Addiction to cigarettes

• Author
Vaping for sure. I've tried a few different types of vape pens, the box ones don't do it for me. I've been using the MarkTen vapor sticks lately. They are affordable, the website gives great coupons and the stick is thin like a cigarette, so when I hold it it feels like I'm holding a cig. I also like the vape because you can slowly cut down the amt of nicotine in the cartridge to where like another poster said, you are no longer putting nicotine in your body and it's just the pychological thoughts of "smoking" which will make it easier to use the vape pen less and less.

thanks, but my mind is already made up. Im going cold turkey

• Like 2

I'm going to make everybody mad here and tell you that I had very little trouble stopping smoking. But the key is I had to want to. I got sick of how much time and money it was taking, and it wasn't fun anymore. Started making me feel crappy. Didn't taste good. I just got sick of it. I had smoked from 16 to 40-something and I got me a bowl of hard candies one day and stopped. I never picked up another one. When I would get the "feeling," I would step outside and take a few long breaths of fresh air, and that genuinely helped fill that craving to inhale. Once I got to about 3 weeks, I stopped with the hard candies and the only time I craved after that was when I read the diaries I'd written decades before when I was drinking and smoking. Because I was immersed in that life again through reading about it. But I got through that same way.

You have to really want to quit. The physical addiction is NOTHING. I mean, I had a headache quitting caffeine. I had nothing physical quitting smoking. It's all psychological. Also, stay busy. I was busy typing, my new profession at that time. I needed my hands free for that. So plan on staying physically busy doing something next time you quit. Riding a motorcycle or horse would be ideal for me, but I didn't have that at the time. Take up knitting. Whatever, but keep yourself physically busy. Make a schedule to be sure you are before you smoke your last one. Good luck.

P.S. I was inspired by my mother who also stopped cold turkey after 40 years. I figured if she could do it, so could I. Honestly, it was just not that hard. Make up your mind.

I quit about 4 months ago after smoking about half a pack everyday for 15 years. I tried quitting twice or three times before but it didn't work. I think the biggest hindrance was mymentality. If I think about it, there were very few times in my day that I "needed" to smoke such as when I wake up in the morning or after meal, but other times I really just smoked for the hell of it. One of the most difficult thing to swallow when quitting is that you start thinkin about how you can NEVER have one EVER for the rest of your life. If you don't think this way and just think eh I will have one if I really want it but will try to see how long it takes to get that feeling, it's not as bad.

I think the key to quitting is taking your battle one day at a time instead of looking months/years ahead. you win several small battles by fighting the urge for like a week or so, not only you start losing taste for it, but coupling that sense of achievement with noticeably improved physical condition (cleaner face, easier to breath, less tired waking up in the morning, etc..) and not wanting to undo your hard effort, there's higher chance that you will stick with it.

As weird as it sounds, I was so preoccupied thinking about my failing marriage and looking for ways to fix it during the time I was quitting, it constantly made me forget oh it's time to go out and light one up.

• Like 1

Since CA is about to start legal sales of marijuana in a few days, I have a question which may or may not have impacted anyone....

If one has managed to quit smoking tobacco, has occasional use of marijuana (smoking it) created temptation to return to the tobacco? Or are they two completely discrete processes? Was total cessation of smoking of any kind the key or OK on the MJ by itself? When I'm talking MJ I mean the traditional THC stuff, not the new designer stuff.

I think I found another angle, image. How smoking affects the skin. That could have play in the support realm, like hey you're considering this cosmetic stuff at a hefty cost but if you totally quit today perhaps you could avoid it and not only save that cost but also the cost of the tobacco and smoking related health risks.

I noted, as a caregiver, even after some 30 years of smoking, quitting at a young age left my mom with pretty pristine skin, even her face, in her 80's. Maybe that's genes, IDK, but I've seen enough habitual smokers showing premature aging to wonder about the effects and traction of appearance as one avenue of encouragement, especially when image seems to be valued so much in our society.

I put this all together when out for a walk with my support charge and getting the 'cosmetic surgery' talk and also the admission of slippage on the tobacco thing. Hey, I did my part. I've got a couple other angles to work but as always it's up to the person themselves. All we can do as friends and loved ones is offer support and encouragement and, sure, for some, 'tough love'.

Going back to the OP, one thing which came to mind, not regarding cigarettes but rather addition to the bottle and remembering my female friend who died from it, is making the choice to alter one's social circle to that more in line with one's choice to be tobacco-free, same as an alcoholic leaving drinking friends and family and choosing to socialize more with people who don't drink, whether temporarily or permanently. The lady in question always had temptation in front of her with her chosen social circle and, sure, she made the choice to put the alcohol in her body but the social dynamics enabled and/or encouraged that. Does that apply to smoking? IDK, depends on the person I guess. My sample from prior seemed to fail her program when confronted with friends or family who smoked. It was a pull she couldn't resist. Yet. Perhaps in time.

I thought drinking and not smoking would be my biggest hurdle, but once I quit, I quickly became one of those annoying people who can't tolerate smoke around them. Honestly, smoke (and coffee smell) always turned my stomach in the morning and made me feel ill. Once I quit, it made me feel ill and smelled nasty all the time. It can happen that fast.

I thought drinking and not smoking would be my biggest hurdle, but once I quit, I quickly became one of those annoying people who can't tolerate smoke around them. Honestly, smoke (and coffee smell) always turned my stomach in the morning and made me feel ill. Once I quit, it made me feel ill and smelled nasty all the time. It can happen that fast.

I quit smoking 3 years ago. Now my nose is hyper-sensitive to tobacco, I can smell it a mile away. It makes me sick.

• Like 1
  • Author
Since CA is about to start legal sales of marijuana in a few days, I have a question which may or may not have impacted anyone....

If one has managed to quit smoking tobacco, has occasional use of marijuana (smoking it) created temptation to return to the tobacco? Or are they two completely discrete .

I'm about to find it out first hand. I smoke weed, I forget about cigs for 3 hrs or so. Don't have desire to smoke cigs.

It definitely makes you look way older. Take a look at Jeremy clarkson huge smoker for years and he looks terribly old for his age..

I quit smoking 3 years ago. Now my nose is hyper-sensitive to tobacco, I can smell it a mile away. It makes me sick.

Isn't it funny how that happens. I bought a car after I quit smoking and it had never been smoked in. Once while driving a friend somewhere he just suddenly lit up a smoke in my car! I didn't see him do it because I had stepped out to go into a store. When I got back I just told him to open a window and let him smoke instead of telling him to put it out. That smoke bothered me so much. My eyes started to water and I felt like I wasn't getting enough air. For the rest of the day my car stunk of stale tobacco smoke and I was so mad about it. The next time I picked up that same friend I laid out the NO SMOKING in my car rule.

But it was funny because when I was smoker I thought people who made a big deal about the smell of smoke were being over dramatic just to be judgmental. I really did! To me the smell of cigarette smoke was barely noticeable and not offensive at all..LOL

If one has managed to quit smoking tobacco, has occasional use of marijuana (smoking it) created temptation to return to the tobacco? Or are they two completely discrete processes? Was total cessation of smoking of any kind the key or OK on the MJ by itself? When I'm talking MJ I mean the traditional THC stuff, not the new designer stuff.

<snip>

That's a good question. I know my youngest son used to smoke weed on a daily basis. When he quit smoking cigarettes he said he started smoking more weed than usual for a few weeks. Then a couple of years later he quit smoking week and suddenly started to crave tobacco again. So it does seem that smoking one can help ease cravings for the other.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Truncate quote
Isn't it funny how that happens. I bought a car after I quit smoking and it had never been smoked in. Once while driving a friend somewhere he just suddenly lit up a smoke in my car! I didn't see him do it because I had stepped out to go into a store. When I got back I just told him to open a window and let him smoke instead of telling him to put it out. That smoke bothered me so much. My eyes started to water and I felt like I wasn't getting enough air. For the rest of the day my car stunk of stale tobacco smoke and I was so mad about it. The next time I picked up that same friend I laid out the NO SMOKING in my car rule.

But it was funny because when I was smoker I thought people who made a big deal about the smell of smoke were being over dramatic just to be judgmental. I really did! To me the smell of cigarette smoke was barely noticeable and not offensive at all..LOL

also, after I quit I had a noticeable increase in my sense of smell and taste, it was great...

I quit using the patch and carrying a water bottle with me for whenever I had the urge to put something to my mouth.

I used the patch for a very long time though...maybe close to nine months and had to wean off...but I've been smoke free for two and a half years now.

Next I need to lose all this weight I gained :(

I started smoking at 15 and quit at 22. It was very hard, but you got to keep trying, never stop quitting. The first 3 months will be hard, but when it's out of your system you're in the clear unless your dumb and smoke again, then you will be back at square 1.

Here is what helped me:

1) DO go for walks outside, chew gum. Sometimes we just need fresh air and chewing gum keeps the jitters busy.

2) DO NOT ask for drags or puffs. DO NOT buy cigarettes. DO NOT buy cigarellos or cigars. Stay the f away from all tobacco products. **** vaping.

3) DO stop hanging with your smoking friends until you are no longer addicted. Tell them, you love them, but you need some space for 3 months. If your friend offers you say no. If they do it again tell them to f off, tobacco addiction is serious and difficult and if they can't respect your wishes then you have to isolate yourself from them then.

4) Brainwash yourself. Instead of saying I can't I can't, or I'm addicted, say the opposite. I will and I have quit! If you think you are addicted you will be, so say loud and proud I am not addicted and I am no longer a smoker. Live the dilusion until it is real. If you think garbage you will be, so change your thought patterns a bit. Recognize that tobacco is the devil. You are not addicted, you have been poisoned and now it's time to reprogram your brain.

4) Remember, when stressed, tobacco/nicotine doesn't reduce stress. Exercising, walking, thinking properly and learning your triggers and eating healthy does. Remember, you used to be able to solve problems and handle stress as a child without problem long before tobacco ever exhisted, all of us are capable.

5) Avoid drinking and getting drunk. Ppl lose control when they drink and you might relapse. I've known far too many men who "only smoke when they drink" and yeah that doesn't last. ****ing idiot, tobacco is almost more addicting then heroin.

Good luck bro.

Edited by cabbageman
I quit using the patch and carrying a water bottle with me for whenever I had the urge to put something to my mouth.

I used the patch for a very long time though...maybe close to nine months and had to wean off...but I've been smoke free for two and a half years now.

Next I need to lose all this weight I gained :(

I actually lost about 10 lbs when I quit smoking

• Like 1
Off the subject a little, I want to just warn the pot smokers about something. You get used to the smell of pot and can't tell that your whole house or car reeks of it. So even if you think you've aired it out, you haven't. People who don't smoke it can smell it clearly.

that's the truth man...it also applies to cigarettes

• Like 2
I actually lost about 10 lbs when I quit smoking

How in the world did you do that??

I gained close to 40 and I'm short....5 foot 4 inches

I'm a big mush :(

• Like 1

I gave up for two years then took it up again. I'm about to quit again. I will do exactly what I did last time.

I went cold turkey, each pay day I would walk to the bank and withdraw the money I would have spent on cigarettes and then I would walk to another bank, where I opened an account to deposit my cigarette money. It was a great incentive to see my balance grow, I used that money to take my sons on a trip away.

I also joined the gym and went on lots of long walks to keep my mind off it, it also meant I didn't gain any weight, I actually lost some.

• Like 2

you know how alcohol and cigarettes go hand in hand? well I started drinking less after I quit smoking and I think that is what caused the weight loss.

• Like 2
you know how alcohol and cigarettes go hand in hand? well I started drinking less after I quit smoking and I think that is what caused the weight loss.

That's a great way to lose weight!

Congration! :)

I'm sure some of my friends thought I was an alcoholic because I partied so much when I was young and drank like a lush, but I quit drinking for the most part after losing my career and being depressed. I was always able to quit for diets too. I'm lucky I am not a physical addict. Everyone is different though. Some people just go from one addiction to the next. With me I did everything in the world until I got bored with each thing and then just quit. Lucky. My dad was an alcoholic though, in his old age. The most reward I ever got from quitting something was caffeine. Now I do drink it occasionally, but I won't let myself drink it often. I got a lot of benefit from that. Was better able to sleep, no hangovers in the morning (it's just like speed - you crash and get sluggish). Less volatile.

• Like 1

I gained close to 40 and I'm short....5 foot 4 inches

I'm a big mush :(

I gained weight too but I was also going into menopause at the same time so it was a double whammy.

• Like 1
I gained weight too but I was also going into menopause at the same time so it was a double whammy.

I think me too with menopause! I keep counting the months between and I'm hoping it's happening!

So far I am up to four!!! :bunny:

xenawarriorprincess
How does one quit smoking? I've tried once and failed miserably I dont want to do this anymore..what are some tools i can use to quit smoking other than patches or nicotine gums?

My mother was a pack a day smoker for nearly ten years. Something she noticed was that while she was addicted to the nicotine, she was also addicted to having something constantly in her mouth. So she began to suck on sugar-free lifesaver candies. She used to suck on them all the time to help her fight the urge to put a cigarette in her mouth. The constant smoking triggered some sort of oral fixation, but once the oral fixation was alleviated by the lifesavers, she had a much easier time quitting smoking. Now she’s been cigarette free for 8 years and once the cravings were dealt with, she got rid of the need to suck on the candy.

Maybe try putting something else in your mouth to replace the cigarette? IDK, it worked for her…..

Good Luck.

• Like 2
  • Author

Just a quick update..I've failed yet again...i set another date to quit which is on my birthday in February..

Somehow I got to prepare myself mentally...the reason I failed this time I didn't prepare myself and had smokes laying around..would appreciate any tips on how I can prepare mentally...sorry I let you guys down

• 3 weeks later...
kakashisensei

Hey OP,

I guess it's just willpower. That's all. There's no magic cure for addiction. I'm smoking for 3 weeks, and already thinking I'm addicted. I guess you need motive. My motive is I don't want to spend someone elses money for thing that might kill me. Also my b-day is on february too. I'm planing to quit in second semestr of college.