I think he got the job!!

Happy Lemming

WOW!! That is really scary (quitting a job, before the offer comes through)

I can empathize, I've had really crappy jobs, but I didn't leave until I had the new job offer in hand. There was one job, I hated so much, that I didn't give two weeks notice and jumped into the new job the day after I received the offer, but I had only been working there a month.

Can your husband "temp"?? I remember "temping" for one agency, while I looked for a new job?? "Temping" wasn't great, but it did "keep the wolf away from the door"...

This is one of those "Don't count your chickens before they hatch" moments.

I guess all you can do is say a little prayer that he got the new job and the offer is forthcoming.

Fingers crossed!!

UpwardForward

As far as the 'respect' factor. I have always found it was more likely to have respect as an established experienced employee, than someone just coming onto the job site. In other words: What does he think it's going to be like on a new job .. instant respect?

I had thought his chances of getting this new job, were high .. Excepting for this latest development of the company's failure to keep him informed in a timely/promised manner.

Perhaps he was determined to quit the existing job, regardless. And thought it would be easier, with your thinking there could be a replacement job.

With you already paying the important bills, I would think the possibility of being the only bread-winner, could be a real test.

Do you think he is going through a mid-life crisis?

• Author
WOW!! That is really scary (quitting a job, before the offer comes through)

I can empathize, I've had really crappy jobs, but I didn't leave until I had the new job offer in hand. There was one job, I hated so much, that I didn't give two weeks notice and jumped into the new job the day after I received the offer, but I had only been working there a month.

Can your husband "temp"?? I remember "temping" for one agency, while I looked for a new job?? "Temping" wasn't great, but it did "keep the wolf away from the door"...

This is one of those "Don't count your chickens before they hatch" moments.

I guess all you can do is say a little prayer that he got the new job and the offer is forthcoming.

Fingers crossed!!

Oh he could "temp" doing a lot of things. He could deliver pizzas as I said to fill the void until he gets hired on (IF he gets hired on) but he doesn't see the use in doing that because he figures when he does get the notice of the job they'll want him to start within 2 weeks. Who knows. They may not want him to start until November!

• Author
As far as the 'respect' factor. I have always found it was more likely to have respect as an established experienced employee, than someone just coming onto the job site. In other words: What does he think it's going to be like on a new job .. instant respect?

I had thought his chances of getting this new job, were high .. Excepting for this latest development of the company's failure to keep him informed in a timely/promised manner.

Perhaps he was determined to quit the existing job, regardless. And thought it would be easier, with your thinking there could be a replacement job.

With you already paying the important bills, I would think the possibility of being the only bread-winner, could be a real test.

Do you think he is going through a mid-life crisis?

Well I know he has wanted to quit this job for a few months. He said that if he didn't get this one he'd get something else. But the fact that he can't suck it up for a few weeks or at least until an offer comes through, really irritates me.

He's been going through a mid life crisis for the past 14 years I've known him! Always looking for a better job, better pay, better place to live, better everything.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
Oh he could "temp" doing a lot of things

Oh... I meant can he "temp" in his field?? There is a "care free" feeling about temping, less stress, no feelings of commitment to an employer, no worries if you offend a co-worker by accident and less blame... "Hey, I'm only a temp" Do you think he would like that?? That "care-free" feeling can be more relaxing than a permanent job.

They may not want him to start until November!

OMG!! That could be really bad considering it is the beginning of July.

• Like 1
  • Author
Oh... I meant can he "temp" in his field?? There is a "care free" feeling about temping, less stress, no feelings of commitment to an employer, no worries if you offend a co-worker by accident and less blame... "Hey, I'm only a temp" Do you think he would like that?? That "care-free" feeling can be more relaxing than a permanent job.

OMG!! That could be really bad considering it is the beginning of July.

Well I just threw out there that they might not want him until Nov. THey might want him to start immediately too. Who knows!

Quite honestly, he could probably quit his current job and go back there in a few weeks ad ask for it back because they've fired people several times there and bring them back because they need staff. One guy quit and walked out because he didn't want to work Sunday's and he was back working there in 6 weeks. Another guy who H works with has been fired a couple of times and is back there now. Of course, I'm sure he wouldn't go so low as to go back there though.

UpwardForward
Well I just threw out there that they might not want him until Nov. THey might want him to start immediately too. Who knows!

Quite honestly, he could probably quit his current job and go back there in a few weeks ad ask for it back because they've fired people several times there and bring them back because they need staff. One guy quit and walked out because he didn't want to work Sunday's and he was back working there in 6 weeks. Another guy who H works with has been fired a couple of times and is back there now. Of course, I'm sure he wouldn't go so low as to go back there though.

Thank God he still has job security, and for you. Should he become unemployed, he may be able to go back to his current job .. and taking the stress off of you, and your income.

• Author
Thank God he still has job security, and for you. Should he become unemployed, he may be able to go back to his current job .. and taking the stress off of you, and your income.

Yeah but I know he would never go back there. They would have to get rid of a couple people there before he'd consider it.

MidwestUSA
Yeah but I know he would never go back there. They would have to get rid of a couple people there before he'd consider it.

I have to ask, did you plan on having a child when you got married? :lmao:

Tantrums, tantrums.

Happy Lemming

Have you prepared for the possible upcoming "lean" times?? Emergency Savings?? Are there any assets that can be sold to make up the shortfall on necessities??

You might want to have a "Plan B" and "Plan C" if the offer doesn't come through or if there is a significant delay in his start date.

MidwestUSA
Have you prepared for the possible upcoming "lean" times?? Emergency Savings?? Are there any assets that can be sold to make up the shortfall on necessities??

You might want to have a "Plan B" and "Plan C" if the offer doesn't come through or if there is a significant delay in his start date.

I'd make him put his motorcycle up for collateral. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
Happy Lemming
I'd make him put his motorcycle up for collateral. :rolleyes:

Sounds like there is a loan on it... Equity in it may be minimal.

• Like 1
Art_Critic

People ruled by addiction make some really dumb decisions... BTDT

If the offer comes in and is good then he will be alright but it has been weeks now ?? then the offer is looking more like it won't come in.

Maybe he should listen to you on this

• Like 1
  • Author
People ruled by addiction make some really dumb decisions... BTDT

If the offer comes in and is good then he will be alright but it has been weeks now ?? then the offer is looking more like it won't come in.

Maybe he should listen to you on this

Too late he already sent his manager a message saying he's coming in to pick up his check tomorrow and then calling it good.

As I said before, the hiring manager told him that after the reference check it would take about a month to get the offer and then another couple of weeks to be hired on. It hasn't been even 3 weeks yet since the reference check. It would have been fine if she hadn't told him the day after his reference checks that she should have an offer to him by next weekend, which didn't happen and didn't happen again the following Monday and now is being delayed due to an admin process she missed.

• Author

He has motorcycles, guitars amps that could all be sold for thousands of dollars but he won't sell any of them because they mean too much to him. I have my savings and then another $20,000 in CD's and $150,000 in my 401k which I could live from but then that of course means huge penalties if I take from that.

Happy Lemming
He has motorcycles, guitars amps that could all be sold for thousands of dollars but he won't sell any of them because they mean too much to him. I have my savings and then another $20,000 in CD's and $150,000 in my 401k which I could live from but then that of course means huge penalties if I take from that.

I really, really hope you don't have to break into your 401K. You are 100% correct, there are HUGE penalties and taxes associated with that action.

As far as savings, for me, it is hard, but rewarding work putting money into savings. I don't mind using it for a truly "rainy" day, but that is not the case in your scenario. Your husband is able to work, he hasn't had an accident or been stricken down with a terrible disease; he is just upset with his present employer and hates his job. Well join the club, one study states 85% of Americans hate their job. I, for one, have had many jobs I hated, but I stuck it out and pushed through.

What's done is done, I really wish he had stuck it out until he had a start date with the new employer.

Best of Luck...

MidwestUSA

Do NOT, under any circumstances, withdraw from anything YOU'VE saved, to bail out a manchild who is perfectly capable of working. Ugh, he pisses me off just hearing about him.

I want to divorce him, and haven't even met him.

• Like 2
  • Author

He just got an email from the hiring manager:

Hope you had a great weekend. Just wanted to let you know that we are getting closure. You should anticipate hearing from me within the next few days. I appreciate your patience.

Good lord! Well at least he heard something!

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

Just wanted to let you know that we are getting closure.

What do you think that means?? Closure on an offer letter?? Closure speaking to other candidates??

I really don't know how to interpret that line...

• Like 1
I wouldn't count on a job change fixing his attitude long term. He's a child. It'll soothe him for a little while. Like a pacifier.

Also my thought.

I'm always leery of anyone who says that they don't get the respect they deserve at work. It speaks to a sense of entitlement. It is especially interesting in this situation given that this man has had difficulty even showing up for work consistently... not exactly a behavior that earns respect, in my humble opinion.

• Like 2
MidwestUSA
What do you think that means?? Closure on an offer letter?? Closure speaking to other candidates??

I don't either, but I'm having a drink all the same! :lmao:

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
He just got an email from the hiring manager:

Hope you had a great weekend. Just wanted to let you know that we are getting closure. You should anticipate hearing from me within the next few days. I appreciate your patience.

Good lord! Well at least he heard something!

Doesn't sound good :(.

• Like 1
Art_Critic

I'm surprised your husband would want to work with a company that operates like this, unprofessional at best...

They just let someone who needs a job wave in the wind for a month.. who does that...

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
I don't either, but I'm having a drink all the same! :lmao:

Now that is a good idea!! I'll join you in that suggestion!!

• Like 1
  • Author

Yes, closure on a salary offer.