Preferences regarding haircuts

heavenonearth

If I went around telling my partner he would look hot if he shaved his head and pierced his eyebrow, don't you think he would feel something is wrong with his attraction to me?

And no it's not harsh to express disappointment and my personal stance on the subject.

Space Ritual
General question:

If your partner had a preference regarding what kind of hair they'd like on you, would you consider getting that particular haircut?

Example: My boyfriend's preference on me would be a bob cut - every now and then he makes comments on how it would look great on me. He also emphasizes he loves my hair the way it is now (rather long), but still, it is clear he has a preference.

Personally, I do not like myself with a bob haircut, which is why I will leave it long for now.

What would you do?

Would you listen to your partner's preferences and adjust your haircut accordingly, or would you just not give a fork? :p

Sure, I'd try it if I was in love with them. I mean after all, it will grow back. I would not make hair style a cornerstone of a relationship though.

I mean, I love chicks in Fishnets and 6 inch stiletto's but I would not expect my GF to prance around in em all day long....wonderful for my Libido as that might me, it just isn't really practical lol.

• Like 1

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one whose boyfriend prefers a different hair style!

I have bangs that are very perfect and in place (with a bit of hair spray) and he hates them.. which I don't understand because I've always had them and that's how he met me but he says I have a "beautiful" face and he wants to see more of it. I've let them be less perfect a few times and even wore a hat once but I just don't feel like me. It's a sensitive subject for me because I like feeling like an individual and it makes me think he wants me to look like everyone else..sigh. I am a bit sensitive/dramatic when it comes to my appearance :laugh:

I did have an ex boyfriend who never wanted me to cut my hair which kind of felt like an obligation but I like my hair long so it worked out. How short of a bob does he want? From your pic I can see that you have gorgeous hair so I can understand why you wouldn't want to cut it. I am kind of a pleaser when it comes to my relationships so I would maybe think about it but not sure if I would follow through. Hair is important to most women.. including me :)

I have a short beard for the first time in my life because Timshel likes it. She keeps her hair long despite getting the urge to cut it occasionally because she has the most beautiful hair I've ever seen and I like it that way.

Yes, beards and long hair require more work but seems worth it for a partner you love and want to make happy.

My hubby likes my hair long and blonde, but I don't have any desire to do all the maintenance it requires. So, I wear it very short, choppy and dyed red.

Seems like you almost want to give him the middle finger. Ouch.

• Like 1
  • Author
heavenonearth
Does he like a short bob or a long one?

I have rarely came across a man preferring short hair on a woman.

I think about chin length.

We went ice skating last weekend and i had my hair in a ponytail with a hat on, and my fringe hair was showing sticking out on the sides (which is the length to my chin). We took a selfie. He later looked at the picture and said: “look this is sort of what you’d look like with short hair. So pretty!”

And i just shrug it off and said “staaaaahp it, i like my hair the way it is” and he said “i love your hair the way it is. I like you with any haircut. Just saying, this shorter hair would definitely look great on you”

And situations like this happened a few times now so i am really considering it.

I had it this short two years ago but i was 20kg heavier then and it didn’t look so good with my face. I am now back to my normal weight (55kg) so maybe it would look better.

I am thinking of going to the hair dresser and get a consultation. A hair dresser will surely know what suits my facial shape best, right?

I do want to try something new. But also a bit sad bc it’s gotten soooo long now and it took two years and i just love it long. But it’s also a bit boring.

• Like 2
  • Author
heavenonearth
If I went around telling my partner he would look hot if he shaved his head and pierced his eyebrow, don't you think he would feel something is wrong with his attraction to me?

And no it's not harsh to express disappointment and my personal stance on the subject.

No i don’t think that there would be something wrong with your attraction to him. Quite the contrary. Isn’t it great if you think your partner looks great with virtually any look? :)

I love my boyfriend and his look when i met him, i love him just as much now, even though there are worlds apart from 1cm long hair and 4 day stubble to 8cm long hair and a 15cm long beard?!! Lol.

• Like 2
lana-banana

Preferences are normal. Dealbreakers are also normal (if you don't want to date a bald/long-haired/whatever person). But bringing it up multiple times even after you've said "no, I like my hair as it is" is very obnoxious. Change your hair because you want to, not because he would like it.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

I had an ex who preferred dark, short hair where mine was long and blonde. At least once a week when we went to the supermarket, he would show me hair colors and pick brown/black ones and would tell me that would look good on me. I already explained that I tried it in the past and it didn't suit me because it washes me out and I look too pale. He just kept saying "I love pale face/dark hair look". He got really annoying that I eventually did it. It looked as bad as I remembered and he actually said "Yeah, you looked much better as a blonde". :rolleyes: No wonder relationship didn't last.

I generally prefer for a partner not to comment on my appearance unless it's positive. If he asks or suggests something, once is enough.

General question:

If your partner had a preference regarding what kind of hair they'd like on you, would you consider getting that particular haircut?

Example: My boyfriend's preference on me would be a bob cut - every now and then he makes comments on how it would look great on me. He also emphasizes he loves my hair the way it is now (rather long), but still, it is clear he has a preference.

Personally, I do not like myself with a bob haircut, which is why I will leave it long for now.

What would you do?

Would you listen to your partner's preferences and adjust your haircut accordingly, or would you just not give a fork? :p

No, I'm sorry, I wouldn't, because, I have to be happy and comfortable, because it's part of my head, not my boyfriends. Just like. I don't ask my boyfriend, to shave the hair, growing on his face, because he is happy with it and he has to decide what works for him.

I have a medium to long length bob with light and dark blonde highlights and my hair is naturally curly and wavy, somewhat thick so this is easily maintainable for me. I can just put some styling lotion in, scrunch with my hands and take off.

Edited by skywriter
  • Like 1
  • Author
heavenonearth
Preferences are normal. Dealbreakers are also normal (if you don't want to date a bald/long-haired/whatever person). But bringing it up multiple times even after you've said "no, I like my hair as it is" is very obnoxious. Change your hair because you want to, not because he would like it.

Let’s not forget my boyfriend has been letting his hair and beard grow since last July because i told him to :p.

• Like 1
  • Author
heavenonearth
I had an ex who preferred dark, short hair where mine was long and blonde. At least once a week when we went to the supermarket, he would show me hair colors and pick brown/black ones and would tell me that would look good on me. I already explained that I tried it in the past and it didn't suit me because it washes me out and I look too pale. He just kept saying "I love pale face/dark hair look". He got really annoying that I eventually did it. It looked as bad as I remembered and he actually said "Yeah, you looked much better as a blonde". :rolleyes: No wonder relationship didn't last.

I generally prefer for a partner not to comment on my appearance unless it's positive. If he asks or suggests something, once is enough.

He tells me all the time how freaking beautiful i am.

I think he just really wants to see how it looks on me.

I am considering it because i want to make a change to my hair but i am afraid letting it cut to a bob may be a bit too drastic.

I am not much of a risk taker anymore - getting old. Lol.

• Like 2
No i don’t think that there would be something wrong with your attraction to him. Quite the contrary. Isn’t it great if you think your partner looks great with virtually any look? :)

I love my boyfriend and his look when i met him, i love him just as much now, even though there are worlds apart from 1cm long hair and 4 day stubble to 8cm long hair and a 15cm long beard?!! Lol.

I like my partner the way he is, that's why we have been together for over 28 years. He has no interest in changing his look and I don't need him to look different. I'm happy just the way he is. He did some things for himself over the years and I was ok with it....didn't care. I would never ever suggest he do anything with his look....I leave that up to him, and whatever he is comfortable with.

Edited by smackie9
  • Like 2
  • Author
heavenonearth
I like my partner the way he is, that's why we have been together for over 28 years. He has no interest in changing his look and I don't need him to look different. I'm happy just the way he is. He did some things for himself over the years and I was ok with it....didn't care. I would never ever suggest he do anything with his look....I leave that up to him, and whatever he is comfortable with.

I LOVE my partner the way he is and he loves me the way I am but I love him more with the beard. :p LOL

• Like 2

I am considering it because i want to make a change to my hair but i am afraid letting it cut to a bob may be a bit too drastic.

I'm 54 and i started wearing the bob in my forties. I was kinda nervous about changing my hair too, so I understand how you're feeling.

Add to that the natural curl, is work, to get it to cooperate, but, it was a great choice and now I can't change from the bob haircut.

Before making such a big decision you need to consider if you are the type of person that is willing to spend an hour on her hair each morning to make it look 'salon haircut'. I know I am not. Each time I had a type of stylish haircut I was unable to reproduce it once at home and I hate spending more than 5 minutes on my hair that's why keeping it long is all I will ever do with my hair.

Second you need to know if a bob is appropriate with your type of hair. If you curl or wave naturally than it will be a pain in the neck to stretch that hair each morning. It may also mean each time you sleep over somewhere you need to bring your hair arsenal.

Cutting off your beautiful hair just cause he wants to see how it would look on you ...what do you do if it doesn't look good? or if you hate it? it's gonna take months (years) to grow back and you'll have to deal with that annoying lenght when they're too short or too long and you look like mop. A bob involves shaving your neck remember.

• Author
heavenonearth
Before making such a big decision you need to consider if you are the type of person that is willing to spend an hour on her hair each morning to make it look 'salon haircut'. I know I am not. Each time I had a type of stylish haircut I was unable to reproduce it once at home and I hate spending more than 5 minutes on my hair that's why keeping it long is all I will ever do with my hair.

Second you need to know if a bob is appropriate with your type of hair. If you curl or wave naturally than it will be a pain in the neck to stretch that hair each morning. It may also mean each time you sleep over somewhere you need to bring your hair arsenal.

Cutting off your beautiful hair just cause he wants to see how it would look on you ...what do you do if it doesn't look good? or if you hate it? it's gonna take months (years) to grow back and you'll have to deal with that annoying lenght when they're too short or too long and you look like mop. A bob involves shaving your neck remember.

I had really short hair more than once in my life, so I know what it looks on me and what it requires. It does look good, but only when I am skinny (which gladly, I am again now).

I have a hairdressing appointment for Wednesday, not sure yet what I will let them do with me...

My boyfriend is spending the day with his niece, and he just sent me a picture of her. She got a haircut and it's really short, he said "She got the haircut you should get!" He laughed hysterically. I am starting to feel he is just trying to get back at me for making him look like a mountain man.

Ultimately I'm going to keep my hair the way I want it, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying something different on his request.

My boyfriend is spending the day with his niece, and he just sent me a picture of her. She got a haircut and it's really short, he said "She got the haircut you should get!" He laughed hysterically. I am starting to feel he is just trying to get back at me for making him look like a mountain man.

Something else is going on with him... something that has NOTHING to do with your hair. Some kind of power struggle? IDK. You know him way better than we do. What is he trying to tell you with these frequent reminders?

• Author
heavenonearth
Something else is going on with him... something that has NOTHING to do with your hair. Some kind of power struggle? IDK. You know him way better than we do. What is he trying to tell you with these frequent reminders?

Nah, not a power struggle. I think this is really simply about hair.

I think he may be even unaware he's mentioning this a lot. Maybe it's really just something he'd like to see and that's why he's subconciously always bringing it up.

I have decided to tell him that it is annoying.

He'll call when he's driving back in a bit, so I will talk to him about it then.

See what he says.

Mainly because I DO want to change my hair, but it's like everything in life: You want to do it because YOU want to do it, not because someone else wants you to do it.

I think he has a preference for short hair and he's comfortable enough after 8 months to express it openly.

Eternal Sunshine

I think bob looks pretty good on most women. It actually mostly depends on your body - if you are thin it can look quite sassy and stylish. Even with wavy hair you can get some mousse and wear it messy.

• Author
heavenonearth
I think he has a preference for short hair and he's comfortable enough after 8 months to express it openly.

Yes, it's weird though, he told me his preference is dark hair on women, he's said that length doesn't matter. I think he just really thinks that I'd be overly sexy with a short hair cut...

• Author
heavenonearth
I think bob looks pretty good on most women. It actually mostly depends on your body - if you are thin it can look quite sassy and stylish. Even with wavy hair you can get some mousse and wear it messy.

That's what I thought; now that I lost the "antidepressant weight", I could definitely sport short hair again.

Unfortunately it now seems he actually prefers much shorter :( Not sure if I am ready for it (again). Last time I had hair this short I was 18! It looked great then, people always told me I looked like Jean Seberg.

Urgh this man... He better not cut that beard anytime soon if I'm getting a haircut on wednesday!

• Like 1
  • Author
heavenonearth

So i asked him about it, why he brings it up so much and he said he's just joking.

Mh.