I think he got the job!!

I know it's not a job offer yet, because that comes with the salary email, but it seems like it should be a pretty sure thing. I wouldn't think they would have sent that out to more than one person, especially when she is asking him to revamp his resume to get a better salary.

Did he jump right on the request and get the info back to them?

It seems the job is maintenance. I find it odd that they are needing him to detail things out. Was his resume not hand crafted to suit the job as it was described? Did they not pose these questions at the interview?

It's certainly nice of her to advise him to update his job search profile. They're thinking of his future job search in the event they turn him down. How polite! Who does that? :lmao:

• Author
Did he jump right on the request and get the info back to them?

It seems the job is maintenance. I find it odd that they are needing him to detail things out. Was his resume not hand crafted to suit the job as it was described? Did they not pose these questions at the interview?

It's certainly nice of her to advise him to update his job search profile. They're thinking of his future job search in the event they turn him down. How polite! Who does that? :lmao:

Yes he got the request on Thursday morning before he left for work and stayed up late on Thursday (until 3AM!) to revamp it and sent it in...at 3AM.

I'm sure they asked all that he did at previous jobs in the interview as it probably wasn't super detailed in his resume. But since HR has no idea who he is or what he can do, he needs to add more key words.

But why would HR, who knows nothing about him, turn him down when his manager is recommending him for hire?> It's not like HR is going to be like "No we aren't going to offer him ANY salary. Let's find someone else".

Yes he got the request on Thursday morning before he left for work and stayed up late on Thursday (until 3AM!) to revamp it and sent it in...at 3AM.

I'm sure they asked all that he did at previous jobs in the interview as it probably wasn't super detailed in his resume. But since HR has no idea who he is or what he can do, he needs to add more key words.

But why would HR, who knows nothing about him, turn him down when his manager is recommending him for hire?> It's not like HR is going to be like "No we aren't going to offer him ANY salary. Let's find someone else".

I don't know, it's odd.

The only thing I can think of is that HR is bound by levels of pay grade, and they want to make sure they put him in the proper grade. Maybe there's a bounty to the HR person for every dollar they save. Maybe it's a newbie HR employee who's a stickler for details.

In any case, good luck to him.

• Author
I don't know, it's odd.

The only thing I can think of is that HR is bound by levels of pay grade, and they want to make sure they put him in the proper grade. Maybe there's a bounty to the HR person for every dollar they save. Maybe it's a newbie HR employee who's a stickler for details.

In any case, good luck to him.

I mean in the job ad it gave the range of pay so he knows it will be within those boundaries and even the low end is about $5 more an hour than he's making now so it will be better regardless but I know he'd like to be on the top end of it just because he does have a lot (not all) of the skills and he is older and I would think would get more pay than someone just out of college.

• Author

Do you think it's okay for him to email the manager and ask about the salary offer. She told him last week that she should have it to him no later than today. Granted, today isn't over yet, but if he doesn't hear anything he is going to go crazy over the weekend. Would it be okay for him to send an email around noon and find out what's going on?

Never assume anything until a firm 'in writing offer with salary' is in your possession.

Don't chase, wait.

Do not chase it for him.

• Like 2
  • Author

Arrrgh! STILL waiting for the offer! He did go ahead and email the manager at like 2PM on Friday and she got back to him within minutes saying she checked with HR and they are close to a salary offer and that he should hear back from her on Monday. Well now it's 3PM on Monday and nothing from her! It's a job at a university so it probably has to go through a few people. Would they take the offer away from him at this point even after she said she was recommending him and asked him to pump up his resume before she gave it to HR to try and get him the best salary? Or do you think they would have an offer out to more than one person???

CautiouslyOptimistic
It's a job at a university so it probably has to go through a few people.

Non-profits are notoriously slow with this kind of thing. Couple that with school being out for summer and summer vacations for staff members......I think he should just be patient.

• Author
Non-profits are notoriously slow with this kind of thing. Couple that with school being out for summer and summer vacations for staff members......I think he should just be patient.

If the manager who told him she would be in touch with him both Friday and then again today would let him know where things are at, that would be nice :)

• Author

Just curious if H can rest assured that he is the only one waiting on an offer or if he should worry there are others? And if so, how would that work? Do they see who bites at the lower offer?

CautiouslyOptimistic
If the manager who told him she would be in touch with him both Friday and then again today would let him know where things are at, that would be nice :)

Yes, but it's quite likely this is not the only thing on her to-do list :).

• Author
Yes, but it's quite likely this is not the only thing on her to-do list :).

I know, but she has been super quick getting back to him when he emails her. Like within 10 minutes every time.

CautiouslyOptimistic
I know, but she has been super quick getting back to him when he emails her. Like within 10 minutes every time.

I spent my entire work day today emailing university officials (for my job). I can't even tell you how many "out of office" emails I got back because people are on vacation. (VERY MANY :lmao:)

It won't do any good to email her again, so as hard as it is, you guys are just gonna have to wait this out I think. It's completely out of your hands.

• Author
I spent my entire work day today emailing university officials (for my job). I can't even tell you how many "out of office" emails I got back because people are on vacation. (VERY MANY :lmao:)

It won't do any good to email her again, so as hard as it is, you guys are just gonna have to wait this out I think. It's completely out of your hands.

Do you think there could be an offer out to another person as well?

CautiouslyOptimistic
Do you think there could be an offer out to another person as well?

Anything is possible, but I doubt it. If both were to accept, it would put them in a very uncomfortable situation and cause potential harm to their reputation as a good employer.

• Like 1
  • Author
Anything is possible, but I doubt it. If both were to accept, it would put them in a very uncomfortable situation and cause potential harm to their reputation as a good employer.

But could they possibly put out two offers of the same amount and see who will take the lower offer and not negotiate? That would seem like an odd thing to do, especially since the manager asked him to add more key words to his resume and resubmit it before she gave it to HR! I'm assuming she did that so he'd get a higher offer?

I doubt they put out 2 offers to 2 people for one position.. it they did then they might have 2 positions to fill, that is why they have expiration dates/times.. I normally give them 24 to 48 hrs and then the offer is automatically rescinded, and it will be in the offer... if the time expires then person B gets an offer

• Author
I doubt they put out 2 offers to 2 people for one position.. it they did then they might have 2 positions to fill, that is why they have expiration dates/times.. I normally give them 24 to 48 hrs and then the offer is automatically rescinded, and it will be in the offer... if the time expires then person B gets an offer

So could H be person B and they are trying negotiate something so person A?

• Author

Well she emailed H this morning and said that the salary offer process is going to take a bit longer than anticipated due to an administrative process she missed in this recruitment. She will reach back out to him before the weekend and update him on the status. What exactly didn't she know about?? That seems odd when she had told him not once, but twice that she would have the offer to him on certain days. She's been in that position for abotu 3 years so it's not like she's unfamiliar with the process. It almost seems like they are stringing him along or something.

So now it will probably be at least a week before it's final. He is going to drive me batty! He has come home from work the past 3 days pissed off about something that happened at work and has been short with me. He NEEDS to get out of this job so I can stop worrying about his mood when he gets home.

Edited by Mapper71
UpwardForward
Well she emailed H this morning and said that the salary offer process is going to take a bit longer than anticipated due to an administrative process she missed in this recruitment. She will reach back out to him before the weekend and update him on the status. What exactly didn't she know about?? That seems odd when she had told him not once, but twice that she would have the offer to him on certain days. It almost seems like they are stringing him along or something.

So now it will probably be at least a week before it's final. He is going to drive me batty! He has come home from work the past 3 days pissed off about something that happened at work and has been short with me. He NEEDS to get out of this job so I can stop worrying about his mood when he gets home.

IMO, he's a whiner and will always be pissed about his job.

From what you have posted - incl the manager saying: I am recommending you for the job... I would say he has the job.

Nothing is easy or simple in this complex crazy world these days.

• Like 1

Did they make him take a pee test...they be making him take one...

Maybe they caught wind of his truancy issue at work and the reasons behind it..

Well she emailed H this morning and said that the salary offer process is going to take a bit longer than anticipated due to an administrative process she missed in this recruitment. She will reach back out to him before the weekend and update him on the status. What exactly didn't she know about?? That seems odd when she had told him not once, but twice that she would have the offer to him on certain days. She's been in that position for abotu 3 years so it's not like she's unfamiliar with the process. It almost seems like they are stringing him along or something.

I wouldn't count on a job change fixing his attitude long term. He's a child. It'll soothe him for a little while. Like a pacifier.

• Like 3