The Wildfire of Sexual Harassment

So, the question as to what the future will be:

Story from a friend's workplace about a week ago: Christmas party, one drunken guy getting handsy with women. Friend sees what's going on and says to another couple of younger men "don't leave him alone with those women". Young men spend the evening making sure the women are safe.

This is becoming a time for good men to step up.

I asked my hubby if he's afraid of false accusations. He replied that he's not at all concerned. A) Because he knows how to behave and B) Everyone likes him so there's no reason for anyone to make up stories in order to hurt him.

No..

Its not a mans responsibility to police other men or women.

Men and women can get handsy when getting drunk. Ive seen women become disgusting when drunk..just as much if not more than men at time.

Everyone is responsible for their own actions. If a guy or girl touches you and dont like it.. say something.

Women (western women) are the most protected individuals on earth. Majority of the time when a woman is endanger she will be protected.. just like the female in Europe that sent a couple men to jail on false rape claims. The woman who shot a man twice in the head left him in his home to die and not charge with attempted murder. The women at the university who stab her boyfriend and was given a "chance"by the judge and the university.

What about just recently the guy that committed suicide in jail because the court system put him behind bars for not paying 20k a month in child support.

Should women police other women?

Or are you saying men are flawed and have to be micromanaged by other men.

Edited by Sweetfish

Well, men are strong and our rampant and uncontrolled penises are subject only to the authority of our lizard brain so something must be done! Save the wimmins!

That was what I thought as a young man. What an idiot. Getting beaten unconscious a few times solved that problem. MYOB buddy! Real men at work here. Women love our manliness and we will not be denied!

If you're young and wondering what things were like back when Roy Moore was allegedly diddling teenagers, heh, yup. I lived it. I always wondered about the hypocrisy of the guys who had wives, mothers and daughters but viewed other women as fair game. ;)

No..

Men and women can get handsy when getting drunk. Ive seen women become disgusting when drunk..just as much if not more than men at time.

Everyone is responsible for their own actions. If a guy or girl touches you and dont like it.. say something.

Women (western women) are the most protected individuals on earth. Majority of the time when a woman is endanger she will be protected.. just like the female in Europe that sent a couple men to jail on false rape claims. The woman who shot a man twice in the head left him in his home to die and not charge with attempted murder. The women at the university who stab her boyfriend and was given a "chance"by the judge and the university.

What about just recently the guy that committed suicide in jail because the court system put him behind bars for not paying 20k a month in child support.

Should women police other women?

Or are you saying men are flawed and have to be micromanaged by other men.

Dude, what part of equal responsibility do you not understand? You are angry, obviously.

Post a thread with your rage.

If only these two things made one immune to false accusations. Sadly, they do not.

Hubby is a positive person. He's not cynical and doesn't worry about things which are probably not going to happen.

It's one of the things I find so endearing about him.

No..

Everyone is responsible for their own actions. If a guy or girl touches you and dont like it.. say something

Well, the men I mentioned obviously have a different outlook to you.

Scarlett.O'hara
What is appropiate behaviour. Should men in the workplace make sure that they don't try to date any women. That would make their lives easier. We had two women in my workplace get involved with my male co-workers. If things went bad. What would happen.

If a woman is being hit on by a co-worker. She does not like it. Is that sexual harassment. My mom said that when she was being courted by my dad, he was agressive.

I guess I am different. I don't really pursue anyone in my workplace. Also. My buddy M. He dated and then married his wife and they worked together. 6 months after they worked together. She placed herself into another store with the same company. We all worked for the same place. I worked for M's Mother. Anyways. I think they did that, so the other co-workers would not think nepotism.

Anyways. I would like to hear thoughts on this. Basically, I think with this wildfire. An Office romance will be sqaushed or maybe the couple has to go to Human resorces and say they are dating and it a break up occurs they will let them no, so that any possible bad blood will not spill into the work place.

One thing on Matt Lauer. What type of proof do they have. Can anyone do this. Could Kelly Rippa say anything about Ryan Seacrest and get him fired.

I think the biggest issue here isn't so much a question of men in the workplace having to walk around on egg shells around their female colleagues, as it is about certain men (and occasionally women) using their power to intimidate, objectify, harass, and abuse people in the workplace.

The reason it is so publicized right now is about timing. When the New York Times article blew the lid on the seedy underworld of a prolific and notorious abuser, there were multiple victims prepared to share their experiences, and it set off a chain reaction. Those who had remained silent for so long out of fear for their livelihoods and reputations, finally saw their opportunity to be heard, and more importantly to actually be taken seriously.

Have you looked at what these people are being accused of? They're not innocent comments or even flirty banter in the workplace. They are serious accusations of assault and harassment against people in powerful positions, who were in many cases enabled by others in the business.

Clearly it isn't restricted to just Hollywood either, it happens in every profession, and has even sparked a worldwide trend on social media with the #metoo campaign, which illustrates how widespread sexual harassment is. It is a very real problem.

All people deserve to be able to feel comfortable and safe where they are at work, with equal opportunity to advance their careers based on their work and performance.

Over the years I have noticed more employers try to dissuade people from dating coworkers as well because there is a bigger chance for things to go wrong. Especially if one person doesn't take rejection or a breakup well. Signals can be misinterpreted, someone gets upset etc, etc..

I think as long as you remain professional, keep your hands to yourself, keep your pants on, and don't say anything you wouldn't say in front of your other colleagues, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Edited by Scarlett.O'hara
  • Like 2

I'm in my thirties and have never been accused of anything like this. Granted, I tend to err on the side of caution, but I'm confused by the men who seem to think they'll get banished to the corn field if they don't bow down to every woman they interact with each day.

This isn't to say that there aren't cases where a woman will cry wolf, but with a lot of these high-profile cases, it's been a "where there's smoke, there's fire" situation. These dudes weren't just going about their business and accidentally incurred the wrath of an angry woman. These guys pushed boundaries or outright committed crimes.

I can be dense and miss social cues, but that's never led to me groping someone or doing worse.

• Like 2

Had a few reports and a looks like this one is going down a familiar road so I'll close this one up for now until we get a chance to sort through it. ~T