I want to move out but I have nothing?

Furniture: be VERY careful you don't get a piece of furniture full of bedbugs - or even with some viable eggs. You (and everyone else) do(es) NOT want bedbugs. Notorious sources are upholstered furniture left out on the curb with 'Free' signs.

• Like 1
  • Author
A few things -

- you don't know anyone from work, church, hobbies or school looking for a roommate? Ask around, I'd bet there's someone.

- you can get all the furnishings and housewares you need at garage sales. Look for people that are moving and go late in the day. Most folks would rather give stuff away cheaply - or free - than pack it up and take it.

- consider a "gig" second job, Uber or Lyft for example though there are others. The hours are flexible and you work the days you want.

The challenges you face are no different than most of us overcame at your age and in your circumstances. My first table was a cable spool salvaged from a construction site, shelving was bricks and boards found elsewhere. It can be done and is more rewarding since you're the one making it happen...

Mr. Lucky

thank you! i have applied for a few fast food places I have an interview with one today actually. I would rather not work two jobs BUT unfortunately I dont attend church, I have asked around at my other job but, I work with alot of older people who already has established their living situations so, I havent closed living with a coworker but, as of right now it looks as though working two jobs is my only option.

I really wanted to move in with a sibling but Im the only one working

Happy Lemming

As far as a bed, could you sleep on an air mattress (temporarily) while you saved up money for a bed. I've seen new air mattresses on sale here for about $10 - $15. You could get sheets from Goodwill, wash them in hot water with bleach and you'll be fine.

As far as a TV, start out with an inexpensive radio, that is what I did. I also read a lot of books from the local library. Eventually, I saved up for a TV.

Are studio apartments cheaper than $1000/month?? Maybe get a month to month on a studio until you save up for some furniture/belongings, then move to a 1 bedroom??

I feel your pain about first apartments. My first apartment leaked, when I asked my landlord about the leak, he said "only when it rains, though". So I put buckets out to catch the rain water, luckily the leak was in the bathroom, so it was fairly easy to clean up.

I stayed in that small crappy apartment for 4 years while I saved up for my first home. I also made friends with my landlord, he would let me work off part of my rent by doing odd jobs on his other units. Drywall repair, painting, hauling away debris, cutting the grass, etc.

I really do wish you the best!!

Blue skies...

All you need is a mattress for now and you can buy one from a garage sale or whatever. You might even keep your eyes open for a small furnished apartment. Then once you settle in, you can start looking for stuff at garage sales, thrift stores. You also should have a skillet. Your mom will surely give you one.

• Author

ive been doing research in my area and they do have studio APTS available but they are $900 cheaper than the apartment I was aiming for and only 480 sq feet. I need some help! I was looking for cheaper but alot of the apartments deny me because they say I make too much for a standard apartment in my area. So my next idea is to try maybe a different city but....I want something convenient to my job..because saving gas would help alot...what do I do? they do have four apartments availaible one for $695 only water,sewage,and trash pick up is included and they neighborhood is in an active crime area.one for $925 with nothing included, one for $690 the only thing thats wrong with this one is that its right around the street from my parents house lol

• Author

there is also a TWO bed room for $795 included is water,trash,and sewage..I will have to pay the electric bill and or if I want cable as well ....but its two bedrooms

there is also a TWO bed room for $795 included is water,trash,and sewage..I will have to pay the electric bill and or if I want cable as well ....but its two bedrooms

Get the 2 BR & a roommate. It's cheaper

• Like 1
  • Author
Get the 2 BR & a roommate. It's cheaper

how can i start looking for roomates? ive asked coworkers my siblings dont work and my bestfriend isnt financially stable to move out

Happy Lemming

Keep searching and inquiring. If you can find a two bedroom for $795, you may be able to find a studio or 1 bedroom much cheaper.

Have you asked a realtor about inexpensive rentals??

how can i start looking for roomates? ive asked coworkers my siblings dont work and my bestfriend isnt financially stable to move out

Ask all of those people if they know anybody. Try craigslist or something like that but interview the people very carefully & do a real background check.

georgia girl

Consider using both Facebook/social media and a realtor to find an apartment. Also, ask friends for recommendations of friends to consider for a roommate. Do you have friends on social media that you could ask to live with you? If all else fails, put an ad out on social media. Additionally, if there is a college near you, try to find a message board they use and seek a roommate. Lots of college kids can’t afford the expense of living on campus.

The difference between what you are paying your mom ($200) and what you would be paying for $900/rent, means that you should be able to save $700 a month right now. If so, start saving seriously and make yourself a budget. As other have suggested, go to garage sales and most cities have local “garage sale” Facebook pages where you can get the basics - dishes, glasses, silverware. You can get those same items, including some pots and pans and sheets at goodwill. But plan on spending $500 for a bed and buy new. If you really want a TV, save for that, too. And perhaps a small couch. So, altogether you would need about $1,300-1,400 for those three items. That’s two months of your savings. Try to have another three months of rent saved, another $2700, and then another $1.400 for security deposit and last month’s rent. Finally, give yourself a cushion of about $2,000, for car repairs, extra groceries (that first order when you need to buy sugar, salt, pepper, etc.) is a killer. So, roughly, I would say you need about $7,500 in your pocket when you go to move out. That’s about 11

months of saving. Start now and any little extra windfall you get, squirrel it away.

Open yourself a savings account and deposit your savings in there so you are not tempted to spend it or allow a family member to borrow it. If you get that second job, make sure every nickel goes into your savings account - direct deposit is best - so that you can get your own place faster.

Finally, do a realistic budget. At $16/hour, you likely bring home about $1,800 a month. Rent is $900, gas for work is likely 2 tanks per month or $80, food is usually about $75/week or $350. Car is $118 and insurance is $100. Phone is about $70. If you do Netflix, budget $20. That leaves you about $60 a month leftover. That second job will come in awful handy until you pay off your car and get a raise or two. It’s not forever.

Having said all of that, I say go for it. Do it the right way and get the savings in place, but I did the same thing. It was over 20 years ago, but I think after my bills were paid, I had $18 one week and - on my “rich week” - I had $68. It was skinny, but I focused on getting rid of one short-term debt after another and worked my butt off to get raises and promotions. As I look back, those were

Some of the best years of my life. I was determined to make it and so proud to have done it on my own. (I had a ton of college debt.) Today, I just semi-retired at 50, having been a CEO for 12 years. The lessons I learned about survival when I was so stinking poor served me well throughout the rest of my life.

One final thing: consider health insurance. You can stay on your mom’s until age 26. But once you come off, you will need to buy your own. Hopefully, you can get it through your employer. And finally, when you do get just a little bit of wiggle room, save early for retirement. Just $5/week will amount to much more than you can ever imagine, given the miracle of compound interest.

Good luck!

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
Also, ask friends for recommendations...

I'd like to agree with this suggestion.

I found my first apartment (many, many years ago) through a friend of a co-worker. My co-worker was nice enough to "vouch" for me and the landlord wrote me a lease on this small studio apartment.

Devencianna

i think you’d be better off finding a roommate as others suggested. If not or no one is looking for one that fits your criteria then a part time small job wouldn’t be so bad but make sure you don’t burn yourself out

Edited by Devencianna
bathtub-row

I don't think it's necessary to get a roommate. You make enough money to afford that apartment on your own as long as you don't take on any additional debt. I agree that Goodwill and places like that are fantastic for getting cheap furniture, clothes, electronics -- all kinds of things; but buying a new mattress would be your best bet. Depending on where you live, there could be several of those places in your area. If you do get a roommate, make sure that they sign the lease, also. If they don't, they're not obligated to stay and could move out and then you'd be stuck with paying the rent for a two-bedroom apt.

If all else fails, you could get a part-time job in addition to your regular job but try to avoid that if you can. Unless you want to save up money.

It's probably scary thinking about being on your own after living with the mob you live with but, the truth is, once you venture out on your own, you'll probably wonder what ever held you back. The situation you're in right now isn't going to advance you into adulthood very well.

Advertise for a girl your age to move in with you. Don't forget to run a credit check.

georgia girl

One other thing I forgot to add: absolutely, positively do NOT let anyone move in who does not have a job and is not contributing 50% to the expenses. You have both an older sibling and a best friend who will likely want to move in. It can be lonely living on your own, at first. But you will set yourself up for failure or to being manipulated if you let anyone even “stay over for a few days” when they cannot (and will not) contribute. What’s worse is that you may damage relationships long-term if you don’t stick to your guns. Nothing destroys a relationship faster than money.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

Have you looked into renting a room in someone's home??

Sometimes homeowners will rent out a spare back bedroom for extra money.

In this scenario, you don't have to worry about a room mate paying half of the rent/utilities and getting evicted because your room mate didn't have the money.

• Author

yeah i only saw one and that was for $600 , but i feel like if i pay $600 i might as well pay for rent somewhere especially if i have to share the kitchen and den with other people

Happy Lemming
yeah i only saw one and that was for $600 , but i feel like if i pay $600 i might as well pay for rent somewhere especially if i have to share the kitchen and den with other people

I'd have to agree with you on this one...

I'd take the two bedroom by myself for $795, before I would pay $600 for just a room with kitchen privileges.

The last time I rented a room was 2003 and it was only $325/month. I guess it depends on the area, but it appears prices have gone up a bit.

Did you try checking with a realtor??

There's apps to look for roommates. Just google it.

• Author

i found two apartments both for $750 a month with trash included ..nothing else but they are both about 25-30 minutes away from my house they are in a different city ...

bathtub-row
i found two apartments both for $750 a month with trash included ..nothing else but they are both about 25-30 minutes away from my house they are in a different city ...

Sounds very reasonable. How far is it from your job?

• Author

is there anything Im missing or need to have for my apartment

ive bought

personal care for me (soap,hair shampoo,deodorant,) i need to buy toothpaste and menstrual pads

clothing wash,dryer sheets,bleach

i purchased my new bed,pillow cases

cook ware,spoons,forks,cups,plates etc

im buying a couch and table next week i found on offer up

i bought towels rags and a shower curtain

what other things are a MUST

bathtub-row

So you’re doing it?! That is awesome!

It sounds like you’ve covered the basics. I’m sure you’ll think of things you forgot but you can fix that soon enough. When do you move? Does your family know?

I’m so excited for you! Please keep us posted and let us know how you’re doing.