Adventurers, they're everywhere

Yes, I have also chatted with some of the wonderlusters and they were quite boring people. One guy in particular, he had pictures from a particularly exotic place, I think it was Madagascar, and I asked some questions about it and he couldn't tell me much about the culture or the language. But hey, he took some pictures with the lemurs.

On the other hand, a guy I tried dating in spring, he has done so much traveling during his life and there are almost no pictures of it on his social medias. But he has gotten amazing insights from his travels and had stories to tell that were actually interesting, like about differences in people's mentalities, beliefs, habits.

So yeah, I agree - the less they try to upkeep the image of the crazy adventurous traveler, the more likely it is that they're actually into exploring the world and not just getting cool shots of themselves to attract attention.

On the side note, ahere's also another thing many OLD guys brag about in my city - sometimes the only thing written in their profile text is the area they live in, if it's a luxurious area. Like wow, of all things, that is what defines you? But I guess it's just one more way to show off financial wealth, along with travel shots

Guys who brag about money typically have little else to offer. I recall one girl I dated had a guy offer to buy her a car...ANY CAR...in order to date him.

She seemed to prefer me for some reason. In her case, I would have gone with a Porsche :lmao:

I think it's generational maybe? See when I was online I was late 40s and men in my age group did a different type of bragging but it was still bragging. They had maybe 1 picture of them then you could go through 12 pictures of their boat, motorcycle, their swimming pool, their camper or cottage, etc. I think any kind of bragging online is to compensate for something..... I am thinking their personality and qualities may not be enough to attract a woman so they compensate with over-exposing their trip or things.

Once I was contacted by a man that had pictures of all his toys on his profile and went on and on about the joy of riding his Harley. I replied thank you for his interest but I didn't like riding motorcycles and it didn't fit in my life style. He replied he just put that up so big women don't contact him. Could there be a reason like this behind those travelers of yours? They spread it thick so only *active* women will contact them?

Cookiesandough

Sorry if this has already been said. I haven't read the entirety of the thread. Maybe you live in a touristy location? I've noticed way over 1/2 of people write something about "adventure" or "travel" in their profile, but I always figured that was because they think being worldly or well traveled is an attractive trait about themselves. However, with these people I never got the impression they were trying to say they were vagrants or drifters, just that they liked to experience new things.

Where did I say that I straight up told someone their travel stories bore me? Yes, my housemates asked me if I also have similar "fun stories" to tell, to which I replied "no, I'm lucky, cause I have never had any misadventures while traveling and hope it will stay that way". And no, I didn't say it in an unfriendly tone. How would you have reacted? Should I be happy that one of those girls almost got kidnapped? The story was terrifying, makes me think that this "the world is my oyster" attitude can get some people in trouble. Traveling should be done with caution which these adventurer types might not have

Fair enough. Your initial post mentioned "travel stories", not just the misadventures, hence the awkward assumption.

I agree that people should be more careful when they travel, but frankly I think most people could stand to be more careful with most things, including mundane daily stuff like driving or consuming supplements.

This is interesting to read, and maybe it's related to geographic place, but I have had trouble finding people who are actually interested in traveling and a more "on the go" type of lifestyle. Most seem to want the 'steady' life style of settling down, buying property and cars, having babies and 9-5 office jobs, not wanting to leave the area they were born and raised in. I'm in a similar age range as you.

I wonder if you are in a more metropolitan area (or near any sort of popular holiday place where these travelers pass by looking for fleeting company) and that's why, because I'm not in a heavily populated area or an area where younger people come to travel.

Edit: I like to travel because it helps me gain perspective on and understand the rest of the world. It provides me enrichment and intellectual nourishment as well as an appreciation for the beauty and struggles of this world we live in. I'm very interested in nature and ecology and I like to experience these things elsewhere than my own country, too, which doesn't have great biological diversity tbh. I like meeting new people on my travels and interacting with them. I don't post about it or talk about it unless asked, it's mostly a personal thing to me - but other people who have asked oftentimes make responses as if they attach extra value to traveling. I don't think traveling in itself makes someone more interesting; people travel in different ways and for different purposes. It's the foundation of what drives traveling that makes someone interesting, the curiosity to understand and explore and not be stagnant. Someone having a curiosity in them that reaches outside their own world is very attractive to me, whether that drives them to travel, or read, or hike, or working on improving certain skills. Somebody who had a mix of an outward reaching sense of curiosity and a need for being a homebody at times would be ideal.

One of my pet peeves, however, are those people who comfortably sit at home in their bought house without any noteworthy issues, being racist or acting like they know all about how the rest of the world is supposed to work, and why don't those damn countries just do better instead of messing ours up?! Such an ignorant, uninformed attitude compared with being a homebody is just completely off-putting and makes me want to drag them out of their comfort zone to see how some people are struggling with even basic comforts.

I agree completely. I think there are many possible reasons why someone might travel - perhaps on OLD showing off is a big motivator, but I and most people I know travel for the sheer joy of it. One of the things I like best about traveling is how you learn things that completely topple the assumptions we all make about "how things are" or things that we take for granted. Even the little things, like noticing how it's almost impossible to buy groceries in Austria on a Sunday, whereas in places like the US, grocery shops are open every day almost till midnight. Seeing how night time entertainment varies so much in various countries. The different advertisements and laws surrounding them - I hadn't imagined that advertising prescription medicine would be legal anywhere until I visited the US! How everyone walks so fast in Singapore, whereas in New Zealand or central Europe everyone is pretty much strolling. The different public transport systems - from almost nonexistent to perfectly timed and almost ubiquitous. How everyone boils their water in Southeast Asia but you'd find it difficult to even find a room with a kettle in it in much of Europe.

Traveling is actually pretty difficult for me - I naturally like lounging at home a lot, have difficulty sleeping in a new bed, a fear of flying, several allergies, etc. But whenever I push myself out of my comfort zone and do it, I find that it is so very, very worth it.

Edited by Elswyth

I work to live.

Who wants to see photos of them on the other 345 days of the year when they're ironing, washing the car, grocery shopping, sleeping.. Actually evidence of being capable of doing housework and errands is highly valuable too. Wouldn't want someone who is all play, no work. But these are the things you discover when you actually get to know a person.

It doesn't take much effort to swipe left.

• Author
I work to live.

Who wants to see photos of them on the other 345 days of the year when they're ironing, washing the car, grocery shopping, sleeping.. Actually evidence of being capable of doing housework and errands is highly valuable too. Wouldn't want someone who is all play, no work. But these are the things you discover when you actually get to know a person.

"I work to live" - to each their own, of course, but that sounds like a sad existence to me personally.

"Who wants to see photos of them on the other 345 days of the year when they're ironing, washing the car, grocery shopping, sleeping" - so it's either going on crazy adventures or doing the chores? There's no way a person can sneak in some fun and self-development in between of ironing and washing the car? There's a lot of things one can do to make most of the days worth living for, not just try to survive through the work days until you're allowed to go "live a little"

I swipe left, smiley, doesnt mean I can't talk about them.

• Author
I work to live.

Oh, forgot to add that this must be why some people automatically assume you're boring, if you don't travel much. They have a hard time imagining that there's life in-between the travels, in shape of meaningful and fulfilling hobbies and small goals that give purpose. They must assume that a life of a non-traveler (or someone who travels more sparingly) revolves around the mundane, like some other poster also told me to go do the chores, if I prefer :D (it got edited by the moderator though).

"Who wants to see photos of them on the other 345 days of the year when they're ironing, washing the car, grocery shopping, sleeping" - so it's either going on crazy adventures or doing the chores? There's no way a person can sneak in some fun and self-development in between of ironing and washing the car? There's a lot of things one can do to make most of the days worth living for, not just try to survive through the work days until you're allowed to go "live a little"

I'm glad you got my point.

• Like 1
Oh, forgot to add that this must be why some people automatically assume you're boring, if you don't travel much. They have a hard time imagining that there's life in-between the travels, in shape of meaningful and fulfilling hobbies and small goals that give purpose. They must assume that a life of a non-traveler (or someone who travels more sparingly) revolves around the mundane, like some other poster also told me to go do the chores, if I prefer :D (it got edited by the moderator though).

Is this directed at me? I don't travel much. I collect coins and play piano for fun. I just don't take issue with other people enjoying life in ways different to mine. I don't know if people think I'm boring and frankly don't care. You just sound bitter and jealous.

• Like 1
  • Author
Is this directed at me? I don't travel much. I collect coins and play piano for fun. I just don't take issue with other people enjoying life in ways different to mine. I don't know if people think I'm boring and frankly don't care. You just sound bitter and jealous.

Yeah, just throw the jealous card. You seem to completely misunderstand the point of the entire thread which I explained over and over again, gave examples of what kind of profile I find shallow and bragging and why. But yes, just make it out to be me hating on people who enjoy life in ways different than mine.

Btw, I'm a pianist myself, so cheers.

Yeah, just throw the jealous card. You seem to completely misunderstand the point of the entire thread which I explained over and over again, gave examples of what kind of profile I find shallow and bragging and why. But yes, just make it out to be me hating on people who enjoy life in ways different than mine.

I don't understand why you keep falling back on the profile thing when you literally JUST said ""I work to live" - to each their own, of course, but that sounds like a sad existence to me personally." :confused: What does this have to do with profiles????

You can't just blame people for not focusing on OLD profiles when other people (and in your most recent post, yourself) aren't doing that.

• Author
I don't understand why you keep falling back on the profile thing when you literally JUST said ""I work to live" - to each their own, of course, but that sounds like a sad existence to me personally." :confused: What does this have to do with profiles????

You can't just blame people for not focusing on OLD profiles when other people (and in your most recent post, yourself) aren't doing that.

What? I don't understand what you even mean

• 2 weeks later...
Interstellar
Thanks, you managed to put my feelings into words which I wasn't able to do.

Exactly! Nowadays if you're traveling you're automatically an interesting person. You could have no skills or personal achievements otherwise but wow, you went to all these countries, how amazing. I can play an interment, sing, draw and whatnot but hey I haven't been to Bali or Thailand and haven't tried skydiving so I guess I'm not as cool.

It's like a way for them to seem interesting on the outside, but there's often not much to it. At least the profiles normally don't list more than that and the ones I talked to seemed pretty bland and didn't have much to say.

Ok, not everyone's like that and some people do genuinely love to explore the world and they're skilled and have done amazing things in life, but I can guarantee that they are humbled by their experiences and don't like bragging about the number of countries they've been to.

So if I was born and raised in an Asian country does my street cred go up? :D:o

You made an interesting observation and it’s something to ponder on. Nowadays people have a 3-5 second attention span and if you don’t get it then move on to the next profile. So basically less is more? I’ve always been a believer in that as well, and the whole getting to know someone face to face thing.

Ahh, I have more thoughts on this...but it’s better to put that to rest for now. I agree with your point though and it’s something I’ll keep in mind if I get around to putting a profile up.

Edited by Interstellar

Admittedly, I have not read this thread. Try changing your location to Colorado and take a look. Aside from all of the travel stuff you'll find that basically everyone defines themselves through their outdoor recreation.

Which is cool at all. But I have never contacted a woman because of a photo of her standing on top of a 14er or holding a trout.