Are some people naturally happier single?

Honestly - I don’t know. It is hard to find unbiased statistics. I don’t believe people answering questionnaires ...

But it could be you’re right because of the hormonal makeup of men. The much higher testosterone is probably not to be underestimated.

I'm not talking about questionnaires. I'm talking about real people.

I don't think it's inherently bad if men have higher sex drives, the problems start with the lying and games.

To stay relevant to the thread, my point was men are much, much more likely to see a lot of women they are attracted to. It's more difficult for them esp younger ones to write off women completely. In the process of trying to holla at a bunch of women, he might find a romantic partner.

Edited by hotpotato

Temptation is the hardest thing about being married to me as a guy.

But then there's so many hard things about being married anyway really it's no real wonder many prefer staying single.

Here is my take. I live in a Condo. I have a boy Cat. I work at the leading teaching Hospital in my city which is a 20 min bus ride.

I don't have this need to constantly have someone around me, but I am not a loner.

Its tricky. I am 46. My lat gf was 2012. Its been short dating since then. With the current dynamic of my life. I don't even feel like I am missing out for the most part. At best, I feel like I should let a woman make the moves on me.

It seems to work out better for me. I have lots of friends and family that can interact with. So its not like I am alone for the most part.

If I could overide my desire for physical affection. Then I could be single for life and be good. All I think of being single is that its the ultimate freedom, but the flipside of that is no physical/verbal affection.

This yr for the most part. I have stopped trying to date and make things happen. My stress level has gone down because of it. I think in our love lives. They can't really be all ideal, because a persons moods change all the time.

I'm sure some people are happier single, no doubt. But is it natural or as a result of experience?

I'm 29 and been single for most of my life and I've never really had a truly healthy relationship. I've gone through periods of being very happy single and not looking for a relationship and times of wanting one. When I got into my first real relationship, I wasn't looking. That relationship opened my eyes to what it could really be to love and be loved. Since then, I have wanted a relationship. But, I have no desire to be in any old relationship for the sake of it, I want that special, lifetime thing. Which brings with it a certain pressure whenever I do date.

On the flip side, I am perfectly content being single. I own my house, have a good job, good relationships with friends and family and will not die if that continues. I also have anxiety surrounding relationships as I am very afraid of being hurt. When I like someone, I'm locked in and if it ends, it takes me a very long time to get over it.

I do want a relationship though and most (not all) people do. That's why people get into relationships, the hope that it is better than being alone. I miss the closeness you get with someone and my sex drive only really appears when I'm interested in someone, and I love sex! All of my friends are also coupled. If I don't do the things I want to do with them, my choices are to do it alone or not at all. They always have another back up. I do lots and lots of things alone - cinema, holidays etc. but I would prefer not to have to always do them alone.

Cookiesandough
You’re right there is certain state of coupledness that is even more blissful than being single but these are so rare, like unicorns. Most couples are together for practical reasons or some kind of social validation (that’s why I was joking with the burning desire of some women to get engaged - i.e. ringed- just reminds me so much of ringing birds which I’ve done as a hobby that I find it laughable)

At this stage of my life, for coupledness(��this word) to be better than my imagination and pillow the guy would literally have to say everything I think of in my head that I want him to say at the exact time I want him to say it. Also he would have to be cool and soft when I tangle him between my legs ...not all hot, sweaty, sharp angles...in other words, it’s impossibru

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 1

Like someone else said, it's a different kind of happiness. I think it also depends if you have kids, want kids in the future and how old your kids are.

When I was single, I was also very happy. Happier than when I was in a relationship. But I also knew THAT kind of happiness is very limiting too. You can only connect with friends, travel alone, do your own thing for so long before you want to seek NEW, much deeper experiences. (Well I did anyway).

The beauty of being in a relationship is it just feels different to experience things WITH someone you love. Doing things take on a different level of joy and happiness - I can still do my own thing but now I'd have my partner come in to give me a kiss every now and then or just hold me when I'm having a bad day - you're not going to get little moments like this on your own.

Or even just seeing how my partner will grow and develop as a person is very attractive to me - knowing I'd played a part in his life and made it better somehow. It's one thing to make myself happy - that I can feel for a moment. But to know you've made someone else happy, that's a different level.

That's why I also mention it depends on whether you have kids or not. And how close you are to your kids. I know women who couldn't get to that level of closeness and love with a man, so they have children to experience it that way.

But the problem there is kids grow up. And they will (and should) eventually leave the nest. And then what? Friends also have their own life or start having a family of their own.

It depends what you want out of life I guess. If you want to reach the highest level of human experience, it's going to be impossible without a romantic relationship. That's just how it is. If you just want to avoid drama and be content on your own - that's ok too. Either way there will be unhappy moments no matter which path you take.

• Like 1

Oh noooooo hot & hard any time :cool: Actually without these two parameters a guy can't add up much to my life I think... Until someone proves me wrong :D

But I swear mind-reading guys do exist - it is just a matter of fine-tuning ;)

At this stage of my life, for coupledness(��this word) to be better than my imagination and pillow the guy would literally have to say everything I think of in my head that I want him to say at the exact time I want him to say it. Also he would have to be cool and soft when I tangle him between my legs ...not all hot, sweaty, sharp angles...in other words, it’s impossibru
  • Like 1