Adventurers, they're everywhere

• Author

Another example, a profile I came across today -

He didn't have so many "look at how crazy I am" type of pictures, but in his profile text, he wrote "going on a trip with an adventure included every month" and then went ahead listing each month and where he's going on that month, until like May 2019. And you'll tell me it's not bragging?

For the record, yes I'm skipping those profile and no I'm not gonna tell anyone how to live life. This is a thread of me talking about the type of people I strongly dislike on OLD and expressing annoyance that there are so many of them.

• Like 1
Another example, a profile I came across today -

He didn't have so many "look at how crazy I am" type of pictures, but in his profile text, he wrote "going on a trip with an adventure included every month" and then went ahead listing each month and where he's going on that month, until like May 2019. And you'll tell me it's not bragging?

For the record, yes I'm skipping those profile and no I'm not gonna tell anyone how to live life. This is a thread of me talking about the type of people I strongly dislike on OLD and expressing annoyance that there are so many of them.

Yeah it sounds pretty desperate attempt to show 'interesting' life.

Everyone has pet peeves - for me when I was OLD it was dudes putting pictures with friends drinking beer or doing sports. I'd run right away from these but I heard other people like this type of photos...

I love that you posted this because I was just thinking about this tonight.

So, for me, I have agoraphobia - highly functional in that I can go most places in my city, hold down a job, travel once in a while to see family - and while I'm in therapy and working on getting better at travelling, I'm still not at all great at it.

When I do OLD, I feel so ****ty because I feel like MOST guys are, as you say, all about "finding my adventure partner". In fact one guys wrote on his profile, "If you don't like travel, you're a loser", which says more about him than anything, but I was like, uh, yeah, guess my high paying job, awesome communication skills, hot body, friendly demeanor and wide-ranging intellectual capacity mean nothing if I can't go hang on some beach in Cali. Whatevs bro.

I joke (I know there are men who are just looking for a nice girl to cuddle up with at home and do local travel) but it does stress me out when an otherwise great guy and great match dumps me because I can't travel (it has happened). I feel like it didn't used to be like this. People are seemingly obsessed with travel, and the reason for that is wealth. People just couldn't travel in the past and they do now and some love it and some are showing off. But the fact is, I do feel we've started to strongly associate the capacity for travel with the capacity for open-mindedness or interestingness, and they are not the same thing.

• Author

So, for me, I have agoraphobia - highly functional in that I can go most places in my city, hold down a job, travel once in a while to see family - and while I'm in therapy and working on getting better at travelling, I'm still not at all great at it.

When I do OLD, I feel so ****ty because I feel like MOST guys are, as you say, all about "finding my adventure partner". In fact one guys wrote on his profile, "If you don't like travel, you're a loser", which says more about him than anything, but I was like, uh, yeah, guess my high paying job, awesome communication skills, hot body, friendly demeanor and wide-ranging intellectual capacity mean nothing if I can't go hang on some beach in Cali. Whatevs bro.

I joke (I know there are men who are just looking for a nice girl to cuddle up with at home and do local travel) but it does stress me out when an otherwise great guy and great match dumps me because I can't travel (it has happened). I feel like it didn't used to be like this. People are seemingly obsessed with travel, and the reason for that is wealth. People just couldn't travel in the past and they do now and some love it and some are showing off. But the fact is, I do feel we've started to strongly associate the capacity for travel with the capacity for open-mindedness or interestingness, and they are not the same thing.

Thanks, you managed to put my feelings into words which I wasn't able to do.

Exactly! Nowadays if you're traveling you're automatically an interesting person. You could have no skills or personal achievements otherwise but wow, you went to all these countries, how amazing. I can play an interment, sing, draw and whatnot but hey I haven't been to Bali or Thailand and haven't tried skydiving so I guess I'm not as cool.

It's like a way for them to seem interesting on the outside, but there's often not much to it. At least the profiles normally don't list more than that and the ones I talked to seemed pretty bland and didn't have much to say.

Ok, not everyone's like that and some people do genuinely love to explore the world and they're skilled and have done amazing things in life, but I can guarantee that they are humbled by their experiences and don't like bragging about the number of countries they've been to.

Btw, I can sympathize with your agoraphobia mossycup, I don't have it, but otherwise I'm super uncomfortable with air travel and there's always the need to work very hard on controlling my fear. It complicates traveling quite a lot. Also I'm super anxious about leaving my cats and it just adds to it.

Ahhh, sheeple , transparently bore me to tears , so do travel stories, yada yada yada.

Any clown can get on a plane. :bunny:

To me it's usually an indication they can't do much else.

ps, but eh, they did travel.

Edited by Chilli

IMO, OLD inherently focuses on the superficial, and this is one outcome of it. You guys are likely finding lots of obnoxious "adventurers" on OLD because it's OLD, not because they claim to be "adventurers".

Ahhh, sheeple , transparently bore me to tears , so do travel stories, yada yada yada.

Any "clown" can also pick up a book, go to the gym, buy nice clothes, have lots of sex, or watch movies. Does that invalidate everyone who does any of that, does it make anyone who wants a compatible partner a "sheeple"? :confused: (FTR, I myself love a good book.)

I have honestly never viewed people who disliked traveling as "uninteresting" or "close-minded", but that was before I read this thread and was astounded by the immensely close-minded negative views about people who are just doing what they love. I think someone's life must be really lacking, if they find so much joy in dissing people solely for their choice of hobbies that doesn't negatively affect them or anyone else. If I was still in the dating stage, this thread would certainly make me much more wary about dating a non-traveler.

• Like 3
  • Author
Any "clown" can also pick up a book, go to the gym, buy nice clothes, have lots of sex, or watch movies. Does that invalidate everyone who does any of that, does it make anyone who wants a compatible partner a "sheeple"? :confused: (FTR, I myself love a good book.)

I have honestly never viewed people who disliked traveling as "uninteresting" or "close-minded", but that was before I read this thread and was astounded by the immensely close-minded negative views about people who are just doing what they love. I think someone's life must be really lacking, if they find so much joy in dissing people solely for their choice of hobbies that doesn't negatively affect them or anyone else. If I was still in the dating stage, this thread would certainly make me much more wary about dating a non-traveler.

I said it three times already and it's getting a bit old - this is a thread about specifically the bragging type who give out a shallow vibe otherwise and I both gave examples of what kind of profiles irritates me and even specificied that there are most certainly great people who like to travel but that they will probably not create these type of profiles. What you wrote here is twisting my views. Besides, just because you never found people, who aren't that much into traveling, automatically boring, doesnt nullify the fact that I've experienced this attitude from others. I was dissed a few times for choosing drawing class as my next adventure and that is just one example.

Well it ain't mine l can tell you that much , mine would make most peoples hair curl. Your missing the point, it's not all.

ps , nothing close minded , have done much and known many but eh , feel free to be impressed by whatever impresses you

Edited by Chilli
I said it three times already and it's getting a bit old - this is a thread about specifically the bragging type who give out a shallow vibe otherwise and I both gave examples of what kind of profiles irritates me and even specificied that there are most certainly great people who like to travel but that they will probably not create these type of profiles. What you wrote here is twisting my views. Besides, just because you never found people, who aren't that much into traveling, automatically boring, doesnt nullify the fact that I've experienced this attitude from others. I was dissed a few times for choosing drawing class as my next adventure and that is just one example.

I was not talking about you, though. As I said, I understand what you mean about the shallow profiles.

Well it ain't mine l can tell you that much , mine would make most peoples hair curl. Your missing the point, it's not all.

ps , nothing close minded , have done much and known many but eh , feel free to be impressed by whatever impresses you

You're so wrapped up in "impressing people" or "being impressed by people" that you think everyone thinks the same way as you do - which probably explains the warped views that you have about people with different hobbies than you. Some of us just live our lives the way we want to, and support others who do the same. Nothing about "impressions". :rolleyes:

• Like 1
You're so wrapped up in "impressing people" or "being impressed by people" that you think everyone thinks the same way as you do - which probably explains the warped views that you have about people with different hobbies than you. Some of us just live our lives the way we want to, and support others who do the same. Nothing about "impressions". :rolleyes:

Think you have to see the profiles to understand what people are talking about here.

As a dude mostly dating in NYC, the “wanderlust better than you” profiles were rampant and exhausting. I would say over 90% of the female profiles had it stated up front “I’ve got x passports!” “Been to X countries this year” “Looking for a travel partner!” “Bitten by the Wunderlust bug!” Etc.

It’s so common people might as well list “I like breathing!”

I went out on a date with a chick who was nearly lecturing me for not traveling enough. I dated other world travelers who didn’t have a pot to piss in as a result of their adventures, yet thought I was stupid for owning a house. I dated another who would constantly brag about her travels.

It’s not that they like like to travel, it’s how they come across like they are better than you because they do. Many often feel the need to one-up every other traveler.

The other factor that’s frustrating, as a non-Wunderlust dater, is the sheer volume of people who can’t understand why some people might not like it. Sitting in an airport for hours and on a plane to some country that may not have cured the plague is not everyone’s idea of a great time. It’s fine if you do, but don’t think people are weird if they don’t.

Every time I would hear about how some far off land/culture is so fantastic and so much better I would say “Why don’t you move there?” Never got a good answer for that.

I longed for the day when I would read a profile that stated an attractive woman was a home body and preferred to stay in and watch movies. That never happened on OLD.

What I question for these non stop OLD travelers is 1) How can you plan to have a relationship if you are always traveling? 2) Are you actually running away from your life? 3) Why aren’t all these Wunderlusters connecting?

I’m sure some are embellishing, but travel/adventure has become as common as “foodie”. I feel like the majority of OLD singles are travelers who love to eat. Is that why they are single or took it up as a result of being single?

• Like 1

The best pics I have are those were I was on vacation. They're outdoors I have one where I'm in Oz petty a kangaroo. I don't have much text about it, just saying I visit family there once a year. All I can say is it difficult to get my matches to want to meet in person and these type of pics do much better for guys than indoor or car selfies.

To answer the OP's question I'm not trying to escape from reality, I'm just trying to gets dates. Sorry you don't like it. I have no idea in the heck you ladies want. I'm the US and I've used OLD in a few different regional cities. Something like 95 percent of the ladies I match with want nothing more than a pen pal. Some never reply at all, which is fine, but why in the heck did they swipe right.

Edited by jay1983
The best pics I have are those were I was on vacation. They're outdoors I have one where I'm in Oz petty a kangaroo. I don't have much text about it, just saying I visit family there once a year. All I can say is it difficult to get my matches to want to meet in person and these type of pics do much better for guys than indoor or car selfies.

To answer the OP's question I'm not trying to escape from reality, I'm just trying to gets dates. Sorry you don't like it. I have no idea in the heck you ladies want. I'm the US and I've used OLD in a few different regional cities. Something like 95 percent of the ladies I match with want nothing more than a pen pal. Some never reply at all, which is fine, but why in the heck did they swipe right.

If you figure that out, please let all of us know! :lmao:

OLD is a lot worse for guys. Many time wasters. I did manage to get a bunch but that was with a 2-3% success rate. The best I came up with is to cut them off early. Wishing 4-5 messages if I didn’t get a yes to a date request I deleted.

That was learned after wasting weeks texting for nothing.

On a good week about 9 or 10 till I get a face to face meet. On a bad one, it's close to a 20.

It's like they literally gave you their number to cyber friend zone you . Let you know you're okay, but not really worth their time. :lmao:

• Like 1
  • Author
Think you have to see the profiles to understand what people are talking about here.

As a dude mostly dating in NYC, the “wanderlust better than you” profiles were rampant and exhausting. I would say over 90% of the female profiles had it stated up front “I’ve got x passports!” “Been to X countries this year” “Looking for a travel partner!” “Bitten by the Wunderlust bug!” Etc.

I went out on a date with a chick who was nearly lecturing me for not traveling enough. I dated other world travelers who didn’t have a pot to piss in as a result of their adventures, yet thought I was stupid for owning a house. I dated another who would constantly brag about her travels.

It’s not that they like like to travel, it’s how they come across like they are better than you because they do. Many often feel the need to one-up every other traveler.

The other factor that’s frustrating, as a non-Wunderlust dater, is the sheer volume of people who can’t understand why some people might not like it. Sitting in an airport for hours and on a plane to some country that may not have cured the plague is not everyone’s idea of a great time. It’s fine if you do, but don’t think people are weird if they don’t.

Every time I would hear about how some far off land/culture is so fantastic and so much better I would say “Why don’t you move there?” Never got a good answer for that.

I longed for the day when I would read a profile that stated an attractive woman was a home body and preferred to stay in and watch movies. That never happened on OLD.

What I question for these non stop OLD travelers is 1) How can you plan to have a relationship if you are always traveling? 2) Are you actually running away from your life? 3) Why aren’t all these Wunderlusters connecting?

I’m sure some are embellishing, but travel/adventure has become as common as “foodie”. I feel like the majority of OLD singles are travelers who love to eat. Is that why they are single or took it up as a result of being single?

Can't agree more. My two housemates were sharing their travel stories and they didn't sound like something I wish I have experienced. When I told them that, they just looked at me weirdly like I have missed out on so much. Gosh, sorry that I don't find getting nearly kidnapped in India (that was one of the stories) so fun. I do love visiting foreign cities and nature, but less often and without the "adventures".

I ask myself those three questions as well. Wish they all could just pair up, but I guess it's impossible when none of them stays at one place for too long :D

As I mentioned to the OP, I understand re: the profiles and the braggarts.

I was responding SPECIFICALLY to the post I quoted, which is NOT about profiles or braggarts:

These OLD-ers certainly sound like a different breed. But most of the travelers I know travel with a partner, and have no issues finding one.

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 1
Can't agree more. My two housemates were sharing their travel stories and they didn't sound like something I wish I have experienced. When I told them that, they just looked at me weirdly like I have missed out on so much. Gosh, sorry that I don't find getting nearly kidnapped in India (that was one of the stories) so fun. I do love visiting foreign cities and nature, but less often and without the "adventures".

I ask myself those three questions as well. Wish they all could just pair up, but I guess it's impossible when none of them stays at one place for too long :D

Did they ASK you whether you wish you had experienced it? It sounds somewhat strange to just say this out of the blue. I mean, when my friends go on and on about their kids' first steps or their kids' first mama or their kids literally succeeding in rolling over in bed or whatever, I don't say "huh, what's the big deal about that?". I am happy for them, because clearly it makes them happy.

I DO understand wanting a compatible partner and therefore not wanting to be subjected to stories that bore you all day. But I think it's a bit awkward to straight up tell someone that their stories are boring to you.

MaleIntuition

Bragging, or rather; trying to sell yourself is pretty much the point of OLD. We find our best pictures and we try to write the most interesting profiles. Sure, some definitely overdo it. But from this thread it became fairly apparent that some really dislike traveling - therefore it makes more sense to communicate in your profile that you do like it?

The point I still don’t get is where the resentment is coming from? If somebodys main hobby was - I don’t know - cooking, and she went on about her hobby ie. different dishes she planned to try; I would consider that boring. But never would I consider it bragging: Because it’s only bragging if you attach value to that particular hobby. And adventure/traveling/exploration is clearly a mega-trend, therefore it s probably more likely to get you matches rather than your video game hobby, although they aren’t mutually exclusive.

• Like 1
  • Author
Did they ASK you whether you wish you had experienced it? It sounds somewhat strange to just say this out of the blue. I mean, when my friends go on and on about their kids' first steps or their kids' first mama or their kids literally succeeding in rolling over in bed or whatever, I don't say "huh, what's the big deal about that?". I am happy for them, because clearly it makes them happy.

I DO understand wanting a compatible partner and therefore not wanting to be subjected to stories that bore you all day. But I think it's a bit awkward to straight up tell someone that their stories are boring to you.

Where did I say that I straight up told someone their travel stories bore me? Yes, my housemates asked me if I also have similar "fun stories" to tell, to which I replied "no, I'm lucky, cause I have never had any misadventures while traveling and hope it will stay that way". And no, I didn't say it in an unfriendly tone. How would you have reacted? Should I be happy that one of those girls almost got kidnapped? The story was terrifying, makes me think that this "the world is my oyster" attitude can get some people in trouble. Traveling should be done with caution which these adventurer types might not have

• Author
Bragging, or rather; trying to sell yourself is pretty much the point of OLD. We find our best pictures and we try to write the most interesting profiles. Sure, some definitely overdo it. But from this thread it became fairly apparent that some really dislike traveling - therefore it makes more sense to communicate in your profile that you do like it?

The point I still don’t get is where the resentment is coming from? If somebodys main hobby was - I don’t know - cooking, and she went on about her hobby ie. different dishes she planned to try; I would consider that boring. But never would I consider it bragging: Because it’s only bragging if you attach value to that particular hobby. And adventure/traveling/exploration is clearly a mega-trend, therefore it s probably more likely to get you matches rather than your video game hobby, although they aren’t mutually exclusive.

Again twisting things. Where did the resentment come from?

It's my pet peeve in OLD and it doesn't mean I resent those people! Also, don't know how about other posters who expressed similar opinions, but I have already said that I like traveling, just not so much of it. It's not traveling that is the problem, it's the profiles and people's attitude of counting countries, listing where they're going every month (why date then, if you're away every month?) and telling the same thing as everyone else, like they don't have a mind of their own or anything else to say about themselves.

I've seen many rant threads where people talk about some particular thing in OLD that irks them.

This is interesting to read, and maybe it's related to geographic place, but I have had trouble finding people who are actually interested in traveling and a more "on the go" type of lifestyle. Most seem to want the 'steady' life style of settling down, buying property and cars, having babies and 9-5 office jobs, not wanting to leave the area they were born and raised in. I'm in a similar age range as you.

I wonder if you are in a more metropolitan area (or near any sort of popular holiday place where these travelers pass by looking for fleeting company) and that's why, because I'm not in a heavily populated area or an area where younger people come to travel.

Edit: I like to travel because it helps me gain perspective on and understand the rest of the world. It provides me enrichment and intellectual nourishment as well as an appreciation for the beauty and struggles of this world we live in. I'm very interested in nature and ecology and I like to experience these things elsewhere than my own country, too, which doesn't have great biological diversity tbh. I like meeting new people on my travels and interacting with them. I don't post about it or talk about it unless asked, it's mostly a personal thing to me - but other people who have asked oftentimes make responses as if they attach extra value to traveling. I don't think traveling in itself makes someone more interesting; people travel in different ways and for different purposes. It's the foundation of what drives traveling that makes someone interesting, the curiosity to understand and explore and not be stagnant. Someone having a curiosity in them that reaches outside their own world is very attractive to me, whether that drives them to travel, or read, or hike, or working on improving certain skills. Somebody who had a mix of an outward reaching sense of curiosity and a need for being a homebody at times would be ideal.

One of my pet peeves, however, are those people who comfortably sit at home in their bought house without any noteworthy issues, being racist or acting like they know all about how the rest of the world is supposed to work, and why don't those damn countries just do better instead of messing ours up?! Such an ignorant, uninformed attitude compared with being a homebody is just completely off-putting and makes me want to drag them out of their comfort zone to see how some people are struggling with even basic comforts.

Edited by Stillits
  • Like 1
lana-banana

There have been some really great and insightful posts in this thread. Well done, everyone.

I live in a major city with an extremely high proportion of transients). In my city, many people have jobs which require significant foreign travel; I did too when I was younger. But

when I was on OLD I saw the "always traveling" dudes all the time, guys bragging about their passports, their "wanderlust", pictures with wild animals, etc. But I did meet a few of them for dates and found the vast majority were nowhere near as obsessed with travel as their profiles made them seem. Generally, the harder they tried to sell the story, the less likely it was to be true. Yet as obnoxious as these guys were, the ones who bragged about their first class international flights were infinitely worse.

I think the "travel" hobby can be a bit of Peter Pan syndrome; a desire to seem cultured; an easy way to set goals (visit X countries by Y date); something to do to distract yourself from life's frustrations...there are all kinds of reasons, and none are inherently negative. Many people in that age range aren't in a position to afford a down payment on real estate, and international travel is much less expensive than it used to be. For some people it's more appealing to keep moving than to stay in one place where you aren't particularly successful or happy.

My male friends would want me to add that this isn't just about men, as other posters have noted. I had a buddy who would immediately skip over any woman posing on camelback.

• Author
This is interesting to read, and maybe it's related to geographic place, but I have had trouble finding people who are actually interested in traveling and a more "on the go" type of lifestyle. Most seem to want the 'steady' life style of settling down, buying property and cars, having babies and 9-5 office jobs, not wanting to leave the area they were born and raised in. I'm in a similar age range as you.

I wonder if you are in a more metropolitan area (or near any sort of popular holiday place where these travelers pass by looking for fleeting company) and that's why, because I'm not in a heavily populated area or an area where younger people come to travel.

I live in the capital of Sweden, it's a fairly wealthy country (I'm not Swedish). I can understand that the values here are quite different, but think Los Angeles and you won't be far off

Somebody who had a mix of an outward reaching sense of curiosity and a need for being a homebody at times would be ideal.

Same here. And I consider myself to be that kind of person as well, I am interested in history, different cultures, languages and I love being in nature, but I can also find joy in being at home or focusing on developing some personal skills. To understand why I consider that those adventurers are looking for a way to escape their reality would require knowing the mentality here - people's happiness are very conditional, depending on status things. It's a common observation among us immigrants.

• Author
There have been some really great and insightful posts in this thread. Well done, everyone.

I live in a major city with an extremely high proportion of transients). In my city, many people have jobs which require significant foreign travel; I did too when I was younger. But

when I was on OLD I saw the "always traveling" dudes all the time, guys bragging about their passports, their "wanderlust", pictures with wild animals, etc. But I did meet a few of them for dates and found the vast majority were nowhere near as obsessed with travel as their profiles made them seem. Generally, the harder they tried to sell the story, the less likely it was to be true. Yet as obnoxious as these guys were, the ones who bragged about their first class international flights were infinitely worse.

I think the "travel" hobby can be a bit of Peter Pan syndrome; a desire to seem cultured; an easy way to set goals (visit X countries by Y date); something to do to distract yourself from life's frustrations...there are all kinds of reasons, and none are inherently negative. Many people in that age range aren't in a position to afford a down payment on real estate, and international travel is much less expensive than it used to be. For some people it's more appealing to keep moving than to stay in one place where you aren't particularly successful or happy.

My male friends would want me to add that this isn't just about men, as other posters have noted. I had a buddy who would immediately skip over any woman posing on camelback.

Yes, I have also chatted with some of the wonderlusters and they were quite boring people. One guy in particular, he had pictures from a particularly exotic place, I think it was Madagascar, and I asked some questions about it and he couldn't tell me much about the culture or the language. But hey, he took some pictures with the lemurs.

On the other hand, a guy I tried dating in spring, he has done so much traveling during his life and there are almost no pictures of it on his social medias. But he has gotten amazing insights from his travels and had stories to tell that were actually interesting, like about differences in people's mentalities, beliefs, habits.

So yeah, I agree - the less they try to upkeep the image of the crazy adventurous traveler, the more likely it is that they're actually into exploring the world and not just getting cool shots of themselves to attract attention.

On the side note, ahere's also another thing many OLD guys brag about in my city - sometimes the only thing written in their profile text is the area they live in, if it's a luxurious area. Like wow, of all things, that is what defines you? But I guess it's just one more way to show off financial wealth, along with travel shots

• Like 1