Women, do you wear makeup?

todreaminblue
Yesss. but doesn't have to be a bad thing. Change is inevitable part of life. I want embrace every change as a sign of experience and wisdom and a life well lived and I see a lot of beauty in that.

Plus I happen to like eye bags. They call them aegyo sal in korea xD

me too for embracing... and a sense of ...freedom...:0)...eye wrinkles at the corners of the eye are most often call by lots of laffin and smilin...laff and you get wrinkles...i think i might enjoy laffin..and definitely smilin and not cover them or try to ......deb

• Like 2
LivingWaterPlease

Living water - Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it. Even before I heard all that stuff about sunscreen I didn't like it. It makes me feel all dry and chalky and it smells weird.

Sure, Cookiesandough. You're going to love what it does for your skin and also for your coloring. Remember to get the natural rather than the synthetic. The capsules are 4 mg and you're supposed to begin with 4 and work up to about 12 mg. I can't take more than 4 mg, though, as it gives me too much energy!

• Like 1
Oh men get it too. Just focus is elsewhere: e.g. height for man is big, and it’s really something they can’t do anything about..

I have my doubts. People might 'think' unflattering things about men but do they really say things to them like,.. "ooh, you're so SHORT." ... or - insert any other insult about their looks.

I don't think so. I don't see it. You might hear the odd whispered comment behind their backs but even that is rare. The man himself never hears it. Women... nobody cares... they get called fat, ugly... the most horribly insulting things right to their faces as if these people think they have the god given right to tell her.. as if she owes it to society, and specifically to men, to be pretty.

Men at worst get fairly good natured teasing sometimes if they're overweight for example... women get downright anger and hostility directed at them for not looking they way society says they 'should.'

• Like 2
I also grew up around a beach town and noticed the same thing. Those beautiful, sun-loving ladies from my youth all have leathery, wrinkled skin now. They all have the boobs of a 20-year-old and the face of a 45-year-old.

Ha ha... perhaps being Canadian the cold weather has done me some good then. I'm over forty and look like I'm 25... there's my first not so humble brag of 2018.

• Like 2

Men get it worse we just don't care. No one is gonna tell me I look tired as some sort of code that I just look bad. They will just come out and tell me I look like s**t today. Difference is, men just shrug about it, we don't get upset and claim our gender is being treated unfairly.

Ah, but men and women are socialized differently. Women's worth as human beings in our twisted society are tied up with our looks in everyone's mind whether they're conscious of it or not, whereas men aren't valued solely for their looks, so it's a far different scenario. No one hates a man or devalues him for looking like sh**. But women get a far different message.

• Like 1

Tell me, what right do they think they have to come up to your face and tell you how awful you look? "Tired" is just a tamed down way of telling you that. It's always insulting!

If it's a friend who says it, they are saying it because you look tired and they are concerned.

While it may suit your agenda to think that everyone is disguising nastiness in caring, it's simply not true.

• Like 3
Ah, but men and women are socialized differently. Women's worth as human beings in our twisted society are tied up with our looks in everyone's mind whether they're conscious of it or not, whereas men aren't valued solely for their looks, so it's a far different scenario. No one hates a man or devalues him for looking like sh**. But women get a far different message.

I'm female. I have never felt that people see my value as being solely tied up in my looks. Perhaps you're projecting?

• Like 4
todreaminblue
If it's a friend who says it, they are saying it because you look tired and they are concerned.

While it may suit your agenda to think that everyone is disguising nastiness in caring, it's simply not true.

i was a bit anxious when i read about it being offensive when you say someone looks tired....when i say it to someone it is normally a friend i say it to..i actually say it a fair bit....and i only ever mean to say it so they know i am concerned that i notice they look tired ...that i care to see that they are and if they need to talk its an opportunity for them to share why they look so tired......i also you look worried or you seem a bit quiet today or you dont seem yourself..... are you ok.......my friends dont seem to mind....i dont feel that they do....they normally open up to me......i really hope that they dont mind or find me offensive.......i thought it was actually me trying to be a good friend to ask and want them to feel noticed.....good or bad..i also tell them good things i notice......deb

• Like 3
i was a bit anxious when i read about it being offensive when you say someone looks tired....when i say it to someone it is normally a friend i say it to..i actually say it a fair bit....and i only ever mean to say it so they know i am concerned that i notice they look tired ...that i care to see that they are and if they need to talk its an opportunity for them to share why they look so tired......i also you look worried or you seem a bit quiet today or you dont seem yourself..... are you ok.......my friends dont seem to mind....i dont feel that they do....they normally open up to me......i really hope that they dont mind or find me offensive.......i thought it was actually me trying to be a good friend to ask and want them to feel noticed.....good or bad..i also tell them good things i notice......deb

Yes, exactly. I hope that most people aren't cynical enough to interpret concern as an insult.

• Like 3
Eternal Sunshine

I don't use any creams, including sun screen. I know, I know. Up until 2 years ago, I used to go to a beach to get tanned. I am in an office during work week so I may not get as much cumulative sun exposure...I also don't get sun burnt easily.

I would still say that I have a pretty good skin for being in late 30s. It's naturally oily (which I used to hate) and I break out if I try any moisturazer. The only thing I did was get Botox shots on 2 areas every 1-2 years now. I think they make more long term difference than face creams do.

I never wear a foundation or a concealer, I don't even own them....I think I don't need them but I am sure some would disagree :D I just wear eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss to work. A bit of bronzer in winter. When I go out, I add an eye shadow and more dramatic eye liner and mascara. I don't really feel it's a chore because it takes about 5 minutes daily. My hair always looks terrible so it's a much bigger issue :/

• Like 3

Oh yeah I wear makeup all the time, I add eyeliner and mascara and lipstick and the stuff that makes your cheeks red, I do all that.

People at school keep giving me weird looks, I just don't understand why.

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic
I'm female. I have never felt that people see my value as being solely tied up in my looks. Perhaps you're projecting?

I have. But only by one person--my ex-husband.

• Like 1

I grew up in a very religious Christian house hold with super strong gender roles but it was so conservative makeup was a big sin for women, so I have never associated being a woman as having to wear makeup.

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers

Studies have shown that women who wear makeup and dress well fare better at work in terms of pay and promotions than women who don't. And the benefits in the dating marketplace are obvious.

I wear "natural" makeup to work: sheer powder foundation, a hint of blush, mascara, very light wash of eyeshadow, touch of lipstick when I'm in the mood.

I sometimes wear a bit more for going out.

When running errands or visiting family, I often wear none.

• Like 2

I don't like wearing foundation. I get compliments on my skin now and then so I hope I don't miss much. My eyes are too sensitive so I usually skip eye makeup (even organic makes me blink too much). But they have a nice shape so I can live with them being less than perfect and non hypnotising.

I only wear blush (mineral) on a daily basis and lipstick sometimes. These two I really need as they light up my face. Without them I can look a bit washed out even though I am dark haired. I've used up lots of blushes and lipsticks so far!

• Like 1
PhillyLibertyBelle

I love makeup, I see it as an artistic expression of me that adds polish and adds to my appearance. I wear a natural look for work and a bit more for going out. None at the gym though!

• Like 1
Unless you're a real, natural beauty people can be quite openly rude at times or catty if they see you without makeup. Especially if they normally see you wearing it. The world is very hard on women.

If I didn't need it I wouldn't wear it at all... I don't like the time it takes to put it on and just feel it's a whole big hassle. When I go out without makeup, a pair of dark sunglasses keeps people from telling me I look 'tired."

Tell me, what right do they think they have to come up to your face and tell you how awful you look? "Tired" is just a tamed down way of telling you that. It's always insulting!

Everyone is focused on a woman's looks in a way they never are with men. It's another burden we have to put up with.

Pretty sure I'm not a huge natural beauty, but I never wear makeup and I've never gotten this except when I genuinely WAS tired (didn't sleep the previous day so had dark circles around eyes). Indeed if you always wear it and skip a day, people might genuinely mistake the changed appearance as tiredness. Not everyone is familiar with the effects of makeup, especially men - if you look around the makeup threads here for instance you'd see lots of men talking about how great this or that woman looks without makeup, and then as an "example" they link a woman with perfectly-done full face "natural look" makeup. :lmao:

But yeah. I really wouldn't immediately associate those comments with malice. I also really don't think women are always "required" by society to wear makeup in their everyday lives - as I said, I never wear it and am quite happy with my relationship and career. Of course, it depends on the job and the man... but the thing is, we get to choose both of these. If it's important to you to be valued for things other than your appearance, you can make decisions in your life to increase the odds of such.

Is it harder for women than for men? Yeah, probably. Does it suck? Sure, especially in areas other than makeup where there really are strong societal expectations (like hairless legs). But it's not really as extreme or impossible as you make it out to be.

• Like 1

HUH?? What agenda? This is my opinion and my personal experience.

My 'friends' don't tend to say this out of caring as much as people whom I don't know coming in off the street and seeing me in a public place like the grocery store, mostly acquaintances but sometimes even strangers.

As for the people I know... not all of whom are friends... It is a veiled insult more often than not. Especially if you're normally pretty with make up on and they know it. Then, if they're that kind of person, they won't miss the opportunity to find a way to insult you if they see you looking less than perfect. And telling someone how 'tired' they look when they're actually not, is an easy put down to get away with. No one can outright call you on it, but you can usually tell by tone of voice and body language that they're definitely not being "caring". People can be catty.

The world is cruel to women. I can't help if some can't see this....

• Like 1

If I have to spend a couple of hours with continuous and direct exposure to very bright sunlight without any shades (e.g., in a beach in the bright summer), then I would absolutely wear a hat that is good enough to protect myself or even carry an umbrella, as I wouldn't feel comfortable without anyway. I might put on some sunblock in that situation. The thing is, I think this sun protection thing has been blown out of proportion by the cosmetic industry, and we see many women would insist on putting on sunblock whenever they just see a bit of the sun.

I think most 40-year-old women of East Asian origin are mistaken to be 25-30 years old, and I know the skincare routine for many of them consists of putting on a bit of moisturizer in the winter when it feels dry, because, again, their skin would feel uncomfortable otherwise.

If we are talking about fair skin, sun absolutely causes damage. I have certainly seen its affects first hand. Growing up in a beach town, where women loved to tan, we started coining the phase "leather skin ladies". Saw the same thing among my fellow equestrians (we spend a lot of time outside). Wrinkled, spotted, dry skin.

And science backs it, here is a slide show from the Mayo Clinic on the damage sun does to skin.

Specifically how sun damage causes wrinkles:

https://www.mayoclinic.org

[...]

Out here in California, a lot of people spend time outdoors and in the sun. Heck, I can see the effects on most of my friends from high school. We are all outdoorsy types, except for when they were tanning, I was covering up.

(side note, but its common to see local Asian women with driving gloves, massive sun hats or even masks, umbrellas on sunny days etc. They know about sun damage and avoid it on their fair skin)

Now I get comments like "don't you age?!" and I joke about hey - remember when you all teased me for never getting a tan!

Yep, I am going to brag here. People comment on my skin often. They act flabbergasted when I tell them I am 39, and say that the skin on my face makes me appear 10-15 years younger.

You know what got my skin really glowing? Simplifying my routine.

I use Cetaphil cleanser twice a day. A daytime retinal cream with SPF, and a night time retinal cream.

Thats it. This has taken my what used to be blotchy complexion with oily and dry zones to SMOOTH, clear, moisturized and supple.

I used to sell hocus pocus for $100 a half once. I have used some spendy skin care regimes as I was a rep for them in college. My skin looks better now than it ever did with this very very simple and cheap routine.

• Like 1
GorillaTheater
At least women get the socially acceptable option to wear makeup to cover their flaws. A man has to live with them every day.

Some of us just grow beards.

• Like 3

Yeah, men will say they don't like makeup and then point to a "natural looking" model who spent 2 hours in the chair putting her face on. Ever seen Kate Moss without makeup? She just kind of isn't there.

Wear it when you want to and don't wear it when you don't. I started going to makeup artists for lessons in the 1960s for their advice and how to do it right. It was a good thing to do. When out in the music world, I wore a lot of makeup. I wore none as a hippie before that. Since then I wear minimal makeup (because of my age -- the more you put on, it just makes wrinkles more obvious). I'd give anything to have unwrinkled eyes again so I could really bring out my eyes, but oh, well.

Just do what you feel on any given day. Most people look better with makeup, but not everyone is wearing makeup right, so get a few makeup makeovers and take notes.

• Like 4
lucy_in_disguise

I hate putting on makeup but generally feel more confident wearing a minimum. I normally work from home and don't bother, but when I do go in to the office, I will usually mix a drop of foundation into my moisturizer to even out my skin tone, and do my eyebrows, which are very scant.

If I am going out or to a wedding or something, I will also wear eyeshadow and mascara, though I don't like how easily it smudges on me.

I am amazed by women who are able to consistently look totally pulled together with their hair, nails, and makeup always done. Washing my hair, shaving, blow drying my hair, and putting on a full face of makeup takes me no less than 1.5 hours. I find the process very boring so don't often bother. I do think people treat me differently (better) when I've done all the works.

• Like 1