them how much work and learning and swearing I put into it and they'll tell me they don't want it that much. It's all about how much we want the goal

• Like 1
I don't know if this is relevant any more. But FWIW I don't go to a gym but exercise at home. (I don't know what the women I posted about do. I know that lots of people prefer gym memberships for various reasons. I assume those reasons have as much to do with self-motivation as the apparatus but that is purely speculative on my part.) To me the 'cost' of exercise is the TIME commitment. There is no pain or suffering to love or embrace. It's just another time-consuming 'chore' whose purpose is to improve something. I compare it to mowing the lawn, raking the leaves, shoveling the snow, or weeding the garden. Exercise does have to be done more often than those other chores though.

I guess I should say that we're talking about suffering in the Buddhist sense. It's about embracing the hard work - the good, the bad and the ugly. Thing is, I bet when you exercise, you feel muscle pain and exhaustion. You know what it is to push through the barriers. To YOU this is enjoyable. To someone else, it may be horrible.

Comparing it to housework is actually very accurate. Some of us are highly motivated by the sight of a clean and tidy house. Other's don't care enough to slog through the work.

• Like 1

TFY

This. Make something a part of your life for long enough and it becomes a part of who you are. It's not so much that lifting weights or running is particularly fun, but the sense of accomplishment or well being afterwards compared to the guilt of not going is significant.

It's like deciding whether or not to eat a box of chocolates. Sure, it's more enjoyable to eat them. But you won't feel better about yourself afterwards. Some people are more able than others to put off short term pleasure/comfort for longer term benefit. The more you practice, the stronger your willpower gets.

You only get one body, and when it stops working you're dead. I think that's a pretty good reason to look after it to the best of my ability, but each to their own. Everyone has to make their own call for what an acceptable amount of looking after it means for them.

• Like 1
Threads like these, and articles in the media, TV shows, real-life conversations.....are exactly why women are so insecure about their bodies. To have the scrutiny, down to minute details, that we're put under on a daily basis confirmed is very anxiety-producing, disheartening, and degrading.

Exactly. I'm in my 40's and not a day goes by that I don't stare into the mirror and assess everything that is flawed. Women my age are constantly told we are past our prime and really should be ashamed of aging. So much so that they should FIGHT aging like it's a monster.

Well, I'm aging. I'm fighting aging but aging is winning. Once it loses I die. The media doesn't mention that.

• Like 1
I think that Hollywood and US Television has a lot to do with it as well.

I don't know how often you watch UK TV and movies, but you may have noticed that they are cast very differently to the US. In the US, everyone is beautiful except those who have oddball personalities - but in the UK, most of the cast look like regular people.

When we're surrounded by Beautiful People in so many facets of the media, it's understandably hard for some to keep perspective.

But Beautiful People have always been in the media/hollywood/movies. As a matter of fact, IMHO, they were even more beautiful back then. Why now, does everyone feel entitled to look like them or get depressed, anxious, starve themselves, plastic surgery, botox, etc.? Back then, people accepted the fact that some people in this world are beautiful and some of us aren't and that's just the way it is.

Exactly. I'm in my 40's and not a day goes by that I don't stare into the mirror and assess everything that is flawed. Women my age are constantly told we are past our prime and really should be ashamed of aging. So much so that they should FIGHT aging like it's a monster.

Well, I'm aging. I'm fighting aging but aging is winning. Once it loses I die. The media doesn't mention that.

We are all aging and everyday we get closer to old age. This is nothing new. It is okay to be past your prime but not be ashamed of aging. It is a normal process of life. If we constantly dwell on the lost of youth we will constantly be frustrated because no amount of plastic surgery, botox or fitness program is going to hold back what is promised to each of us. We can do our best to try to stay healthy but we cannot hold back the aging process. That is why I tell young people to enjoy and don't waste their youth. Every dog has it's day and this day belongs to them.

We are all aging and everyday we get closer to old age. This is nothing new. It is okay to be past your prime but not be ashamed of aging. It is a normal process of life. If we constantly dwell on the lost of youth we will constantly be frustrated because no amount of plastic surgery, botox or fitness program is going to hold back what is promised to each of us. We can do our best to try to stay healthy but we cannot hold back the aging process. That is why I tell young people to enjoy and don't waste their youth. Every dog has it's day and this day belongs to them.

It's a whole other ballgame for men than women.

I'm not going to give examples we all know it's true.

• Like 1

Since getting married 10 years ago I gained over 30 pounds. My husband, bless his heart, says it's because he's so sweet.

Last year I worked my tail off with diet & exercise to drop 25 pounds. My goal was to wear a bikini on my 50th birthday & I did it. But I was hangry all the time. I was obsessed with every morsel I put in my mouth & made myself crazy. I was supposed to maintain a 1200 calorie a day diet but there were days when my obsession got the better of me & I'd eat less then 800 calories which is very dangerous. I had anorexia as college student & saw those behaviors resurfacing.

So after I accomplished my goal, I went back to enjoying life: having a few drinks, eating dessert & not obsessively weighing all my food or counting the calories. The weight all came back. I have a belly but you know what? I'm a middle aged woman & gosh darn I look like one. I no longer have the flat stomach of a 20 year old. I wear 2 piece bathing suits, dresses with rushing & other figure flattering stitching, and floaty tops that camouflage my tummy.

I suppose I could go back to the obsession but I was so miserable. It really sucked all the fun out of life.

• Like 1
It's a whole other ballgame for men than women.

I'm not going to give examples we all know it's true.

You are correct but that is changing also. Women are becoming more financially independent and I've noticed the ones who are single (with a lot of money) typically chose younger men for partners. Not much different than men with money; but the fact is age will get them too in the end.

• Like 1
Since getting married 10 years ago I gained over 30 pounds. My husband, bless his heart, says it's because he's so sweet.

Last year I worked my tail off with diet & exercise to drop 25 pounds. My goal was to wear a bikini on my 50th birthday & I did it. But I was hangry all the time. I was obsessed with every morsel I put in my mouth & made myself crazy. I was supposed to maintain a 1200 calorie a day diet but there were days when my obsession got the better of me & I'd eat less then 800 calories which is very dangerous. I had anorexia as college student & saw those behaviors resurfacing.

So after I accomplished my goal, I went back to enjoying life: having a few drinks, eating dessert & not obsessively weighing all my food or counting the calories. The weight all came back. I have a belly but you know what? I'm a middle aged woman & gosh darn I look like one. I no longer have the flat stomach of a 20 year old. I wear 2 piece bathing suits, dresses with rushing & other figure flattering stitching, and floaty tops that camouflage my tummy.

I suppose I could go back to the obsession but I was so miserable. It really sucked all the fun out of life.

I never diet but usually watch what I eat. Fact is no matter how thin you are you still age and as you get older your face looks better when your a bit heavier.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

This is true for me as well. If I want to get the body I desire there is no fun in it at all and I have to almost starve myself with fewer than 1200 calories a day. And maintaining it requires the same amount of food deprivation. Meanwhile I have a friend who eats burgers and fries every time we go out and is a size 0 or 2 with her naturally slender boned "dancer's body."

I never diet but usually watch what I eat. Fact is no matter how thin you are you still age and as you get older your face looks better when your a bit heavier.

My husband thinks women look better with some weight as we age. The same for men.

thefooloftheyear
My husband thinks women look better with some weight as we age. The same for men.

To each his own....The day I can't look straight down and see my feet and my dick, I think I will check out of this life...:laugh:

TFY

• Like 1
littleblackheart

Great bodies = a ton of free time, a ton of sacrifices and a ton of dedication. For those who have good genes, it just takes regular maintenance.

Maybe that age-range you're interested in has the luxury of being able to look after themselves as a priority? Empty nest (for most), well established, time and disposable income?

Those (men and women) who have 'great bodies' in my age-range (40s) are a combination of not working, kids-free, single or at the very least have minimal daily responsibilities.

I'm healthy and have zero hangups. A great body doesn't even register in my top 10 priority list in life; I have better things to do with my time.

Great bodies = a ton of free time, a ton of sacrifices and a ton of dedication. For those who have good genes, it just takes regular maintenance.

Maybe that age-range you're interested in has the luxury of being able to look after themselves as a priority? Empty nest (for most), well established, time and disposable income?

Those (men and women) who have 'great bodies' in my age-range (40s) are a combination of not working, kids-free, single or at the very least have minimal daily responsibilities.

I'm healthy and have zero hangups. A great body doesn't even register in my top 10 priority list in life; I have better things to do with my time.

Yes, I do have time so of course I work out.Not crazy but I have a lot of free weights and I'll do different types of cardio. Most of my best exercise is working outside and training pit bulls (shelter volunteer ATM.)

I wish I was one of those women who just didn't care about her looks but I do.

littleblackheart
Yes, I do have time so of course I work out.Not crazy but I have a lot of free weights and I'll do different types of cardio. Most of my best exercise is working outside and training pit bulls (shelter volunteer ATM.)

I wish I was one of those women who just didn't care about her looks but I do.

Most of us care about our looks I guess, to the extent that we care about our health. To me, being of healthy body and mind is enough. Specific muscle definition or anything beyond being secure and comfortable in my own skin sounds like spending time I don't have for little return.

That said, if working out makes you feel good about yourself and helps you have a healthy mind, it's totally worth it for yourself. Looks like you're doing it the natural way anyway :).

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Not having the time is the oldest excuse in history....You make the time....If most people spent half the time they waste on the net/fb/forums and other social media getting to the gym and actually going to work, they could probably be champions or have exactly the body or level of fitness they want....And just because you go to the gym, if you spend that time as well on your smartphone or talking to other people, then you aren't even getting anything done there either...

There are no excuses, really....Either you want it or you don't...its as simple as that...;)

TFY

• Like 2
littleblackheart
Not having the time is the oldest excuse in history....You make the time....If most people spent half the time they waste on the net/fb/forums and other social media getting to the gym and actually going to work, they could probably be champions or have exactly the body or level of fitness they want....And just because you go to the gym, if you spend that time as well on your smartphone or talking to other people, then you aren't even getting anything done there either...

There are no excuses, really....Either you want it or you don't...its as simple as that...;)

TFY

I already have the body I want so I don't need to waste time at the gym ;)

I prefer doing all the other things I do - I find it a much better use of my free time.

Great bodies = a ton of free time

Unless you want to be like a supermodel (in that case, you have to spend a ton of time fine-tuning an already fit body), I actually think having too much time can make one gain weight. Personally, when I’m really busy, I just don’t have the time to “enjoy” foods as much; in addition, being busy requires physical and/or mental exertion, which consumes energy/calories. So I tend to lose weight when I don’t have a ton of free time. If you just want to maintain a healthy weight, eating right is much more important than being a gym rat.

Edited by JuneL
  • Like 2
littleblackheart
Unless you want to be like a supermodel (in that case, you have to spend a ton of time fine-tuning an already fit body), I actually think having too much time can make one gain weight. Personally, when I’m really busy, I just don’t have the time to “enjoy” foods as much; in addition, being busy requires physical and/or mental exertion. So I tend to lose weight when I don’t have a ton of free time. If you just want to maintain a healthy weight, eating right is much more important than being a gym rat.

I agree, I meant a ton a free time to train at the gym for specific muscle definition and whatever is required to have a 'great body' as I said in my post. I don't have that sort of time. They say 80% food and 20% exercise to be healthy. Suits me fine.

(apologies to the OP, seems like we're veering way off track).

thefooloftheyear
. If you just want to maintain a healthy weight, eating right is much more important than being a gym rat.

Disagree...

A fit body consumes calories FAR more efficiently than a soft and out of shape one...even when sleeping...Imagine eating practically anything you want(within reason) and not gaining a significant amount of weight...It just takes more calories to support a fit body, so you are really never or rarely are, in a hunger situation...

I say to people that its easier to get conditioned to training, then being strict with a diet on a day in and day out basis.....I don't regularly eat pizza, but I am at a point where I won't sweat eating 4-5 slices a sitting and have absolutely no guilt whatsoever...Because it will have about as much of an effect on my body as a salad would...

But if you don't like exercise, or can't deal with the pain(sigh), then its a moot point...Stick to the greens and rice cakes and wallow in guilt over a bite of cheesecake....Its everyone's choice...;)

TFY