Would you seriously date someone with no social media at all?

My boyfriend is not on any social media, none of those you mentioned and no others. It's actually liberating. I don't have to deal with the social media drama like why he's online and not replying to me, why he likes this and that and not my pictures, etc. I have learn to know him by spending time with him, the good old ways.

I am on FB and I visit it maybe once a week. Social media aren't interesting to me.

• Like 4

I have FaceBook and LinkedIn, but I rarely check my FaceBook any more. I'll check it if I have a notification. I got tired of all the drama it caused when dating, so I just stopped using it for the most part. I had to deal with the following:

• Who is that girl that tagged you in that photo?
  • Why weren't you the first one to like my picture?
  • Why don't you upload any pictures of us and tag me?
  • Why are all of the pictures on your FaceBook so old?
  • Who are all of these girls wishing you happy birthday?

Thus, I would have no problem dating a woman with no social media presence.

• Like 3

My boyfriend teaches Internet security at the local college.

He has no social media. He thinks it's a waste of time and a security risk.

• Like 6
Happy Lemming

No Social Media for me... Never had it, Never will.

If I want to interact with my friends, I call them up (on my land-line), invite them over for dinner, where we eat together and talk face to face.

• Like 3
Eternal Sunshine

Security risk of what? Most of us are just average people that nobody could care less about. My colleagues are very tech savvy and all have social media.

I have found that people that take obsessive precautions to retain their privacy tend to be conspiracy theorists type. “Government is spying on us”. Government could care less about 10 pictures of my cat.

• Like 2
Security risk of what? Most of us are just average people that nobody could care less about. My colleagues are very tech savvy and all have social media.

I have found that people that take obsessive precautions to retain their privacy tend to be conspiracy theorists type. “Government is spying on us”. Government could care less about 10 pictures of my cat.

If ALL you'll EVER have is 10 pictures of your cat, you're good. I'm one of those I/T security guys (retired). I'm on social media but I'm very careful about my content. The government IS spying on us. That's why Snowden fled the country and why his highly secure email service, lavabit (google it) (which I used as well), had to shut itself down for years to protect its other customers from Federal intrusion.

The government is not the biggest risk. When you phone your bank to request a transaction, how do they verify it's you? Social security number? Birth date? Mother's maiden name? What information has each of your medical providers collected in order to submit insurance claims? These and dozens (hundreds?) of other Personally Identifiable Information (PII) data points are in government and business databases all over the country or the world. The database, security, and system administrators of the systems that host those databases, including social media and BTW OLD, know that if they sell those databases with the PII of thousands of individuals to 'crackers' that it is almost impossible that the sale will be noticed, let alone that they will be caught.

I've dealt with local, state, and federal law enforcement on I/T security breaches. Local and state are ignorant enough to be useless. The last time I spoke to the FBI, the agent told me he had a seven year backlog. Security risk? You decide.

• Like 2
lucy_in_disguise

No social media would be a plus for me as well. I'm not the government conspiracy type but I value my privacy and do not see a purpose to uploading all of the minute details of my life to the web. I also find being around people who are glued to their phones really annoying. There are far more fulfilling ways to communicate.

The only other consideration with meeting someone with no social media online would be safety. Whether it's rational or not, finding someone's social media offers some confirmation that they are who they say they are. I would be extra cautious with meeting an "unverified" stranger by making sure we met in a public place, having my own transportation, letting someone know where I was going and with whom, etc.

These precautions should be taken at all times anyway but they'd be closer to the top of my mind if I had no information about my date besides his profile.

• Like 1

Let's keep this on topic, this thread isn't about Government spying on the users.. it's about whether or not you would date someone who has no social media.

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers

People have different levels of comfort around privacy. A tech lover and early internet adopter myself, I never liked having all my business out there online for anybody to dig up. This feeling intensified when a dejected lover began stalking me and sending my friends ominous messages on Facebook. I know other people who have experienced similar.

[]

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Topical content
  • Like 2

My SO has a flip phone. Has no clue how to use a smart phone, is mildly proficient on my computer (only when he wants to look up something pertaining to his work), has no facebook, or any other social media.

Its so refreshing.

• Like 2
It's the digital age and a lot of dating has gone digital. I hear a lot of people say they e-stalk their dates to get a better idea of who the person is. I am wondering how many people would date someone with no social media at all. Let's say you didn't meet through friends or family, but they seem great but they don't have a facebook,linkedin,instagram or even a whitepages page.You cannot find one trace of this person online. Would you date them?

No social media AT ALL - meaning no LinkedIn, professional website etc strongly suggests unemployed dude. If he’s nonexistent online: likely a dude with criminal history.

However, the other extreme: 20+ year old dude posting pics of his sweetey and friends - suggests immature guy who is not capable of adult functions like dating.

• Like 3

i recokon it'd be pretty shallow to not date someone on the basis that they didnt have any social media

where does the list stop i only date people who earn.....i only want people who drive ...............my horroscope says i am compatible with................

you dont know what life thows at people and what or when things you have that make you seem cool and stable in the eyes of your freinds or society that can change in a heartbeat.

if people were so bothered about what magazines say they should be wearing, what clubs they should go to etc....it would make me probably not be that up to date them...what happened to individual's these days....do we all need to be spoon fed by social media and consesus views?.

• Like 1
normal person
No. Someone who leaves no digital footprint of any kind is not making any mark on the world, and I’m not interested in someone like that.

Because people taking countless pictures of themselves in the mirror and of their pasta from Cheesecake Factory are really advancing the cause of humanity, right? And Elon Musk would be nothing without his Instagram, right?

I have a Facebook basically just to keep in a modicum of touch with people I rarely see anymore. I go on it less and less every month. Why? Because 90% of it is trivial, mundane, and pointless self aggrandizing from insecure people who think other people care a lot more than they actually do. If social media gets used for work or some kind of actual benefit, I can see the use for it. But in a lot of instances, it doesn't. Some people aren't glued to social media all day because they're busy actually making mark on the world, not just making other people think they are.

• Like 3

I work in a highly-regulated industry and you can learn from my one easy-to-find social media account that I exist, that I am employed, and the metro area I live in. That's it.

I don't wear a tinfoil hat, I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but there are companies that see social media as a compliance concern, and rightfully so IMHO..

Do I have something to hide? Absolutely! Does it have anything to do with dating? No, not at all.

• Like 3
Because people taking countless pictures of themselves in the mirror and of their pasta from Cheesecake Factory are really advancing the cause of humanity, right? And Elon Musk would be nothing without his Instagram, right?

Not everyone with a social media presence does that. Most people use LinkedIn just for work. Many people use Twitter and IG for activism. FB is full of people sharing useful links to articles for work. I guess it depends on who you friend and who you follow. I wouldn’t date anyone who took selfies or took photos of their food.

• Like 2
i recokon it'd be pretty shallow to not date someone on the basis that they didnt have any social media

where does the list stop i only date people who earn.....i only want people who drive ...............my horroscope says i am compatible with................

What’s wrong with that? I only date people who earn enough to be self-sufficient, because I’m nobody’s meal ticket. I only date people who drive small cars, preferably electric or hybrid. I would not date someone who drove a diesel (unless a work vehicle like a tractor) or a SUV (unless they were a game ranger) or any car that cost more than the most modest home. It’s about finding people who share your values.

• Like 1

My boyfriend now doesn't really use computers though we met on-line. He only really reads the paper on-line. No facebook, or any of that. I'm fine with it, though I have helped him with a couple of applications because he's just not into computers like I am. We are from two different worlds but I love him.

• Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough
I seriously hope so because the only social media I use is LinkedIn! You wouldn’t date anyone with no social media presence cookies?

I don't mind. But a lot of people I know share Toots's and no_go's opinion. A LOT. If they'll still even entertain a date they'll have a strong bias against. You're good, though. You have a linkedin

=/

Edited by Cookiesandough

Gotta be a joke right. As if things aren't mad enough what now your suppose to have soceal media .

Don't have it never will never been a problem for me, think l'd laugh in her face and dodge that bullet quick smart if it was.

• Like 1

In a society like today , it’s not easy to find someone who isn’t on social media especially FB!

It IS an evil for relationships especially where people keep pictures of their exes after break ups and divorces. Self destruction!

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
No social media AT ALL - meaning no LinkedIn, professional website etc strongly suggests unemployed dude. If he’s nonexistent online: likely a dude with criminal history.

In addition to no social media presence, I have no LinkedIn, either. I've never been unemployed in my life. When I was ready to make a change or move, I called my "head hunter" and had her place me at my next position.

I also have NO criminal history.

• Like 2

I guess from what I can gather, you, OP, view someone without a social media account as someone who might have something to hide and so may not be a trustworthy person in the long run? Well while I can see where you're coming from, I really don't think that someone not having a social media account, in itself, is an indicator that someone is shady...honestly I commend people who aren't addicted to social media. I seriously have no idea how they do it. I love to take social media breaks every now and then for a few months or so but I usually find myself coming back.

Social media can seriously just be extremely toxic. If you're able to live a life without relying on social media, more power to you, in my opinion.

I've get a call from a recruiter who found my profile on LinkedIn every once in a great while. That being said, I've applied for tons of job posting and never got a call for anything I've applied to. It's like online dating.

• Like 1
major_merrick

I am in my early 30's, and unlike practically everyone else in my age group, I refuse to join social media. I have a great job, and I have no need to be "linked in" because I get my connections the old-fashioned way...person to person. I have no Facebook, Twitter, or whatever. I just refuse. It just seems so useless and fake, and that's on top of the major liability issues. Nobody wants to see drunk pictures, and it makes it way too easy to get stalked.

Personally, if I was dating again, I would be very suspicious of anyone who has more than one, maybe two forms of social media. It is detrimental to relationships and has been linked to depression. I don't ever want to have to tell someone I'm in a relationship with to put their phone away!

• Like 2