"Boyfriend" doesn't know how to be a boyfriend

lovelies25

Yeah I found that helpful lovelies. I guess one of my issues I don't know how to start showing the girl I'm trying to go for the long haul in a way that actually shows it rather than just telling her, and I also find it hard just to be myself. I definitely act differently around girls than I do around guys and I feel like that is holding me back.

The most rememberable thing she did was a merry christmas at my desk at that time of year. But I still don't know how to take her gestures I guess. We do seem to get along well while talking, but I also actively fight my urge to text her which I'm sure is not helping me from the things you write.

• Author

dispatch3d - Out of curiosity, why do you actively fight the urge to text her? Has she indicated that she's not a big texter/prefers to only use texting for logistics, planning etc. rather than just general conversation? Obviously for most people there is a line between texting too much and just enough to keep your rapport and connection going, but unless there has been some indication that she doesn't want you texting her that much (or if you're still in the early stages and are afraid of coming on too strong or something, but it doesn't sound like that's the case), I wouldn't worry too much about trying to hold back. Of course her preferences may be different from mine, but if she is really into you and isn't against texting, I'm sure she would be happy to hear from you and to know you're thinking of her.

What do you mean by you find it hard to be yourself? This may not be what you were referring to, but I do think there is a lot to be said for being yourself when it comes to showing her how you feel. This sounds sort of corny but have you ever heard about or taken those questionnaires about your "love language"? If you don't already know, it may be helpful in figuring out what your "love language" is, meaning how you yourself tend to express love (whether through gifts, physical affection, doing things to help her out, verbally telling her, etc.) Knowing that may help you think of ways of showing her you care that come more naturally to you. The other alternative may be just to try a variety of things (like some of the things I suggested in my last post) and trying to gauge her reaction to them and learning what she appreciates the most. Or, if it's not too awkward, you could of course always just ask her! Though I know that wouldn't be the ideal course of action for some people (including me).