Online dating profile review [updated: profile review v2]

Be attractive, don't be unattractive are the main two I tips I have. I think the profile you had in the original post of your last thread is OK length, but no longer than that. The whole concept of dating apps is to make it brisk, so don't worry too much about the writing and just make sure you get down the main points down.

Exactly this.

Don’t get excited when you get matches. Most will let them expire. I used to use my free daily extend but I don’t even bother (though I dated one girl who required it I found out later - went along with her entitlement so it did score me some P for a few months). Especially when they matched you - they know they have to send a message. A lot of time wasters on bumble.

The remainder will send you a “Hi” and then the convo will fade - if they even respond again. This has happened a lot to me.

The ones who are interested usually make it obvious. Those are the ones to focus on. But dates will have mixed success after meeting in person.

Your best bet is good pics. I’ve had many women say I’m much better looking in person which means I need better pics (but too lazy at this point).

That said I have done fairly well and haven’t been dry for long (good or bad).

And bumble will front load the most swiped profiles so you’ll see the attractiveness decline the more you swipe.

• Like 1

Sites like Tinder and Bumble are very superficial. On sites like Tinder and Bumble, It's 95% looks. Your bio doesn't matter all that much, your personality or interests don't really matter too much. That's why you should treat it solely as a hookup app, anything more than that is simply a bonus.

Basically the closer you are to what your society defines as the physical ideal, the more successful you will likely be. In America's case, that's going to be a 6 ft tall good looking white guy who isn't too fat or too skinny.

If you're short (under 5 ft 7), don't even bother... You're wasting your time.

If you're fat, don't even bother... You're wasting your time.

If you're not attractive, don't even bother... You're wasting your time.

Edited by GuitarGuy7
  • Like 5
Sites like Tinder and Bumble are very superficial. On sites like Tinder and Bumble, It's 95% looks. Your bio doesn't matter all that much, your personality or interests don't really matter too much. That's why you should treat it solely as a hookup app, anything more than that is simply a bonus.

Basically the closer you are to what your society defines as the physical ideal, the more successful you will likely be. In America's case, that's going to be a 6 ft tall good looking white guy who isn't too fat or too skinny.

lot of gray area in there

Cookiesandough

Are you sure, Guitarguy7? Are you saying all the basic guys I encountered on there are wasting their time? Why would someone do that? If it's garnering 0 results, why not just stick to IRL? What could be worse than zero.

Most of the guys I've been on dates with have looked pretty basic. Maybe you're only going for the top 10% of girls or something.

Edited by Cookiesandough

[quote=Cookiesandough;7509521

Most of the guys I've been on dates with have looked pretty basic. Maybe you're only going for the top 10% of girls

looked being the operative word

• Like 1
Cookiesandough

Their personalities were pretty basic too but I thought would be too mean to say. I mean they were just typical people. They weren't charismatic Greek Gods. I try to date within my league

Are you sure, Guitarguy7? Are you saying all the basic guys I encountered on there are wasting their time? Why would someone do that? If it's garnering 0 results, why not just stick to IRL? What could be worse than zero.

Most of the guys I've been on dates with have looked pretty basic.

I get what you're trying to say, I mean anybody can have success with finding someone online but it's going to be harder the less attractive you are, I think that's well known it's just knowing when to leave and to take a break.

It's just that with my personal experience with Tinder, it's mostly about looks. I often see profiles of girls with no bio or a bio that says nothing about them and I don't like that. I want to get to know a girl and see what she's like. I like girls who have personality but it's hard to see that through Tinder.

• Like 1
I get what you're trying to say, I mean anybody can have success with finding someone online but it's going to be harder the less attractive you are, I think that's well known it's just knowing when to leave and to take a break.

It's just that with my personal experience with Tinder, it's mostly about looks. I often see profiles of girls with no bio or a bio that says nothing about them and I don't like that. I want to get to know a girl and see what she's like. I like girls who have personality but it's hard to see that through Tinder.

I almost prefer when they don’t have a profile because most of the time they are a turn off to me. I can’t count the plethora of profiles that include:

1) Travel! Get your passport ready!

2) Love to laugh

3) Like spontaneous adventure

4) Dirty martinis (I don’t know what makes a drink dirty nor do I care as I don’t drink)

5) Looking for my “partner in crime”

6) Know the difference between they’re, their, and there

7) “Big Fan” of the Oxford comma - honestly, I’d rather here about your menstrual cycles than your grammar snobbery.

8) ”Love exploring everything this great city are has to offer”

9) Tacos! - Seriously? WTF?

10) And lets not forget....”NO HOOKUPS!”

It’s the same tired profile again, and again, and again.

Perhaps it’s NYC? Perhaps I need a break lol.

• Like 2
My search is for white women between 30 and 40 never married, no kids, no smoking, no tattoos. I thought maybe bumble would have more people in that range.

I think you also forgot to mention, attractive. Basically, you're looking for a unicorn on a dating website. Also, that website requires the woman to initiate, so you have even less of a chance, unless you really stand out, because the woman has to go out of their way to put in the effort.

I almost prefer when they don’t have a profile because most of the time they are a turn off to me. I can’t count the plethora of profiles that include:

2) Love to laugh

4) Dirty martinis (I don’t know what makes a drink dirty nor do I care as I don’t drink)

7) “Big Fan” of the Oxford comma - honestly, I’d rather here about your menstrual cycles than your grammar snobbery.

Yes, I've noticed that as well. The cliche "must make me laugh" is an automatic left swipe for me. In other words, the man must be a court jester? A person must learn to laugh at themselves, not require a man to play the fool for their amusement. :p

• Like 1
MaleIntuition

Tinder/Bumble is mostly about the pictures. I’ve been using photofeeler to get some feeback. Sometimes we can be pretty terrible at picking good pictures of ourselves. I believe pictures are only an approximation or what we look like in real life - keep that in mind when swiping. There is something to be said about a beautiful transition from smile to laughter that simply no picture can capture.

For men, those apps can be brutal. Approximately girls swipe yes on 15 percent of guys, and guys swipe yes 45 % or times. This means that the best looking men will get a lot of attention while the average looking men (ie. most of us) won’t get that many hits. Luckily looks are somewhat subjective, so hope is not lost. Average looking girls won’t have much trouble getting hits with average looking guys; this means that the competition is real. (The other side of this “problem” is that many girls will wind up chasing the best looking guys whom are less interested in LTR)

On bumble, girls have to write first. In my experience this means that the majority will simply write “hi”: which means that You are responsible for starting an actual conversation.

Bad: “Hey, what’s up”/ “Hey, how are you”

Better: “[Name]! I like that picture from Grand Canyon ;). Where you at the southern rim?” It’s not a very flirty opener but it starts a conversation and shows that you are paying attention to her profile.

I think the most common mistakes are a) boring (generic conversation) and b) waiting to long to ask for a date.

Tinder/Bumble is mostly about the pictures. I’ve been using photofeeler to get some feeback. Sometimes we can be pretty terrible at picking good pictures of ourselves. I believe pictures are only an approximation or what we look like in real life - keep that in mind when swiping. There is something to be said about a beautiful transition from smile to laughter that simply no picture can capture.

For men, those apps can be brutal. Approximately girls swipe yes on 15 percent of guys, and guys swipe yes 45 % or times. This means that the best looking men will get a lot of attention while the average looking men (ie. most of us) won’t get that many hits. Luckily looks are somewhat subjective, so hope is not lost. Average looking girls won’t have much trouble getting hits with average looking guys; this means that the competition is real. (The other side of this “problem” is that many girls will wind up chasing the best looking guys whom are less interested in LTR)

On bumble, girls have to write first. In my experience this means that the majority will simply write “hi”: which means that You are responsible for starting an actual conversation.

Bad: “Hey, what’s up”/ “Hey, how are you”

Better: “[Name]! I like that picture from Grand Canyon ;). Where you at the southern rim?” It’s not a very flirty opener but it starts a conversation and shows that you are paying attention to her profile.

I think the most common mistakes are a) boring (generic conversation) and b) waiting to long to ask for a date.

All very true.

For me, the “Hi” opener is a huge turn off. Cookies said that a lot of girls are petrified to do more than that, but I’ve found that it is usually indicative of a lack of interest.

Sometimes I say “Hi” back when I’m annoyed or have mild interest. On a few I was interested in I tried a response like “Great pic of you...where was that taken” as they give you nothing to work with.

Those failed as well by lack of a response so I ultimately unmatched.

The ones who are interested often ask a question about you or one of your pics.

• Like 2

2) Love to laugh

hahaha this is what guys have on their profiles too on the west coast. Also the word "adventure" is in every single profile hahaha I finally met someone worth my while who asked me nervously if we should delete profiles on NYE(we met on OKC) I was more than happy to!!

• Author

I tried Eharmony for a year or so and probably went on around 10 actual dates, none of which went anywhere.

Then I tried match for 6 months and went on 3 actual dates. Had quite a few conversations or interests, but was never able to get to the stage where I meet them in person. Eharmony had a really low price so I signed up again for 3 months and there's basically no new women in the past year. As I said before I heard bumble had some more younger people so I thought that may work.

My pictures obviously didn't work too well with match or eharmony, so I'll try and find some new ones.

It's been over 5 years since I dated anyone seriously and I'd really like meet someone

Cookiesandough

Question for the enlightened: Anyone have a guess the percentage of the time men swipe right on women? I hear 45%. Anyone think it's closer to 90% or would they need to be a little more discriminate because of the max daily swipes?

• Author
Question for the enlightened: Anyone have a guess the percentage of the time men swipe right on women? I hear 45%. Anyone think it's closer to 90% or would they need to be a little more discriminate because of the max daily swipes?

What I don't understand with these dating sites is why I just get ignored so often. On match.com I've gotten a few messages from women that I wasn't interested in and I send them something letting them know they weren't what I was looking for, but they're perfect for a lot of guys and wishing them good luck. If I come across someone on the search I'm not interested in I close them out so I disappear from their search.

With these women I've messaged some message me back that I'm awesome, funny, or whatever and then never respond again and never close me or anything. Most never respond or even look at my profile. Very frustrating!

• Like 1
MaleIntuition
What I don't understand with these dating sites is why I just get ignored so often. On match.com I've gotten a few messages from women that I wasn't interested in and I send them something letting them know they weren't what I was looking for, but they're perfect for a lot of guys and wishing them good luck. If I come across someone on the search I'm not interested in I close them out so I disappear from their search.

With these women I've messaged some message me back that I'm awesome, funny, or whatever and then never respond again and never close me or anything. Most never respond or even look at my profile. Very frustrating!

The harsh truth is that they probably found someone whom they are more interested in (ie. better pictures). That’s another reason why it’s good to try to plan a quick date just after a few back and forth messages. Until you’ve met in person you are jus another random match for them.

The harsh truth is that they probably found someone whom they are more interested in (ie. better pictures). That’s another reason why it’s good to try to plan a quick date just after a few back and forth messages. Until you’ve met in person you are jus another random match for them.

To add, women have literally HUNDREDS of guys messaging them. Unless you are in the top 90% of looks they typically will go with a guy who they are more attracted to.

Spend money and a hire a professional to take your photographs. At least one in a professional looking suit. That would greatly increase your odds.

Edited by Interstellar

I think you’re being way too hard on yourself. I empathize with you though. Let’s say I put a young Brad Pitt onstage and I invite 100 beautiful women to judge and critique him. I can guarantee you that there will be at least ten to fifteen women who won’t find him that attractive, some of them would think he’s too short, or too tall, or too young, or too blonde, too feminine, or too beautiful, etc..etc...

Being tall and handsome only gets you to the front door. It doesn’t guarantee you a first date, second date, third, fourth, fifth, six...etc It doesn’t guarantee you a successful relationship. Besides you only need one good woman who thinks you’re a ten in the looks and personality department. She’s out there but when you meet her would you be ready?

If I work on improving myself then when the time comes I’ll be ready and I’ll hold onto her and she won’t get rid of me.

Tinder/Bumble is mostly about the pictures. I’ve been using photofeeler to get some feeback.

I'd yet to hear of this site. But I plugged a few bucks into it just now and uploaded some pics. All the pics of me I thought were best have gotten the worst scores; and others I uploaded fared much better. THis is not a plug and I have nothing to do with this site, but thanks brother!

• Like 1
New York Strip Steak
Be attractive, don't be unattractive are the main two tips I have. I think the profile you had in the original post of your last thread is OK length, but no longer than that. The whole concept of dating apps is to make it brisk, so don't worry too much about the writing and just make sure you get down the main points down.

If it’s New York City be rich and famous.

• Like 1
  • Author
Spend money and a hire a professional to take your photographs. At least one in a professional looking suit. That would greatly increase your odds.

I've taken some photography classes and have a pretty good camera so I thought I could give the camera to a friend and get a pretty good picture.

Aside from a professional looking suit what else should I do in the picture? Face the camera straight on, from the side, what kind of background, what kind of pose, etc

From what I can tell bumble gives you a main profile picture and then the option of adding a few more. She will have to swipe through all your pics before messaging you or even reading anything so I understand how important the pictures are here.