Online dating profile review [updated: profile review v2]

Cookiesandough

I think it depends on the man. It depends on you. Be natural!!! Nothing worse than looking “forced” If the man is a broody, intellectual introvert he might get more attention not smiling and looking away from the camera. If he has great smile and a friendly and energetic nature, he should smile. OkCupid(dating site) did a study on it and found:

Men, Smiles are Out of Style: OkCupid discovered that men who look away from the camera and don't smile have a much higher chance of getting a response than those who look directly into the camera. OkCupid CEO, Sam Yagan, guesses the reason that guys who look at the camera get less messages than those who don't is because it's intimidating to women. Valdez says this could be the case but believes it may also have to do with the fact that a typical "customer service photo" pose makes you look like you care too much and are seeking approval. "By not looking," he said, "you appear stronger and more challenging while simultaneously building aura and mystique."

Keep in mind, this study has been reproduced and it did not hold up!! Probably because they used pics of guys with good, genuine smiles. It’s important you look genuine and comfortable, and not like you’re “trying too hard”

It’s also important that you get the gist of you/your vibe and you look your sharpest so you attract not only women but ones who fit in with you. If you want and feel that you are an adventurer, maybe put a picture of you out in nature or climbing or doing something adventurous. List goes on.

*Avoid flash if possible. Natural light

From what I see, there are plenty of good looking -- I mean really good looking like models, lawyers, doctors with perfect face and body, but BUT none of them look real.

And they don't typically share much human side in profile, which makes me assume there are plenty of dead or catfish accounts.

Just keep trying, and if nothing return, don't take it personally.

Cookiesandough

Bumble does Have a ton of fake profiles. There was someone I knew who was on it and there were a ton of people that were in “medical school” but there was no medical school anywhere close to her location. It also stacks the most swiped/highest Elo in there with the fakes to attract newcomers. But as you continue through you will start to see people more representative of the norm.

But I agree I did not like the selection on there. I honestly felt like I was browsing a J.Crew catalog.

Edited by Cookiesandough
I've taken some photography classes and have a pretty good camera so I thought I could give the camera to a friend and get a pretty good picture.

Aside from a professional looking suit what else should I do in the picture? Face the camera straight on, from the side, what kind of background, what kind of pose, etc

From what I can tell bumble gives you a main profile picture and then the option of adding a few more. She will have to swipe through all your pics before messaging you or even reading anything so I understand how important the pictures are here.

No you can swipe on the first pic and I would think most people do. The extra photos and profile are if they liked the first one.

I normally swipe through all the pictures, hoping for a body shot.

I swear I am not a paid schill for the photofeeler site, but I had my pictures ranked on there, replaced them, and had two matches from two quality ladies within a day.

I highly recommend having others (you don't need to pay for a site, just have a few friends do it) review your pics. At least for me, I was not the best judge of what looked good! Who knew rocking my wife beater tee and trucker hat with a crack pipe in one hand and a 40 oz in the other wasn't my best look?!

bumble doesnt work for me even when i swipe right on everyone it like it only shows me inactive people i get matches on tinder and badoo so confused i ended up deleting bumble

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author

I was all set to sign up for Bumble before, but I've been pretty busy and actually went on a couple dates from Match that didn't go anywhere. I'd really appreciate some feedback on my profile. I incorporated suggestions from the 1st one I put up and wanted to get your thoughts before doing this one.

I’m a well-rounded true gentleman who is also a business owner, athlete, chocolatier, and Disney enthusiast who loves both being active as well as taking the time to sit back and relax. I’ve traveled extensively and go hiking in the summer and skiing in the winter. My camera comes along on all my trips and I’ve enjoyed taking some great pictures.

My favorite form of exercise is battling on the tennis court, but I’ve got lots of other ones I enjoy as well. All that exercise can work up an appetitive and I’m on a first name basis with the staff at several restaurants. When I get a break, I can be found watching comedies as well as action shows and movies. I’ve also been a voracious reader my whole life and have a seemingly endless supply of books/magazines on different topics I read when I get the chance.

No matter where people know me they tend to comment on my character and people that know me better enjoy my sense of humor.

• Like 1

Some blunt feedback here:

From the way that reads, I wouldn't believe your claim to have a sense of humour.

Don't talk about having a sense of humour - inject it.

You need to lighten it up in other ways too.

It alternates between sounding stuffy and braggy.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Redact full quote of starting post
  • Like 3
Cookiesandough

Imo, it is too long (will that even fit on a swipe app?) Keep it to your first sentence or something around that long. This one is longer than your Match one.

I agree that it doesn’t show off enough personality and is too showy

No waffles :(

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 3

Get rid of the bit about being on first name basis with restaurant staff.

Oh and you're a chocolatier? Why isn't that expanded upon? That one word "chocolatier" is pretty much the only thing I care about!

• Like 1

The bragging part is the first thing I noticed. First name basis on the best restaurants? Yawn, maybe a gold digger or professional dater would be delighted to hear that, not self-reliant women.

• Like 1
Cookiesandough

I would read first sentence and stop reading. Just be very bored. Hopefully you’re extremely cute

The best bumble profile I’ve seen a guy have began with “Listen here, mother*****ers”

But truly I do not think that will even fit

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 1
CommittedToThis

I, too, am in the camp that this profile comes across as full of itself, bragging, boastful -- you get the picture.

Perhaps tone things down a bit.

• Author
The bragging part is the first thing I noticed. First name basis on the best restaurants? Yawn, maybe a gold digger or professional dater would be delighted to hear that, not self-reliant women.

I didn't say at the "best restaurants". I said "several restaurants" A lot of places I go to are small local places that aren't expensive or what would be considered the "best".

I've seen lots of profiles that say they enjoy trying new restaurants so I was trying to think of a way to say I like going out to restaurants in a different way

• Author
Imo, it is too long (will that even fit on a swipe app?) Keep it to your first sentence or something around that long. This one is longer than your Match one.

What was showy? Saying I'm well rounded? I'm just trying to figure out how to mention things I'm interested in to see if I have things in common with her.

How would you fix it within the short space you're given? Besides adding the waffles back in of course?

• Like 1
  • Author
Get rid of the bit about being on first name basis with restaurant staff.

Oh and you're a chocolatier? Why isn't that expanded upon? That one word "chocolatier" is pretty much the only thing I care about!

I hoped that would draw her in! There's such limited space I don't know what to emphasize and try to explain more about and what to leave out.

• Like 1
I didn't say at the "best restaurants". I said "several restaurants" A lot of places I go to are small local places that aren't expensive or what would be considered the "best".

I've seen lots of profiles that say they enjoy trying new restaurants so I was trying to think of a way to say I like going out to restaurants in a different way

Yes, instead you're an adventurous eater, you're saying you've got a few restaurants on rotatation :laugh:

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

Hey Cookies... what if it said

"Waffles ??"

and nothing else

• Like 1

none of this **** matters. Are you good looking? I mean, really good looking? With good pics? Put all your pics you're considering on something like photofeeler and get votes. You can say "duur I like purty rocks" and as long as you look like Tom Brady you're all good. You can write all about your wonderful active life and tennis playing and eating out at restaurants and if you're not a 9 or a 10 you may get the occasional swipe from a desperate, likely traditionally, historically, unattractive woman or the random 6 who likes what you have to say. Then, look forward to the 6 not actually messaging you before the 24 hours are up. All the 7's and above have 1000 men to swipe through and won't have time for you if you aren't supermodel quality.

good luck brother!

• Like 1

This is what I had on Tinder

Your new plus one. Wear heels. I am 6'2" and love to dance. Active & Health-conscious. Prefer red wine or dark beer. Cool under pressure. Smarter than a 5th grader. Able to leap tall buildings in a single-- well, nevermind. Just swipe right so we can see how amazing we are together.

I wasn't on long but it seemed to work. My future wife super liked me in less than a month.

• Like 6

My man, this is a very generic profile. Everybody is funny in their own ways. Do not directly say you're funny and witty. Say something that's funny and witty. Actions speak louder than words. I'm a funny guy, but you'll never know it unless you meet me in person. That's why it's best to leave it off your profile.

Also, no need to bring money in the equation. I'm a sports writer, I don't make a whole lot of money, and I land lots of dates. Instead, put that you're college educated, like I do. That's attractive and will win you good women.

Lastly, a simple sentence stating I'm athletic or I work out is sufficient enough. Tell her about your tennis hobbies later down the road.

This would be perfect: I'm a lover of food, an exotic traveling photographer, college educated, and an athlete. Throw in a funny or witty statement at the end if you'd like.

• Like 2
none of this **** matters. Are you good looking? I mean, really good looking? With good pics? Put all your pics you're considering on something like photofeeler and get votes. You can say "duur I like purty rocks" and as long as you look like Tom Brady you're all good. You can write all about your wonderful active life and tennis playing and eating out at restaurants and if you're not a 9 or a 10 you may get the occasional swipe from a desperate, likely traditionally, historically, unattractive woman or the random 6 who likes what you have to say. Then, look forward to the 6 not actually messaging you before the 24 hours are up. All the 7's and above have 1000 men to swipe through and won't have time for you if you aren't supermodel quality.

good luck brother!

Right on dude.

Peoples attention span nowadays are about 3-5 seconds if you’re lucky. The first thing they would look for and notice is your photograph and if you don’t catch their attention in the first 3-5 seconds then that prospect is out. I’d spend a lot of money on 3-4 great quality photos ie. hire a professional photographer because they would know how to take your photo to get the most out of your good side/position correctly, utilize proper lighting and I would just keep my profile simple like those two above. They gave great advice.

Edited by Interstellar
I almost prefer when they don’t have a profile because most of the time they are a turn off to me. I can’t count the plethora of profiles that include:

1) Travel! Get your passport ready!

2) Love to laugh

3) Like spontaneous adventure

4) Dirty martinis (I don’t know what makes a drink dirty nor do I care as I don’t drink)

5) Looking for my “partner in crime”

6) Know the difference between they’re, their, and there

7) “Big Fan” of the Oxford comma - honestly, I’d rather here about your menstrual cycles than your grammar snobbery.

8) ”Love exploring everything this great city are has to offer”

9) Tacos! - Seriously? WTF?

10) And lets not forget....”NO HOOKUPS!”

It’s the same tired profile again, and again, and again.

Perhaps it’s NYC? Perhaps I need a break lol.

Definitely not a NYC thing. It's the same here in Indiana. I've also been thinking of moving to California and it's the same there.

I find it incredibly funny and hypocritical that women want you to have this WOW! profile to grab there attention however there profile is basic and all the same to the next female.